Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand balls in golf shops

Options
  • 04-05-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the main brand shops carry second hand balls in store? I know that most of them have them available online but I wasn't sure. I was going to try Halpenny and McGuirks in Swords this evening to pick up some balls and was wondering if anyone here knew if they'd likely have them.

Comments

not sure about Swords store but I know halpenny in carrickmines usually have refurb balls in baskets near the till

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Pro shops usually have 5 for €10-12 new middle of the road balls ( Srixon AD333, Bridgestone etc)

I wouldn't use refurbed golf balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

How can you refurbish a golf ball, bar clean them.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

McGuirkes have boxes of "lake" balls. You can get a dozen Pro V1's for €25, I think. They are in very good condition and I use them in the winter or if I play a course with a lot of water. You can also get other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can I suggest Seed golf balls.

€10 for a dozen of their distance balls but they don't feel like stones, and €25 for a dozen of their "ProV" model.

I've been using both for a few months now and they are very very good balls and excellent value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

How can you refurbish a golf ball, bar clean them.

https://youtu.be/JXLSsQU7uNI

• Registered Users Posts: 51,837 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

According to a professional I know it matters little what golfballs an amateur uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

According to a professional I know it matters little what golfballs an amateur uses.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why?

I'd say the answer is equally pretentious tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,837 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why?
    He says that the amateur player cannot control the ball the way a professional can and that tour professionals get to try various types to find the one that most suits them.

Nothing pretentious at all Greebo. I'm only stating what I was told be it true or false. No need for that sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Insecurity Guard

He says that the amateur player cannot control the ball the way a professional can and that tour professionals get to try various types to find the one that most suits them.

The fact that current average male handicaps are pretty much exactly where they were 30 years ago bears this out. Most amateurs lack both the clubhead speed and consistency in contact that would make the type of ball actually being hit much of a factor at all.

Having said that, if you believe that you play better with the balls the pros use, maybe that's all that matters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Nothing pretentious at all Greebo. I'm only stating what I was told be it true or false. No need for that sh1t.

So hitting a molitor is the same as a Prov for amateurs...your "professional" is full of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I didn't say you were pretentious, the opinion from the professional is.
    The fact that current average male handicaps are pretty much exactly where they were 30 years ago bears this out. Most amateurs lack both the clubhead speed and consistency in contact that would make the type of ball actually being hit much of a factor at all.

Having said that, if you believe that you play better with the balls the pros use, maybe that's all that matters...

There is a big difference between saying "some" or even "most", the statement from the pro was a sweeping one covering all amateurs.
    I for one would beg to differ and I'm sure in not alone considering the number of amateur golfers who are a lot better than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insecurity Guard

GreeBo wrote: »
    There is a big difference between saying "some" or even "most", the statement from the pro was a sweeping one covering all amateurs.

I for one would beg to differ and I'm sure in not alone considering the number of amateur golfers who are a lot better than I am.

Yes agreed - I was referring to the general mass of players with handicaps in the mid to late teens.

Advertisement