Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

£70m for Wilfried Zaha? Christ... £30-35m is plenty for him.

Tbf, last season he was practically the entire reason Palace stayed up. If they feel that is worth £70m to them then they are 100% right to demand it.

Bonkers pricing, I'll agree. You'd get players of the same standard for far less.

But sell him and they are running a real risk of plummeting back down the league - just look at their win ratio with and without him - so they are right to slap that value on him to ward off interest, especially if he is happy enough to stay for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think you're doing Messi a disservice TBH.

IMO, his finishing is very clinical from nearly every angle or distance.

More often than not if hes gets a chance one on one or an opportunity to open up on his left foot from within 20-25 yards, hes going to score, probably more so than any other player on the planet.

The fact he scores so many difficult and different type of goals has probably diluted peoples view of what constitutes a "tough" chance for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He is worth a lot to Palace as they would struggle to replace him regardless of the fee they get.

They got 25 million for Bollasie before fees exploded. Look at what City paid for defenders, what Liverpool paid for a CB, what Chinese teams are paying like the Bakambu fee.

They also have a sell on fee to pay United that they will expect the buying team to cover.

Zaha will probably move on, he might want another chance at a top 6 side on the back off a good season but the price will put off any team that can afford him.

I think the way fees are going, players will start running down contracts and leaving for free with huge signing on bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Tbf, last season he was practically the entire reason Palace stayed up. If they feel that is worth £70m to them then they are 100% right to demand it.

Bonkers pricing, I'll agree. You'd get players of the same standard for far less.

When you look at what happened Swansea when they sold Sigurdsson & Llorente they'd have to be very careful.
    They would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for the meddling Mark Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Zaha will probably move on, he might want another chance at a top 6 side on the back off a good season but the price will put off any team that can afford him.

I think the way fees are going, players will start running down contracts and leaving for free with huge signing on bonuses.

Has four years left on his 100k per week contract. He'll have to force a move if he wants to move...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Has four years left on his 100k per week contract. He'll have to force a move if he wants to move...

Oh ya, I wasnt sure of his contract but was using it more of an example for players running down their contracts in the future and moving on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

FitzShane wrote: »
    Ivanovic
    Rebrov
    Willian
    Fernandinho
    Fred
    Eto'o
    Bauer
    Samba :pac:

Not a lot alright

I'd say he meant Ukrainian/Russian players coming out of their leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lucas Hood wrote: »

No ,I meant player's of any nationality moving from either league to EPL.

Vidic is probably the standout player to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Arshavin
    Rebrov
    Kanchelskis
    Zinchenko

Oh ya, I wasnt sure of his contract but was using it more of an example for players running down their contracts in the future and moving on.

Well, I'm surprised at the prevalence of five year deals still. Players sign long term deals they have no genuine intention of honouring when two / three year deals would give them a lot more flexibility when looking for the step up and probably a heftier personal financial payoff. The incentives floating around are weird and contrary to the expressed intentions. Doesn't make sense in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/IndyFootball/status/1004703269275488256

Liverpool could announce 2 new signings in the next 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Fekir and Shaqiri are the 2 in the article

Are they imminent ? Have to be imminent to really count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Tweet: "Liverpool could announce 2 new signings in the next 24 hours."
    *click*
    Article: "Liverpool have made progress on transfers and are expected to sign one new player in the next 24 hours."

FFS.

Shaqiri, Fekir and Simon Moses seem all to be heavily rumoured but most of the chatter about Fekir has been that it would be post-World Cup. I don't buy the line in the article about Aulas backing down on that after Fekir didn't play a friendly - he wasn't even a dead cert to make the final 23, never mind the starting 11.

The other two, who even knows at this point...

• Advertisement

Well, I'm surprised at the prevalence of five year deals still. Players sign long term deals they have no genuine intention of honouring when two / three year deals would give them a lot more flexibility when looking for the step up and probably a heftier personal financial payoff. The incentives floating around are weird and contrary to the expressed intentions. Doesn't make sense in many cases.

It does for Zaha, he had problems at United and any club can be unstable with manager changes. If Palace stay in the league and he does well a club will still buy him, if they get relegated they would need to sell him.

Too many players are in a rush to get to a 'top' club and move too early. He already had that experience. Better off playing football for a good wage and seeing what happens down the road.

I expect more use of buy out clauses than players signing short term deals in their mid 20s.

DM_7 wrote: »
    It does for Zaha, he had problems at United and any club can be unstable with manager changes. If Palace stay in the league and he does well a club will still buy him, if they get relegated they would need to sell him.

Too many players are in a rush to get to a 'top' club and move too early. He already had that experience. Better off playing football for a good wage and seeing what happens down the road.

I expect more use of buy out clauses than players signing short term deals in their mid 20s.

Equally, if Zaha had signed a two year deal and he performed well, irrespective of manager / club status he would be able to garner a similar deal elsewhere. The only reason a long term contract becomes player sided is in the event of loss of form or injury.

There are surely things like player extension options; buy out clauses that should be standard for talented players in their early / mid twenties, if they still want long term security to ward against injury or dramatic loss of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I always think this about Spurs players. You're playing well for an English team with a few consecutive seasons in the CL. So, a 5\6 year 75k a week contract with an club whose owner is like Scrooge McDuck when negotiating sounds great! He will definitely let you out of this contract easily in two years when another club is offering you 200k a week.

Stick to the 3 years to give yourself some negotiating power ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Palace are gonna be forced to sell Zaha to balance the books I reckon. I don't think they'll get more than £40-50m for him.

I didnt know Palace were in financial trouble?

Although if they did go down next year, I wouldnt bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement

Equally, if Zaha had signed a two year deal and he performed well, irrespective of manager / club status he would be able to garner a similar deal elsewhere. The only reason a long term contract becomes player sided is in the event of loss of form or injury.

There are surely things like player extension options; buy out clauses that should be standard for talented players in their early / mid twenties, if they still want long term security to ward against injury or dramatic loss of form.

The reason he got 100k (or more) was to do with the length of contract. They don't offer him a big wage without security of term. A player burned by his history, with a sense of appreciation for them taking him back on is sure to be more interesed in a deal good for both parties. When he signed on he already had three years left so his bump in wages was going to include an increase in term.

Other players of course may decide to not sign a contract, it is something more established players can take a risk on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm saying his finishing isn't reflective of his overall incredible ability.

By normal standards he's a very very good finisher, but I think there've been better ones and that's not the chief reason for him scoring as many goals as he does.
    Who would you class as a better finisher? You mentioned Van Nistelrooy and Van Persie, surely not either of them?

Van Nistelrooy was an incredible goalscorer due to his ability to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right time. Watching Messi for Argentina recently is this at a whole different level. He's dropping way back to centre midfield for the majority of the game, but as soon as the ball comes into the box he's somehow there too.

He's better at every aspect of the game than pretty much anyone ever has been. To say that 'traditional centre forwards' are better finishers than him is just not correct, he can do what they do but also so much more.

I didnt know Palace were in financial trouble?

Although if they did go down next year, I wouldnt bat an eyelid.

They haven't published their 2017 financials yet, and have missed the deadline to do so. Any further delay and they will get a wind up order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Messis an incredible finisher, ludicrous to think otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bild: Liverpool interested in Leno,fee said to be €25 million. Decision expected before WC.

Jay or Bernd? :) [something something Karius, Mignolet something something]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jay or Bernd? :) [something something Karius, Mignolet something something]

Must be Jay. I see him here with Beckham

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw3Kl7FZo6p_fFIgikrcGl9xCURySEx8JCaOi_w3GugECuqFp4Xg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1004820547354570753?s=19

Liverpool are close to completing a £53m deal for Lyon and France forward Nabil Fekir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1004820547354570753?s=19

Liverpool are close to completing a £53m deal for Lyon and France forward Nabil Fekir.

He'll take Mane's spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

pjohnson wrote: »
    He'll take Mane's spot?

Reckon he’ll play in midfield quite a bit alongside Keita and Fabinho.

He'll take Mane's spot?

He'll play in midfield with Fabhino and Kieta. Be an option in the front three as well if any of Mane, Bobby or Salah are rested I'd guess.

• Advertisement

He'll take Mane's spot?

Ox’s spot, breaking from the middle, will play higher up basically, Fabinho DM Keita box to box and Fekir higher up. Though in Klopps system he will be asked to track and press, which he is decent at.

Good signing for that price in this market

Though I do find it interesting that BBC are reporting it after the Lyon presidents remarks today

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1004823029002788865?s=19

Joyce confirming it now.

Liverpool finished the season with Henderson, Gini, Milner playing in the centre. Will start next season with Fabhino, Kieta and Fekir.

Great improvement to the starting midfield and decent quality as backup now as well and not a load of kids on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

astradave wrote: »
    Ox’s spot, breaking from the middle, will play higher up basically, Fabinho DM Keita box to box and Fekir higher up. Though in Klopps system he will be asked to track and press, which he is decent at.

Good signing for that price in this market

Though I do find it interesting that BBC are reporting it after the Lyon presidents remarks today

Not only BBC, Mirror (David Maddock) , Liverpool echo( Ian Doyle) also reporting it. Probably more I haven't seen also.

Not only BBC, Mirror (David Maddock) , Liverpool echo( Ian Doyle) also reporting it. Probably more I haven't seen also.

Joyce too.. it’s more that the BBC won’t report anything until they are certain, so it’s pretty much done.

Just found it funny with the Presidents remarks saying they were basically miles away from a deal and then hey presto it’s done ha

Ghazi who is probably the closest journo to Lyon is reporting 72m€ total.. 65m +7m

https://twitter.com/BilelGhazi/status/1004816903582478336?s=20

Nice to get big signings in before a WC.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Nice to get big signings in before a WC.

Some pretty decent business too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bad news for Hendo and miner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

kevthegaff wrote: »

Can is off to Juve, Ox is out until November time, those two will still see game time. Fekir if signed will rotate in the front three as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Id imagine Henderson will still play close to 35/40 games next season. Milner might have his gametime reduced which might not be bad for him as he is getting on

Plenty of games to go around, not a hope the two new lads are going to play every game, it’s a squad game now. Can’t rely on just 11 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I think Fekir will be wasted if he's part of the middle 3 and not the front 3. Top quality player though and he is very versatile and likely could do a good job deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Gives him a season to bed in if it does turn out that Salah goes after next season.

Klopp is used to this from his Dortmund days, get your replacement in and bedded before the player leaves. Very good management tbf, he has certain types of players in mind for each position and recruits based on that rather than just signing the best player available technically.

Not a sleight on Fekir that by the way or any other player he has signed, just meaning that he identifies certain attributes for certain roles.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

It should be,neither are of the quality required if you want to make a proper run at the title.
    They will be decent squad options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fekir shined this season when he played in an AM role not as a deep player so I'd be surprised if Klopp plays him further back. There were times when Liverpool struggled to break down teams playing with a deep block and I think Fekir has been brought in to deal with these types of situations for when Plan A isn't working. I reckon he will be eased into things and initially be tried in cameo roles, but we'll see.

I think he's an excellent signing (I know it's not official yet but it seems obvious he's Anfield-bound). I'm a big fan of his and I made him my Player of the Season in the Ligue 1 thread. He stepped up in the big games and I don't think it's a coincidence Lyon went out of the Europa League narrowly at a time when he was injured. I think they would have reached the final had he been fit throughout the season. Aside from the creativity he brings he's also a good free-kick taker and scored an epic stoppage time winner against Monaco with one just outside the box.

Have to say Liverpool's transfer business has been on point so far. Someone influential at the club is obviously a big fan of Ligue 1 and recognises the many gems that are to be found there. Maybe it's Klopp himself.

• Advertisement

just meaning that he identifies certain attributes for certain roles.

So that's the secret!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Agree that Liverpool ought to be pleased with themselves but it’ll be interesting to see how a three man midfield who haven’t played together and haven’t played in English football will get on next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

https://twitter.com/sjstandardsport/status/1004658843698237440

Spurs cool their interest in Zaha after Palace put a £70 million valuation on him.

It’s probably just a special price for Levy who I imagine nobody in England wants to deal with unless absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What's the amount Liverpool spent so far?

What's the amount Liverpool spent so far?

£130-£145 looking at different reports. That's all the Couthino money spent a now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement