Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse irrigation - yes or no?

Options
  • 05-05-2018 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I have dug out the soil from the greenhouse border as it seemed a bit jaded last year and I have no idea what the previous owner was growing there and for how long.

Before I build the bed back up I wonder is it worth putting some sort or irrigation system in while it is all dug up?

It is 8’ x 1.5’ approx

Any opinions - worth doing or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Holy Diver wrote: »
    I have dug out the soil from the greenhouse border as it seemed a bit jaded last year and I have no idea what the previous owner was growing there and for how long.

Before I build the bed back up I wonder is it worth putting some sort or irrigation system in while it is all dug up?

It is 8’ x 1.5’ approx

Any opinions - worth doing or not?

Will you be going away any time during the growing season? Are you growing crops that need lots of watering? If so an irrigation system will be very useful. If you're there every day and have time to water by hand then it's not so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A manual system cost next to nothing so you might as well stick one in

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/water/irrigation/

Obviously something that works on a timer will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ceikiv

A manual system cost next to nothing so you might as well stick one in

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/water/irrigation/

Obviously something that works on a timer will cost.

Harry Palmr, have you bought irrigation from this place? any good? I am looking to put in basic irrigation in some raised beds and wasn't sure where to buy. The hozelock kits are very expensive. How do you know which watering head to pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ceikiv wrote: »
    Harry Palmr, have you bought irrigation from this place? any good? I am looking to put in basic irrigation in some raised beds and wasn't sure where to buy. The hozelock kits are very expensive. How do you know which watering head to pick?

I bought my kit from quickcrop.ie - took about 2 weeks to arrive as not everything was in stock but was quality equipment. I got a drip hose so no watering heads needed, the water drips out all along the hose so it goes straight to the soil and not spraying plants and increasing humidity. Better quality than Hozelock IMO.

Advertisement