Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend fights (Haye v Bellew II, Golovkin v Martirosyan, Spike O'Sullivan etc)

Options
  • 04-05-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭

Half decent set of fights this weekend. Starts tonight with Spike on the undercard of Garcia v Velez. You'd expect Spike to get the stoppage. Abreau been knocked out previously at 147 pounds.

Garcia v Velez should be a decent fight in its own right. Garcia apparently Goldenboy's best prospect, big step up for him at only 19. Be very impressed if he can stop Velez.

I will watch Haye - Bellew but it's an irrelevant fight in the current heavyweight landscape really. If Haye is fit I'll take him to win late but his body can obviously go at any time. Anything could happen. For a matchroom show the undercard is very good imo. James Tennyson in a tough fight against Ward. Tennyson just always that bit too fragile for my liking. He's always got a punchers chance but I wouldn't be confident. Think Ward might get to him mid to late.

Fully expecting Golovkin to get a straightforward mid-round stoppage. Should be a good fight to prove those who say he's on the slide right or wrong. If he's not lost a step the fight shouldn't go past 6 really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In one way i want Haye to win well, but then we will have to suffer him telling the world that he can become unified heavyweight champion. Hopefully Spike wins. The Golvokin fight is a mismatch. I was hoping he would have postponed the date to fight Saunders instead. I don't think Golvokin is on the slide, he has just looked a little less formidable against better opponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Looking forward to see Garcia . Never heard of him until a few months ago I randomly started following him on Instagram. Kids got serious speed an movement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

anybody know what time spike is fighting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Fair play to Spike getting payday for that. Opponent absolutely horrendous. Gassed out after two rounds. Spat his mouth piece out twice. Easy work for Spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Abreu had nothing. Looked strong and fit but had nothing once the punches started landing. Disappointing end to it but job done as far as Spike is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

His opponent was a Welterweight who hadn't fought in ages, I think Spike got 20k for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spike looked good. The opponent was really poor, and a weight below. Not much else to say on it..

Looking forward to see Garcia . Never heard of him until a few months ago I randomly started following him on Instagram. Kids got serious speed an movement

I had to unfollow him...pain in the hoop...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

What channel is GGG on?

Roar wrote: »
    What channel is GGG on?

BoxNation from 03:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Golovkin is on Boxnation.

Some interesting fights in the UK. Lot of hype about Manny Rodriguez, Ryder-Cox is an odd enough fight to call and who knows what'll happen in the main fight. I do feel a the lines are off on a few fights with the bookies.

The card in the States is horrific. They should have chucked Spike and Garcia on tonight's card as well to make it somewhat average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Spike on first in an half empty arena but almost straight away his opponent didnt want to know. Dropping his guard and looking out of shape having gained a stone since the weigh in he looked disinterested as Spike pounded away. After "losing" his gumshield once he then bizarrely spat it out in the third which lost him a point. Hopkins on the mike was succinct as ever.

ESPN then went to an ad break and once they came back it was over which wasnt a surprise but an affront to the sport for someone like this to be in there.

I honestly do not know what Spike gained from this. The purse of $20,000 is going to be cancelled out by flights, camp, insurance etc and he definitely did not learn anything from this farce. Apparently there was $400,000 purse if he fought tonight so I hope his long game plan works out.

Good to see Spike supporting his home town club though.

Tennyson in trouble here. Good fight but Tennyson just too vulnerable as usual. He'll be taken out soon I reckon. Really not liking it to the body.

Tennyson right back in it now! Buzzed Ward with a left. Great fight.

Some win for Tennyson. He's got the power to be live in any fight at the weight really. Probably the most exciting fighter in Ireland to watch right now. Great win.

Super offensive display from both.

Tennyson’s strength the winner...

His body really stood up to some cracking Ward body shots after he was down from a body shot.

Buatsi neat and compact. Not really heavy handed..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    Buatsi neat and compact. Not really heavy handed..

Surprising given his KOs in Rio

Surprising given his KOs in Rio

First saw him in Rio and felt he had the real pro style. Reminded me of the amateur Holyfield..

His KOs in Rio? Stopped as opposed to brutalized?

Anyway, in the few pro fights I have seen he comes across as just a decent hitter..

I really rate Buatsi as a fighter but can't help to think his lack of size is going to be his undoing when he faces the killers at the elite level. He's tiny.

• Advertisement

This Joyce lad looks so novice like..

This Joyce lad looks so novice like..

Not sure what to make of him. He is certainly interesting

Not sure what to make of him. He is certainly interesting

He’s a huge KO waiting to happen.

Kind of reminds me of a young Foreman...the mummy..

Very odd punch delivery....

I think he beats Chisora and Hughie Fury though, maybe even whyte.
    Big strong fit guy, great engine heavy hands.

A puncher could spark him though. He was wide open tonight.

He's basic but effective. I think he's a problem for a lot of the B level heavies. Like to see him in with Whyte.

Morrison J wrote: »
    He's basic but effective. I think he's a problem for a lot of the B level heavies. Like to see him in with Whyte.

Mostly only B level heavies around these days though...

What a wicked body shot KO from Cody Davis..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

I think he beats Chisora and Hughie Fury though, maybe even whyte.
    Big strong fit guy, great engine heavy hands.

A puncher could spark him though. He was wide open tonight.

I didn't see him tonight, but having seen him enough already, I think he'd struggle to land a punch on Hughie Fury, while eating about 1000 jabs. I don't think he's heavy-handed either, he has brutal physical strength and conditioning, but he's more a wear-em-down type, depite his results so far.

megadodge wrote: »
    I didn't see him tonight, but having seen him enough already, I think he'd struggle to land a punch on Hughie Fury, while eating about 1000 jabs. I don't think he's heavy-handed either, he has brutal physical strength and conditioning, but he's more a wear-em-down type, depite his results so far.

I Don't disagree. Out of Whyte Chisra and H Fury the latter would probably be his toughest opponent but I think he would eventually walk him down.

I said after his first (least impressive) fight that he would beat Whyte or Chisora and I'll stick with that.

• Advertisement

By the way, it was me who called him the Mummy months ago :pac:

Advertisement