Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Shotgun from Northern Ireland

Options
  • 04-05-2018 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone has gone through the importation of a firearm from Northern Ireland /UK recently and if you could please help with the following questions.

If applying as an individual to import;

How long did it take to get Import Licence back?
    Is there a fee for this service? didn't see anything on DOJ site.
    Do I need any paperwork from RFD I`m buying from?

If importing through RFD in South;

How much do they usually charge?
    How long does this process normally take?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How long did it take to get Import Licence back?

About 7/14 days, depending on how busy it is in the DOJ C4 dept.They are in fairness to them they are on the ball and have a quick turnaround time.
    Is there a fee for this service? didn't see anything on DOJ site.
    Nope.Something for free from our Govt:eek:
    Do I need any paperwork from RFD I`m buying from?

Yes, and he from you.You need to send him the original certificate of import from the DOJ and he needs to send you the original cert of export from the UK/NI .As the UK is still in the EU,I Assume that is the same as importing from any other EU country.Best ring and ask what else they might need.
    If importing through RFD in South;

How much do they usually charge?
    Depending on, I guess, have the bills been met this month?There is no fixed price, anything between 50 quid and 250 quid?
    How long does this process normally take?

About as long if you were doing the job yourself.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

Thanks grizzly, think I will apply for permit myself as paying a local RFD would eat up any savings I'm making by importing the shotgun.
    Appreciate the info.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »

About 7/14 days, depending on how busy it is in the DOJ C4 dept.They are in fairness to them they are on the ball and have a quick turnaround time.

Nope.Something for free from our Govt:eek:

Yes, and he from you.You need to send him the original certificate of import from the DOJ and he needs to send you the original cert of export from the UK/NI .As the UK is still in the EU,I Assume that is the same as importing from any other EU country.Best ring and ask what else they might need.

Depending on, I guess, have the bills been met this month?There is no fixed price, anything between 50 quid and 250 quid?

About as long if you were doing the job yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Oddly process is the exact much the same for ammo as a firearm. Both are done in the same way.

I had my import back within 4 days. The ladies in the dept process them on a Monday and Wednesday. I sent mine in the Friday beforehand and had it back on Thursday morning. Free of course.

From the dealer in the North i needed his name, address, and dealer ID for the import application. You'll also need some details like the category of firearm but that is easy to do. I sent him the original import and he sent it down with the export and other documents attached to the outside of the package.

Of course you need to have your license subbed onto the new gun before doing all this.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I got my rfd to import a rifle I had send over from the uk to Northern Ireland. He didn’t charge anything and he’s doing it that much that he knows in the ins and outs better that I would if I had to do it myself.

Thanks all, the licence for the firearm involved is being processed at the moment and after looking into my options in this matter I thought I would give some details in the event that it may help someone in the future decide which route to take.
    When I receive the licence I will then decide which way I will proceed.

USING A LOCAL RFD;
    Apply and get licence for firearm....Normal charges apply
    RFD will apply for Import permits etc and coordinate with NI RFD to bring in firearm for you.
    In my case I was quoted a per week rate which would eat into any savings I was making in this case so still undecided.

IMPORTING PERSONALLY AND COLLECTING FIREARM;
    1/ Apply and get licence for firearm....Normal charges apply.
    2/ Apply for Import Licence by individual....No charge
    3/ Apply for European Firearms Pass....No charge but photo required.
    4/ Apply for Visitors Permit for possession of firearms / ammunition in NI....Charge is £16stg and must be posted and applied for at least 6 weeks prior to proposed visit date. Items 1,2&3 above to be included in this application.

I will be in contact with the RFD NI to check out the possibility of sending it directly to me and charges for this after getting the Import Licence and hopefully my FAO will agree with this.

Cass, I see from your post that you went this route, was there any additional requirements from your FAO to have it delivered directly to you, did they need to see the Export paperwork from your supplier?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

mcbain087 wrote: »
    Cass, I see from your post that you went this route, was there any additional requirements from your FAO to have it delivered directly to you, did they need to see the Export paperwork from your supplier?

Thanks.
    Nope.

All the paperwork is done and dusted before anything can happen. The only thing i did get was a call from my FO a few days later to say he got copies of the import and wanted to confirm the details and that i received it.

Once i done that, on the phone, all was good.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

When you import, do you apply for the firearms licence beforehand in the usual way, and then start the import process once you receive the licence?

Yes , licence must be applied for and received for the exact make & model including the serial number that you wish to import.
    Gravelly wrote: »
    When you import, do you apply for the firearms licence beforehand in the usual way, and then start the import process once you receive the licence?

Advertisement