Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If I had a euro for every times Greizmann fluttered his eyelashes at another club I'd have enough for a sandwich. Is he scared to try for the biggest stage or is he just a tease who uses tactics to get a pay rise as a big fish in a smaller pond?

Maybe it's a case of him being happy where he is and/or wanting to win everything with a less fashionable club?

He has a Europa league title now, been in an ECL final already too. Atletico have been keeping pace with the biggest clubs for a couple of years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SeanHarty wrote: »

He'll get massive hype around here now though that he's going to united.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Looks like the Fellaini to Arsenal rumours could be true

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/1003631373540831244

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What is it with Arsenal and Man Utd? It's like BDSM for football transfers and I know which team is the submissive partner! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

People bitch am doing moan about Fellaini cause he's a big, rough lad who is the personification of Moyes Reign.

But he gives 110%, and will die for a manager of asked to. Now, mind, if Arsenal are promising g him first team football, they will suffer a bit. But he will try his heart out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

God I don't want him anywhere near us

Lord TSC wrote: »
    People bitch am doing moan about Fellaini cause he's a big, rough lad who is the personification of Moyes Reign.

But he gives 110%, and will die for a manager of asked to. Now, mind, if Arsenal are promising g him first team football, they will suffer a bit. But he will try his heart out.

and he has a "good touch for a big man"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Daily Mail:

Bayern monitor Jordan Pickford as doubts grow over Neuer's fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Think emery will do a fine job on arsenal. If n'zonzi who i like and fellaini joined. Theyd have a serious presence in midfield and woild make them a more formidable team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What is it with Arsenal and Man Utd? It's like BDSM for football transfers and I know which team is the submissive partner!

Well the first one of note in recent years was RVP so United did well. Danny Wellbeck hasn't done well at Arsenal but imo they got much the better of the recent deal as Sanchez has not done well at United while Mkhitaryan has looked very good at Arsenal imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well the first one of note in recent years was RVP so United did well. Danny Wellbeck hasn't done well at Arsenal but imo they got much the better of the recent deal as Sanchez has not done well at United while Mkhitaryan has looked very good at Arsenal imo.

So miki with 2 goals and 3 assists in 11 games has had a noticeably better influence than Sanchez with 2 goals and 5 assists in 12 games?

I think they've both been poor so far, and expect better from both next season but think it's a bit premature to think Arsenal got the better end of the deal just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Iago wrote: »
    So miki with 2 goals and 3 assists in 11 games has had a noticeably better influence than Sanchez with 2 goals and 5 assists in 12 games?

I think they've both been poor so far, and expect better from both next season but think it's a bit premature to think Arsenal got the better end of the deal just yet.

I'd agree with that assessment, both players haven't set the world alight and both need to do big things next season.

Fellaini is a very good player in certain situations, he would be a loss to the United squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Yaya destroying his legacy;

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1003665276569780224?s=19

And playing the race card, I see. Hmm. I won't bother listing the black/coloured players that were regulars in the side last season. We're also chasing Mahrez (Tunisian). Maybe he wasn't being picked because he didn't have the legs any more for Pep's high intensity, high pressing game. He's making a fool of himself. I wonder if Seluk's grubby fingerprints are all over this?

blueser wrote: »

And playing the race card, I see. Hmm. I won't bother listing the black/coloured players that were regulars in the side last season. We're also chasing Mahrez (Tunisian). Maybe he wasn't being picked because he didn't have the legs any more for Pep's high intensity, high pressing game. He's making a fool of himself. I wonder if Seluk's grubby fingerprints are all over this?

In such matters, which are so frequently ignored or swept away in football, I think taking a default position of Yaya being a liar is a poor choice.

I'd wait til I've read what he has to say, how he backs up his comments, before decrying him.

Football has a huge race problem - this could be an important player speaking out or publicising the lies he tells himself to protect his ego. I think people should hold off before deciding either side is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So according to that Madrid have admitted to tapping up Mane without Liverpool's permission to talk to him during the season.

So according to that Madrid have admitted to tapping up Mane without Liverpool's permission to talk to him during the season.

Can't see Liverpool breaking up that front 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I do think that yaya was frozen out unfairly imo. Without him i think ye're trophy cabinet would be a lot emptier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

blueser wrote:

Sick of white players like Sterling, Sane & Jesus getting game time ahead of Yaya who honestly was a (slow) walking zombie the last few seasons.

• Advertisement

Well if the reports are true yeah.. but can’t see it being proven

astradave wrote: »
    Well if the reports are true yeah.. but can’t see it being proven

Also I don't think it would matter. I dint think there are any punishments for tapping up players of clubs in other countries, don't think Uefa get involved.

Liverpool should sue their merry arses to the value of any midfielder of our choosing!

ERG89 wrote: »
    Sick of white players like Sterling, Sane & Jesus getting game time ahead of Yaya who honestly was a (slow) walking zombie the last few seasons.
    And Vinnie. And Dinho. And Kyle. And Mendy (when fit). And Fabian. Yaya's just coming across as a t1t. What about Eric Abidal and Seydou Keita at Barca? Neither of them were exactly poster boys for the KKK!

I do think that yaya was frozen out unfairly imo. Without him i think ye're trophy cabinet would be a lot emptier
    His legs were gone three seasons ago. Agree with you re. his contribution to our successes. That will not be forgotten, although this outburst does him no favours. But you can't keep a fella in the side on past reputation. There is no way he'd be able to play the high intensity, high press game that Pep demands. Same with Zabba; he was my favourite City player in this past decade. But he was shot. And her knew it. There were no complaints from him when we moved him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

And Vinnie. And Dinho. And Kyle. And Mendy (when fit). And Fabian. Yaya's just coming across as a t1t. What about Eric Abidal and Seydou Keita at Barca? Neither of them were exactly poster boys for the KKK!

Etoo and Henry. Plus didn't pep sign yaya for barca aswell.

Also I don't think it would matter. I dint think there are any punishments for tapping up players of clubs in other countries, don't think Uefa get involved.

Actually think it’s only for the underage, basically giving payments to family and that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Know very little about fred but has had a good few big teams looking at him.

That being said never judge a player from YouTube Google quresma and you'd swear he was the best player that ever lived.

He'll get massive hype around here now though that he's going to united.

Reminds me of last season when Keita was considered miles better than Pogba because Liverpool had signed him :pac:
    Like you mentioned most people havent seen either play before signing/links to there clubs

Liverpool should sue their merry arses to the value of any midfielder of our choosing!

Is there any previous example of this happening, i cant think of a single one
    Remember your last star who got seduced, how much did Liverpool sue for then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's only a punishable offence if the approach is made to another player in the same league without that club's permission. I.E Chelsea and Ashley Cole

It doesn't extend beyond that, although it should. Even than, it's easily bypassed, agents will discuss transfers on their players behalf without consent all the time. It's how worms like Raiola make a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think if recent history has taught us anything its to hold our fire until we know a little more.

I would say though that Pep and Yaya have a lot of history, bad blood going back to Barcelona. Also, the distinction I believe Yaya made was African players, not black players.

I'd agree on the face of it, simply looks like bitterness from Yaya, but you do have to wonder about his motivations. I'll wait to hear what he has to say before completely calling it nonsense.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Sue them for what?

No rules breached if my interpretation of them is correct. I assume it is at this point cause we for sure have one of these things a year!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1003747697017479171

"Wolverhampton offered €40M to Valencia for Joao #Cancelo! Jorge Mendes is working on this deal, always Inter and other clubs interested in him 🇵🇹 #transfers #wolves"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mendes and his buddies at Wolves will have a few fingers in a many pies this summer, especially with the PL money coming to them.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1003984845637345284

Arsenal announce the signing of Stephan Lichtsteiner (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1003984845637345284

Arsenal announce the signing of Stephan Lichtsteiner (

A bit of an odd signing?
    Back up for Bellerin ?

Experience .....em...... experience.

That's all I have, very odd know the face of it but maybe part of an overall change of system?

Can do a job in midfield too if needed but really at his age and coming to England first time, I dunno it's a puzzler

Strikes me Arsenal need some depth and experience, and don't have a huge transfer budget. Probably a case of the new manager wanting a low budget but professional signing. I can't imagine he'll start more than the few cup games, but they probably need someone to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Bellerin couldn't be counted on all last season. It's excellent backup option who will push for a starting place IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Strikes me Arsenal need some depth and experience, and don't have a huge transfer budget. Probably a case of the new manager wanting a low budget but professional signing. I can't imagine he'll start more than the few cup games, but they probably need someone to do that.

I'd imagine he'll see a good bit of time from the bench too but, otherwise, I'd say you're right. Watch his impact against Spurs in the CL last season. More than capable of contributing in small doses.

If Arsenal's reported budget of 50m is accurate then they'll need to be very smart with their signings. Lichsteiner and Sokratis for under 20m is a very good start tbf. Lots more needed but you can't replace an entire team in one window, you need to supplement what is there and draw out improved performances. Competition at right back and in the centre will probably force better from Bellerin and Mustafi, for e.g., though the links to Fellaini should be filed under baffling for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

£50m is all they have? How? Even without champions league football, they should have alot more.

Arsenal have loads of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sue them where...? And for what...? :confused:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2018/Jun/manchester-united-announce-agreement-for-Fred-of-Shakhtar-Donetsk.aspx

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached agreement with Shakhtar Donetsk for the transfer of Frederico Rodrigues de Paula Santos (Fred).

A further announcement will be made in due course.

Craig Norwood said that Dalot is following soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

rob316 wrote: »
    £50m is all they have? How? Even without champions league football, they should have alot more.

Quite a few newspaper reports claiming over the last few months that it's all that's left to spend this summer after bringing in Aubameyang in January and the big spend last few summers on Xhaka, Mustafi, Lacazette etc, as well as big new contracts for Ozil, etc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/23/new-arsenal-manager-restricted-50m-summer-transfer-budget/

That's the first that came up when I searched it but I can remember quite a bit of discussion on it a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wolves ready to Afobe for £12m 4 days after signing him for £10m
    Stoke City are keen to sign striker Benik Afobe from Wolves - only four days after the Championship winners signed him from Bournemouth.

Afobe, 25, rejoined Wolves on loan in January from the Cherries and scored six goals in 16 appearances as they won promotion to the Premier League.

Wolves triggered a clause in the deal to sign the Democratic Republic of Congo international for £10m on Friday.

However, it is anticipated a move to Stoke will be completed for £12m.

The Democratic Republic of Congo international scored 22 goals in 46 league matches in his first spell with Wolves before moving to Bournemouth for £10m in 2016.

Former Arsenal forward Afobe scored 11 goals in 70 appearances at Bournemouth before joining for a second spell at Molineux earlier this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44373294

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

rob316 wrote: »

Arsenal have a lot more than £50m to spend. Sure the majority of the premier league could probably spend more. If there is an expensive player that Arsenal want this summer, then they would have no problem being able to fund it.

Quite a few newspaper reports claiming over the last few months that it's all that's left to spend this summer after bringing in Aubameyang in January and the big spend last few summers on Xhaka, Mustafi, Lacazette etc, as well as big new contracts for Ozil, etc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/23/new-arsenal-manager-restricted-50m-summer-transfer-budget/

That's the first that came up when I searched it but I can remember quite a bit of discussion on it a few months ago.

I call bull****
    Wolverhampton will spend more than 50 million
    Its like these papers still live in 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wolves been linked to Guedes also.
    Brillant for Valencia last season.

He would be an excellent signing for much bigger clubs. Would be a big signing if they managed to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Arsenal's Budget explained , in other words its not as simple as 50 million straight up

https://shewore.com/2018/05/19/arsenals-50m-budget-explained/

• Advertisement
Advertisement