Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooper pegler knapsack

Options
  • 04-05-2018 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Just replaced the diaphragm on my cooper Pegler knapsack.

Anyone ever do this, cant get the pressure to build properly. I can hear hissing where the high and low switch inside is.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Anyone ever do this, cant get the pressure to build properly. I can hear hissing where the high and low switch inside is.

Any ideas?

Did you put it the right way up? There is a right and a wrong way, but its fairly obvious which way it should go.

Next up after the diaphragm is the pressure release valve which iirc is a red cap with a rubber washer inside it thats under the red pressure adjuster. Push down and turn the pressure adjuster and you'll find you can turn it to a position where it comes off. Below it is a spring and the release valve. Careful you don't loose either. The release valve has to be the right way up (rubber valve downwards) and needs some fiddling around to get it in correctly (it often flips over when you put it back in).

All the bits are available at a price and this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooper-Pegler-750308-Service-Pack/dp/B01DT10LSM seems a good price - use addresspal or similar. Edit> Thought that seemed cheap its probably the wrong service kit (picture is of the right one description is different) https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Cooper-Pegler-750405-CP15-CP3-Classic-Service-Pack-1982-Onwards/220700650670 is more likely the one you want and as I was expecting more expensive than a complete new cheap knapsack sprayer.

There are a good few other seals you can replace but in 40 years of using them (my CP15 is 20 years old) I've only had to do the diaphragm (too many times :mad:) and the pressure release valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Any ideas?

I think I might have the parts assembly manual for the CP3 somewhere - read through my3cents post and if no joy, I will look for the manual and email it to you, if required. I did replace the diaphragm some years ago and thankfully it worked fine after that.

Maidhci wrote: »
    I think I might have the parts assembly manual for the CP3 somewhere - read through my3cents post and if no joy, I will look for the manual and email it to you, if required. I did replace the diaphragm some years ago and thankfully it worked fine after that.

I don't remember ever seeing a CP3 or CP20 manual so went looking

http://www.cooper-pegler.com/articles/cooperpegler/r/679011_CP15_CP3_CLASSIC.pdf

it has all the parts but is a bit misleading as parts that come out of the top of the sprayer are shown underneath it.

If you look at the main body of the tank on page 19 below there is a spring and the two componets below that (which come out when you take the pressure adjuster out) are the pressure relief valve - a round piece of black rubber pushed into a small (normally red) plastic cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 richie574

Hi, just wondering do you know any store that has Cooper Pegler pressure gauges? They stopped manufacturing them a few years back because of lack of sales but I’m looking for 2.

Sorry I have a CP3 classic and a newer CP15 but I wouldn’t have stripped down the diaphragm yet as they wouldn’t be getting constant use. Try to take pictures before and during parts dissemble ( I know it’s too late) also I have a very bad habit of leaving things dissembled for too long like power washers which can make it tricky on your mind when reinstallation of new parts which can be very frustrating.

Never seen a pressure gauge on a CP3 or CP15 in 40 years of using them? Didn't CP make pressure gauges as a separate business years back? I've only ever used the the built in hi/low (H/L) pressure release valve built into the pump, 15psi low and 45 psi high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 richie574

my3cents wrote: »
    Never seen a pressure gauge on a CP3 or CP15 in 40 years of using them? Didn't CP make pressure gauges as a separate business years back? I've only ever used the the built in hi/low (H/L) pressure release valve built into the pump, 15psi low and 45 psi high.
    my3cents wrote: »

Ya they wouldn’t be very common. I didn’t realise they had a separate business that made pressure gauges! I know yes i have mine on low especially as I use it for herbicides around gardens to reduce drift. I just wanted them because I like sprayers and tools. I have two cooper Pegler’s CP3 and CP15 and a berthoud pro comfort (which is way more comfortable) tbh if I had known about the berthoud I never would have been the CP15 and the CP3 is years old as my dad bought it years ago but in the box there was no spray handle or trigger so I bought one online that is extendable. Thanks anyway.

I think there is an inline 1 bar pressure reducer for the CP knapsacks but maybe not the 3 or 15?

I know what you mean they were never designed for user comfort.

Don't take it as gospel that CP made pressure gauges but I'm fairly sure I've seen some old ones with the Cooper Pegler name on them.

Advertisement