Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing before re-snag?

Options
  • 05-05-2018 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    We're in the process of getting into our new-build home. We've completed the snag and there wasn't anything major just cosmetic/decoration/paintwork that needs to be redone. The current re-snag date is the 15th May

We're under pressure to move out of our current place so we are trying to get the bank/solicitor aligned so we can close ASAP.

The developer has said they have all their necessary sign-offs and will send the notice of completion to our solicitor tuesday next week and we should be able to close shortly thereafter.

I know in the general workflow the re-snag is done to ensure the builder has fixed everything and then closing happens but assuming the builders give their word and say they will fix everything post-closing would there be any issues? Going from the facebook page the builders have returned to fix various issues weeks/months after closing when they cropped up so I don't think they will simply abandon it (I guess thats the risk as I see it)

I just want to try and get the floors in ASAP so we can actually move in really.
    Cheers

B.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No incentive for the builder to fix the snags once funds are handed over.
    I’d wait until after the snag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    assuming the builders give their word and say they will fix everything post-closing would there be any issues?

B.

The cause of a lot of heartache.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    the builders give their word
    Did they write it and sign it? Because otherwise they'll just say that you didn't want the snag done as you were moving in right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you're happy to see the last of the builder...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

As someone who has recently purchased a new home, short answer...NO NO NO
    We have builders still on site but getting them to fix anything is a pain in the hoop (leaking pipe, pressure in heating system, the list goes on)
    So do not sign anything until your snag list is sorted (if you ever want these issues to be resolved)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Thanks for the replies all, seems to be a unanimous verdict.
    Despite that we have closed and will get the keys this Tuesday!

Only joking, we can wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

In fairness, you say the snagging is purely a few cosmetic paint issues.

Hardly something to be overly concerned about even if the builder doesn't do them.

The chances are the painting is done by a contractor who charges the builder per house, so there'd be no reason for the builder to renege on the promise and the contractor won't want to cause a fuss over a half hour on site job

kceire wrote: »
    No incentive for the builder to fix the snags once funds are handed over.
    I’d wait until after the snag.

Plenty of incentive if there's a Facebook page that allows comments - op says comments are very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Plenty of incentive if there's a Facebook page that allows comments - op says comments are very positive.

Has the OP verified the commenters' id's.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Depending on the contract, you can raise patent (obvious) issues for up to one-two years after signing and the contractor is obliged to fix them.

Again depending on the contract, you can raise latent (non-obvious) issues for up to six-twelve years after signing and the contractor is obliged to fix them.

• Advertisement

Facebook page reviews for big contractors building houses in the biggest housing shortage the country has ever seen mean absolutely nothing.

Facebook page reviews for big contractors building houses in the biggest housing shortage the country has ever seen mean absolutely nothing.

I disagree. People are dreadfully quick to put up comments and once you allow comments you can't get them deleted unless they are insulting or very blatantly out to deceive.

And as per the op its a few cosmetic paint bits - personally I never bothered with that as they'd be repainted soon enough anyway.

I disagree. People are dreadfully quick to put up comments and once you allow comments you can't get them deleted unless they are insulting or very blatantly out to deceive.

And as per the op its a few cosmetic paint bits - personally I never bothered with that as they'd be repainted soon enough anyway.

Everybody has their own opinion.
    I deal with these large contractors on a daily basis and I still wouldn’t sign until complete snags are done. Buts that’s my opinion I suppose.

Everybody has their own opinion.
    I deal with these large contractors on a daily basis and I still wouldn’t sign until complete snags are done. Buts that’s my opinion I suppose.

Even if its just a few little decorative issues?

If it was more serious issues such as badly fitted doors or Windows or broken tiles or insulation issues, that'd be different. But a few decorative paint issues would not be an issue with me - maybe I just prefer not to dwell on minor stuff in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

IMO it really depends on the contractor. We moved in after the re-snag was done but with a number of snags still outstanding. The builders were still onsite and we knew from talking to others who had moved in that they were good at coming back to fix snags. It was also in our contract that they would fix small snags up to a certain date after closing. With all that in mind, we were happy to move in even with the outstanding snags. Not every case will be like that though.

Advertisement