Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard - New Rangers Manager

• 04-05-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

4 year deal signed.I think it's a good move for him. He'll get too get some much needed experience of all that goes with the day to day running of a big club and football in Scotland is in desperate need for big names.No mention of who he'll be bringing with him,but heard rumous of Gary McAllister as his number two.

No sensible Rangers fan would be expecting a title in his first couple of years so the aim of having them being more competitive again is a reasonable target.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Awful job for anyone to walk into let alone a young manager in their first proper managerial position. He’s on a hiding to nothing unless he performs miracles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rangers fans don't seem to be sensible. Club appears to be in turmoil from top to bottom with unreasonable expectations of what it should be achieving. I think it's a very tough place to start to say the least, but best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

It's about time Liverpool embraced their origins--- this might realign the club with it's Orange roots.

I wish him all the success in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't see it being anything but a disaster for all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The only other club in worse position in the UK are probably Sunderland.

I think Gerrard has made a terrible call, akin to Neville going to Valencia.

I can understand Gerrard wanting to get his first senior role and he probably wanted a bigger job than a League 1/2 side but taking on Rangers, hes on a hiding to nothing, they're in a tinpot league making up the numbers and the club is run like a Sunday league outfit.

Good luck to him though, it will be interesting to see how they do and how long he lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    It's about time Liverpool embraced their origins--- this might realign the club with it's Orange roots.

Very apt username. :rolleyes:

Greybottle wrote: »
    Very apt username. :rolleyes:

What??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That job seems like a bit of a poison chalice, not exactly ideal as his first proper managerial role. Will be interested to see how it pans out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Leaving aside the obvious appalling aspect of associating himself with a club whose supporters frequently shame themselves with their disgraceful sectarian antics, it's a club that is an absolute mess from top to bottom.

His possible outcomes are either:

a) leave the job with Rangers still in a mess and hope that his reputation remains what it was prior to taking on the job.

b) leave the job with Rangers in an even worse state, incurring all the abuse that will come with that.

c) be "successful" in restoring that club with all its negative hallmarks back to prominence in Scottish football.

Don't get why he would want to bother. He must really bear a grudge towards Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Why do all these retired players want to go in at the top(top3) in this case,whatever happened to learning ur trade at lower level and finding out if u can actually do the job. It's like leaving school and going straight in as a MD at a big company,no way he'll last 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Why do all these retired players want to go in at the top(top3) in this case,whatever happened to learning ur trade at lower level and finding out if u can actually do the job. It's like leaving school and going straight in as a MD at a big company,no way he'll last 4 years

Scottish football is nowhere near the top of anything. Providing the board have told Gerard they don't expect him to win the league for at least 3 of his 4 years then he won't get a much easier introduction to football management. Everyone says what a basket case they currently are. Well 2nd is still eminently get-able this season even when they're a basket case.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I am a gers fan and I hope he doesn't 'slip' up! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Scottish football is nowhere near the top of anything. Providing the board have told Gerard they don't expect him to win the league for at least 3 of his 4 years then he won't get a much easier introduction to football management. Everyone says what a basket case they currently are. Well 2nd is still eminently get-able this season even when they're a basket case.

There is not a hope that the part in bold has happened, Rangers will want to do everything possible to stop Celtic getting 10 in a row so while he might have a bit of room next season to build the season after he will be expected to win the league. I don't see how that is possible with the difference in quality between Celtic & Rangers as present and the lack of resources at Rangers to bridge that gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rangers fans are living in cloud cuckoo land and won't be happy unless they win the title. They've got three years to stop Celtic winning 10 in a row and as a club should right off next season entirely to put a squad and system in place but they won't and if Gerrard isn't within three points of Celtic at Christmas, he's in danger of getting sacked.

It's a horrible first job and he's pretty much in the same situation John Barnes was when he went to manage Celtic.

That's exactly what he's trying to do. The SPL level, especially below Celtic, is on par with the lower reaches of League One or the League of Ireland.

sugarman wrote: »
    4 months to get back in shape to be player manager? :P

You joke but he'd be better than 90% of the rest of the squad there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

This could tarnish his reputation.

A good season in 2018/2019 is winning a domestic cup and getting within 10 points of Celtic.

If Rangers fans expect him to deliver an immediate league title, they will be disappointed.

Rangers need a cash injection and strengthening all over the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Nice little ditty from a rangers forum for any of his Irish well wishers to sing along to..

"Stevie G, Who are we?
    We are the boys from the YCV
    %^*& the pope and the IRA
    We will chase those taigs away.

NO SURRENDER"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sure Scottish football isn't the pinnacle but is nowhere near the bottom either. This is a really odd choice by Gerrard. Plenty of lower tier sides, or better run clubs he could have started with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Nice little ditty from a rangers forum for any of his Irish well wishers to sing along to..

"Stevie G, Who are we?
    We are the boys from the YCV
    %^*& the pope and the IRA
    We will chase those taigs away.

NO SURRENDER"

Well that's that then. Every Liverpool fan should hope their legendary captain crashes and burns because of some idiots posting sh*te on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I cant see any upside for Gerrard. I reckon had he stayed he could have gotten the main job at Anfield even with only youth experience etc but this way I just dont understand. Even if he is a success I cant see him coming down getting a big job in England and unfortunately it seems now that a couple of bad years and the perception of you as a manager doesn't recover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He's been managing at youth level for a spell, the same as Guardiola did, the same as Zidane did...

There's no reason to think he'll be as successful - for the record I think he's mad to join a club in such disarray that's so trigger happy sacking managers - but this isn't exactly a huge, unprecedented leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yup I'm sure the board have said, Don't worry about Celtic getting 10 in a row, we'll back you anyway. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

RoryMac wrote: »
    There is not a hope that the part in bold has happened, Rangers will want to do everything possible to stop Celtic getting 10 in a row so while he might have a bit of room next season to build the season after he will be expected to win the league. I don't see how that is possible with the difference in quality between Celtic & Rangers as present and the lack of resources at Rangers to bridge that gap.

They're more likely to be relegated or be starting again at the bottom of the pyramid as 'Rangers 3' than that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Is it really such a bad choice? Celtic are a selling club and the chances are that they will lose a few of their best players this Summer. For all the talk of Rangers being in crisis, they are only 13 points off Celtic. If Celtic were to decline a little, Rangers improve a little, the league could be a reasonably close run thing.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Well that's that then. Every Liverpool fan should hope their legendary captain crashes and burns because of some idiots posting sh*te on a forum.

It's not just some idiots though is it? It's thousands of idiots.

I think a lot who are disgusted by hard right, xenophobic politics of Rangers will hope Gerrard crashes and burns as a result of his association with them. I'm a Liverpool fan and I certainly do.

I love football and support my team, but not over right wing politics I'm disgusted by

Is it really such a bad choice? Celtic are a selling club and the chances are that they will lose a few of their best players this Summer. For all the talk of Rangers being in crisis, they are only 13 points off Celtic. If Celtic were to decline a little, Rangers improve a little, the league could be a reasonably close run thing.

13 points yea.

But Celtic are a game away from a double treble, have put 9 goals past rangers without reply in the two games over the last fortnight, are profitable and have a revenue two and a half times the size of Rangers revenue. They've also got a far better squad.

So yea 13 points in the league, but the gap between the clubs is colossal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a mate who is a massive Liverpool and Stevie G fan. He's also a massive Celtic fan and I'm sure he's one of many Irish lads who support both. Their heads must be in terminal meltdown right now.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    He's been managing at youth level for a spell, the same as Guardiola did, the same as Zidane did...

There's no reason to think he'll be as successful - for the record I think he's mad to join a club in such disarray that's so trigger happy sacking managers - but this isn't exactly a huge, unprecedented leap.

Would you go away out of that. Pep managed Barca B (not a youth team) for two years and knew Barca inside and out and changed the style of play from La Masia up to Barca B so the transition to first team was extremely smooth.

Zidane had been at Madrid since 2006, again knew the club inside out and worked at effectively Championship level with Real B for two years. Not youth teams.

Stevie G managed Liverpool U-18s for 6-8 months.

Quite the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I can't see the fuss or outrage or whatever,who cares,it's a job, probably decent pay, why would religious beliefs come into it for him,never heard him Parise the Lord or anything similar, who gives a fcuk lol.. give it a go Stevie, see what your made off in this aspect of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Much as a lot of Celtic fans will obviously disagree, Scottish football needs a strong Rangers side; Celtic strolling to the league title year after year after year is not particularly exciting, no more than when Rangers was doing likewise back in the 90s. Best of luck to the fella, he's going to need it.

blueser wrote: »
    Much as a lot of Celtic fans will obviously disagree, Scottish football needs a strong Rangers side; Celtic strolling to the league title year after year after year is not particularly exciting, no more than when Rangers was doing likewise back in the 90s. Best of luck to the fella, he's going to need it.

Why does it need a strong Rangers? Why not a strong Hibs? Aberdeen? Kilmarnock??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Rangers are a league 1 side but at least in league 1 he wouldn't have the fishbowl element of constant harassment when he goes out in public. He should have loked to a mid table league 1 team. At least he would have playoffs to go for. The difference between 10th and 6th is only 9 points. His profile might attract a biggish name or 2 at the end of their careers and if he wins promotion or gets close it's a success. Rangers are more likely to fold rather than catch Celtic in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Daft move

blueser wrote: »
    No it doesn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rangers are a league 1 side but at least in league 1 he wouldn't have the fishbowl element of constant harassment when he goes out in public. He should have loked to a mid table league 1 team. At least he would have playoffs to go for. The difference between 10th and 6th is only 9 points. His profile might attract a biggish name or 2 at the end of their careers and if he wins promotion or gets close it's a success. Rangers are more likely to fold rather than catch Celtic in the next couple of years.

League One is much more competitive than Scottish football, I think it'd be much harder to make a managerial name for himself there. Plenty of former top flight players floating in around that level and below can attest to that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Please God make Sol Campbell his number two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

As a 'taig' I'm absolutely delighted for Rangers and their new manager.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    No it doesn’t.

It does unless they are happy achieving only domestic success.

More competition in the league and stronger runs in Europe generates more money from games and sponsorship.

Pretty obvious stuff surely.

When a team is pretty confident about winning 10 in a row 4 or 5 years out (3 now), you know it's a joke of a league

RoboKlopp wrote: »

More competition in the league and stronger runs in Europe generates more money from games and sponsorship.

When a team is pretty confident about winning 10 in a row 4 or 5 years out (3 now), you know it's a joke of a league

Like the Bundesliga??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Why does it need a strong Rangers? Why not a strong Hibs? Aberdeen? Kilmarnock??
    I see where you're coming from. But does Celtic vs either of those three have the appeal of an even Celtic/Rangers match up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's not just some idiots though is it? It's thousands of idiots.

I think a lot who are disgusted by hard right, xenophobic politics of Rangers will hope Gerrard crashes and burns as a result of his association with them. I'm a Liverpool fan and I certainly do.

I love football and support my team, but not over right wing politics I'm disgusted by

Why does is upset you so much? Just shake your head and laugh it off like you do with the gob****es you meet in real life. They're dimwits who don't know better.

You meet Celtic fans who are just as bad with all the pro-IRA songs and going on about huns. It's stupid carry on.

FWIW I think the song you quoted is hilarious. They can be openly sectarian/racist on their forum by using the word 'taig' but the word fuck is banned.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Why does is upset you so much? Just shake your head and laugh it off like you do with the gob****es you meet in real life. They're dimwits who don't know better.

You meet Celtic fans who are just as bad with all the pro-IRA songs and going on about huns. It's stupid carry on.

FWIW I think the song you quoted is hilarious. They can be openly sectarian/racist on their forum by using the word 'taig' but the word fuck is banned.

It doesn't upset me at all. I don't know Gerrard personally, just respected him as a Liverpool player. I'm not overly bothered about rangers or their fans, they're Just a group of
    People I have little time for. I'd consider any IRa supporters in a similar vein btw.

Point I was making related to the opinion of Irish Liverpool fans on Gerrard. Mine is that I don't have any respect for the guy. Not that it's relevant anyway, Gerrard owes nothing to anyone, and the opinion of Irish Liverpool fans is rightly not even early on his horizon.

Regarding your last point; agree entirely. Funny as ****!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That's exactly what he's trying to do. The SPL level, especially below Celtic, is on par with the lower reaches of League One or the League of Ireland.

The size of the club and the pressure on the manager is not directly linked to the current standard of their football. Rangers might not compete with league one clubs right now but when it comes to the expectations it remains in a different world altogether.

Rangers average attendance last season was over 48000 per game, thats 10 times that of half the current league one clubs, and 5 times more than the rest of them bar two outliers in Bradford and Portsmouth. Thats nearly 50000 people turning up to every home game and demanding victories. They are a multiple title winning club with a storied reputation, I detest them but there is no point pretending they aren't a massive club when judged by many metrics.

Personally I hope Gerard crashes and burns hard, both because I want Rangers to fail and because I want clubs in general to stop appointing "big names" ahead of managers who are trying to work their way up the ladder.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

No it doesn’t.

Celtic being competitive in Europe has nothing to do with competition in the SPL. Qualifying for the CL is vital for funding and being champions of Scotland means they are guaranteed a crack at the qualifiers every season. With a bit of experience results might improve when/if they get to the Groups again. A stronger rangers will make no difference whatsoever to Celtic’s competitiveness in the CL. No difference at all. It would just mean that Celtic might face a bit of competition to win the league and get a crack at the qualifiers every summer.

Juventus are also on the verge of 7 in a row league titles. Bayern dominant in Germany. PSG in France. It doesn’t stop them being competitive in the CL.

Celtic not being competitive in the CL recently is similar to once big clubs like Ajax or PSV or Belgian or Scandinavian clubs no longer being competitive in Europe’s top competition. It has nothing to do with the state rangers are in, nothing at all.

This appointment really encapsulates the bizarre mind set of your average Irish EPL supporter... You have lads highlighting Rangers religious background to show that their 'club' is better than Liverpool because an ex player of Liverpool's is now managing Rangers... Then you have Liverpool 'fans' trying to explain it away to convince themselves that this doesn't affect their identity as Liverpool 'fans'...dear oh dear...

It's unbelievable to watch...

TheCitizen wrote: »
    No it doesn’t.

Celtic being competitive in Europe has nothing to do with competition in the SPL. Qualifying for the CL is vital for funding and being champions of Scotland means they are guaranteed a crack at the qualifiers every season. With a bit of experience results might improve when/if they get to the Groups again. A stronger rangers will make no difference whatsoever to Celtic’s competitiveness in the CL. No difference at all. It would just mean that Celtic might face a bit of competition to win the league and get a crack at the qualifiers every summer.

Juventus are also on the verge of 7 in a row league titles. Bayern dominant in Germany. PSG in France. It doesn’t stop them being competitive in the CL.

Celtic not being competitive in the CL recently is similar to once big clubs like Ajax or PSV or Belgian or Scandinavian clubs no longer being competitive in Europe’s top competition. It has nothing to do with the state rangers are in, nothing at all.

Doesn't having one team competing to a half decent standard in Europe mean that the Scottish coefficent is being driven by Celtic only? Thus Celtic need to play 3 or so qualifying rounds every season.

Again, this is surely obvious?

Ridiculous comparing these leagues

This appointment really encapsulates the bizarre mind set of your average Irish EPL supporter... You have lads highlighting Rangers religious background to show that their 'club' is better than Liverpool because an ex player of Liverpool's is now managing Rangers... Then you have Liverpool 'fans' trying to explain it away to convince themselves that this doesn't affect their identity as Liverpool 'fans'...dear oh dear...

It's unbelievable to watch...

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rangers really are a joke.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Rangers and Celtic fans still using religion as abuse. It's like some sort of weird time warp. 'Huns' and 'taigs' insults still being used. Time to move into the 21 century.

• Advertisement
Advertisement