Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

• 06-05-2018 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah, the smell of cut grass and the sound bees hovering it can only mean the domestic season is nearly over and the real business of player transfer speculation can begin :)

The world cup will as usual queer the pitch a bit, with some desperate to get business done before while the market gets distorted by some players having eye catching tournaments (but actually not being that good) and the pre-season starting only a few weeks later.

Liverpool are cash rich having a net spend (yes!) of about £6m since Klopp arrived, with CL riches and the Coutinho money burning a hole so it could be a very big summer without worrying the FFP boys.

According to the twitter machine at the moment Liverpool are interested in

Nabil Fekir
    Jorginho
    Ousame Dembele
    Pulisic
    Allison

But clearly not all, maybe any would be signed or that would be the most attacking side in history!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/993175668455362560?s=19

Here's the link to the Fekir story. Apparently RMC are very reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would be gutted if Liverpool got Fekir. He's one of my favourite players in Ligue 1. Club president has denied it and the player himself isn't giving anything away:

"I am still with Lyon. We still have two games left. I am good here. This club is in my heart"

It's also being reported in the French media that Atletico have got a deal lined up for Fabinho next season. PSG had been expected to move for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106968535&postcount=7624
    Jesus per Sky Wolves are considering £30m move for Rui Patricio and £33m for Andre Silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/City_Watch/status/994903011712471040

"Manchester City have made their first official contact with Napoli for Jorginho (26) but have been put off by the €60m asking price. A considerable distance remains between the two clubs over a fee." Di Marzio.

Imagine being out off by the price tag of €60m in this day and age - and City at that. Are they worried about FFP or something? ;)

• Advertisement

Imagine being out off by the price tag of €60m in this day and age - and City at that. Are they worried about FFP or something? ;)

Ah sure another 'sponsorship deal' will take care of that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

€60m would be a bargain price for Jorginho.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/995053469462605825

"A source close to Robert Lewandowski has told ESPN FC he is unhappy with his lack of game time at Bayern Munich"

If there's any truth in that there'll be a scramble to sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Doubt Real Madrid will be in that scramble after he flopped his audition. Funny how he complains about playing too much & then not enough.

I think Lewandowski needs to move to Italy. It feels like he has "gone over" and needs a slower paced game from here on.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/995054851305418752

"Liverpool fear Rhian Brewster may join teen exodus to Germany".

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on loan. Klopp and the transfer committee have gotten some great deals done to get guys guaranteed playing time for the likes of Grujic at Cardiff and Wilson at Hull.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

"A source close to Robert Lewandowski has told ESPN FC he is unhappy with his lack of game time at Bayern Munich"

That's horsesh1t. He's first choice striker and the only times he didn't play was when he was rested before the CL games. He wants out, but it's got nothing to do with game time.

If he goes for millions those headlines write themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Liverpool get Jorginho I think they'll challenge strongly for the title next year.

Dembele rumours are easy to write because he was with Dortmund. I don't think he'll be leaving Barcelona though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Liverpool get Jorginho I think they'll challenge strongly for the title next year.

Dembele rumours are easy to write because he was with Dortmund. I don't think he'll be leaving Barcelona though.

Not a chance they will challenge without signing a top class keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not a chance they will challenge without signing a top class keeper.

And a second VVD.

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/995083200224481282

"Chelsea will sell Morata to Juventus for €62 million."

A crap season and they'll pretty much get their money back..wow.

Its worth remembering the transfer window now opens in England on May 17th and closes on August 9th - a vote was taken and passed to end it before the opening game day of the new season. The window must be 12 weeks long hence the early start date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

He's a lot better than what he's shown at Chelsea and was successful at Juve before. Good move for both really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

He's a lot better than what he's shown at Chelsea and was successful at Juve before. Good move for both really.

He was never really first choice at Juve. A nothing player if you've ever seen one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Where will Can go? One of the best free transfers of recent years. Be interesting where he ends up.

Juventus prob most likely but couple of rumours on city forums he could be city bound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

POKERKING wrote: »
    Where will Can go? One of the best free transfers of recent years.

James Milner says hello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Where will Can go? One of the best free transfers of recent years.

James Milner says hello

Disagree milner was29/30 and taking a step down at the time. Liverpool had no competition for his signature. Dont get me wrong he was a great signing but i think Can all things considered is a potential better signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Disagree milner was29/30 and taking a step down at the time. Liverpool had no competition for his signature. Dont get me wrong he was a great signing but i think Can all things considered is a potential better signing.

From what I heard utd and one or two of the big London teams were in for milner at the time. Utd wasn't a runner for milner due to his Leeds and city connections.

If your a top side who wants top honours I don't think Can is consistent enough to be a starter unless he improves big time on that front. He'll do grand at a Bayern or Juve as they could legit play with 10 men & coast the league's as the teams behind them are insistent on messing up opportunities like Napoli or Dortmund.
    Only downside for Milner is that terrible "Millie" nickname Klopp gave him. Like a puppys name or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Its worth remembering the transfer window now opens in England on May 17th and closes on August 9th - a vote was taken and passed to end it before the opening game day of the new season. The window must be 12 weeks long hence the early start date.

Why does it have to be 12 weeks? Is it to give a fair time to conclude deals (that definitely don't start outside the windows)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Find that one very hard to believe. As someone else pointed out, wasn't first choice striker for Juve even before they signed Higuain. Scored some important goals but they had an option to buy from Real that they didn't take, hardly likely to sign him now after the season he had. Higuain is first choice so why spend 62m on a backup? Suspect Chelsea might be stuck with him as can't see too many suitors unless they drop their price to around 35-40m mark. Sevilla and the likes might show an interest then.

EDIT: It was Real who had the buy back clause, point still stands, they'd have bid for him if they wanted him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mushy wrote: »
    Why does it have to be 12 weeks? Is it to give a fair time to conclude deals (that definitely don't start outside the windows)?

Compromise between the EU and FIFA about a decade ago.
    FIFA and the associations would like it as short as possible, whilst EU workers rights rules mean it should be open 365 days. But the EU accepted that there were sporting integrity reasons to have it closed for large parts of the year so came up with the a 16 week compromise, 4 weeks during the season and the rest off season.

Worth pointing out that the Spanish/Italian etc leagues are still using the previous dates this year, so can still sign players from English clubs after the window has shut for English clubs to sign players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Re: Morata

All I can say is he looked good almost every time I seen him play for Juve or at least looked like a player improving. Italy lets be honest is a much slower paced league and that style would seem to suit him a lot more. Had he stayed there he'd be much better off at this stage of his career tbh.

He was a couple of years younger last time he was at Juve (around 22 I believe) so him not being a starter (although he did start around half the games still) isn't really that big of a problem I don't think.

As for Higuian, I'd imagine it's Mandzukic they are looking to replace. I do agree that the fee is a bit high though considering his less than stellar year with Chelsea. Still even during this very bad period and Chelsea being a bit of a mess overall at times he's remained a 1 in 3 striker for them which isn't terrible at all when you look at the whole picture. Disappointing for sure given what was expected but Chelsea have had a number of players turn in sub par performances this season.

Oh yeah and as for him leaving Juve, yes Real decided to use their buy back clause and then Juve were obviously priced out last summer when Man Utd and Chelsea came in. Real fans wanted him kept over Benzema and I could kinda see why (although Benzema does seem a better foil for Ronaldo). By all accounts Juve seem to have been very keen to get him back since he left and I think its the best move for him.

So yeah, overall I think he's better than people are giving him credit for and certainly not a "nothing player". Going back to Italy even if it's not Juve would be a smart move imo.

Edit: Just to make it clear, I'm not claiming he's the finished article, world class striker, going to turn Juve into Champions League winners. Just that I think there's more in him than he has been showing, this season especially.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/996148209021079554

Pochetino wants his wages doubled and £100 million transfer kitty on top of any money from player sales.

Sky sources: Chelsea want Pochetino as the replacement for Conte.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/996299194888540160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pochetino wants his wages doubled and £100 million transfer kitty on top of any money from player sales.

Surely he wouldn’t move to Chelsea, though it would be interesting to see how he gets on with more resources..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

astradave wrote: »
    Surely he wouldn’t move to Chelsea, though it would be interesting to see how he gets on with more resources..

See no reason he wouldnt move to Chelsea, I doubt his few seasons at Spurs would prevent a move to them.
    A bigger budget and a step up in expectations ,be vwey interested to see how he performed.
    Still thing his next destination will be Real.

100m isn't really a warchest anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Yeah I can see Poch moving from Spurs where he wont get money to spend to chelsea where he wont get money to spend

• Advertisement

Yeah I can see Poch moving from Spurs where he wont get money to spend to chelsea where he wont get money to spend

Conte got around 380m to spend in his time at Chelsea.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Conte got around 380m to spend in his time at Chelsea.

Not sure he was in charge of much of that spending. That's the risk Pochettino takes. He's likely a say in all transfers at Spurs but at Chelsea he won't get that.
    Big thing a with Chelsea is Hazard & Courtois seemed reluctant to sign new contracts even after winning a league. May not be a bad thing for them to gut that squad tbh.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not sure he was in charge of much of that spending. That's the risk Pochettino takes. He's likely a say in all transfers at Spurs but at Chelsea he won't get that.
    Big thing a with Chelsea is Hazard & Courtois seemed reluctant to sign new contracts even after winning a league. May not be a bad thing for them to gut that squad tbh.

Conte has signed 13 players while at Chelsea. Iirc the figure is around 380m.

He has spent over 200m in the last year alone.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Conte has signed 13 players while at Chelsea. Iirc the figure is around 380m.

He has spent over 200m in the last year alone.

What he’s trying to say is that they are signed irrespective of whether Conte wants them or not.. it’s not actually Conte signing the players but the DOF(I think) and Abromovich.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't see Poch leaving this year, but if he does, we can kiss any chance of keeping our top players. I suspect his departure would be swiftly followed by transfer requests by several of the team.

I think Levy will open the wallet though, and give him want he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Lets see if I have this right. A man who has ruled out Barcelona (is that arrogance?) because of his association with Espanyol and has said he would rather work on a farm than manage Arsenal (definitely not arrogance :D:D:D) is considering going to Chelsea. A team who made no bones about saying they hate Spurs and wanted nothing from a season that they finished a pathetic 10th other than to stop Spurs winning a title? A team that downs tools every second year and sacks the manager and where the manager appears to have no say in transfers? That would make good career sense alright.

This article is nothing other than the Sieg Mail adding a story about Pochettino having his end of year review with Levy to Chelsea needing yet another manager (shortly) and getting cheap click bait. The only thing slightly different about it is that Pochettino is doing something new to him but which is standard operating practice for all other managers, which is applying public pressure on his chairman for more resources.

Besides, he has a three year contract. Unless the Russian is prepared to pay the price of two Man City full backs, Pochettino will be working on a turnstile in WHL until 2021 before Levy would let him go to Stamford Bridge.

Great player but he has a medical condition that flares up in cold weather

https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/status/996431652258803712?s=21

astradave wrote: »
    Great player but he has a medical condition that flares up in cold weather

https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/status/996431652258803712?s=21

Iv heard that mentioned previously but how bad is the condition?Surely it makes England a non runner for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Something to do with ingrown toenails if I remember it right from what I read during the January transfer window.

Something to do with ingrown toenails if I remember it right from what I read during the January transfer window.

He has that and “A condition known as Chilblains are small, itchy swellings on the skin that occur as a reaction to cold temperatures. They most often affect the body’s extremities, such as the toes, fingers, heels, ears and nose”

He admitted to the ingrown toenails in an interview previously and said in that interview that he gets aches all over and need loads of treatment during the winter

Only a footnote but Yan Dhanda is off to Swansea to seems, another quite decent Liverpool youth product in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's looking like a bunch of Sporting Lisbon players are about to become available after their club has gone completely insane.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44132924

A bunch of fans broke into their training complex and assaulted a bunch of players. Leading scorer Bas Dost is out of the Portuguese cup final off the back of it.
    I've read a physio was stabbed as well.

Couple with the chairman being off his rocker, a bunch of the players and staff, maybe all of them, including Jorge Jesus their manager and Portuguese international keeper Rui Patricio, will probably unilaterally terminate their contracts and piss off elsewhere.

I haven't been following it that closely but it seems like they've gone totally off the deep end.

Yeah, some strange things have been happening at Sporting through this season, that they are 3rd in the league shows just how terrible it is!

"Das Bost" will be a handy pick up for a mid table side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's a very bizarre episode. Mystifying why they would attack Dost in particular since his record has been superb. He would be a useful summer signing for many clubs. Gelson Martins wouldn't be short of options either. And William Carvalho has been linked with the Premier League for a few years now if I'm not mistaken. Could be a bleak few months ahead for Sporting fans.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/996645879221190656

Lengelet reported to have agreed a 5 yr deal with Barca for a €35 million fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement