Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trellis for top of wall

Options
  • 06-05-2018 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I put this I did, but here might be better:

After doing a good bit of work to the house over the past 2 years, we're now turning our attention to the garden.
    Garden is approx 16m x 6m, terraced house. On one side, the wall is only about 4.5 foot high. I'd like to increase this to at least 6 foot, but the wall is block on side with no pillars, so the simplest solution appears to be a trellis on top.
    So to that end, can anyone recommend a supplier / type etc to add about 2 foot to the top of the wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Any fencing supplier should be able to sort you out.

E.g. http://www.abwood.ie/product-category/garden-trellis-fencing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just a note, if there aren't pillars then attaching the trellis to the wall without other support will increase the loading on the wall in windy conditions - if the trellis is covered in vegetation the load could be significant. You may want to drive posts into the ground as well as attaching to the wall to reduce the risk of collapse. Saw pics of quite a few walls demolished in this way during Storm Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Zzippy wrote: »
    Just a note, if there aren't pillars then attaching the trellis to the wall without other support will increase the loading on the wall in windy conditions - if the trellis is covered in vegetation the load could be significant. You may want to drive posts into the ground as well as attaching to the wall to reduce the risk of collapse. Saw pics of quite a few walls demolished in this way during Storm Ophelia.
    Ya, totally hear ya, Wall is tied into 2 sheds on either side so maybe 6-7m span, but long span nonetheless, will certainly support it, but want a quick solution for now. Posts sound an easy win.

Lumen wrote: »
    Any fencing supplier should be able to sort you out.

E.g. http://www.abwood.ie/product-category/garden-trellis-fencing
    I had a quick look through this, they're not as solid as I'm looking for i.e. looking for privacy from the off, not necessarily waiting for climbers to grow. So maybe a 2foot high fencing panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

budhabob wrote: »
    I had a quick look through this, they're not as solid as I'm looking for i.e. looking for privacy from the off, not necessarily waiting for climbers to grow. So maybe a 2foot high fencing panel?

Solid panels will require more support as the wind load is greater.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Solid panels will require more support as the wind load is greater.

Ya, I'm aware of this. I can tie it into 2 solid sheds on either end and support in the centre so I'm not too concerned about the wind loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you can properly fix it, why bother with trellis or flimsy ready made panelling? Put in some posts and make 'hit and miss' panelling - where you put strips of timber on alternate sides of the uprights to allow wind through without visibility.
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f4/67/11/f467110d34d111ea30535a377939e9f8.jpg

Advertisement