Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GolfSixes

Options
  • 05-05-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭

I'm watching it
    I know what they are trying to do

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=343

But I have a serious aversion to someone messing with pro golf. But I'll try stay positive.

But the English Shirts - The trying to have a laugh - the bants

All gets a bit toe curling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I just heard Swedish House Mafia booming over the course.

I get it
    Stay positive.

30 second shot clock on one hole

Class

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

30 second shot clock on one hole

Class

At what time does the clock for that start?

callaway92 wrote: »
    At what time does the clock for that start?

30 seconds on the tee and 30 seconds when you get to 2nd shot.

The clock drives down to 2nd shot too.

Maybe Dunne will skip that hole :p:D

They have gone for men versus women in a rather dated battle of the sexes idea.

• Advertisement

Interview in shot with a pro - very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I can see they’re trying to broaden the appeal of golf etc etc., but there’s just................something...................a little too contrived about this, for me.

Russman wrote: »
    I can see they’re trying to broaden the appeal of golf etc etc., but there’s just................something...................a little too contrived about this, for me.

Agree.

But I ended up watching it way more than expected - but the kids around and the men versus women. All a bit. :rolleyes:

I do admire the effort and a few interesting ideas.

Does anyone know if this is an official european tour event with race to dubai points available? Could be a great weekend for Gavin Moynihan if it is!

Does anyone know if this is an official european tour event with race to dubai points available? Could be a great weekend for Gavin Moynihan if it is!

Without knowing I doubt it.

Seems like more an invite thing.

Looked up no R2D points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Ireland v France in the final.

1 up after 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Just won it.

I'm not a fan of these gimmicky events but happy for Dunne and especially Moynihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Terrible event.

First Up wrote: »
    Just won it.

I'm not a fan of these gimmicky events but happy for Dunne and especially Moynihan.

Obvioulsy Moynihan's biggest prize ever ?

Great to see - and he is at this a good while (it seems) - even if still very very young.

Great idea for him to be in this - however it came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

I watched more of it than I expected to. Decent fun.

Will this mean anything for Moynihan and his tour card

Buttros wrote: »
    I watched more of it than I expected to. Decent fun.

Will this mean anything for Moynihan and his tour card

I think - as not on R2D it won't ?

I think ?

Yes check it out - card for Race To Dubai only - top 100.

To be honest that is only fair as it is a limited field event and - looks part invite. Would be harsh for guys on real tour up against lads picking up money in non standard events.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had a look at last year's winners and the event doesn't get mentioned on their European Tour profiles or included in the list of prize money they won, so I'd say the most Moynihan will get from this is a bit of a boost to his confidence. But given that he's had a bit of a tough time on tour that can't be a bad thing.

Zaph wrote: »
    Had a look at last year's winners and the event doesn't get mentioned on their European Tour profiles or included in the list of prize money they won, so I'd say the most Moynihan will get from this is a bit of a boost to his confidence. But given that he's had a bit of a tough time on tour that can't be a bad thing.

Looked up his results there - he is strugglin this year.

He had a great year last year. But he isn't getting into the 60s this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...I went over for this last year, didn't enjoy it much at all...It's a gimmick, a bit of craic...If they got a good Charity involved it could actually be good, but from a golf spectacle it's not the best...I'm actually raging that there wasn't any Irish last year!!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Glad Ireland won but the event comes across very gimmicky and has less prestige than a Wednesday pro am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Six hole matches are a great idea, club and inter club level would be fantastic. It's a fresh idea, and golf needs a few of them to appeal to younger generations

Fairly negative tone from a top guy in the industry.

I think ("regular") golfers are going to miss the point about this.
    It is about new people - not old 18 hole 4.5 hour bastards like Mark and ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

it is a gimmick. but why not? everything is darts these days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's a bit like T20 cricket. Also looked at as a gimmick when first introduced, but still going strong. Anything that makes golf look quicker has to be a good thing. Slow play is a curse and this new format starts off in the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fairly negative tone from a top guy in the industry.

He is a coach with a YouTube channel? What exactly makes him a to guy in the golf industry?

GreeBo wrote: »
    He is a coach with a YouTube channel? What exactly makes him a to guy in the golf industry?

Accepted - but you got to be with it "bruh" :)

He is a social media influencer - what influence do these guys have is hard to quantify.

But the lads (Shiels etc) have made a living from it and they basically were massively advantaged by first to the market.

They are ruined with success to a degree, because you can see the industry all over them now - equipment - free golf trips. .

He has a 1/4 of a million subscribers (You Tube) in a small neck of the world - UK/Ireland , started from a shed. He isn't for me all the time - but fair play to him.

Magazines are dead - forums are dead - newspapers are dead. He is in the right space.

You go on to the European Tour website and it is still very poor and you get the Cookies policy as a welcome.

They have influence - I'm not sure how much. But not sure who else has influence these days. The flow of information has totally changed.

The most influential - hard one - someone in the tv space at major golf events remains it (imo) - top pro / commentator.

If you wanted to grow sixes - who would you get involved - or how would you improve exposure. It was hardly noticed to be honest ?

Advertisement