Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright objects in the east and the west ..

Options
  • 05-05-2018 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

looking at the sky in the last couple of nights there have been large bright "stars" in the east and the west, much bigger and brighter than the average star, never seen them before either and I am frequently looking up at the sky at night

any ideas of what I am looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Likely Jupiter in the east and Venus in the west.
    Venus would be setting around dusk while Jupiter would only be starting to be visable about the same time, give or take. I was watching them earlier this eve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

Yep. Venus is a blazingly bright magnitude -4 in the west after sunset. If you're looking soon after that, the bright first star to appear is Arcturus high up in the east. Jupiter appears later on, very visible after midnight, about magnitude -2.5. So depends what time you are looking, but you can always tell the difference between a star and a planet (even apart from brightness) -- Arcturus will be twinkling but Jupiter will be very steady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 moneymore

Is anyone seeing the extremely bright 'blue star' in the west of the sky tonight? Can someone please explain what it is?

moneymore wrote: »
    Is anyone seeing the extremely bright 'blue star' in the west of the sky tonight? Can someone please explain what it is?
    What time, how high above the horizon? (measured in "fingers" like this):

Mlfo5ug.jpg?1

ps200306 wrote: »
    What time, how high above the horizon? (measured in "fingers" like this):

Mlfo5ug.jpg?1

Right now, roughly 6 fingers

• Advertisement

That's Regulus in Leo, a hot blue-white star (the astronomers would call it a type B, surface temperature around 11-12,000 K, about twice as hot as the Sun).

ps200306 wrote: »
    That's Regulus in Leo, a hot blue-white star (the astronomers would call it a type B, surface temperature around 25,000 K).

I've never seen a star that blue in the sky before it's basically noen, you'd swear it's a light on top of a mast only for the height! where I am there's no other star visible in the sky tonight!

Yeah, its pretty neat. I got the temperature wrong ... turns out it's a late B type, corrected above. The early B types and O types are the real hotties. They're what make the arms of spiral galaxies blue, like this:

z028c59.jpg?1

They live fast and die young though. The very hottest come and go in just a few million years. The hot B types might last 15 or 20 million. Regulus, being on the cooler end might last a couple of hundred million. But it'll still die a young pup compared to our Sun which will still only be in young middle age when Regulus is a distant memory.

Advertisement