Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best jeep to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They've quite a few problems. One to get you started is the god awful electric parking brake. Which is dear sort as are many other parts.

They look great imo and they're decent off road but they certainly can't hack it with the cruisers, old troopers and patrols, too soft and too complicated to put right.

They tow well.

Few more hoops to jump through at the tax office too over it being a crew cab depending on the county.

Thanks selectamatic , it's a tricky one . I might get less trouble by holding onto the 04 patrol but the underside is rusting away - chassis , wiring loom and lights are starting to give niggly problems even though everything else is grand . 10K won't give much of an upgrade except to have back seats .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Bullocks wrote: »
    Anyone driving a 08ish Discovery?
    I have half a mind to change the patrol for something crewcab and there seems to be the odd one on donedeal sub 10K .
    What are the problems to expect and are they good for towing ?

I’ve a discovery as well as the hilux and find it grand. Expensive if something serious goes wrong but if you buy one with more than 160k km as all the major problems will have been sorted on them. Very comfortable good enough to tow and a lot handier on diesel than the hi lux. If you don’t get the commercial tax, your looking at 1400 per year tax so maybe get that sorted. Personally i rather the hilux even if it’s just for the sake it looks alright covered in muck where as I hate getting the discovery dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Thanks selectamatic , it's a tricky one . I might get less trouble by holding onto the 04 patrol but the underside is rusting away - chassis , wiring loom and lights are starting to give niggly problems even though everything else is grand . 10K won't give much of an upgrade except to have back seats .

That's a rock and a hard place scenario. A mid noughties Nissan 4x4 getting the tin worm bug is a hard thing to stall.

For "luxury" 4x4's some bucks swear by bmw x5's again they're very dear sort if the serious things start to go but the m57 6 pot 3.0d lump is a fair good stove.

You'd have to ditch the 19" low profile run flats if ya planned on venturing off tarmac though ;)

Isuzu dmax if ya want back seats, value for money, reliability and ruggedness. It'd be a step down in comfort from the patrol though. Getting hard find clean unabused examples too.

That's a rock and a hard place scenario. A mid noughties Nissan 4x4 getting the tin worm bug is a hard thing to stall.

For "luxury" 4x4's some bucks swear by bmw x5's again they're very dear sort if the serious things start to go but the m57 6 pot 3.0d lump is a fair good stove.

You'd have to ditch the 19" low profile run flats if ya planned on venturing off tarmac though ;)

Isuzu dmax if ya want back seats, value for money, reliability and ruggedness. It'd be a step down in comfort from the patrol though. Getting hard find clean unabused examples too.

Brother has an X5 for the last 3 years and its a lovely jeep to drive . Been relatively low maintenance aswell . As you say it wont travel at all in the soft on his low profiles .
    If I bother changing I will want back seats alright .

Who2 wrote: »
    I’ve a discovery as well as the hilux and find it grand. Expensive if something serious goes wrong but if you buy one with more than 160k km as all the major problems will have been sorted on them. Very comfortable good enough to tow and a lot handier on diesel than the hi lux. If you don’t get the commercial tax, your looking at 1400 per year tax so maybe get that sorted. Personally i rather the hilux even if it’s just for the sake it looks alright covered in muck where as I hate getting the discovery dirty.

I will be sound with the commercial tax hopefully even though I hear they are getting sticky about it .
    Which of the two pull better and I suppose brake better with a trailer ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Neighbour has a quashqui swears by it, pulls a tri axle box full of sheep with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    Neighbour has a quashqui swears by it, pulls a tri axle box full of sheep with it.

Parents have one and it is geared that high that the calf box is enough behind it. He is talking ****e or only driving downhill. A tri axle box full of sheep is a good load.

His is the +2 model perharps different to your parents?

His is the +2 model perharps different to your parents?

Same engine, transmission etc. To get them to pull the revswould have to be through the ceiling alll the time. I have done a lot of driving in the parents one. Very comfortable and a lovely wee car but not for pulling loads.

• Advertisement

What engine is in your parents model?

I will be sound with the commercial tax hopefully even though I hear they are getting sticky about it .
    Which of the two pull better and I suppose brake better with a trailer ?

Discovery pulls sweeter but the hilux has better torque, either brakes well; its more of how fast i wedge the boot on the peddle. The discovery is far more comfort but i still get in the hilux when theres anything to be done. the hilux is built to be loaded or youll be another lad giving out about a light back end. The discovery is on air suspension with a fair share of various settings where as the hilux is way more basic. i put road tyres on the disco and semi off roads on the hilux they are just two different jeeps and i think ive just convinced myself i dont need the disco.

What engine is in your parents model?

1.5 dci

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tow capacity of the Quashqui is very low.
    2.0 4wd is higher but not amazing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Who2 wrote: »
    Discovery pulls sweeter but the hilux has better torque, either brakes well; its more of how fast i wedge the boot on the peddle. The discovery is far more comfort but i still get in the hilux when theres anything to be done. the hilux is built to be loaded or youll be another lad giving out about a light back end. The discovery is on air suspension with a fair share of various settings where as the hilux is way more basic. i put road tyres on the disco and semi off roads on the hilux they are just two different jeeps and i think ive just convinced myself i dont need the disco.

Hi i was considering the hse sport but heard people say they are unreliable, air suspensions go and costs thousands..i assume the discovery may have the same problem then?

_Brian wrote: »
    Tow capacity of the Quashqui is very low.
    2.0 4wd is higher but not amazing either.

I saw a 2.0td Suzuki vitara towing a trailer with a ford 3600 up on it earlier today. Towing capacity is only numbers, not real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I saw a 2.0td Suzuki vitara towing a trailer with a ford 3600 up on it earlier today. Towing capacity is only numbers, not real life.

Stopping the trailer is the issue, not getting g it rolling.

If trailors only had brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

LillySV wrote: »
    Hi i was considering the hse sport but heard people say they are unreliable, air suspensions go and costs thousands..i assume the discovery may have the same problem then?

There is a long running discussion of all things LR based over on the Motors forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794880&page=122

Until you meet the roads policing unit and the rsa on a check point. Numbers get fairly real then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If trailors only had brakes.

Sorry..i thought I was dealing with people with real world towing experience.

Some cowboys out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Grueller wrote: »
    Until you meet the roads policing unit and the rsa on a check point. Numbers get fairly real then.

The whole area of trailers are something that their really hot on atm. Very easily spotted in the flow of traffic. I’ve seen them pulling in nothing but commercial vehicles and lads with tailers. Not worth taking risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What would you think about the Nissan navara?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What would you think about the Nissan navara?

Rust problems
    Engine problems
    And soft enough gearboxes.

The newer ones are supposed to be alright but the mid noughties ones aren't great at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Rust problems in some yea pre 08.... haven't mine's long enough till comment on them but I think they have great power and the 6 speed box suits towimg aswell as being high enough geared that she's not overly sore on diesel cruising along at 100km/h.... plenty off power in them compared till other crewcabs... nicely finished aswell if you go for a middling spec. Turning circles not great which is a downfall as I work with trailers fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

My advice in buying a 4×4 would be to spend big money at the start and hopefully you will stay trouble free for a few years, the test will be costly every year if you buy old stuff. I had a 3000 Euro landcruiser and had to spend 7 or 8 hundred a year for the test. To be honest give some hauler 50 Euro now and again works out a lot cheaper, I take d odd cow to the factory it definitely is a loss maker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aye I know what you mean. Thinking of getting a box fir cattle but the last time we used one the oul transit pulled 5 cows into the mart. It might do well

Lambman wrote: »
    Rust problems in some yea pre 08.... haven't mine's long enough till comment on them but I think they have great power and the 6 speed box suits towimg aswell as being high enough geared that she's not overly sore on diesel cruising along at 100km/h.... plenty off power in them compared till other crewcabs... nicely finished aswell if you go for a middling spec. Turning circles not great which is a downfall as I work with trailers fairly often.

what crewcabs are you comparing them to. I wouldnt rate them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Had a 04 l200... which was badly geared and sore on the diesel and had an 07 dmax which was a good jeep but lacked low end torque and started giving numerous problems from 90k miles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Rust problems
    Engine problems
    And soft enough gearboxes.

The newer ones are supposed to be alright but the mid noughties ones aren't great at all.

Are they the ones that crack in the middle?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

A 4x4 that you never see mentioned is the Nissan Teranno.
    A neighbour has one and loves it, and he's a cattle dealer so does lots of towing.
    Looks just like a Primera inside, though.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are they the ones that crack in the middle?

Ya. The chassis rusts from the inside out.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A 4x4 that you never see mentioned is the Nissan Teranno.
    A neighbour has one and loves it, and he's a cattle dealer so does lots of towing.
    Looks just like a Primera inside, though.

Ya them and the ford maverick are the same aren't they? Pretty robust yokes if half looked after but very agricultural by today's standards.

And I could be wrong but isn't the 2.7td engine a turbocharged version of the 2.7d lump found in London cabs.

Yeah, the Ford Maverick was exactly the same, but Ford offered a far shorter warranty than Nissan did, so no one bought the Ford version.
    Towing capacity is 2800kg instead of 3500 of bigger 4x4's.
    Like all older yokes, the chassis was where trouble usually started.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

On the lookout for Jeep for farm never had one before what best type for farming duties ie pulling cattle box etc 5000 price range?? All advice appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

marathon wrote: »
    On the lookout for Jeep for farm never had one before what best type for farming duties ie pulling cattle box etc 5000 price range?? All advice appreciated

D-max or ranger at that budget.
    Have a mk5 hilux here but I'm limited with towing capacity.
    You won't get much of a landcruiser or pajero for 5k.
    Pickup is very handy for farm use with a good set of mud terrains

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭farmer2018

What jeep would be the best of the following:

1. Mitsubishi Outlander
    2. Kia Sorrento
    3. Kia Sportage
    4. Hyundai Santa Fe
    5. BMW X3
    6. Toyota Rav 4
    7. Opel Antara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

farmer2018 wrote: »
    What jeep would be the best of the following:

1. Mitsubishi Outlander
    2. Kia Sorrento
    3. Kia Sportage
    4. Hyundai Santa Fe
    5. BMW X3
    6. Toyota Rav 4
    7. Opel Antara

I wouldn't class any of them as a jeep to be honest. They would probably all fall into the crossover category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We have a hyundai tuscan for the fields. Great job, wasnt expecting much when we bought it but it's great. 4wd on it. Gearbox gone in it now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

On the lookout for something for here. What would you be looking at for around 8k +vat? Would be towing 2.5t max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Of the list above, reckon the Kia would be the only one capable of towing 2.5 tonne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

On the lookout for something for here. What would you be looking at for around 8k +vat? Would be towing 2.5t max

Dmax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Would any of ye consider a defender, the go forever and you will do loads with it if your in anyway handy

haybob wrote: »
    Would any of ye consider a defender, the go forever and you will do loads with it if your in anyway handy

" you will do loads with it if your anyway handy"

Never a truer word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Hilux or landcruiser all day long ..from that it's a steep decline into crap makes and models and underpowered crossovers..problem here is everyone wants something really cheap BUT expects it to do the work of a 3litre landcruiser. That's the reason why even a 10 year old Toyota still commands premium price 7 to 10k loads of cheaper stuff but uses and towing capacity limited..also some people just expect far too much from a jeep. Even the best 4x4 falls far short of a tractor.

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Hilux or landcruiser all day long ..from that it's a steep decline into crap makes and models and underpowered crossovers..problem here is everyone wants something really cheap BUT expects it to do the work of a 3litre landcruiser. That's the reason why even a 10 year old Toyota still commands premium price 7 to 10k loads of cheaper stuff but uses and towing capacity limited..also some people just expect far too much from a jeep. Even the best 4x4 falls far short of a tractor.

Unfair comment really. For the last decade the ranger and the dmax are at least a match for the hilux.

• Advertisement

I have a 96 lwb trooper, and so far its been really reliable. Chassis is still sound even if the dents and scrapes have taken to "look" off it.
    Neighbour has an 06 swb landcruiser, and the chassis has just been condemned in it.
    The axle location arm has tore loose from the chassis and let the axle move back.
    Talking to the test centre lads, this is far from uncommon.
    If I were buying new or nearly new, I probably go for a D-Max and get the chassis properly cleaned and waxoyled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    We have a hyundai tuscan for the fields. Great job, wasnt expecting much when we bought it but it's great. 4wd on it. Gearbox gone in it now though

No use in the winter I take it though? Buried the discovery twice here in the fields this spring trying to bring up the cows when the quad was outa action ha. About to pickup a little pajero junior at the minute for the same job, weights under a ton so should be alot better in the fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I have a 96 lwb trooper, and so far its been really reliable. Chassis is still sound even if the dents and scrapes have taken to "look" off it.
    Neighbour has an 06 swb landcruiser, and the chassis has just been condemned in it.
    The axle location arm has tore loose from the chassis and let the axle move back.
    Talking to the test centre lads, this is far from uncommon.
    If I were buying new or nearly new, I probably go for a D-Max and get the chassis properly cleaned and waxoyled.

Got an 00 discovery here, chassis thankful nowhere near that bad, but it's taken fair effort to get through the doe last few yrs with rust spots showing up everywhere that need to be plated.

Timmaay wrote: »
    No use in the winter I take it though? Buried the discovery twice here in the fields this spring trying to bring up the cows when the quad was outa action ha. About to pickup a little pajero junior at the minute for the same job, weights under a ton so should be alot better in the fields.

I like the idea of the Pajero Junior.
    I'm on the trail of a Suzuki Jimny thats been sitting in a fellows yard this 2 years.
    Its not going to cost much more than Honda are looking for an ignition module and battery for the quad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Grueller wrote: »
    Unfair comment really. For the last decade the ranger and the dmax are at least a match for the hilux.

Maybe the 2008 model ranger are a better yoke but we just bought a 2015 Hilux here, never had a jeep before that, went out with an open mind. are numerous visits, test drives, driving and looking at jeeps, there isnt much to match the hilux/landcruiser. they are a nicer yoke to drive, finish seems to be better. The newer rangers seem to be rusting terribly underneath !

• Advertisement
Advertisement