Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural survey and extension potential

Options
  • 06-05-2018 6:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

We're looking at a buying a house with a view to extending it later. If we get someone to conduct a normal structural survey, would they be able to advise us of the feasibility of our ideas? Or would we also need to get an architect to look at it? Thinking of having plumbed fixtures that aren't beside existing plumbed fixtures for example

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Moving fittings/plumbing usually isn't a matter of feasibility, more a matter of cost.

It wouldn't be in the normal realm for a surveyor, but you could pay them extra and they might give you an idea of complexity, unlikely to give you costs though.

If you're going to get the work done, get in a buildet or architect or quantity surveyor to give you some costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

colm_c wrote: »
    Moving fittings/plumbing usually isn't a matter of feasibility, more a matter of cost.

It wouldn't be in the normal realm for a surveyor, but you could pay them extra and they might give you an idea of complexity, unlikely to give you costs though.

If you're going to get the work done, get in a buildet or architect or quantity surveyor to give you some costs.
    Great, thanks.
    How much would an architect charge to call out to a site and give an estimate? Or would it be free/part of their sales process?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Great, thanks.
    How much would an architect charge to call out to a site and give an estimate? Or would it be free/part of their sales process?

No idea, I'm afraid. Ring a few, it'll be 1/2 a day od their time, including travel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Great, thanks.

I did this last year. Architect checked the property and sketched some drawings for future renovations and changes. 4 to 5 hours work for 300 euro.
    Worth it as we had questions about the viability of certain aspects of the property that the architect was able to clarify for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I did this last year. Architect checked the property and sketched some drawings for future renovations and changes. 4 to 5 hours work for 300 euro.
    Worth it as we had questions about the viability of certain aspects of the property that the architect was able to clarify for us.
    Thats fine if an architect provided you with some advice on your future renovations but an architect cant provide a structural survey. They are two seperate queries that need to be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

James 007 wrote: »
    Thats fine if an architect provided you with some advice on your future renovations but an architect cant provide a structural survey. They are two seperate queries that need to be addressed.

I was responding directly to the question of the cost of an architect.

James 007 wrote: »

You did well at €300.

I wanted pretty much the same thing last year and I got a price of "about" €2,000. Needless to say there was no further contact. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ciandes

colm_c wrote: »

Great, thanks.
    Hi Blergh 
    I am looking to do very similar i.e. buying a house with a view to extending it later. It needs some immediate work as is an executor sale. 
    Did you find someone and did and what was cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

ciandes wrote: »
    Hi Blergh 
    I am looking to do very similar i.e. buying a house with a view to extending it later. It needs some immediate work as is an executor sale. 
    Did you find someone and did and what was cost?
    I've engaged someone who'll do it. 400 all in for survey, and he mentioned he could do sketches in relation to extension ideas.
    Another 200 I think it is for boundary mapping, separate to both of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have not watched room to improve ? architects no nothing about pricing.

Get a builder, QS or engineer

• Advertisement
Advertisement