Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird fly swarm

Options
  • 05-05-2018 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

Looked out the window earlier and was greeted by an infestation of weird looking flies

We live in the country and have lots of fruit trees and laurel hedging so it’s not unusual to have insects flying around
    But I’ve never seen these yokes before

They are black and silent. They kind of hover around the grass and hedges and have a weird appendage hanging downwards from middle of Body
    Never seen them before

And they seem to come and go in large groups. None there now but will be again in a few minutes

Any ideas ? I doubt I’ll get a photo of them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Anywhere near the sea?

I regularly see massive swarms of kelp flies on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

my3cents wrote: »
    Anywhere near the sea?

I regularly see massive swarms of kelp flies on the beach.

40km inland of Galway so no

I’ll try and get a video or photo

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Ive seen the exact same kind of fly your talking about for the first time ever today as well never seen anything like them before odd loking things.where I'm seeing them is damp marshy ground

bizidea wrote: »
    Ive seen the exact same kind of fly your talking about for the first time ever today as well never seen anything like them before odd loking things.where I'm seeing them is damp marshy ground

Interesting Cos the field at that side of the house would be damp and marshy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are the perfectly harmless St Mark's Flies, so named because they first appear each year around the feast of St Mark in 25th April until late June. Also called Hawthorn Flies.

• Advertisement

They are the perfectly harmless St Mark's Flies, so named because they first appear each year around the feast of St Mark in 25th April until late June. Also called Hawthorn Flies. They appear

That's them
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Must be a good year for them so if a lot of people are seeing for the first time ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

bizidea wrote: »
    Must be a good year for them so if a lot of people are seeing for the first time ever

Actually, we usually have a large number of them here and have had only a few this year so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, if numbers are down, that's possibly because i inadvertently ate two on my cycle this morning. flew through several swarms, had the rather unusual experience of one crawling around the inside of the lens of my glasses for a couple of minutes earlier (was climbing up a steep hill so didn't have the luxury of stopping).

Advertisement