Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Tourists visiting Cork

Options
  • 06-05-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My husband is a Corkman, and we are planning a holiday in Cork,  but wondered what the situation was like there these days.  After reading the article by Michael Martin from his speech in Dundalk, and the other articles about the fellow who is erasing the English place names from around the English Market,   we wondered how safe our british registered car would be,  and in effect,  are British tourists still welcome,    we have been coming over and spending our cash for many years,  but have not visited for the past couple of years.     any comments would be helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

newtonjo wrote: »
    My husband is a Corkman, and we are planning a holiday in Cork,  but wondered what the situation was like there these days.  After reading the article by Michael Martin from his speech in Dundalk, and the other articles about the fellow who is erasing the English place names from around the English Market,   we wondered how safe our british registered car would be,  and in effect,  are British tourists still welcome,    we have been coming over and spending our cash for many years,  but have not visited for the past couple of years.     any comments would be helpful

You will have no issues , well no more then any other car in the city

Your reg will blend with the other UK regs where the vrt hasn't been paid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Has to be a wind -up.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Your reg will blend with the other UK regs where the vrt hasn't been paid

+1 There's loads of British reg cars around the place as so many people are buying cars in the UK.

I would be absolutely shocked if you received any ill treatment at all. Come over and enjoy it, lots and lots to do

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

newtonjo wrote:
    My husband is a Corkman, and we are planning a holiday in Cork, but wondered what the situation was like there these days. After reading the article by Michael Martin from his speech in Dundalk, and the other articles about the fellow who is erasing the English place names from around the English Market, we wondered how safe our british registered car would be, and in effect, are British tourists still welcome, we have been coming over and spending our cash for many years, but have not visited for the past couple of years. any comments would be helpful

Unless your car is of the time machine DeLorean type and ye arrive the day after Michael Collins was shot, when tempers would have been high in the region, ye'll be absolutely grand.

Just to be sure, wait until we see if Ed Sheeran gets out alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

A political agenda behind this nonsensical OP anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Yikes - you have not one single thing to worry about. that worry is almost as if you were planning to drive around Belfast with a Dublin D reg white van. That might be a different story.......

Enjoy the travels, the guys removing the English street names and signs are just lefty politically correct folk - Not the aggressive Republicans it suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Ye might get slagged, but no more than someone from Dublin.

jackboy wrote: »
    Ye might get slagged, but no more than someone from Dublin.

No they won't. People don't slag random people driving down a street in a big tourist city, not even in cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

No they won't. People don't slag random people driving down a street in a big tourist city, not even in cork!

What if they were wearing a dublin jersey? Or worse again, a dundalk jersey around the Turner's Cross area?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

.red. wrote:
    What if they were wearing a dublin jersey? Or worse again, a dundalk jersey around the Turner's Cross area?

I work near Turners x and like everyone else in the area wouldn't care what jersey you'd have on. Maybe for the 2 times a year on the street outside the stadium for a few hours where you'd have Dundalk playing, once in a while one drunk idiot might shout something at someone, but that's rare enough at family oriented football club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cork is very cosmopolitan these days.
    The city centre feels like any European city, but with better pubs.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Cork is very cosmopolitan these days.
    The city centre feels like any European city, but with better pubs.

It's overtaken Galway as Irelands nicest city to visit for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12 newtonjo

A political agenda behind this nonsensical OP anyway.
    There is no political agenda behind my post,     since we are based in the UK we can only analyse what we read on line and in the papers,  that is why I asked the question of people who are resident in Cork         We drove through Wexford once, and a gang of youths shouted abuse at our English Reg   so there is a reason behind my asking

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

There is no political agenda behind my post,     since we are based in the UK we can only analyse what we read on line and in the papers,  that is why I asked the question of people who are resident in Cork         We drove through Wexford once, and a gang of youths shouted abuse at our English Reg   so there is a reason behind my asking
    To us living here it just seemed bizarre as there are so many English people living in Cork and so many GB registered cars.
    There are more English people living in Cork than any other county in Ireland, more continental Europeans living here than other regions, more Protestants than any other county in Ireland and West Cork has been a haven for lots of English crusties and hippies for decades. In Irish terms it’s always been far more mixed than other regions due to our location and the marine/trading/shipping history of Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

English people are the second biggest non Irish national group in Ireland, just behind the Poles.

But in Cork, particularly west cork, they are by far the largest non Irish nationality.

Btw, try not reading too much into sensationalist online rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Well there is a terrorist campaign going on in Kerry ATM. Guerilla warfare with many lives lost! According to Shane ross. But nothing against English people. Nothing to worry about. One wonders what papers do with storm in teacups.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A good friend and former work colleague of mine from England (Devon originally) settled down with a Corkman years ago and has never had any problems whatsoever with the locals. In fact, she's there so long now she is made feel like one of the locals. Lives in North Cork and works in the city.

West Cork has a large number of English ex-pats. You are extremely unlikely to have any trouble in Cork at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

In my time living in cork I,ve had my tyres slashed twice, 4 wing mirrors broken off, my ariel taken and (for some bizarre reason) they broke into my car and robbed my steering wheel. All seperate incidents, but that was over a 10 year period so I'm sure you will be fine. My car has a cork reg btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

A question for the op.

I'm planning to visit London in a few weeks

According to Donald Trump it is full of knife crime and its hospitals are worse than those in the middle of war zones with blood all over the floors.

Will I be safe in London with (if you believe Trump) people being murdered and maimed left right and centre.??

Answer is yes, of course I'll be safe, cause Donald Trump is a fool and his source was the daily mail / muck.

And anyone that believes Trump or anything in the daily mail is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

You'll have no problems in cork. Its a lovely vibrant welcoming city.
    The place is crawling with foreign registered cars so yours wont even stand out.
    As for a group of youths shouting at your car one time. Just ignore that nonsense. Im guessing lads like that exist in uk too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement