If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax HDR1100S 1TB

Options
  • 04-05-2018 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

HI There,
    I have the Humax HDR1100S 1TB, purchased from you.  Thanks very much!
    All is good so far, but the online "players" don't seem to work for me.
    I understand that BBC do not allow access to online viewing of their content outside of the UK, so that is no surprise.  But, for instance, the Channel 4 catchup service (4OD or All4 or whatever it is called now) is available in Ireland, so I would have thought that it should work through the Humax.  Am I doing something wrong or is it just not available in Ireland. 
    I'm not complaining about the box.  I bought it understanding that it is designed for UK, so not features would work in Ireland.  But I am HOPING that I can get the 4OD service to work.  Have you any experience with this?
    If not, I can ask on the satellite boards, but thought that you might have some direct insight.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

CarPark2 wrote: »
    HI There,
    I have the Humax HDR1100S 1TB, purchased from you.  Thanks very much!
    All is good so far, but the online "players" don't seem to work for me.
    I understand that BBC do not allow access to online viewing of their content outside of the UK, so that is no surprise.  But, for instance, the Channel 4 catchup service (4OD or All4 or whatever it is called now) is available in Ireland, so I would have thought that it should work through the Humax.  Am I doing something wrong or is it just not available in Ireland. 
    I'm not complaining about the box.  I bought it understanding that it is designed for UK, so not features would work in Ireland.  But I am HOPING that I can get the 4OD service to work.  Have you any experience with this?
    If not, I can ask on the satellite boards, but thought that you might have some direct insight.
    Thanks.
    Hi CarPark2.

I would have thought that they would have all been UK based services unfortunately.

However I will give Humax a call to check so that we both are 100% certain.

I'll revert back ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭CarPark2

Thanks. 
    Given that 4OD is available online in Ireland without any restrictions, I had hoped that it would also be available through the Humax.

Thanks. 
    Given that 4OD is available online in Ireland without any restrictions, I had hoped that it would also be available through the Humax.
    Hey CarPark2.

I'm not sure how they work it to be honest. Sometimes televisions and other products that can access apps are limited due to licensing. Take Sony for example. Their android televisions have access to limited content via the Google Play store but on a PC or Laptop there are endless app.

You might be able to get around it be changing the location on your box to UK but then I'm not sure if you would lose any apps dedicated for the South of Ireland.

I'll have to wait until the morning to get someone in Humax as they are now closed for the day unfortunately.

Thanks Kenny.
    I have location set as Scotland.  They asked me for a UK postcode as part of setup, and the only one I knew was one in Scotland where I spent a summer working! 
    I would guess that permissions are based on IP address, as the players use internet connection rather than the satellite signal.

Thanks Kenny.
    I have location set as Scotland.  They asked me for a UK postcode as part of setup, and the only one I knew was one in Scotland where I spent a summer working! 
    I would guess that permissions are based on IP address, as the players use internet connection rather than the satellite signal.
    Hey CarPark2.

I have had a check with Humax this morning and they confirm that for the apps it uses your IP address to determine your location and will block access if its not within the UK.

• Advertisement

Thanks for checking this Kenny.

Thanks for checking this Kenny.
    No problem at all CarPark2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Thanks Kenny.

You're geo blocked,I've had humax for years,40D etc AFAIK is subscription based now(paid for) as part of a sky package,it similar,won't get I player either,. VPN will help,but not via a humax box, theres a way around it here on boards I read,but I don't see how,go into the humax forum all answers there',better off with an android box, VPN,and you'll get all the TV catch up services,p s. Best android box at present is the Nvidia shield

Thanks Kenny.

You're geo blocked,I've had humax for years,40D etc AFAIK is subscription based now(paid for) as part of a sky package,it similar,won't get I player either,.  VPN will help,but not via a humax box, theres a way around it here on boards I read,but I don't see how,go into the humax forum all answers there',better off with an android box, VPN,and you'll get all the TV catch up services,p s. Best android box at present is the Nvidia shield
    Cheers for the info Corks Finest.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.