Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frameless Posters/Pictures

Options
  • 05-05-2018 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

I am looking to hang a few pictures/posters . I would like to try and not have a frame around them. I feel that they look better when hanging on a wall as they look "framed" for want of a better word when there is something around the picture. I would like a more relaxed and softer look to them.

How do I go about the above.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I suppose you could just secure them to a base of plywood/MDF/cardboard/jigsaw puzzle base cut to size, and then you could hang the base to the wall like you would with a normal frame. That way they'd have the stiffness of a frame without its actual look.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

New Home wrote: »
    I suppose you could just secure them to a base of plywood/MDF/cardboard/jigsaw puzzle base cut to size, and then you could hang the base to the wall like you would with a normal frame. That way they'd have the stiffness of a frame without its actual look.

I would also like to put perspex/glass on the front.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In that case, just get a clip frame, like these.

s-l1000.jpg
    Clip_Frame.jpg

They're easy enough to find, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Would the clips not be visible on the side.

You would, of course, but some frames have smaller clips than others. The other option (very expensive, I would think), would be to get the perspex part built to measure (not only cut) so that it'd have a "lip" over and around two parallel sides of the base so that you could slide it over the base to get some purchase (a bit like a matchbox, but without enveloping the whole thing, or you wouldn't be able to hang it).

A way cheaper (and probably not so great looking) option would be to use celluloid or similar material instead of the perspex or the glass, and just leave a margin around the picture so you could glue the celluloid to the base, even on three of the four sides, so that your picture could be slid into it.

Last thing I can think of, but then it'd depend on the thickness of the pictures, would be to get two perspex sheets slightly bigger than your picture, glue them on three of their four sides, and then slide your picture into it. Then you'd have to secure some picture hanging hoops to the back of the rear sheet. It might prove complicated trying to remove your pictures again, though.

Hopefully someone else will come along soon with a better suggestion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement