Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They were allready fined ,so suppose they could be looked into again.

Yea it's just a bit odd. Like the value of City is up nearly 5 times to what the takeover was for so you'd understand some increases in sponsorship deals now going forward, but back then some of the deals were crazy high.

There's no way any company would pay more to sponsor City than United based on company values and brand awareness if the deals were conducted correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yea it's just a bit odd. Like the value of City is up nearly 5 times to what the takeover was for so you'd understand some increases in sponsorship deals now going forward, but back then some of the deals were crazy high.

There's no way any company would pay more to sponsor City than United based on company values and brand awareness if the deals were conducted correctly.

I am not sure of the deals but the investment put in must have been worth it with the way City have established them self's and improved there brand awareness.

Are City being investigated,I don't think they are but I could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Didn't City have it's squad number reduced to 21 instead of 25 or something like that as a punishment and a 50m fine that was suspended for breaking FFP a couple of seasons ago.

Didn't City have it's squad number reduced to 21 instead of 25 or something like that as a punishment and a 50m fine that was suspended for breaking FFP a couple of seasons ago.

Yea they did I forget which year but they were punished.

Yea they did I forget which year but they were punished.

I think that was part of the reason the signed Delph, Rodwell & Roberts? the lad from Fulham (Whatever happened to those last two) to bolster the homegrown players when the squad numbers were cut.

• Advertisement

I think that was part of the reason the signed Delph, Rodwell & Roberts? the lad from Fulham (Whatever happened to those last two) to bolster the homegrown players when the squad numbers were cut.

Not sure about Roswell but Roberts is with Celtic and doing a good job there aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not sure about Roswell but Roberts is with Celtic and doing a good job there aswell.

Hes back with ye now the loan is up.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hes back with ye now the loan is up.

Yea looks like you are right,he's loan just finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yea looks like you are right,he's loan just finished.

Leicester should ask for him in the Mahrez deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

The club rising in value so much isn't really surprising, the owners have bought so many players and updated the stadium and training grounds around it, all seen as assets rising the value of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Why are we all talking about FPP like it's a thing?

Out of context but I don't think I'll try saying this in the Villa thread atm

Talk in there has swung from hope Grealish isn't looking to leave / people aren't looking to take him to would someone pay enough to get us out of playing all kids while not signing anyone next season because of FFP.

Terry is immediately being linked to Lampard at Derby, I can totally imagine him as a player coach there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

That was two years after the takeover and they paid 200m for the club so it's a bit mad that a sponsorship deal worth double the club could be a true value :confused:

in fairness it was over ten years but yeah at the time my reaction was "wtf?" It would be like spending €90M on a goalkeeper in 1999

Ramadan Sobhi left the Egypt squad to have a medical at Huddersfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/1003200731145560065

"Roma keeper Alisson reportedly decides to join RealMadrid, who are prepared to pay €60 million"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cheapskates. So where is Navas off to then if this is remotely true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rumours this morning of united going in for lorenzo pelligrini

Though if I'm not mistaken he is probably gonna go to Juventus and he had his age listed wrong in the article linking him :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Cheapskates. So where is Navas off to then if this is remotely true?

There's been links from Madrid to him for most of the season, I doubt Madrid care where navas is off to in that eventuality

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Alisson to Madrid.

Courtois to Atletico.

Butland to Chelsea.

Oblak to Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/1003200731145560065

"Roma keeper Alisson reportedly decides to join RealMadrid, who are prepared to pay €60 million"

And with that news the collective sigh of relief from Old Trafford all the plastic fans in the Etihad are blown away.

It's a joke before anyone gets offended :pac:

And with that news the collective sigh of relief from Old Trafford all the plastic fans in the Etihad are blown away.

It's a joke before anyone gets offended :pac:

Wouldn't take much to blow them away in fairness. ;):)

• Advertisement

SeanHarty wrote: »
    The club rising in value so much isn't really surprising, the owners have bought so many players and updated the stadium and training grounds around it, all seen as assets rising the value of the club.

That's pretty much it. City's value was like sticking a briefcase carrying €100,000 in a 2006 Renault Clio, taking its overall value up to €100,750.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Fred due to have a medical today at United. BBC & Sky reporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Thought City had Fred sewn up since he January window??? Was there a falling out??

https://twitter.com/diarioas/status/1003559930450907136

AS:
    Griezmann has decided to stay at Atletico.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

AS:

Thats's big news, delighted for Atletico if it's true. Will Barca look at another striker?

• Lucas Hood wrote: »

Super signing if Utd get it over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I've no idea 9f he's a good or bad signing. Know so little about him. I think I know his type/style, but I've no idea how he'll adapt to the league, or to the united 'midfield'.

• I've no idea 9f he's a good or bad signing. Know so little about him. I think I know his type/style, but I've no idea how he'll adapt to the league, or to the united 'midfield'.

Two footed, good passer and can also do a box-to-box role

What's not to like

Two footed, good passer and can also do a box-to-box role

What's not to like
    Could make a similar description of Herrera.

Obvious question marks over how a player will adapt to the league. Is the Ukrainian league compatible to the PL to make it not a worry?

Then obvious questions over how united utilise players.

• Advertisement

Could make a similar description of Herrera.

Obvious question marks over how a player will adapt to the league. Is the Ukrainian league compatible to the PL to make it not a worry?

William and Mikityran were at Shaktar. They have a good eye for a player there.

William and Mikityran were at Shaktar. They have a good eye for a player there.

Miki came via dortmund as well. Willian, yeah, but he could be an outlier.

I suppose my line here isn't really about Fred, it's caution that could be applied to all signings, no matter where fro..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Masala wrote: »
    Thought City had Fred sewn up since he January window??? Was there a falling out??
    Wild guess here, finances (fee and/or personal terms) maybe? We've shown with Sanchez that we won't be held to ransom by a player or his agent. Very good player, but he'll need to clean up his act. A very ropey disciplinary record.

• Could make a similar description of Herrera.

His CL / Europa League performances were noteworthy. Suspect this is why Utd are signing him.

Utd will line up with Matic, Fred & Pogba in a mid 3.

I suppose my line here isn't really about Fred, it's caution that could be applied to all signings, no matter where fro..

Fernandinho has done quite well tbh

AS:

If I had a euro for every times Greizmann fluttered his eyelashes at another club I'd have enough for a sandwich. Is he scared to try for the biggest stage or is he just a tease who uses tactics to get a pay rise as a big fish in a smaller pond?

• Advertisement

They also had Texiera who was a very good player but he decided on China for a massive payday.

Shaktar always seem to have a few Brazilian in the squad.

They still have Bernard, the Brazilian membership is 7 once Fred goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

They still have Bernard, the Brazilian membership is 7 once Fred goes.

That's a blast from the past, has he kicked o there? He was supposed to be the big Brazilian thing a couple of years ago

In the league started 19 games and scored 6 goals so not too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You watch the Ukrainian league?

He does seem a decent player. Shaktar must be delighted with the fee as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

MD1990 wrote: »
    You watch the Ukrainian league?

He does seem a decent player. Shaktar must be delighted with the fee as well.

Of all the "______ | WELCOME TO ______ | SKILLS, GOALS, ASSISTS | INSANE TALENT 2017/2018 | DESPACITO REMIX" videos I've seen, Fred has got to be one of if not the greatest midfielder on the planet.

All jokes aside, looks a good player although you'd wonder how suited to United he'll be and if he'll be able to show his worth there given the track record of some recent big money transfers. City seemed to cool their interest overnight which is strange as he'd slot in there very easily and I'm not sure Jorginho is a better fit than Fred to replace Fernandinho.

Of all the "______ | WELCOME TO ______ | SKILLS, GOALS, ASSISTS | INSANE TALENT 2017/2018 | DESPACITO REMIX" videos I've seen, Fred has got to be one of if not the greatest midfielder on the planet.

All jokes aside, looks a good player although you'd wonder how suited to United he'll be and if he'll be able to show his worth there given the track record of some recent big money transfers. City seemed to cool their interest overnight which is strange as he'd slot in there very easily and I'm not sure Jorginho is a better fit than Fred to replace Fernandinho.

are they looking to replace Fernandinho (which would require a similar skill set, possibly) or to add a different option for the same position while also keeping Fernandinho, which would make a different type of player a sensible purchase.

I wonder if City wanted a CM in january with Jorginho first choice and Fred second - and with Napoli going for the league they wouldn't sell, so Fred became the target then, and when they couldn't get him (due to CL progression, apparently) they swapped back to Jorginho as the summer target.

As an aside - I watched a YT vid of Fred - to see what he was like. So a bunch ofc nice plays, but so many of his 'awesome' passes left me open-mouthed at the shocking defending - so I'm still not sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not convinced by Jorginho.
    Often see him getting destroyed on the counter. Very very slow.

From the little I saw of Fred in the CL he looks a better player. Excellent on the ball & quick.

Think Liverpool & Man Utd are both getting better midfielders than City .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

are they looking to replace Fernandinho (which would require a similar skill set, possibly) or to add a different option for the same position while also keeping Fernandinho, which would make a different type of player a sensible purchase.

I wonder if City wanted a CM in january with Jorginho first choice and Fred second - and with Napoli going for the league they wouldn't sell, so Fred became the target then, and when they couldn't get him (due to CL progression, apparently) they swapped back to Jorginho as the summer target.

As an aside - I watched a YT vid of Fred - to see what he was like. So a bunch ofc nice plays, but so many of his 'awesome' passes left me open-mouthed at the shocking defending - so I'm still not sure!

Who knows Mitch but you'd assume a like for like as Fernandinho is getting on in years and why fix something if it isn't broke? When Fernandinho is missing City look noticeably more open down the centre and Fernandinho does a great job of filling in a hole in defence when required as well as being able to spray ball. His conversion from attacking minded box to box player when he arrived to fully fledged defensive mid is really quite something.

Jorginho is class and he's a hard worker but he's not as mobile as Fernandinho and he doesn't look to have that defensive bottle either. Fred aside from height is more like Fernandinho with regards to his athleticism and tigerish tracking as well as being able to play ball. Then again look what Pep got out of Busquets and Jorginho would look to be more like that type of player.

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/1003605175377055744

#Arsenal expected to pursue a deal for #Sevilla midfielder Steven N'Zonzi, contract contains €40m release clause https://www.football-espana.net/71931/arsenal-pursue-nzonzi-deal-reports

Samuel Umtiti, defender of FC Barcelona:

�� "If Griezmann wants to come, it will be fantastic"

https://twitter.com/lequipe/status/1003610536808992768

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Barca's annual tapping up begins. Wonder how long it is before we find out Barca is his ancestral home.

Ye as soon as reports appear that he might stay.

Barca players speak up in the press.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/PatrickJuillard/status/1003610092359569409

Arsenal being linked with a move for free agent Fellaini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Know very little about fred but has had a good few big teams looking at him.

That being said never judge a player from YouTube Google quresma and you'd swear he was the best player that ever lived.

He'll get massive hype around here now though that he's going to united.

• Advertisement
Advertisement