Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording conversations

Options
  • 05-05-2018 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction of where I can look for the correct information. I’ve looked at a few other threads here and on some other websites but can’t find a definitive answer as to whether I can record a meeting at work without the other person’s consent.

A bit of background... I’ve been working for the same company for 4 years, we are at about 25 employees now, and about a year ago our director started to outsource some of the work to the Philippines.
    Since then, he and the (unqualified) HR person have started targeting some of the longer serving members of staff. Previous instances are giving unfair verbal and written warnings, giving unfair tasks with unrealistic deadlines and threatening dismissal for rare instances of sickness.

I thought I had escaped being targeted as I would come in early, Stay late, and work through my lunch to make sure my deadlines were being met so I couldn’t give them any reason to find fault in my work.
    The last few months, however, the boss has been picking holes in my work despite him not knowing what I actually do, telling me I’m not working hard enough and generally telling me that I need to improve despite glowing reviews from my clients.

Yesterday things came to a head where he told me that if I don’t figure out new procedures by Tuesday, he doesn’t think there will be a place for me in this company.
    I think he is trying to manage me out of the business and I want to record the scheduled meeting for Tuesday because yesterday he passed some horrible insults and taunted me throughout the meeting.
    Am I allowed to record this?

Advertisement