Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Based on? Hope maybe ? Maybe he scores more

Based on he's only ever done it once ,he has MASSIVELY over scored this season and never expected to get even close to what he has. Your the one basing it on hope he scores more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If someone offered 200 mil for Salah Liverpool should accpect it.There is no way he's in Messi or Ronaldo league. I also don't think Salah won't have a season no where near as good as this next season.

Ok. I'll tell Liverpool you said that... Good job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Definitely not a Klopp player and has never really impressed me at stoke. Scores the very odd brilliant goal but thats it. Still only 26 though so maybe room for improvement.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Ok. I'll tell Liverpool you said that... Good job

Ya you go do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thunder-thighs is a one in six game player. Hard to imagine he'll be signed - with this and Moses Simon linked yesterday (KAA Gent in case anyone was wondering) it feels like the media are being given the Mike Read while the real business goes on on the QT.

• Advertisement

Thunder-thighs is a one in six game player. Hard to imagine he'll be signed - with this and Moses Simon linked yesterday (KAA Genk in case anyone was wondering) it feels like the media are being given the Mike Read while the real business goes on on the QT.

To be fair though, its going to be next to impossible to do better than MSF, our current back ups are Solanke and a crocked Ings, Shaqiri is an improvement.

It's usually this line "Defenders will figure them out next season, they won't have it so easy". Same line trotted out for Salah, Torres, Suarez etc.

They can't be just outstanding players, its the defenders are naive :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

rob316 wrote: »
    To be fair though, its going to be next to impossible to do better than MSF, our current back ups are Solanke and a crocked Ings, Shaqiri is an improvement.

It is tricky for the next player in line, but Dembele was being linked only a few weeks back! Seems one hell of a weird drop off and the names themselves a bit random. I'd sooner see Harry Wilson given every chance than spend 10-15 on a known very average player and spend the real money elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It's usually this line "Defenders will figure them out next season, they won't have it so easy". Same line trotted out for Salah, Torres, Suarez etc.

They can't be just outstanding players, its the defenders are naive :rolleyes:

Torres was a prolific goalscorer before signing for Liverpool. Suarez was known for his goals also.

You seem to think that people are doubting Salah because it's Liverpool. They're not. It's because it's his first time doing it. The same was said about Kane when he had his first great season.

Somebody referred to Mbappes price tag also, which I felt was massively overpriced.

Torres was a prolific goalscorer before signing for Liverpool. Suarez was known for his goals also.

You seem to think that people are doubting Salah because it's Liverpool. They're not. It's because it's his first time doing it. The same was said about Kane when he had his first great season.

Somebody referred to Mbappes price tag also, which I felt was massively overpriced.

Not just Liverpool, Kane is another as you pointed out.

40 goal seasons aren't flukes, they are special players.

• Advertisement

It is tricky for the next player in line, but Dembele was being linked only a few weeks back! Seems one hell of a weird drop off and the names themselves a bit random. I'd sooner see Harry Wilson given every chance than spend 10-15 on a known very average player and spend the real money elsewhere.

Dembele would be great and I agree we need a quality 4th option to rotate with the front 3 like when we had Coutinho, bench looked very strong then. But its going to be hard to sign a player like Dembele for 100m and tell him he's not first choice. Barca can do it, we can't.

Not just Liverpool, Kane is another as you pointed out.

40 goal seasons aren't flukes, they are special players.

1 season doesn't make a special player is my point. Especially when his previous seasons haven't been near that calibre. He has the potential to be special and hope he fulfils it as he's great to watch.

What's Liverpool fans expectancy of how many league goals he scores next season 25? 20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Based on he's only ever done it once ,he has MASSIVELY over scored this season and never expected to get even close to what he has. Your the one basing it on hope he scores more

Players usually peak after the age of 24
    Salah scored 15 in 42 games at 23, 19 in 41 games at 24 and 44 in 52 games at 25 so there has been clear progression by season

Ronaldos best seasons were between the age of 26 and 30. He had only scored 20 league goals in a season once when he signed with Madrid.

That's why I said at the time Coutinho will end up being a bargain for Barcelona because he is progressively getting better each year so he will be out of this world good at 27-29. Gerrard was a decent player first few years but he became heart and soul of the team between 25-30.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Players usually peak after the age of 24
    Salah scored 15 in 42 games at 23, 19 in 41 games at 24 and 44 in 52 games at 25 so there has been clear progression by season

Ronaldos best seasons were between the age of 26 and 30. He had only scored 20 league goals in a season once when he signed with Madrid.

That's why I said at the time Coutinho will end up being a bargain for Barcelona because he is progressively getting better each year so he will be out of this world good at 27-29. Gerrard was a decent player first few years but he became heart and soul of the team between 25-30.

That's a massive jump tho, he's played 11 extra games and scored 25 goals .If he keeps up this progression he going to out score the whole league single handled.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    AS: Salah's representives offer the Egyptian to Barcelona

If Griezmann stays, I guess Barca have €100m to spend...

https://twitter.com/RamyCol/status/1004417915989479424?s=19

That settles that so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Based on his past goal returns more likely, you could say its based on hope he does it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/1004411159049580546?s=21

I reckon they will meet somewhere in the middle eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

So it's ok to say "no way he will score as many as last year,not a hope" .. rather than "he might score as many next year,it's possible" and only one of them.is correct because a few on here say so ? Lolol.

Anyway,no way he transfers out off pool this season.

So it's ok to say "no way he will score as many as last year,not a hope" .. rather than "he might score as many next year,it's possible" and only one of them.is correct because a few on here say so ? Lolol.

Anyway,no way he transfers out off pool this season.

Who are you quoting there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What you think Salah is worth is utterly irrelevant. The market, which is batshít crazy, dictates it.

£200m is the minimum that would be accepted. That's just a fact. Whether people like it or not.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    What you think Salah is worth is utterly irrelevant. The market, which is batshít crazy, dictates it.

£200m is the minimum that would be accepted. That's just a fact. Whether people like it or not.

He’ll be sold for 60m euro now watch :pac:

Sure if that's the case theres no point ever having an opinion on a team sheet etc or anything because at the end of the day we dictate none of it.

I'm stating that Salah isn't worth 200M in the current market.

What ? It's a fact according to who?No team would pay that for Salah and if they did Liverpool be crazy not to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I love the way everything is presented factually like a documentary but I do think Liverpool would consider €200m for Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Suarez was getting goals before, but Torres only prolific scoring sprees came at Liverpool. Most he ever managed at Atleti was 19 in a season in all comps. Averaged a bit less than that. His goalscoring stats exploded at Liverpool.

All things considered though, this is all a bit irrelevant. Liverpool aren't short of money, so there's no reason for them to accept a fair price. Only something close to a world record fee would be accepted for the league's player of the year I'm sure. his value to Liverpool is simply higher than to anyone else - for anyone else you have the risk he might not settle, might not fit the system or team. For Liverpool he's a known quality and world beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Who are you quoting there?

Generalizing the convo I am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What ? It's a fact according to who?No team would pay that for Salah and if they did Liverpool be crazy not to take it.

I never said any team would pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Re Fred:

Have many players coming from Russia/Ukraine (I know they are different, but you know what I mean) really turned into top EPL players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 season doesn't make a special player is my point. Especially when his previous seasons haven't been near that calibre. He has the potential to be special and hope he fulfils it as he's great to watch.

What's Liverpool fans expectancy of how many league goals he scores next season 25? 20?

If he can stay injury free I think he can get somewhere between 25 to 30 again. Don't see why not. He's in a team perfectly set up for him and will have a much stronger midfield behind him next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Re Fred:

Have many players coming from Russia/Ukraine (I know they are different, but you know what I mean) really turned into top EPL players?

Willian and Fernandinho are the ones that spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Salah missed umpteen excellent chances throughout the season and still got 40+.
    I can see him doing it again IF he keeps injury free and Liverpool themselves don't drop off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Vidic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JPA wrote: »
    Salah missed umpteen excellent chances throughout the season and still got 40+.
    I can see him doing it again IF he keeps injury free and Liverpool themselves don't drop off.

His composure in front of goal was superb. I dint feel his goals relied on luck or chance conversion that was unbelievable.

If Liverpool provide him the same platform I would expect similar results.

(I know you didn't argue otherwise. Not debating you... Just throwing my 2c in)

His composure in front of goal was superb. I dint feel his goals relied on luck or chance conversion that was unbelievable.

For the first two months Salah was missing some great chances. He was getting in great positions though so once it clicked he was on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He could pull crackers out of his arse, like the goal vs Roma, and a couple of similar examples, but I think most of all he was great at getting set quickly, finding space in the box when it broke, or just having the pace to run away from defences.

I'm not sure you could call Salah a top class finisher, at least not in the way you'd think of a Van Persie or Van Nistlerooy, but I suppose it doesn't matter so long as you're putting them away.

Messi's a bit like that as well.

Some combination of weight of chances, a good supporting cast and being untouchable when running at the defence means you're going to be scoring chances that more orthodox CFs aren't typically known for, but getting the volume of goals that's generally their stock and trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

astradave wrote: »
    He’ll be sold for 60m euro now watch :pac:

Straight swap with Roma for Allison

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Re Fred:

Aiden McGeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Just thinking about it and there hasn't been a huge amount of players who came directly from Russia/Ukraine leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Gbear wrote: »

He could pull crackers out of his arse, like the goal vs Roma, and a couple of similar examples, but I think most of all he was great at getting set quickly, finding space in the box when it broke, or just having the pace to run away from defences.

I'm not sure you could call Salah a top class finisher, at least not in the way you'd think of a Van Persie or Van Nistlerooy, but I suppose it doesn't matter so long as you're putting them away.

Messi's a bit like that as well.

Some combination of weight of chances, a good supporting cast and being untouchable when running at the defence means you're going to be scoring chances that more orthodox CFs aren't typically known for, but getting the volume of goals that's generally their stock and trade.

Are you saying Messi isn't a top class finisher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

yabadabado wrote: »
    Just thinking about it and there hasn't been a huge amount of players who came directly from Russia/Ukraine leagues.

Ivanovic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Andrei Kanchelskis - the original and best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Generous use of the word fact. The fact is that no-one knows what would be accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Russia not in the EU probably plays a part in that.

Not sure if they need a work permit or not.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Russia not in the EU probably plays a part in that.

Not sure if they need a work permit or not.

Think they do, just look at what’s happening over at Chelsea, Roman couldn’t get his investor visa renewed for ages so ended up withdrawing it and coming in on a non working Israeli passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bild: Liverpool interested in Leno,fee said to be €25 million. Decision expected before WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/sjstandardsport/status/1004658843698237440

Spurs cool their interest in Zaha after Palace put a £70 million valuation on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ivanovic
    Rebrov
    Willian
    Fernandinho
    Fred
    Eto'o
    Bauer
    Samba :pac:

Not a lot alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

https://twitter.com/sjstandardsport/status/1004658843698237440

Spurs cool their interest in Zaha after Palace put a £70 million valuation on him.

£70m for Wilfried Zaha? Christ... £30-35m is plenty for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

SeanHarty wrote: »
    Are you saying Messi isn't a top class finisher?

I'm saying his finishing isn't reflective of his overall incredible ability.

By normal standards he's a very very good finisher, but I think there've been better ones and that's not the chief reason for him scoring as many goals as he does.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Ivanovic
    Rebrov
    Willian
    Fernandinho
    Fred
    Eto'o
    Bauer
    Samba :pac:

Not a lot alright

You forgot the best of the lot ;)