Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sale of house and no electricity in house

Options
  • 04-05-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

i am looking to sell a house at the minute and the tennants have just moved out and there is no electricity. whats my best option to get electricity so i can tidy up and have it int he house for viewings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What do you mean no electricity? Cut off for arrears, or by arrangement as tenants leaving, or never had any?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

i tried calling the old tennant today but they didnt answer - i would expect them to call back after.

electricity was in tennants name so i would say they cancelled it when they moved out.
    What do you mean no electricity? Cut off for arrears, or by arrangement as tenants leaving, or never had any?

I had an issue but it was a payg meter and arrears. Then the supplier demanded 200 euro to remove it. Are you the house owner and does the supplier know this? If you sign up to supply, you may be held to a minimum contract but if tenant takes it on, it should be ok, unless they want to move to another supplier You need to find out the status at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP;get the mrpn number from the meter, and call the supplier to make sure the tenant paid the bill and closed the account and to put the account into your name

Even if the previous tenant did not close the account you can still register and are not liable for any bill the previous tenant ran up

Do you know which supplier they were with?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i am looking to sell a house at the minute and the tennants have just moved out and there is no electricity. whats my best option to get electricity so i can tidy up and have it int he house for viewings?
    Why is there no electricity?
    You dont get cut off for several months ? Just put it in your name

• Advertisement

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, Check the status of the connection for arrears and if a payg meter is installed. I was managing a house where the tenant went home to Nigeria. New tenant moves in and brings supply from their last house with Energia. Then they find a PAYG meter. It can be removed for 200 euro. So it lands in my lap. Via networks, I discover meter is from Bord Gais who are owed money and the meter was put in to continue supply but recover arrears.

So, onto Bord Gais, nope cannot even talk to you, not in your name and supply with Energia. Energia can have it removed but networks will charge 200 to send out a technician.

So, back to Bord Gais. "Who gave you permission to install this, the owner is in the middle east", no answer.
    "Please remove!."
    "Who are you?"
    "Landlords rep"
    "Prove landlord owns it, give us land registry documents"
    "Who the feck are you to ask a person, on the other side of the world, who has never dealt with you, for these documents?"
    Etc Etc Etc

Long story short. Issue solved by moving supply to ME with Bord Gais, then they instructed the meter removal, then account closed, then tenant moved to Energia.
    It took two complaints to the energy regulator, a tenant hassling me, and my BOUNCING of Bord Gais and the Energy regulator.

An almighty pain in the ass and three months of grief.

And the original tenant gone into the sunset.

When the tenant moved out you should have taking a meter reading put it in your name and then transferred to the new tenant when they moved in.

In saying that I just got a 10,670 Euro bill written off.

Long story short is my tenants have not had a bill in 10 years. There was a prepay Meyer which networks removed. We took of tenants when they moved in thatvtgere was a prepay meter. Turns out there wasn’t Electric Ireland thought ther was so never billed. Only came to light when they realised it hadn’t been topped up in a decade and they accused tenants of bypassing Meter.

It that a typo? It says 10k + :eek:

How the feck did a company allow that to build up

It that a typo? It says 10k + :eek:

How the feck did a company allow that to build up
    Yep ? About 1,100 a year. It’s as simple as ESB Networks swapping out a prepay Meter and not telling electric Ireland.

As a result electric Ireland don’t have it setup as a billing account and think the automated system looks after the top up payments ( of which there was none)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ted1 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, the tenant still owes this. Accounts are with tenants, not with properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When the tenant moved out you should have taking a meter reading put it in your name and then transferred to the new tenant when they moved in.

This.

Taking a photograph of the meter-reading should be part of the standard move-out inspection.

follow up to put the supply in the LL's name should also be standard. The electricity companies know this.

Victor wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, the tenant still owes this. Accounts are with tenants, not with properties.
    No one owes it, the grid code says that there should have been several Meyer readings and that the company should have engaged with the user after several months of non payment.

Also the account was in my wife’s name as it was a prepaid meter and changing it wouldn’t serve any benefit (or so she thought ) as they tenant couldn’t /shouldn’t have had electricity without paying for it.

OP has the electricity being disconnected? If so for how long? If over 6 months you’ll need to get the wiring certified.

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i tried calling the old tennant today but they didnt answer - i would expect them to call back after.

electricity was in tennants name so i would say they cancelled it when they moved out.
    I wouldn't bother with the tenants anymore.

Talk to your energy supplier to understand the status of the account. If they moved or closed the account you won't need to bother them.

OP has the electricity being disconnected? If so for how long? If over 6 months you’ll need to get the wiring certified.

It is 2 years and 3 months. I know as I had to do that last year.

This.

Taking a photograph of the meter-reading should be part of the standard move-out inspection.

follow up to put the supply in the LL's name should also be standard. The electricity companies know this.

Not many lls/agents seem to know or do this. I have always taken care of it when moving, at both ends

Oh I get it. The 2 years plus was the time lapse after which the connection itself was declared null and void so you had to start from scratch starting with payment then the certification. sorry; I was 6 months last winter with no power fighting to get the connection sorted.

Advertisement