Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Disabled Parking sticker up in NI ...

Options
  • 04-05-2018 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Was listening to local radio station this morning - someone registered disabled in Sligo drove up to Enniskillen , parked up their car into disabled space .... came back to a parking ticket on the car!

In one way I was surprised , but then in another way I suppose it is a different country with different rules .. but if you are disabled in the republic of Ireland , your disablement is not going to magically disappear as soon as you drive over a border!

So i wonder why they just dont do these stickers for use anywhere in europe wide (mind you then another problem when Norn' Ireland leaves the EU then i suppose?)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ticket was probably for having a free state reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was listening to local radio station this morning - someone registered disabled in Sligo drove up to Enniskillen , parked up their car into disabled space .... came back to a parking ticket on the car!

In one way I was surprised , but then in another way I suppose it is a different country with different rules .. but if you are disabled in the republic of Ireland , your disablement is not going to magically disappear as soon as you drive over a border!

So i wonder why they just dont do these stickers for use anywhere in europe wide (mind you then another problem when Norn' Ireland leaves the EU then i suppose?)

Scratching my head here as I was sure the blue badges are international> Ah but see? UK is not EU?
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/blue-badge-scheme/using-your-blue-badge/

But yes. EU is OK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Graces7 wrote: »
    UK is not EU?

They haven't left yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There has to be another reason for the ticket, Andy. ROI Disabled Permits may be used in Northern Ireland and vice versa.

I’m just looking at my dads badge and it says......

“This permit entitles the holder to the special local parking facilities available in the Member State concerned.”

Below that text is a box with. IRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

There has to be another reason for the ticket, Andy. ROI Disabled Permits may be used in Northern Ireland and vice versa.

interesting - even the radio show DJ was scratching his head and could not understand it, I mean it seems very complicated if thats the craic . I suppose the disabled driver just parked up and thought nothing more of it not realising

I’m just looking at my dads badge and it says......

“This permit entitles the holder to the special local parking facilities available in the Member State concerned.”

Below that text is a box with. IRL
    Disabled (also known as 'European') Parking Cards can be used by disabled people within the 28 member states of the EU and are also recognised in the US and Canada. This means that when you travel abroad, you can bring your European Parking Card with you. However, it is important to remember that you must observe the motoring laws and restrictions on parking in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I've never had any issues using a ROI permit in Newry whenever I have brought my mother up.

Dunno.

My dads is called

PARKING PERMIT FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

It was issued last year.

If someone has a permit there’s good reason for it. Bit ****ty giving them a ticket regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Andy, Srameen it’s a fine day turn off the WiFi and grab some fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

El Weirdo wrote: »
    They haven't left yet.

Yes I know that, but on the link I sent you there were 'special provisions and conditions " for using the badge in Norn and the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In many car parks in the UK with Disabled Parking spaces you are still expected to pay the parking charge. Its not a free pass for free parking.

Jimmy Dags wrote: »

:confused:
    I'm only in from a very active day outside since 8 this morning. Take your own advice

my3cents wrote: »
    In many car parks in the UK with Disabled Parking spaces you are still expected to pay the parking charge. Its not a free pass for free parking.

Car parks have their own rules. Would never have known

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/rights-and-responsibilities-blue-badge-holders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

From your link.....

Council owned ‘off-street’ charged car parks

You may park in disabled parking bays, however, a Blue Badge does not entitle you to free parking. You must make sure your vehicle is parked wholly within the markings of the parking bay or you could be issued with a Penalty Charge Notice.

I suspect they used a disabled spot but didn't pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You sent that post via carrier pigeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I was outside earlier on today (not as early as 8am though :) ) - its not bad, temperatures have risen a bit ,but where is the sun? - its a bit overcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Another "Dags Day Afternoon" Jimmy. Go and Tell us how your fine day went later, in true AH spirit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Andy, I'm going to come straight out and say this, story sounds like a load of balls (not your version, the original tale told to the radio station)

A disabled badge is a disabled badge no matter if the car is in the North or the U.K, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the USA etc all use the same logo on the badge.

Here's what I suspect may have happened in this case, people parked in a disabled spot without a sign displayed in their car, later they play the victim.

I was once clamped for completely accidentally parking in a disabled spot (the disabled sign was painted into the tarmac, which my car covered when I parked) and was advised (by the declamper) that if I knew anyone with a disabled badge, just say they were with you, and the badge was missed by the clamper, if I wanted to appeal it.

Lastly, maybe the lad issuing the ticket just flat out missed the badge. Sounds unbelievable I know, but stranger things have happened.

Advertisement