Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat poo in patch

Options
  • 06-05-2018 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

My mother and father in law very kindly filled and planted our small concrete built veggie patch yesterday. We have spinach, broccolli and peas planted.

We have 3 cats and 1 is kept outside because he urinates everwhere (behavioural issue...even though neutered). Last night, I went out to check on the pond and I turned and noticed a fresh pile of cat poo on the new planted area. I don’t want this to become the norm because it is vegetables rather than flowers. Any advice to prevent this again other than covering it over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

There are lots of cat repellent gels and sprays you can try.
    Up to and including Lion dung!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar-Lion-Manure-Repellant/dp/B0002B7OT2

I've yet to find one that actually works though :(
    Mind I haven't tried the lion dung :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Got a spray recently and it was useless. Lavender and citrus peels are more useful in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IME citrus peel just attracts slugs. They say some nice spikey twigs are the way to go. Pyrocanta is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

We had this problem with a neighbour's cats. I would agree with Kylith above. Thorny twigs criss-crossed over the newly dug earth is a good deterrent and won't impact on your vegetables. We have used briar clippings (no shortage at the bottom of our garden). Let them dry out first then lay them on the veggie patch. Preventing the cat from establishing a habit of using that area as a toilet is key, then you can get rid of the twigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ceikiv

Get some bamboo sticks and criss cross over the garden. put a few upright also and the cats won't be able to get into the fresh dirt there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement