Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum campaigners in town today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

what I want to know.... whats the point.... like really how many people make their minds up based on seeing some idiot on a roundabout holding up a sign....
    what a waste of time.....

Its all over soon..... thank ****

• Registered Users Posts: 38,354 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its all over soon..... thank ****

Yeah thank ****

How everyone votes 2morrow. Even if u have no interest cast ur vote people died to allow us a vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

robtri wrote: »
    what I want to know.... whats the point.... like really how many people make their minds up based on seeing some idiot on a roundabout holding up a sign....
    what a waste of time.....

Bog f**king Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Mary butler was very Vocal and visible on no side.....pity she isn't as committed on Waterford issues.....useless and an embarrassment of a td..(not because of referendum)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Max Powers wrote: »
    Mary butler was very Vocal and visible on no side.....pity she isn't as committed on Waterford issues.....useless and an embarrassment of a td..(not because of referendum)

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Mary Butler made a show of herself on The Claire Byrne Show and for such a serious matter she treated the debate like it was a pantomime. She's just been interviewed and was asked if she'd support the legislation and she said she'd "reserve judgement". She didn't even want the referendum to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Ciara Conway the second!

Wonder what other useless lemon will replace her when she gets voted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

deisemum wrote: »
    Mary Butler made a show of herself on The Claire Byrne Show and for such a serious matter she treated the debate like it was a pantomime. She's just been interviewed and was asked if she'd support the legislation and she said she'd "reserve judgement". She didn't even want the referendum to take place.

Will she be kicked out? Given that she voted against the people even having this referendum, how can she stay in her seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Will she be kicked out? Given that she voted against the people even having this referendum, how can she stay in her seat?

I reckon she's got to be worried about her future now that Micheal Martin's position is strengthened as she was the main FF no voter who was very vocal about Micheal's future if No won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The same can be said for John Halligan on the yes side,its a pity hes not as passionate about things in Waterford as he was for this referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

BarryD2 wrote: »

Think I saw about two thirds of the Fianna Fail party went for the No Vote. You'd wonder if Fianna Fail were in main power, would those who voted No had their position change. Sometimes it feels like its trying to go against the establishment at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Mary Butler said her position on the referendum had softened after it was clear the Yes vote was successful. That's what you're dealing with right there, a week before she was on the Claire Byrne show making smart comments so she could get a cheer and applause from the No side.

Another joke of a politician from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Boooourns wrote: »
    Mary Butler said her position on the referendum had softened after it was clear the Yes vote was successful. That's what you're dealing with right there, a week before she was on the Claire Byrne show making smart comments so she could get a cheer and applause from the No side.

Ciara Conway Mark II

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I thought she was particularly gormless. She's what you might call a useful idiot though to the No side who used her FF position and spat her out. Was a very strong strong vote of almost 70% Yes in Waterford

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

road_high wrote: »
    I thought she was particularly gormless. She's what you might call a useful idiot though to the No side who used her FF position and spat her out. Was a very strong strong vote of almost 70% Yes in Waterford

I have to say I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this outcome in Waterford.

went down to Waterford and Tramore the week before the vote and was scary to see so many no posters compared to even kIlkenny, must have been only 2 yes posters in tramore as well.

Some of the no posters are also much nastier, especially those "Daddy won't you save me" type one's

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amazing how your position changes when you realise you've bet on the loosing horse,
    All she's proven is that she cannot be trusted.

My guess is due to the pro-lifer groups in Waterford she likely thought she was onto a sure thing and Waterford at the very least would vote no, but that turned out to be very, very wrong

Strange how she never promoted herself as pro-life during last election bid https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107126576&postcount=4214

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Spotted them holding the banner outside Grow HQ yesterday around midday.

Delighted both them and the banner were removed.

On the flip side the Yes side stationed themselves @ the Railway Station Roundabout @ peak times on a number of the mornings asking commuters to "honk your horn " for a Yes vote. Small bit tacky given the subject matter imo.

Now that the referendum has passed and the result declared I am wondering what liberal social matter FG will choose to ask us to decide upon over the next few years... Euthanasia? [5/10 years down the line perhaps]. More likely a "softer" option of legalising cannabis for medical use before that one! Or maybe Leo will text/tweet/call Justin Trudeau over there in Canada to see what he thinks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

On the flip side the Yes side stationed themselves @ the Railway Station Roundabout @ peak times on a number of the mornings asking commuters to "honk your horn " for a Yes vote. Small bit tacky given the subject matter imo.

Now that the referendum has passed and the result declared I am wondering what liberal social matter FG will choose to ask us to decide upon over the next few years... Euthanasia? [5/10 years down the line perhaps]. More likely a "softer" option of legalising cannabis for medical use before that one! Or maybe Leo will text/tweet/call Justin Trudeau over there in Canada to see what he thinks ;)

Halligan already put the right to die bill to the Dail in 2015. the ruling in the supreme court left it very open ended. some believe it needs a referendum but other commentators believe it will take a Bill through the parliament. don't think as a minster for state Halligan can put it forward again. surprised no one from Solidarity or other left leaning independents haven't tried it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Cabaal wrote: »
    I thought she was  particularly gormless. She's what you might call a useful idiot though to the No side who used her FF position and spat her out. Was a very strong strong vote of almost 70% Yes in Waterford

went down to Waterford and Tramore the week before the vote and was scary to see so many no posters compared to even kIlkenny, must have been only 2 yes posters in tramore as well.

Some of the no posters are also much nastier, especially those "Daddy won't you save me" type one's
    I personally found the No posters far warmer and far more fact based unlike the vague fluffy Yes posters. I think Mary Butler deserve huge credit for putting her neck on the line to protect vulnerable citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    I personally found the No posters far warmer and far more fact based unlike the vague fluffy Yes posters. I think Mary Butler deserve huge credit for putting her neck on the line to protect vulnerable citizens.

Mary..... Is that you???

Mary.....   Is that you???
    We didn't win the plebiscite but thousands of Waterford people did vote no and we still keep at it till we repeal the 36th! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Amazing how your position changes when you realise you've bet on the loosing horse,
    All she's proven is that she cannot be trusted.

My guess is due to the pro-lifer groups in Waterford she likely thought she was onto a sure thing and Waterford at the very least would vote no, but that turned out to be very, very wrong

Strange how she never promoted herself as pro-life during last election bid https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107126576&postcount=4214

I suppose in fairness to all election candidates you can only fit in a certain amount of info on election leaflets due to leaflet space/size etc.

But in fairness prior to the last general election all candidates were asked to complete/take part an online survey on whichcandidate.ie to give their views on the various issues some candidiates took part in that online survey while others didn,t . Mary took part in that online survey & gave her reply to the issue of abortion " as only when the mothers life is at risk from illness or suicide " .

Other views/opinions Mary stated in that online survey weren,t included in her election leaflet, as you can only fit in a certain amount of info on election leaflets due to leaflet space/size etc.

Link is provided to Mary,s profile from whichcandidate.ie .

http://whichcandidate.ie/events/5/constituencies/48/candidates/296

She put her neck on the line alright...she'll hopefully have it chopped off in return next election ;)

The posters had virtually no impact- in fact the exit polling showed some negativity from the evil No posters with soft No voters which factored in their switch to Yes.
    Waterford in fairness always had a strong sense of social solidarity linked to the TU movement, I knew it would go Yes. Possibly why as you say it was so targeted by No posters.

What kind of sadist finds pics of dead fetuses near schools and hospitals " far warmer". Jesus there are some really twisted people out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Boooourns

What kind of sadist finds pics of dead fetuses near schools and hospitals " far warmer". Jesus there are some really twisted people out there

and calling people murderers in the middle of red square.

We didn't win the plebiscite but thousands of Waterford people did vote no and we still keep at it till we repeal the 36th! :)

Yeah, good luck with that
    :rolleyes:

Funnily enough I don't hear you say anything about smoking adds which are vastly more gruesome. Waterford Prolife never used any graphic billboards. Other individuals did but not Waterford Prolife.

and calling people murderers in the middle of red square.
    Actually the John Roberts Square No stands were extremely chill. I would be shocked if even one person said abuse from it. In contrast I had Yes people try to throw dangerous objects at us and plenty of abuse. While the Yes sides shouting protests was just frankly annoying to all sides.
    It is incorrect to say the No acted badly. If anything it was the more extreme side of the Yes who were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It is incorrect to say the No acted badly. If anything it was the more extreme side of the Yes who were.

Both Yes and No sides on the extreme end acted awfully throughout the month. As you've said earlier, the party you were involved with didn't get involved with such distasteful posters that other No parties did. Hence why you made sure to distance yourself from them. In a similar way, there were many Yes side parties who conducted themselves well, while others let themselves down.

Advertisement