Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum campaigners in town today

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    Funnily enough I don't hear you say anything about smoking adds which are vastly more gruesome. Waterford Prolife never used any graphic billboards. Other individuals did but not Waterford Prolife.

Actually the John Roberts Square No stands were extremely chill. I would be shocked if even one person said abuse from it. In contrast I had Yes people try to throw dangerous objects at us and plenty of abuse. While the Yes sides shouting protests was just frankly annoying to all sides.
    It is incorrect to say the No acted badly. If anything it was the more extreme side of the Yes who were.

Ah right so you were one of the "campaigners" on the No side. That explains the poster fetish. Hopefully now this all done and dusted and the 8th is in the rubbish bin where it belongs you can go out and get a life for yourself.
    The general sense all round (back here on planet earth) is that the No side, tactics and demeanor were broadly reprehensible. But this is pretty much the last time we will be hearing this kind of rubbish- divorce, marriage and equality and female reproduction rights have all been dealt with comprehensively. When we remove the role of the RCC in schools/hospitals next time it'll be far more clear and direct as the emotional/social blackmail will be absent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

road_high wrote: »
    Funnily enough I don't hear you say anything about smoking adds which are vastly more gruesome. Waterford Prolife never used any graphic billboards. Other individuals did but not Waterford Prolife.

Actually the John Roberts Square No stands were extremely chill. I would be shocked if even one person said abuse from it. In contrast I had Yes people try to throw dangerous objects at us and plenty of abuse. While the Yes sides shouting protests was just frankly annoying to all sides.
    It is incorrect to say the No acted badly. If anything it was the more extreme side of the Yes who were.

Ah right so you were one of the "campaigners" on the No side. That explains the poster fetish. Hopefully now this all done and dusted and the 8th is in the rubbish bin where it belongs you can go out and get a life for yourself.
    The general sense all round (back here on planet earth) is that the No side, tactics and demeanor were broadly reprehensible. But this is pretty much the last time we will be hearing this kind of rubbish- divorce, marriage and equality and female reproduction rights have all been dealt with comprehensively. When we remove the role of the RCC in schools/hospitals next time it'll be far more clear and direct as the emotional/social blackmail will be absent.
    ProChoicer labels No side behaviour as 'reprehensible', then proceeds to dish out personal insults unprovoked :wassat:
    The Prolife campaign is not going anywhere. Abortion is not a resolved issue where it is legal, not in the UK, not in Nordic countries and not anywhere. Just like the No campaign of 35 years ago we will keep at it till we over turn this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ProChoicer labels No side behaviour as 'reprehensible', then proceeds to dish out personal insults unprovoked :wassat:
    The Prolife campaign is not going anywhere. Abortion is not a resolved issue where it is legal, not in the UK, not in Nordic countries and not anywhere. Just like the No campaign of 35 years ago we will keep at it till we over turn this.

I heard David Quinn on this speil the other night on RTE. Oppose away but the law no longer vindicates your position. I'm not interested what you think of me personally, I'm just calling the No side out as they acted and their behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

That's interesting selling cigarettes to minor is illegal so they shouldn't see them, seeing them on the ground is litter which again is an offense. Smokers letting their kids see them is something they as parent should be considering as correct or appropriate. But posters in front of schools or maternity hospital does not hold up the same argument.

By extremely chill you mean chilled out when they start verbally abusing the women on the yes stand, or using aggressive behaviour to intimidate others. They didn't need to walk from their No stand 20m away and stand toe to toe with the Yes people.

The point of throwing things, start naming and shaming. Full disclosure is needed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Abortion is not a resolved issue where it is legal, not in the UK, not in Nordic countries and not anywhere.

If you think abortion is a resolved issue when you making it illegal then frankly you are only sticking your head in the ground.

Also, it seems odd that out of the numerous no campaigners who approached me none of them would even answer me on removing the right to travel and info on abortions and why they were not lobbying to change this.

It's as if they believed abortion was murder.....except when the women could get the boat or fly. Strange that.
    :rolleyes:

The mental gymnastics to be ok with that "murder" must give you awful headaches

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Abortion is not a resolved issue where it is legal, not in the UK, not in Nordic countries and not anywhere.

If you think abortion is a resolved issue when you making it illegal then frankly you are only sticking your head in the ground.

Also, it seems odd that out of the numerous no campaigners who approached me none of them would even answer me on removing the right to travel and info on abortions and why they were not lobbying to change this.

It's as if they believed abortion was murder.....except when the women could get the boat or fly. Strange that.
    :rolleyes:

The mental gymnastics to be ok with that "murder" must give you awful headaches
    I wouldn't say resolved. It is a social crisis if even one woman feels by family or economic pressure that she must go for one. Thankfully our abortion rate had been dropping considerable for over a decade but that is now undermined.
    If you approached me about the right to travel I would have explained. The right to travel came about as a political compromise in the 1990s, it had nothing to with the legal interpretation of the Eight Amendment, and no one thinks an abortion in the UK is any more moral. I used to live in the UK and I have protested outside outside UK abortion mills. Murder is unlawful killing, it is up to lawyers to decide if a killing is lawful so I wouldn't call abortion murder but I would call it unnecessary killing of human life, a backward medieval solution to a modern problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I wouldn't say resolved. It is a social crisis if even one woman feels by family or economic pressure that she must go for one. Thankfully our abortion rate had been dropping considerable for over a decade but that is now undermined.
    If you approached me about the right to travel I would have explained. The right to travel came about as a political compromise in the 1990s, it had nothing to with the legal interpretation of the Eight Amendment, and no one thinks an abortion in the UK is any more moral. I used to live in the UK and I have protested outside outside UK abortion mills. Murder is unlawful killing, it is up to lawyers to decide if a killing is lawful so I wouldn't call abortion murder but I would call it unnecessary killing of human life, a backward medieval solution to a modern problem.

You are in the minority in this country with those beliefs.

Now take down your fecking posters, not one of the no posters have been taken down since last week. The no side were pretty good at removing yes posters before the vote, ye can't say ye don't know how to cut them down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Ha bloody hell! My Wife was called a murderer for just taking a leaflet from the Repeal side, that is a fact and i know of several other incidents but you carry on telling porkies there.

Boooourns wrote: »

Ha bloody hell!  My Wife was called a murderer for just taking a leaflet from the Repeal side, that is a fact and i know of several other incidents but you carry on telling porkies there.
    I wasn't present the whole time, but I can say I never encountered any thing like it and I know for certain what you report was exceptionally rare. In fact I would say mostly the nastiness was online but I did get a small amount of verbal and physical abuse in John Roberts Square from pro abortion folk.

Ta

Now take down your fecking posters, not one of the no posters have been taken down since last week. The no side were pretty good at removing yes posters before the vote, ye can't say ye don't know how to cut them down!
    Taking down posters is slower when you are not funded by US billionaires like the Yes side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

An_Toirpin wrote:
    Taking down posters is slower when you are not funded by US billionaires like the Yes side.

It would be interesting to see where the funding came from for the no campaign, institutions such Iona and groups such as love both!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    An_Toirpin wrote:

It would be interesting to see where the funding came from for the no campaign, institutions such Iona and groups such as love both!
    All the official Sipto rules followed unlike the Amnesty International chancers.

An_Toirpin wrote:
    All the official Sipto rules followed unlike the Amnesty International chancers.

There's no question, funding from both sides was some what questionable, but you can't be denying it, both sides have some answering to be doing. I wouldn't be overly worrying about it though, as this is only the beginning of the matter, wait for the highly questionable backlash from the no campaign, to try undermine the decision

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ta

No side at it again with misinformation, you and I know this is a completely miss leading claim and is false when it comes to any conpaigning that took placed by together for yes,

There's no question, funding from both sides was some what questionable, but you can't be denying it, both sides have some answering to be doing. I wouldn't be overly worrying about it though, as this is only the beginning of the matter, wait for the highly questionable backlash from the no campaign, to try undermine the decision

High Court cases still will happen, its what the no side does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I havent seen any no posters still up but i have seen two yes posters still up three days after they should be taken down,as of this morning one on Bunkers Hill and one across from the main entrance to the WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Though this referendum ended two weeks ago no? And people here still talking the yes/no ****e. Give it a rest lads. Go out and enjoy the sun!

Though this referendum ended two weeks ago no? And people here still talking the yes/no ****e. Give it a rest lads. Go out and enjoy the sun!

unfortunately this is far from over, but good point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

unfortunately this is far from over, but good point

Regina Doherty already on about cutting child benefit for earners over €100k. How long before the No side links this to funding abortion services?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

All the hallmarks from your post of an extremely bitter loser. The people of Ireland have spoken and we will finally join the rest of the world on reproductive rights for women. You sound like the sort of fanatical zealot who would picket medical facilities where terminations will (soon) be available or worse...

I bet you voted against the SSM referendum, the divorce referendum etc. You and your ilk are being consigned to the dustbin of history.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »

All the hallmarks from your post of an extremely bitter loser. The people of Ireland have spoken and we will finally join the rest of the world on reproductive rights for women. You sound like the sort of fanatical zealot who would picket medical facilities where terminations will (soon) be available or worse...

I bet you voted against the SSM referendum, the divorce referendum etc. You and your ilk are being consigned to the dustbin of history.
    Nope. I am not bitter but I am zealot, a zealot for human rights, equality and liberty. Hence I'm prolife. I didn't vote in the SSM referendum and I am far too young to have voted in any divorce referendum.
    We are not consigned to history anywhere else, so why in Ireland.
    Schreeuw om Leven (Dutch Scream for Life pro life march

Anyway as friendfun pointed out, it is probably time to chill and enjoy the sun.

Advertisement