Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum campaigners in town today

Options
  • 05-05-2018 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Seriously, wtf? They are everywhere in droves, you walk past one and you see another who has already seen you walk past the first one and still insists on talking.

Leave us alone, the whole lot of you. We are old enough to figure things out for ourselves.

There, I feel better now.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I totally agree with you and also, no amount of posters will make up mind mind for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Exactly. Both sides seemed almost militant today. Didn't make eye contact with any of them and just kept walking.

Why though do they want us to sign petitions? The referendum is happening and the only thing concerning it that my name is on is my voting card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Completely agree. Was in there as well today, and in Red Square there must have been about 20 from each side all around that area near Costa and that ex-Waterfountain. It was way too much.

I'll be glad when this referendum is over, it's showing some people in a bad light. And especially some local politicians, whom have been very quiet for the past 2 years they've been in office, and all of a sudden they're in the limelight - but it's more for a referendum and not anything to help Waterford. Anyway, that's another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Said this on another Waterford city thread before and stand by it. This referendum has brought the worst of the loonies from both sides of the coin out

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

iseegirls wrote: »
    , it's showing some people in a bad light. And especially some local politicians, whom have been very quiet for the past 2 years they've been in office, and all of a sudden they're in the limelight - but it's more for a referendum and not anything to help Waterford. Anyway, that's another discussion.
    I know where you are coming from, personally I would like to see a ban on posters for all campaigns and especially referenda. They see it as an opportunity to promote themselves and party......What has Mary Lou's head with the party name on it doing other than self promotion....all parties do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

What has Mary Lou's head with the party name on it doing other than self promotion....all parties do it.[/QUOTE]

Sinn Fein, Mary Lou......Bandwagon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

The worst part is that if a no vote carries we will go through it all over again in two years!

Some towns around the country have tried to ban posters. Has not reallly worked. Arklow asked both sides not to put up posters, but the no side plastered the town anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,541 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some towns around the country have tried to ban posters. Has not reallly worked. Arklow asked both sides not to put up posters, but the no side plastered the town anyway.

I think they've banned them from the town center but not from the approach roads. Well in my local town.
    I know the No posters appeared on the approach roads and the people in the yes campaign tried to get them removed but they couldn't so they put up Yes posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

dzilla wrote: »
    Said this on another Waterford city thread before and stand by it. This referendum has brought the worst of the loonies from both sides of the coin out

Definitely a lot of lunatics on both sides but arent you the person who called one of the women, who had to carry her dead unborn child for months, a looney? If so then don't make out like your some mega genius for calling it a while ago, if it wasn't you then I apologize!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Deiseen wrote: »
    dzilla wrote: »

Definitely a lot of lunatics on both sides but arent you the person who called one of the women, who had to carry her dead unborn child for months, a looney? If so then don't make out like your some mega genius for calling it a while ago, if it wasn't you then I apologize!

**** off ya bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

With talk of referendum campaigners around the town etc. There is public rosary rally organised to take place in town next saturday for the no side to coincide with the referendum, not joking.

https://www.isfcc.org/rosary-rally

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

With talk of referendum campaigners around the town etc. There is public rosary rally organised to take place in town next saturday for the no side to coincide with the referendum, not joking.

From 11th to 13th May 2018, men and women will be gathering all over the country in their town squares, villages and grottoes to make a public plea to God asking Him to protect unborn life in Ireland.

Makes me wonder how many votes their god has ...... is the referendum 'fixed'?

These are often held in the month of May and this year they just have something special to pray to!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I thought that too, I thought it was a May procession or something, but looking at the one in Limerick last week, this is a much more milliatint affair.

O well, freedom of speech and all that, or just stay away from town while it's on.

Thankfully it will all be over in 2 weeks. As long as they stay in red Square and not the Viking Triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Just out of curiosity:

- How many of the above commenting are men vs women?
    - Anyone here ever been through a confirmed miscarriage and faced with the potential heart ache of waiting for a fetus to die before anything can be done? Or anyone here been at the birth of their child and seen the impact what referendum is for, in terms of being cut badly or have no consent in the delivery of their child?
    - Anyone here a woman and suffered from cancer and forced to take a pregnancy test before they can even consider having any life saving treatment?
    - Anyone here had a friend or relation go through a fatal fetal anomaly, seen the trauma and psychological scarring it causes?
    - Anyone here consider besides the fact of the referendum, that women tend to be disregarded and treated poorly in this country?
    - Who here thinks that it's just a women's issue and feel that men should not be bothered making a better place for women regardless of the 8th amendment?

Yes there are strong convictions on both sides but in fairness it's a pretty important issue, it's seems that the one true thing this highlighted is that Ireland is a misogynistic country where women are second-class citizens. Their health care is tendered to the lowest bidder, their uterus is a separate legal entity with the woman being devoid of any rights, be it the 8th amendment or the cervical cancer scandal.

The referendum is simply to repeal the constitutional amendment and return the law making function on the matter of abortion to its rightful place - the Oireachtas.

There will be no change in the legal situation as a result of a Yes vote, should that be the result.

Any change to the law would have to pass the various stages of approval as normal.
    It would then, as it should, be up to our elected representatives to change the law according to the wishes of 'the people', or leave it as it is presently.

That is when the discussion should take place on what the population want in the law.

Apparently those who want a No result do not wish the Oireachtas to have the power to make law on this issue.

@Kracken ......... none of your questions about experiences have any bearing on the referendum question.
    They would indeed have a bearing on any discussion about what the law should be, if there is a Yes result.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gillman1998

Kracken wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity:

- How many of the above commenting are men vs women?
    - Anyone here ever been through a confirmed miscarriage and faced with the potential heart ache of waiting for a fetus to die before anything can be done? Or anyone here been at the birth of their child and seen the impact what referendum is for, in terms of being cut badly or have no consent in the delivery of their child?
    - Anyone here a woman and suffered from cancer and forced to take a pregnancy test before they can even consider having any life saving treatment?
    - Anyone here had a friend or relation go through a fatal fetal anomaly, seen the trauma and psychological scarring it causes?
    - Anyone here consider besides the fact of the referendum, that women tend to be disregarded and treated poorly in this country?
    - Who here thinks that it's just a women's issue and feel that men should not be bothered making a better place for women regardless of the 8th amendment?

Yes there are strong convictions on both sides but in fairness it's a pretty important issue, it's seems that the one true thing this highlighted is that Ireland is a misogynistic country where women are second-class citizens. Their health care is tendered to the lowest bidder, their uterus is a separate legal entity with the woman being devoid of any rights, be it the 8th amendment or the cervical cancer scandal.

Not sure what the gender of posters here has to do with anything. I started the thread to comment on the numbers and attitudes of campaigners in both sides, not the merits or otherwise of either side.

My point is most mature adults can figure this out without being harangued in the streets. I would apply the same comments to elections as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There should be a complete ban on the use of posters and their use in referendums, local and general elections!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

There should be a complete ban on the use of posters and their use in referendums, local and general elections!

Absolutely, I would not say one person in the country has ever decided on who or how to vote based on an election poster. Not to mention the cable ties they leave sticking out from poles would take your eye out and the danger from blocking the view at road junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Agreed, the referendum posters are terrible and election posters just have someone's face which means nothing

• Advertisement

I actually like the posters in referendums/etc mainly because it can be a good boost in income for printers who might be struggling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I actually like the posters in referendums/etc mainly because it can be a good boost in income for printers who might be struggling!

It's a pity that Waterford City Council didn't apply the same logic while awarding a contract to a Northern Irish firm but I'm derailing this thread. So much for keeping money local and supporting local firms/industry!

http://www.wlrfm.com/2018/05/14/local-builders-lose-out-on-waterford-council-tender-as-it-is-awarded-to-northern-company/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

smaoifs wrote: »

Why though do they want us to sign petitions? .

Any petition is meaningless,
    It's all about gathering your personal data.

There was a news story a few weeks back about some teenage girl who was at the plow match and filled out one of them, cue a few weeks back they send her letters looking for donations.

The group claimed they wouldn't knowingly accept details from somebody under aged, but she was in her school uniform at the time so this would strongly suggest the chances were high she was not 18.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/abortion-referendum/i-am-absolutely-horrified-mothers-shock-after-prolife-group-asks-schoolgirl-for-funds-36792694.html

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Except chances are these aren't printed locally, they will be printed wherever the campaign's HQ is

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seems the no side have been busy with graphic images at certain roundabouts around Waterford during school run times the last few days, Gardai have been called several times and have had to remove them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Cabaal wrote: »
    Seems the no side have been busy with graphic images at certain roundabouts around Waterford during school run times the last few days, Gardai have been called several times and have had to remove them

Usually self righteous men holding them from what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Saw it myself this morning on the Williamstown Rd. Massive poster of an aborted foetus. The gardai were on the spot quite quickly.

Cabaal wrote: »

They removed the images only or those holding them?

I can see a reason to remove people due to concerns about safety at roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Spotted them holding the banner outside Grow HQ yesterday around midday.

Delighted both them and the banner were removed.

• Advertisement

They removed the images only or those holding them?

I can see a reason to remove people due to concerns about safety at roundabouts.

According to reports Gardai asked them to move from the area today and two of them refused, due to this two men were arrested.

I guess they want to be able to play the victim card

Advertisement