Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critique my onboarding

Options
  • 05-05-2018 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

As a follow up to this thread, where I was talking about the chicken and egg problem we were having, we decided on a few light UI changes for new users to assist in the onboarding as a first step.

Our thinking was that people are obviously interested in using the app because why else would they download, but when you look at the app with fresh eyes, there's just nothing there at the moment to guide them along. There's too much effort required on their part to figure it out and become active on the app as well as invite other users.

So while the main overall problem is users not inviting users, a big cause of that could be that people just aren't 'getting' the app in the first place when they do download.

So as an easy to implement initial adjustment, we're going to change the empty states to make it much more obvious what the user can/should do.

I've added a flow map here which shows the design, would love to hear your thoughts; image here (quite large)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just had a quick look and some ideas that popped into my head without thinking too much about it are:
    • On the first screen, if the user has no contacts then make the "Invite People" the call to action. Put it in the middle of the screen and make it the biggest element on the screen. Having it at the top, it's in a hard to reach place if using one handed and even with the tooltip it isn't all the much of a draw to my eyes anyway.
    • The inside a workgroup flow is extremely confusing to me, I had to intently stare at the screens and try to figure out what was going on. The way the options at the top are all given the same priority even if they are secondary is really hard to deal with when looking at the screen quickly. Can you make the secondary options smaller, different colour or something to highlight they are options under the top choices?
    • The new onboarding doesn't really show off what your app does either, it kinda guides users to some key options but I think it's an app that looks useful, so show how useful it actually can be. Instead of just guiding users to what choices they can make, engage them in the app by providing a fake work group that shows them exactly how useful it can be. Make it fun and relatable to your company, as in make it a work group that gives them some task that is to do with your company, it gives a human feel to the developers of the app and provides empathy with the users.

I literally just dumped the above out after a quick look and a pile of coffee so it might not be useful :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Just had a quick look and some ideas that popped into my head without thinking too much about it are:
    • On the first screen, if the user has no contacts then make the "Invite People" the call to action. Put it in the middle of the screen and make it the biggest element on the screen. Having it at the top, it's in a hard to reach place if using one handed and even with the tooltip it isn't all the much of a draw to my eyes anyway.
    • The inside a workgroup flow is extremely confusing to me, I had to intently stare at the screens and try to figure out what was going on. The way the options at the top are all given the same priority even if they are secondary is really hard to deal with when looking at the screen quickly. Can you make the secondary options smaller, different colour or something to highlight they are options under the top choices?
    • The new onboarding doesn't really show off what your app does either, it kinda guides users to some key options but I think it's an app that looks useful, so show how useful it actually can be. Instead of just guiding users to what choices they can make, engage them in the app by providing a fake work group that shows them exactly how useful it can be. Make it fun and relatable to your company, as in make it a work group that gives them some task that is to do with your company, it gives a human feel to the developers of the app and provides empathy with the users.

I literally just dumped the above out after a quick look and a pile of coffee so it might not be useful :pac:

Thanks v much for the feedback!

You're right, the inside the workgroup screens are very confusing alright. I've taken a fresh look at this and while initially I thought the coach marks couldn't go in the header/menu section because they'd be hiding UI elements, I realised that it's not a big deal if it covers the name of the group because the user at that stage would know that info anyway (since they named it). As such I've put the coach marks in this top section which really frees up the main section to allow there to be more space and descriptive info etc.

I think this approach works a lot better now; screen pics
    [*]The new onboarding doesn't really show off what your app does either, it kinda guides users to some key options but I think it's an app that looks useful, so show how useful it actually can be. Instead of just guiding users to what choices they can make, engage them in the app by providing a fake work group that shows them exactly how useful it can be. Make it fun and relatable to your company, as in make it a work group that gives them some task that is to do with your company, it gives a human feel to the developers of the app and provides empathy with the users.

We had actually considered this, but we felt that while demo content might appeal to some people, it would probably not relate to most people (in a "I don't need that", "we don't work like that" kind of way). So we thought it better to allow people to define their own types of content.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Just looking through the forum today and seen this so apologies for the late feedback..

My 2 cents - contacts screen - you give them the intro the call to action should follow this below it - icon here to add contacts (not have them jumping back to the top to do it). Its a primary step they need to do so it should be front and centre.

Again with Work - same thing they are now adding a WorkGroup so have the icon under the instructions. These 2 steps are key for them to progress to using the app. If its confusing to just do this much its going to be off putting.

On the later sections of the app - I wouldn't keep changing the functionality that's in the top right - its its a hamburger icon then keep it there all the time and use it as a menu to navigate the app. Changing it on other screens to a '+' again is confusing' as now the menu is gone for the user. Overall I think you could work out a better way to navigate the options and the functionality to add a task or note. It just doesn't feel intuitive or slick enough at the minute. I know you want to keep it simple but I think theres too much going on. It may also become an issue later if you were adding new functionality and didnt have room for additional tabs as you refer to them.

If you were leaving it as is I would look at really making the distinction between the tabs and the sub headings more clear. The tabs are the main headings - make them more top level and obvious and then the sub ones more subtle. It all blends to much together right now with the shades of grey. Maybe use icons for the top level ones and text for the sub headings to help differentiate them a bit more.

Also small thing, the wording - are they tabs? Doesn't seem the right word to use, do you even need to refer to them as tabs, headings etc..just say check out Notes and Tasks to see what you can do!

Just a few thoughts from a quick glance and going through the user journey.

Advertisement