Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard - New Rangers Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Rangers and Celtic fans still using religion as abuse. It's like some sort of weird time warp. 'Huns' and 'taigs' insults still being used. Time to move into the 21 century.

Hun has nothing to do with religion.

Hun has nothing to do with religion.

It's an insult though or is it?

Thought I read a few years ago it was been targeted along with IRA songs etc to be banned from chants at games?

It's an insult though or is it?

Thought I read a few years ago it was been targeted along with IRA songs etc to be banned from chants at games?

It’s an insult, same as manc/scouse scum, but not to do with religion.

It’s not on any banned list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Doesn't having one team competing to a half decent standard in Europe mean that the Scottish coefficent is being driven by Celtic only? Thus Celtic need to play 3 or so qualifying rounds every season.

Again, this is surely obvious?
    The funding Celtic get with CL participation dwarfs what they get from domestic TV rights, that won't change if there is a "strong rangers". They don't need "a strong rangers". Celtic need to keep qualifying for the CL year after year and with experience and the funding that comes with it results will improve.

Ridiculous comparing these leagues

Those leagues are also dominated by one club was the point.

Your point was that Celtic don't face competition domestically and that that harms their potential in Europe. It doesn't, it makes no difference at all. Celtic are uncompetitive in recent years in the CL for other reasons. The CL has increasingly become the preserve of a handful of clubs from 4 leagues, with big clubs from other leagues like Ajax, PSV, Celtic etc. no longer competitive. Rangers becoming stronger will make no difference to that, none whatsoever. I'm not sure you really grasp this.

It’s an insult, same as manc/scouse scum, but not to do with religion.

It’s not on any banned list.

Fair enough. I think it was being campaigned to get it banned at one stage.

What about Proddy bastard? Or dirty taig? :pac:

Bizzare insults by what I'm guessing are pretty uneducated/ignorant people in this day and age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Scottish football is nowhere near the top of anything. Providing the board have told Gerard they don't expect him to win the league for at least 3 of his 4 years then he won't get a much easier introduction to football management. Everyone says what a basket case they currently are. Well 2nd is still eminently get-able this season even when they're a basket case.

That's exactly what he's trying to do. The SPL level, especially below Celtic, is on par with the lower reaches of League One or the League of Ireland.

Probably didn't write what I was trying to say,but by going to the likes of Rangers instead of say brentford the pressure is going to b on him from the start,no room for error. PS Rangers are NOT a big club

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The funding Celtic get with CL participation dwarfs what they get from domestic TV rights, that won't change if there is a "strong rangers". They don't need "a strong rangers". Celtic need to keep qualifying for the CL year after year and with experience and the funding that comes with it results will improve.

Those leagues are also dominated by one club was the point.

Your point was that Celtic don't face competition domestically and that that harms their potential in Europe. It doesn't, it makes no difference at all. Celtic are uncompetitive in recent years in the CL for other reasons. The CL has increasingly become the preserve of a handful of clubs from 4 leagues, with big clubs from other leagues like Ajax, PSV, Celtic etc. no longer competitive. Rangers becoming stronger will make no difference to that, none whatsoever. I'm not sure you really grasp this.

So, lets just say Rangers were competing to a decent level, and meant that Scottish clubs got back to a stage where they could get into the group stages automatically, or even the final qualifying rounds. Are you saying this wouldn't be a good thing?

Even better again would be 3 teams competing domestically and in Europe. Not gonna happen probably, but the more teams competing in Europe in a league the better it is for that league. Can't believe you are struggling to get this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Disappointing to see Gerrard take over the club, Rangers fans/club are just vile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Once he has associated himself with the club, which has a lot of issues, he'll be forever hated by a lot of folk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'm a Celtic fan but I really loved Gerrard growing up unreal player gave absolutely everything on the pitch and seems a decent bloke, so I feel odd about this. Why that vile club.
    He must either know something like Rodgers going back to England, or he is completely thick and ill advised.

So, lets just say Rangers were competing to a decent level, and meant that Scottish clubs got back to a stage where they could get into the group stages automatically, or even the final qualifying rounds. Are you saying this wouldn't be a good thing?

Even better again would be 3 teams competing domestically and in Europe. Not gonna happen probably, but the more teams competing in Europe in a league the better it is for that league. Can't believe you are struggling to get this.
    It might mean less qualifying rounds after a few years but it won't make any difference whatsoever one way or the other to making Celtic more competitive or less competitive in the CL Groups.

You're ignoring the points I'm making about the CL becoming the preserve of a handful of clubs from 4 leagues and that big clubs in other leagues are no longer competitive in the CL. Those clubs like Ajax and Celtic et al still want to be in it to get the funding but they've been reduced to scrapping for a point here and there and maybe qualify for the EL as a 3rd place team in recent years.

If rangers get stronger (which I don't see happening with the appointment of Gerrard anyway) that won't change that, it won't affect it at all. In reality it would just mean they have competition again domestically to access the CL.

For Celtic to become a bit more competitive they just need to keep qualifying and accessing the funding via qualifying. I've spelt this out a couple of times for you. You either don't want to or appear to be incapable of understanding that.

'Surely this is obvious' at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would have thought what Rangers needed right now was somebody who has been managing for at least 10 years and knows how a club should be run, and how to go about changing things in that direction.

It might mean less qualifying rounds after a few years but it won't make any difference whatsoever one way or the other to making Celtic more competitive or less competitive in the CL Groups.

You're ignoring the points I'm making about the CL becoming the preserve of a handful of clubs from 4 leagues and that big clubs in other leagues are no longer competitive in the CL. Those clubs like Ajax and Celtic et al still want to be in it to get the funding but they've been reduced to scrapping for a point here and there and maybe qualify for the EL as a 3rd place team in recent years.

If rangers get stronger (which I don't see happening with the appointment of Gerrard anyway) that won't change that, it won't affect it at all. In reality it would just mean they have competition again domestically to access the CL.

For Celtic to become a bit more competitive they just need to keep qualifying and accessing the funding via qualifying. I've spelt this out a couple of times for you. You either don't want to or appear to be incapable of understanding that.

'Surely this is obvious' at this stage.

I think you are totally blinkered into thinking a stronger league wouldn't be good for Celtic.

I'm not ignoring the Ajax/PSV. In fact it reinforces my point that better performances in Europe means your coefficent increases, thus meaning less qualiiers.

The Dutch teams have to qualify now because they have performed poorly in recent years, and are not gauranteed a place anymore. The Netherlands also needs a few teams competing in Europe to bring the coefficent up, same as another country we are are talking about. Ring any bells?!! I thought everyone was aware of the coefficents.

I'm not actually sure if you're serious now tbh!

I think you are totally blinkered into thinking a stronger league wouldn't be good for Celtic.

I'm not ignoring the Ajax/PSV. In fact it reinforces my point that better performances in Europe means your coefficent increases, thus meaning less qualiiers.

The Dutch teams have to qualify now because they have performed poorly in recent years, and are not gauranteed a place anymore. The Netherlands also needs a few teams competing in Europe to bring the coefficent up, same as another country we are are talking about. Ring any bells?!! I thought everyone was aware of the coefficents.

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

As I thought :cool:

• Advertisement

League of Ireland is very competitive, (as in different teams win it regularly) why are they **** in Europe? Because they have no money to compete with Arabs and Super clubs.

League of Ireland is very competitive, (as in different teams win it regularly) why are they **** in Europe? Because they have no money to compete with Arabs and Super clubs.

:confused:

Nobody argued otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A stronger Scottish league would mean that Celtic are a bit more tested domestically and thus a bit more battle-hardened in Europe anyway. A whole season of having to unlock the 10-man defence in front of them is the worst preparation they could have for Europe.

Nobody argued otherwise.

So why expect Celtic to do any better in champions league just because Rangers are competitve? Wouldnt Aberdeen or Hibs being competitive have the same affect? We are qualifying for it regularly and got to the knockout stages under Lennon without Rangers. The only thing Celtic needs Rangers for is a laugh

osarusan wrote: »
    A stronger Scottish league would mean that Celtic are a bit more tested domestically and thus a bit more battle-hardened in Europe anyway. A whole season of having to unlock the 10-man defence in front of them is the worst preparation they could have for Europe.

Of course a stronger league overall would help, tha but that won't happen wont happen with financial doping and stockpiling of talent in the bigger leagues, and indeed, Celtics stockpiling of talent in the SPL.

• Advertisement

The country coefficient doesn’t count towards your coefficient points anymore unless you have a seriously low coefficient. So other Scottish teams doing well in Europe will have zero effect on Celtic. This change comes in for the coming season. Seems you aren’t as aware of the coefficients as you thought you were.

So why expect Celtic to do any better in champions league just because Rangers are competitve? Wouldnt Aberdeen or Hibs being competitive have the same affect? We are qualifying for it regularly and got to the knockout stages under Lennon without Rangers. The only thing Celtic needs Rangers for is a laugh

If Rangers were in Europe and competing to a half decent level Scotland's coefficent would be better and thus leading to a higher chance of a Scottish team in the group stages every year. That's what I've been saying all along!!

If Rangers were in Europe and competing to a half decent level Scotland's coefficent would be better and thus leading to a higher chance of a Scottish team in the group stages every year. That's what I've been saying all along!!

Rangers are taking out emergency loans every 4/6 months to keep the lights on. They aren’t going to be competing anywhere at a decent level any time soon. Everything they own, bar the stadium, is tied up as collateral on loans.

The country coefficient doesn’t count towards your coefficient points anymore unless you have a seriously low coefficient. So other Scottish teams doing well in Europe will have zero effect on Celtic. This change comes in for the coming season. Seems you aren’t as aware of the coefficients as you thought you were.

Didn't actually know that. Next season the 1st season?

My points still stand from previous seasons

Didn't actually know that. Next season the 1st season?

My points still stand from previous seasons

Yeah changes start this coming season. 2018/19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Can't believe he'd stoop so low as to manage a "blue" team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Rangers are a club who have no sustainable business, they are relying on short term handouts from the directors. I am intrigued as to what money Gerrard thinks he has for the summer transfer window and where it is coming from. The expectation and entitlement from Rangers and their fans bears no relation to reality.... this will hit Gerrard in the middle of the face the minute he loses a game to Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    It's about time Liverpool embraced their origins--- this might realign the club with it's Orange roots.

I wish him all the success in the world.

I'll let in on a secret, all English clubs are actually English in origin and they actually still play their games in England.

Oh and here is the kicker, the English Queen is the head of their state Church (Church of England)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

"Let's go"?? Ha! Bring it on Slippy.

This is going to be an hilarious disaster!

We welcome the facade of a chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I wish him well.

I couldn't give a ****e who he signed for as I'm not religious nor do I live in the past like both sides of Glasgow and their Irish/Northern Irish fans.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I wish him well.

I couldn't give a ****e who he signed for as I'm not religious nor do I live in the past like both sides of Glasgow and their Irish/Northern Irish fans.

I see you don’t stereotype either. Good lad. A rare type too, a Liverpool fan that doesn’t live in the past lol.

I follow Celtic since I'm a child get to as many games as I can. I'm athiest and couldn't care less about Palestine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I follow Celtic since I'm a child get to as many games as I can. I'm athiest and couldn't care less about Palestine

Bullsh*t. All Celtic fans are mass produced in a tabernacle in the catacombs of The Vatican and all Rangers fans are the spawn of the Paisley family lineage and their sash wearing, devil whores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I see you don’t stereotype either. Good lad. A rare type too, a Liverpool fan that doesn’t live in the past lol.

I hardly meant every Celtic or rangers fan. My point is that both fans are as bad as eachother and I think Irish fans now hating Gerrard are being ridiculous.

Yes in a Liverpool fan but I don't live in the past. I think it's stupid when Liverpool fans sing songs about Istanbul 2005.

Regarding his choice of where to work, I don't think it will end as a success. It simply can't. They can't compete with Celtics transfer budget. I just hope it isn't a massive failure. He will learn regardless and will grow as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I'll let in on a secret, all English clubs are actually English in origin and they actually still play their games in England.

Oh and here is the kicker, the English Queen is the head of their state Church (Church of England)

Swansea is Welsh not English :D

What the feck is wrong with fans singing about historic teams and trophy wins? 05 wasn't that long ago we are still singing about 67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I hardly meant every Celtic or rangers fan. My point is that both fans are as bad as eachother and I think Irish fans now hating Gerrard are being ridiculous.

Hate is a bit strong, but disliking, or losing respect for is a fair point of view.

Gerrard is manager of a club who have been strongly anti Irish and anti immigrant for most of their history, such to the extent that they even had a policy against signing Catholics. That hatred is still significant within the fan base.

Gerrard has chosen to join that organisation. It's not unreasonable for people to then judge him on that as the sort of person who doesn't have much of an issue in associating himself with that sort of hard right bigotry.

Anyway a fine welcome at the door for him yesterday. Nothing like a wee chant about killing fenians to welcome the new man!

https://mobile.twitter.com/_w_scott1/status/992399469919592451/video/1

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Hate is a bit strong, but disliking, or losing respect for is a fair point of view.

Gerrard is manager of a club who have been strongly anti Irish and anti immigrant for most of their history, such to the extent that they even had a policy against signing Catholics. That hatred is still significant within the fan base.

Gerrard has chosen to join that organisation. It's not unreasonable for people to then judge him on that as the sort of person who doesn't have much of an issue in associating himself with that sort of hard right bigotry.

Anyway a fine welcome at the door for him yesterday. Nothing like a wee chant about killing fenians to welcome the new man!

Liverpool were the anti Irish anti Catholic club of that city, with fans attending Orange Order parades. Which is not to say that's awful - it's history now - but more like, things change.

Liverpool were the anti Irish anti Catholic club of that city, with fans attending Orange Order parades. Which is not to say that's awful - it's history now - but more like, things change.

Well that video was yesterday, so obviously not so much around Govan direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Both Everton and Liverpool were form by the same person so I guess both are

Liverpool fans don't care about Rangers and Celtic backward bigots.

Thankfully the move to the premiership never materialised or we'd have to listen to them both every week, Leave them in their own time warp.

Thankfully the move to the premiership never materialised or we'd have to listen to them both every week, Leave them in their own time warp.

Celtic are irrelevant to any point I was making.

The point is about Irish people who have issue with far right politics

Celtic are irrelevant to any point I was making.

The point is about Irish people who have issue with far right politics

I'm Irish. Couldn't care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Is it not possible Gerrard took the job as he saw it as a big club and a chance to get up the ladder quicker than one should? That maybe he operates outside of the bollox the Glasgow sides historically brought and sees it purely as a football management job?
    Or does anyone have proof he's an orange bigot who hates the Irish?
    No doubt if he'd become coach of Celtic all of this would've been said with the shoe on the other foot

I think it's a stupid move and will end in tears as rangers are a basket case but those judging his character based on taking a potentially once in a lifetime step into high level coaching need to come into the real world

I'm Irish. Couldn't care less.

I'm not really sure what your point is here?

Different people have issues with different things. I had assumed that much was obvious.

Obviously the hard right beliefs Rangers stand for isn't an issue for you or plenty of others. That's fine if that's your belief. Similarly though there's plenty like myself who can't reconcile their own principals with the sort Rangers represent.

I'm not making any blanket statement nor suggesting all Irish Liverpool fans will have an issue with Gerrard. Busy some will, specifically those, like myself, that can't see past the DUP/UKIP demographic that Rangers represents

• Advertisement

Different people have issues with different things. I had assumed that much was obvious.

Obviously the hard right beliefs Rangers stand for isn't an issue for you or plenty of others. That's fine if that's your belief. Similarly though there's plenty like myself who can't reconcile their own principals with the sort Rangers represent.

I'm not making any blanket statement nor suggesting all Irish Liverpool fans will have an issue with Gerrard. Busy some will, specifically those, like myself, that can't see past the DUP/UKIP demographic that Rangers represents

Yeah, my point is that most Irish Liverpool fans couldn't give a tuppence about Rangers. They just care about Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This all makes sense. The DUP shout is pretty stark actually historically. Didn't realise Rangers were supposedly anti immigration etc. Probably more a reflection of UKIP being a farce (they only got .5% of the vote in Glasgow last year) so it's not as visible in politics anymore as it would've been

Yeah, my point is that most Irish Liverpool fans couldn't give a tuppence about Rangers. They just care about Liverpool.

Yea. Plenty happy to read the sun and vote Tory too. Different folks different strokes

Yea. Plenty happy to read the sun and vote Tory too. Different folks different strokes

This is getting weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You'd wonder if they had the exposure of the league without the protection of being the local Billy Big Bollockses, would they be able to hold on to the sectarian bull**** to the same degree.

Football has come a long way in the past 30 years in England, and the holdouts tend to be at smaller, less exposed clubs.

A few games behind closed doors and bans and you'd start to see change, I'd reckon.
    How do the Scottish FA handle it? Or do they just ignore it?

As far as Stevie goes, I'd agree that he doesn't have the experience in general, with the club in particular and that it's a total basket case. Not only do I not see him succeeding, I can't even envisage what success would look like.

It'd have been nice for him to stick around Liverpool and learn his craft for a little longer and then maybe start looking at the Netherlands, Belgium, Scandinavia or the Championship.

I don't know what value there is in comparisons to Pep or Zidane. They were different kinds of players, and they had a broader footballing education. More generally, the low footballing IQ in England and the whole culture around how the game is considered does not, IMO, appear to lend itself to creating good managers. One can only hope that Gerrard had enough drummed into him by the likes of Benitez or from playing with players like Alonso, and perhaps latterly having a chance to learn from Klopp, that he'll make a better fist of it, but none of the PL's recent English stars have shown any such capabilities, irrespective of the quality of coaches and players around them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement