Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arsene was working miracles at Arsenal then if that was the kind of transfer budget restrictions he had to work under.

You would have to wonder where all the money Arsenal are making is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Makes sense to me,probably another reason why Wegner left a season early,what could you do with 50 million.Is Carzolo still taking cash off them aswell.Saying that, they have some talented players Ozil,Monreal,Mhkitryan,Auybuameyang,Lacazette. They badly need a keeper and if they have 30 million left after those 2 players then they will have to get lucky or there scouting team does an unbelievable job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Makes sense to me,probably another reason why Wegner left a season early,what could you do with 50 million.Is Carzolo still taking cash off them aswell.Saying that, they have some talented players Ozil,Monreal,Mhkitryan,Auybuameyang,Lacazette. They badly need a keeper and if they have 30 million left after those 2 players then they will have to get lucky or there scouting team does an unbelievable job.

Carzola released at the end of the season, pity as he seemed to be the one making them tick over when he was fit but been a couple of years since he managed a few games.

Agree with you about the keeper but i wouldn't write Cech off yet, with a decent bit of structure in front of him he might be ok for another season

duffman13 wrote: »
    Carzola released at the end of the season, pity as he seemed to be the one making them tick over when he was fit but been a couple of years since he managed a few games.

Agree with you about the keeper but i wouldn't write Cech off yet, with a decent bit of structure in front of him he might be ok for another season

Caz hasnt played for 2 seasons tho,paying to let him sit at home is a joke.He was a great player and liked watching him.I think your wrong with Cech ,hes well past it now and a backup keeper at best.I liked Ospina but he isnt much better.Be interesting to see what signings they end up with and could surprise us.No Europe to worry about,I dont think they will win it by any means but might sneak top 4.Auybaumeyang is doing well there and hes old partnership with Mhki could be back to its best.
    They have some great players if they can get the best out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Wenger left a season early because he was pushed, he didn’t walk. If they let him stay he would still be there. It had nothing to do with a transfer budget.

Wenger left a season early because he was pushed, he didn’t walk. If they let him stay he would still be there. It had nothing to do with a transfer budget.

Could he not have stuck his heels in if he wanted.He was contracted for another season.I just thinking maybe he seen the budget and wasn't interested and Arsenal wanted him gone so was bit of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Could he not have stuck his heels in if he wanted.He was contracted for another season.I just thinking maybe he seen the budget and wasn't interested and Arsenal wanted him gone so was bit of both.

Ah I reckon it was more the gave him an option to either resign on his terms or they would sack him. Better for himself to be seen to have left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Arsene was working miracles at Arsenal then if that was the kind of transfer budget restrictions he had to work under.

You would have to wonder where all the money Arsenal are making is going.

Isn't it obvious? Making people rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Arsenal are being badly managed.

Lots of older players on huge wages like Ozil,Aubameyang,Mkhitaryan,Koscielny,Cech. Lacazette is a good striker too but now has to play on the wing unless they go 2 up top.
    They have weak players in the squad like Iowbi & Welbeck too who have both gone backwards. They will struggle again next season unless they make some very smart signings as they have less money available.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Arsenal are being badly managed.

Lots of older players on huge wages like Ozil,Aubameyang,Mkhitaryan,Koscielny,Cech. Lacazette is a good striker too but now has to play on the wing unless they go 2 up top.
    They have weak players in the squad like Iowbi & Welbeck too who have both gone backwards. They will struggle again next season unless they make some very smart signings as they have less money available.
    Ozil,Aubameyang,Mkhitaryan all under 30, no reason why they wont step it up next season.I think they will do better this season,manager bounce,players hungry to impress.There can be very good players to get results.

Clearly tho in a next few seasons they will have to tear that team apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It could be bringing an experienced title winner into the fold. He might be a great locker room presence too.

I've a feeling it's something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

eagle eye wrote: »
    It could be bringing an experienced title winner into the fold. He might be a great locker room presence too.

I've a feeling it's something like that.

Lichtsteiner is a complete bast@rd too which is something they probably need for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That toure stuff is laughable. What a way to leave a club. Its very obvious why he didn't play much the past two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That toure stuff is laughable. What a way to leave a club. Its very obvious why he didn't play much the past two seasons.

Because he's black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Because he's black?

Because his legs are gone and his work rate doesn't fit in with Pep's pressing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you could transplant sol Campbell's brain into toures body you'd have the world's greatest player/manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Bellerin seriously regressed last season so it could hive him a kick in the backside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/BrazilStat/status/1004292465954828288

GLOBOESPORTE:#Alisson will most probably be at Real Madrid or at Liverpool next season. He prefers the two clubs over Chelsea. Both clubs are still hopeful that AS Roma will in the end deal with reality and accept a deal at €50M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/BrazilStat/status/1004292465954828288

GLOBOESPORTE:#Alisson will most probably be at Real Madrid or at Liverpool next season. He prefers the two clubs over Chelsea. Both clubs are still hopeful that AS Roma will in the end deal with reality and accept a deal at €50M.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/roma-alisson-between-real-madrid-and-chelsea-his-future-is-linked-with-courtois

And Di Marzio says it's between Chelsea and Madrid.

These guys haven't a clue :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/roma-alisson-between-real-madrid-and-chelsea-his-future-is-linked-with-courtois

And Di Marzio says it's between Chelsea and Madrid.

These guys haven't a clue :pac:

Don't forget we're currently bargaining them down from 100m to 50m too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

AS: Salah's representives offer the Egyptian to Barcelona

If Griezmann stays, I guess Barca have €100m to spend...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wolves been linked to Guedes also.
    Brillant for Valencia last season.

He would be an excellent signing for much bigger clubs. Would be a big signing if they managed to get him.

Wolves are going to be the team to watch next season especially with players like Neves, and Guedes/Cancellao if they sign.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    AS: Salah's representives offer the Egyptian to Barcelona

If Griezmann stays, I guess Barca have €100m to spend...

Might get Salah right leg for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Might get Salah right leg for that.

What do you think is a realistic selling price for him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

yabadabado wrote: »

44 goals x 5 years = 220 million :)

• Advertisement

They won't sell him this season.

It'd have to be over £200m for Liverpool to blink. Got €140m for Couthino so it'd have to be well above that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Someone who scored on a par with Messi and Ronaldo but is 5 and 7 years their junior respectively and signed to a long term contract..nothing less than a world record fee would be realistic

It'd have to be over £200m for Liverpool to blink. Got €140m for Couthino so it'd have to be well above that.

Not a hope being sold,I dont think he would leave either.The team is set up for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

250m is about all I could think would tempt the club. Even then I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Someone who scored on a par with Messi and Ronaldo but is 5 and 7 years their junior respectively and signed to a long term contract..nothing less than a world record fee would be realistic

The difference is they've done it over consecutive seasons for years. Salah has done it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The difference is they've done it over consecutive seasons for years. Salah has done it once.

They won't do it over the next 5-6 years though,that's the bargain chip, he might.

They won't do it over the next 5-6 years though,that's the bargain chip, he might.

That's not a bargaining chip that's a gamble. He's had a monstrous season but he's nowhere near the price tag of Messi/Ronaldo.

That's not a bargaining chip that's a gamble. He's had a monstrous season but he's nowhere near the price tag of Messi/Ronaldo.

Of course it's a gamble,who can predict injuries or form? If rather pool kept him for 5-6 seasons rather than sell regardless.

If he did it again for 5-6 seasons it's us that benefit not Madrid/Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1004359913575985152

Jonny Evans joining Leicester. £3.5 million in 2 installments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1004359913575985152

Jonny Evans joining Leicester. £3.5 million in 2 installments.

The next step in replacing the title winners by the looks of it. 20m spent on a Portuguese right back to replace Simpson already and now it'll surely be Maguire and Evans in the centre with Morgan and Huth benched or sold. Mahrez will surely leave this summer too. Will be interesting to see if Albrighton keeps his spot too, and Drinkwater and Kante are already gone of course. Fuchs seems out of the loop too... Just Schmeichel and Vardy left in the starting 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I reckon Drinkwater might go back to Leicester myself, he's a good fit for their system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Lukker- wrote: »
    I reckon Drinkwater might go back to Leicester myself, he's a good fit for their system

You might be right. Never seemed the right move for Chelsea but they have a long history of signing English players to meet a quota and not using them. See also; Sidwell, Barkley, etc.

Only thing that could go against Drinkwater is that he cost Chelsea about 30m I think. I doubt they'd want too big a drop on that after just a year so it might price out some teams who might be interested.

He'd make sense for pretty much any side from 7th down but it's hard to see, say, Burnley, Bournemouth or Newcastle agreeing to a big fee. If he's available on loan, he will be in huge demand, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The next step in replacing the title winners by the looks of it. 20m spent on a Portuguese right back to replace Simpson already and now it'll surely be Maguire and Evans in the centre with Morgan and Huth benched or sold. Mahrez will surely leave this summer too. Will be interesting to see if Albrighton keeps his spot too, and Drinkwater and Kante are already gone of course. Fuchs seems out of the loop too... Just Schmeichel and Vardy left in the starting 11?

Huth has left

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

You might be right. Never seemed the right move for Chelsea but they have a long history of signing English players to meet a quota and not using them. See also; Sidwell, Barkley, etc.

Only thing that could go against Drinkwater is that he cost Chelsea about 30m I think. I doubt they'd want too big a drop on that after just a year so it might price out some teams who might be interested.

He'd make sense for pretty much any side from 7th down but it's hard to see, say, Burnley, Bournemouth or Newcastle agreeing to a big fee. If he's available on loan, he will be in huge demand, though.

Yeah out of the price range of many, but Leicester would be able to pay, and apparently West Ham were willing to pay £30m for him too.

He's a good well rounded CM, he was never going to be the answer to Chelsea's problems though.

Of course it's a gamble,who can predict injuries or form? If rather pool kept him for 5-6 seasons rather than sell regardless.

If anybody is offering odds on Salah having an equally monstrous season next year at Liverpool I'll gladly back against. I hope he does have another great season but I don't think it will be at that level again. A freak year based on previous seasons as more examples

• Advertisement

If anybody is offering odds on Salah having an equally monstrous season next year at Liverpool I'll gladly back against. I hope he does have another great season but I don't think it will be at that level again. A freak year based on previous seasons as more examples

If someone offered 200 mil for Salah Liverpool should accpect it.There is no way he's in Messi or Ronaldo league. I also don't think Salah won't have a season no where near as good as this next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If someone offered 200 mil for Salah Liverpool should accpect it.There is no way he's in Messi or Ronaldo league. I also don't think Salah won't have a season no where near as good as this next season.

Who will they get to replace 40 odd goals though? He's probably a cert to manage 30 goals next season, that's hard to replace.

Why should pool accept it? Why not keep him,great player. Unless he forces a move keep him I say,what good is money in the bank if you weaken your team ?

rob316 wrote: »
    Who will they get to replace 40 odd goals though? He's probably a cert to manage 30 goals next season, that's hard to replace.

Remains to be seen if he can replicate that goal returm.I leaning towards he won't go that high ever again and will drop a good few goals this season .

Remains to be seen if he can replicate that goal returm.I leaning towards he won't go that high ever again and will drop a good few goals this season .

Based on? Hope maybe ? Maybe he scores more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mbappe had one season and his value ballooned to €180 million. The market inflates considerably year on year so he would be worth now if that deal was being signed this summer.

Messi and Ronaldo are now in their thirties. It's highly unlikely Ronaldo is still playing at the top level in European football five years from now. If they were 25 year's old today and under long term contract how much would they be worth..300-400 million?

Anyone attempting to sign salah will have to offer a world record fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Very few players have managed to score 40+ goals a season for more than 2 or 3 years.

Outside of Messi and CR7, Lewandowski is the only one I can think of thats managed it for the last 3 or so years.

Its more of an exception than the norm but the way Salah is playing and the Pool setup, I wouldnt bet against him getting at least 30 goals next year and not being far off 40 by the time the season ends.

I'd add Kane into the above too, I think he finished with more than 40 goals this year but the way hes going, he will be there or there abouts next year for 40 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

https://twitter.com/AHunterGuardian/status/1004392536025288704?s=19

Think he's just a level below the top 6 myself. Good price all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AHunterGuardian/status/1004392536025288704?s=19

Think he's just a level below the top 6 myself. Good price all the same.

No point just buying a player because he is a decent price.

Would be surprised if Shaqiri was signed. Decent enough player but not suited to Liverpool. Too lazy.

Advertisement