Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEED CAO ADVICE

Options
  • 05-05-2018 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am really interested in an accounting career but also really enjoy economics.

Is this the best choice course for me next year?

I'm also interested in TSM Economics and Sociology but that rules out Accounting which isn't the end of the world for me!

Is DCU Accounting and Finance well accredited/recognused by the major finance/accounting firms of the world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 markjack98

The DCU Accounting and Finance would be good if you want to do accounting as it'll provide a lot of exemptions but it's not finance orientated. You can drop sociology in TSM and just do econ and if you were interested, there are a few finance/maths modules in year 3/4. Without trying to sound elite, Trinity would be much better if you want to work in a bank. Same with UCD. The main investment banks see Trinity and UCD as target universities.

Also first year econ is extremely difficult in Trinity, I got 95.5% in my leaving cert exam and struggle with it. Some courses do an easy module which I think is called Economy of Ireland, but the main introduction to economics which you'll do in BESS, PPES or TSM is very very hard and would be nothing like you've seen in the LC. There's also maths and stats for business and economics in first year which is okay, but continuous assessment is 40% so it's easy enough to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ivorn77 wrote: »

I'm also interested in TSM Economics and Sociology but that rules out Accounting which isn't the end of the world for me!

That course would not rule you out of, say, the big four accounting bodies. You'll be doing professional exams with them anyway.

Some of the most desired applicants for the big four would be science and engineering graduates, with good degrees - as you'd have knowledge of the companies they'd audit.

So, do the degree of your choice and go from there. Good luck.

That course would not rule you out of, say, the big four accounting bodies. You'll be doing professional exams with them anyway.

You're 100% right. PwC, Deloitte, KPMG and EY like to have a mixture of candidates from broad backgrounds.

However, in my experience, banks don't. They like business, econ, finance and maths courses, the furthest I've seen banks go in terms of other subjects would be theoretical physics for trading as it's very mathsy.

OP, if you're unsure of what course to do, go on linkedin and find people who did the course and where they got graduate jobs! Also doesn't hurt to contact the departments in each college and ask them where graduates go.

Advertisement