Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone help with this please

Options
  • 04-05-2018 6:55pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy an entry level gaming pc for my son. Been looking for something under 800 if possible

What does this look like? It's working out around 730.

Case PCS FUSION-RED 6018B CASE
    Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i3 Quad Core Processor i3-8300 (3.70GHz) 8MB Cache
    MotherboardASUS® H310M-A: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
    Memory (RAM)8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (1 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 - DVI, HDMI, DP1st
    Hard Disk1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD! Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450
    POWER SUPPLY Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
    Processor Cooling INTEL STANDARD CPU COOLER
    Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
    Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Wireless/Wired Networking10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
    USB OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
    Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
    Windows Recovery Media Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online AccountOffice Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode Browser Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Not bad at all. I'd recommend going for the i5-8500 though, it's a better processor for not much extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Something like this is cheaper and a lot faster.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

So does it make more sense to get the Asus one considering the difference in price?

The processors are very similar (the i3 is actually faster) but the graphics card is significantly more powerful in the Asus.

The current graphics card hierarchy would be GTX1050, GTX1050Ti, GTX1060 3GB, GTX1060 6GB.

The GTX970 in the Asus would sit in the same spot as the GTX1060 3GB and would play most games at high-ultra settings perfectly.

thank you all so much for the help and advice. i just ordered him the Asus.

• Advertisement

angeldaisy wrote:
    thank you all so much for the help and advice. i just ordered him the Asus.

FYI, you'll need to order a keyboard, mouse and wireless card too. Have you chosen a monitor?

tedpan wrote: »
    FYI, you'll need to order a keyboard, mouse and wireless card too. Have you chosen a monitor?

he has to buy those!! that was the deal ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gastarbeiter

Looks fine to me. You could play on medium settings with this build. GL

Just a quick question on the monitor, he's saving his money for a monitor so budget would be around 150 - 200 max. What should he be looking for?

Thanks again
    Edit: Would something like this be ok?
    ASUS VS248HR 24 inch Gaming Monitor (1 ms, 1920 x 1080, HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, 250 cd/m2) - Black

angeldaisy wrote:
    Thanks again Edit: Would something like this be ok? ASUS VS248HR 24 inch Gaming Monitor (1 ms, 1920 x 1080, HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, 250 cd/m2) - Black

Decent monitor. I like iiyama myself. Something like the G2530HSU is lovely with similar specs and a tiny bezel.

• Advertisement

Decent monitor. I like iiyama myself. Something like the G2530HSU is lovely with similar specs and a tiny bezel.

Looks good. 75hz as well which is a bonus and it's reasonably priced.

Brilliant - thanks so much, Tedpan that looks much better.

angeldaisy wrote:
    Brilliant - thanks so much, Tedpan that looks much better.

No worries. He's a lucky boy!

new pc arrived today, but we have to wait for his monitor. I've tried to connect it to his old monitor using the 9pin cable originally used. nothing is happening. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

angeldaisy wrote: »
    new pc arrived today, but we have to wait for his monitor. I've tried to connect it to his old monitor using the 9pin cable originally used. nothing is happening. any ideas?

Guessing old connection is vga and new one is dvi possibly

angeldaisy wrote:

The VGA cable? Maybe the video out is set to HDMI, but I still think you should get an image by VGA. Can you test on a TV in the house with a hdmi?

tried HDMI to his tv but nothing. I'm guessing I'll have to wait?

It should work fine via HDMI on a TV. Make sure you are connecting it to the actual graphics card and not the back of the motherboard. The graphics cards connectors will be towards the bottom of the PC.

It sounds like you are trying to connect it to the motherboard, which is automatically disabled when a dedicated card is installed. A GTX970 wouldn't even have an old VGA connector.

angeldaisy wrote:
    tried HDMI to his tv but nothing. I'm guessing I'll have to wait?

Any news?

nothing yet, tried the cables I have but nothing fits. his monitor is arriving this week so fingers crossed. mind he has summer exams coming up, so no harm with the delay!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It should work fine via HDMI on a TV. Make sure you are connecting it to the actual graphics card and not the back of the motherboard. The graphics cards connectors will be towards the bottom of the PC.

It sounds like you are trying to connect it to the motherboard, which is automatically disabled when a dedicated card is installed. A GTX970 wouldn't even have an old VGA connector.
    nothing yet, tried the cables I have but nothing fits. his monitor is arriving this week so fingers crossed. mind he has summer exams coming up, so no harm with the delay!!

Just to follow on from this, are you sure you are plugging the TV into the hdmi port on the graphics card? As there is another one on the motherboard which wont work when there is a graphics card in the computer.

I have indicated the general location of it here in red

451107.PNG

monitor arrived and all is working perfectly.....except the internet. the internet decided to crash here so now he has a new pc and monitor and can't use it - lol.

note. we live ruralish so internet is sh1te anyway at the best of times.

monitor is stunning though!

thanks again to everyone

angeldaisy wrote:

Nice one, glad he's happy! Hope the net comes back soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

monitor arrived and all is working perfectly.....except the internet. the internet decided to crash here so now he has a new pc and monitor and can't use it - lol.

note. we live ruralish so internet is sh1te anyway at the best of times.

thanks again to everyone

I built my friend a €1700 PC out in Galway before he told me he didn't have internet access, at all :pac:

Advertisement