Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brighton vs Man United, K.O. 20:00, Sky Sports PL/Main Event

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sounds like your definition of character is going through a league season unbeaten and not allowing for any off-days whatsoever.

If thats what you took from the words written down then there is not much I can do to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

blueser wrote: »
    Same here. United obviously weren't too concerned with that game tonight. If they were, they wouldn't have put in a performance like that.

Unfortunately we have seen numerous performances like this from Utd this season including two CL quarter final games so I wouldn’t gloss over it as an end of season game.

A cup final ina couple of weeks and a couple of first team regulars out injured and more fringe players picked. That alone should be incentive enough for those players to try and make an impression.

The likes of Martial etc tonight barely tried tonight.

adox wrote: »
    The likes of Martial etc tonight barely tried tonight.

Careful, you're not allowed to criticise the golden boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If thats what you took from the words written down then there is not much I can do to help.

Seemed like that's what you were suggesting:

"To me character would be players who actually put the work in every time they step onto the field, not just once in a while."
    adox wrote:
    Well if the shows of character are in the minority by a long way over the season then yes I will conclude this team lacks character.

I’m not discounting games where they have shown character. The scarcity of games where they have shown character only strengthens my belief that this group of players lack character overall.

But the league table shows it's not a minority over the season, otherwise they wouldn't be second. Do Liverpool and Spurs lack character? If not, how do you explain them being behind United in the league?

And you are discounting their character by saying that "The scarcity of games where they have shown character only strengthens my belief that this group of players lack character overall."

That means they're damned if they do, damned if they don't in your eyes. A team that lacked character wouldn't be able to reach an FA Cup final, never mind get comeback results over top sides, including the champions on their own patch.

Seemed like that's what you were suggesting:

"To me character would be players who actually put the work in every time they step onto the field, not just once in a while."

But the league table shows it's not a minority over the season, otherwise they wouldn't be second. Do Liverpool and Spurs lack character? If not, how do you explain them being behind United in the league?

And you are discounting their character by saying that "The scarcity of games where they have shown character only strengthens my belief that this group of players lack character overall."

That means they're damned if they do, damned if they don't in your eyes. A team that lacked character wouldn't be able to reach an FA Cup final, never mind get comeback results over top sides, including the champions on their own patch.

I feel like I’m repeating myself here. I am not discounting the character shown in those games. I’m talking about the season overall and they have been shown to be anomalies rather than the norm. The team and squad seriously lacks character. You may disagree and point out Utd are second but again that doesn’t negate my point at all.

How are they ahead of Spurs and Liverpool? Because they have a better squad than both of them.

I mean we may be going around in circles here but I hope I’m being pretty clear in what I mean here, even if you disagree.

I love these brutally honest interviews from Jose. A dangerous game to play for sure but **** it a lot of those players need to be called out.

I feel like I’m repeating myself here. I am not discounting the character shown in those games. I’m talking about the season overall and they have been shown to be anomalies rather than the norm. The team and squad seriously lacks character. You may disagree and point out Utd are second but again that doesn’t negate my point at all.

How are they ahead of Spurs and Liverpool? Because they have a better squad than both of them.

I mean we may be going around in circles here but I hope I’m being pretty clear in what I mean here, even if you disagree.

Pointing out United are second does negate your point because it's a matter of simple arithmetic that they would not be in the position they are in if their season was as you make out it was; you are describing a season more akin to last season or the seasons before that.

You also didn't tell me if you think Liverpool or Spurs lack character? This is important because if you say that they don't lack character, then one has to ask why United have a lead over them and have scored victories over them? If you think they too lack character, then one wonders are you suggesting only Man City possess this attribute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hiding them and protecting them doesn't work so **** it may as well take the more blunt approach.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Pointing out United are second does negate your point because it's a matter of simple arithmetic that they would not be in the position they are in if their season was as you make out it was; you are describing a season more akin to last season or the seasons before that.

You also didn't tell me if you think Liverpool or Spurs lack character? This is important because if you say that they don't lack character, then one has to ask why United have a lead over them and have scored victories over them? If you think they too lack character, then one wonders are you suggesting only Man City possess this attribute?

I did address the Liverpool Spurs point. Read my post again.

I haven’t watch every kick of a ball that both those teams have played this season so can’t give you an answer. I’m talking about Utd.

I think we may have different definitions of character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well let's be honest here if Liverpool hadn't their eyes on the CL they would more than likely be ahead of utd.

"It was not good enough. The players that replaced others did not perform at a good level and when individuals do that it is difficult for the team to play well. Maybe now you will not ask me why A, B and C do not play so much.

"I knew what was going to happen and I told them, but that is what we got.

"The attitude from the first minute and especially in the first half, they had more appetite. I did not succeed in persuading my players that getting four more points is important. it is for me, but perhaps not for them.

"I wouldn't say disappointed. I know them. I thought that the possibility to start the game and give reason would give them something.

"You have the answer now when you ask 'why always Lukaku?'. We are probably not as good as people think we are individually."
    There are a lot of people who will slate him for daring to say such awful things, and the fact that he is 100% correct won't matter to them.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well let's be honest here if Liverpool hadn't their eyes on the CL they would more than likely be ahead of utd.

Ha. I’ll let that slide Niall.

I'm sure that thought keeps you warm at night :D

Shame there's nothing to back it up of course, but I gotta hand it to ya I'd expect nothing less.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I did address the Liverpool Spurs point. Read my post again.

I haven’t watch every kick of a ball that both those teams have played this season so can’t give you an answer. I’m talking about Utd.

I think we may have different definitions of character.

You said United are ahead of Liverpool and Spurs because they have a better squad. You never said whether or not you think Liverpool and Spurs lack character. Do they?

Ha. I’ll let that slide Niall.

You not think so. Liverpool came from 13pts behind at one stage. It would be very close anyway would you not agree.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of people who will slate him for daring to say such awful things, and the fact that he is 100% correct won't matter to them.

Of course he will be slated by the usual's, it doesn't change the fact that he is spot on.

You said United are ahead of Liverpool and Spurs because they have a better squad. You never said whether or not you think Liverpool and Spurs lack character. Do they?

I answered you as to why I thought Utd were ahead of both of them and then actually the question you are asking here in the post that you have quoted!

I'm sure that thought keeps you warm at night :D

Shame there's nothing to back it up of course, but I gotta hand it to ya I'd expect nothing less.

Well there is this little match at the end of the month.

You not think so. Liverpool came from 13pts behind at one stage. It would be very close anyway would you not agree.

No.

No.

Ok stick your head in the sand so.

• Advertisement

Ok stick your head in the sand so.

:pac:

Well there is this little match at the end of the month.

Look, if your ego requires you to fabricate this as a genuine belief then more power to you. Some people need an excuse, I get that.

You were simply not catching United, us beating you, Chelsea, Arsenal etc ended that particular dream.

Seems odd to be concentrating on the champions league in September October

I answered you as to why I thought Utd were ahead of both of them and then actually the question you are asking here in the post that you have quoted!

OK I think I got it now.

I agree with your earlier point that we're going around in circles so I'll try to sum up in a more conciliatory way: the way I see it this season has seen an improvement on last season and shows the team going in the right direction based on where things are now. In the event, however, that the team blow the chance for second place and fail to turn up in the Cup final then I'll have to concede that the team did lack character when it came to the crunch. I'm going to do my best to be optimistic though and to believe it will end positively!

Seems odd to be concentrating on the champions league in September October

vg6xm.jpg

I don't see why it's so crazy to think Liverpool would have picked up an extra 5 points if they didn't have quarter and semi finals to play. Some day who knows with a bit of luck we may see utd in the same position of playing in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't see why it's so crazy to think Liverpool would have picked up an extra 5 points if they didn't have quarter and semi finals to play. Some day who knows with a bit of luck we may see utd in the same position of playing in big games.

Niallo doesnt wind up lads. He's honest to jaysus

Niallo dosnr wind up lads. He's honest to jaysus

Well I'm not really. I do think Liverpool have dropped a handy 4 points lately due to concentrating on CL football. It would be pretty close. It's not really anything radical I'm saying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The big difference is when united come second in the league, their supporters look to see how they can improve to win it. When liverpool come second, every supporter is running around writing books about their dare to dream.

United might win the fa cup and finish second and still not say it was a great season, liverpool might get hockied in the european final and still say it was a fantastic season.

It's all about levels of expectations really

The big difference is when united come second in the league, their supporters look to see how they can improve to win it. When liverpool come second, every supporter is running around writing books about their dare to dream.

United might win the fa cup and finish second and still not say it was a great season, liverpool might get hockied in the european final and still say it was a fantastic season.

It's all about levels of expectations really

Well yes I agree. Back to back CL qualification would be great progress. The two teams are coming from different levels though so expectations are different. Although to be fair most people thought I was mad when I said Liverpool were darkhorses for the CL, I knew they had a great chance.

• Advertisement

Well yes I agree. Back to back CL qualification would be great progress. The two teams are coming from different levels though so expectations are different. Although to be fair most people thought I was mad when I said Liverpool were darkhorses for the CL, I knew they had a great chance.

No you didn't you absolute tin roofer

Check the CL thread back in November so.

He did say it in fairness to him,

Tin roofer. That's a new one for me. Never heard that dome here.

He did say it in fairness to him,

I will say it every year for the next 20. Suddenly I need to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tin roofer. That's a new one for me. Never heard that dome here.

Tin roofer/Spoofer :D sounds like some cockney slang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Delighted for Hughton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hughton is doing a great job at Brighton. I wish he was the Ireland manager instead of the complete chancer we have there at the minute.

Advertisement