Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.4tsi engines

• 06-05-2018 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here as any experience with the 1.4tsi petrol engines. I'm currently driving a diesel Octavia and will probably change in the new year. Considering changing to a petrol because of diesels uncertain future and I hear these engines are pretty economical now. A superb in 1.4tsi 150bhp is what I have in mind. I do about 25-30k a year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’d have to consider who would want to pay good money for a 3 year old petrol car with 90k on it for example - If you’re worried about resale. It’s not a lot of mileage of course but compared to most other petrols it will be.

I can’t see the diesel thing being an issue. It’s the standard for this class of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’d have to consider who would want to pay good money for a 3 year old petrol car with 90k on it for example - If you’re worried about resale. It’s not a lot of mileage of course but compared to most other petrols it will be.

I can’t see the diesel thing being an issue. It’s the standard for this class of car.

The thing is they can't go after diesel for no reason and petrols really aren't any better for the environment so if they go after one they'll inadvertently go after the other. I think with the increased amount of EVs coming onto the market within the next three years people will naturally start switching towards those over the next ten years or so.

With your mileage i think you'd be mad to chose a petrol over a diesel. Even if they equalise the cost of diesel V petrol via taxation and you lose the extra value of the diesel car on trade in, you'd still be saving money from the diesel being more economical. I'm not pro or anti any fuel, just think the diesel suits your needs better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I am on my second one bought a demo Leon with a 1.4TSI 125bhp and traded it for an A4 b9 1.4tfsi 150bhp. The Leon was a little better on fuel but A4 averages early 40s mpg without trying too hard a superb should be similar although would be bigger and heavier. I like the engine a lot and couldn’t see myself going back to a diesel for several reasons. I am doing about 25-30k km a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

I recently changed from a 1.9 tid 150hp in a Saab 95 to a 1.4 tsi 150hp in a Skoda Kodiaq. The Saab definely had the edge on performance with 320 Nm of torque compared to, I think 250 in the Kodiaq. But the Saab was a rattlly old thing, and I am really appreciating the quietness and smoothness of the petrol motor. The diesel has the pull from low down in the rev range, where it's most useful, but if you rev the Kodiaq it will fairly shift, it just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. It's a family bus anyway, so I don't drive it like that.
    Economy is about the same surprisingly, maybe the diesel had a slight edge. 90% of my journeys are short urban spins and I get about 32mpg.
    With that kind of use I had plenty of issues with the Saab including the swirl flaps and the diesel particle filter (DPF), when I traded it in, the dual mass flywheel was on the way out, a €1300.00 job! All diesel issues, connected to the wrong kind of use for that engine. Hopefully the petrol Skoda won't mind the short journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hunter701

Kran wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here as any experience with the 1.4tsi petrol engines. I'm currently driving a diesel Octavia and will probably change in the new year. Considering changing to a petrol because of diesels uncertain future and I hear these engines are pretty economical now. A superb in 1.4tsi 150bhp is what I have in mind. I do about 25-30k a year.

I just rebuilt a gearbox in my 1.4TSI 122bhp jetta with 197000kms and it was in the region of 1000 euro or else 4250 euro for new gearbox from dealer gearboxes are not as easy get as the diesel models havent had any issues as of yet with the engine just regular oil change service good power in car and economical enough to drive i really liked my experience had it for just over 14 months but wont be going near a Volkswagen again seemly the turbos can go in them or stick so ive heard and the timing chains rattle and need replacing roughly another €450 to replace id go for a diesel VW if i was to go for VW again hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

We have a Superb 1.5 150bhp. Brilliant car and an amazing engine. Smooth, fadt, super refined and frugal. Yes your mileage is high but you are driving those miles so why not savour them, and the engine suits the car brilliantly. At low speeds it is so much more refined then my 5 series diesel. You won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

We have a Superb 1.5 150bhp. Brilliant car and an amazing engine. Smooth, fadt, super refined and frugal. Yes your mileage is high but you are driving those miles so why not savour them, and the engine suits the car brilliantly. At low speeds it is so much more refined then my 5 series diesel. You won't regret it.

What year out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

What year out of interest?

Low mileage 2016 SE DSG from UK as we could not find one here. I would strongly advise the DSG, suits the car brilliantly. €23 cleared.

Advertisement