Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Arsenal agree deals for Torreira and Sokratis according to the Guardian/BBC

Sports Bild also say that goalie Leno is to join them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Have these domino effects ever happend that people go on about and speculate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Have these domino effects ever happend that people go on about and speculate?

Not really but nearly every transfer with bigger clubs does have a kind of domino effect as the selling club would then try buy a replacement. Just take the effect of the Neymar transfer.

Neymar -> Coutinho -> Fekir(?)

Though it was more like the dominos were stacked too far apart and you have to keep giving them a helping hand to let them fall over

/ / / / _ | |

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Auba - batshuahi - giroud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why are Arsenal after Leno? Granted I thought he'd be an upgrade on Cech but apparently Cech has moved to #1 from #33 so why would they give him no.1 if they then plan on selling/benching him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Another domino from a few years back:

Gervinho from Arsenal to Roma to replace Lamela who was to replace Bale who went to Madrid which allowed Ozil to go to Arsenal.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Why are Arsenal after Leno? Granted I thought he'd be an upgrade on Cech but apparently Cech has moved to #1 from #33 so why would they give him no.1 if they then plan on selling/benching him??

He probably wanted number 1 and no one really cared that he got it. Not too unusual for the senior back up to have the 1 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Leno sounds more like a bit a short term stop gap until a suitable long term replacement can be found. He's good, but prone to lapses in concentration so I doubt he'd be considered number one, at least until he's proven himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Bring back Chez

Quazzie wrote:
    Bring back Chez

Would you go back?

• Advertisement

Just spotted that the transfer fee mentioned for Lemar is €60m. If I'm not mistaken, that's more than a third less than what Arsenal offered at the end of the last summer?

You'd have to wonder what were Monaco thinking at the time. They could have missed out on at least €40m there, more probably when you include his wages relative to the cost of a replacement! It'd have to be a stellar sell on cluase to even come close to recouping that amount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus blast from the past. Once Ireland International Greg Cunningham is set for the PL, Cardiff about to sign him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Just spotted that the transfer fee mentioned for Lemar is €60m. If I'm not mistaken, that's more than a third less than what Arsenal offered at the end of the last summer?

You'd have to wonder what were Monaco thinking at the time. They could have missed out on at least €40m there, more probably when you include his wages relative to the cost of a replacement! It'd have to be a stellar sell on cluase to even come close to recouping that amount!

Depends on their objective. If profit was their objective then it was a poor move. However, if giving themselves the best possible opportunity to challenge for the title/CL qualification was the objective, then maybe there's sense in holding on to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

a few takes on it.

1. Lemar helped them qualify for the CL and the revenue associated with that - 3 points above EL rather than CL qualification.

2. Did the bid really exist?

a few takes on it.

1. Lemar helped them qualify for the CL and the revenue associated with that - 3 points above EL rather than CL qualification.

2. Did the bid really exist?

1. Compared to his performances in the season prior though, Lemar had a very poor season with a decidedly average return in terms of goals and assists. You could just as easily make the contrary argument, that holding onto him instead of getting a more motivated replacement costs Monaco points.

2. Yes. Monaco themselves admitted to pulling the plug on the deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jaysus blast from the past. Once Ireland International Greg Cunningham is set for the PL, Cardiff about to sign him!

A good move for him,it's strange that MON hasn't called him up to any squad over the last 18 months.A very solid FB just very unlucky with injury.

1. Compared to his performances in the season prior though, Lemar had a very poor season with a decidedly average return in terms of goals and assists. You could just as easily make the contrary argument, that holding onto him instead of getting a more motivated replacement costs Monaco points.

2. Yes. Monaco themselves admitted to pulling the plug on the deal

Arsenal get to say: We tried to make a huge bid for a star player - but just ran out of time. BUT THE MONEY IS THERE GUYS! WE HAVE AMBITION!

Monaco get to say: We stopped a 100million deal, cause our strength is more important than many. WE ARE A STRONG FOOTBALL TEAM ABOUT MORE THAN MONEY!

I honestly don't think bids being made and rejected for mutually beneficial PR reasons is out of this world. I reckon it has happened, whether it happened here or not.

Arsenal get to say: We tried to make a huge bid for a star player - but just ran out of time. BUT THE MONEY IS THERE GUYS! WE HAVE AMBITION!

Monaco get to say: We stopped a 100million deal, cause our strength is more important than many. WE ARE A STRONG FOOTBALL TEAM ABOUT MORE THAN MONEY!

I honestly don't think bids being made and rejected for mutually beneficial PR reasons is out of this world. I reckon it has happened, whether it happened here or not.
    tin-foil-hat-conspiracy-theory1-300x222.jpg

Quazzie wrote: »
    tin-foil-hat-conspiracy-theory1-300x222.jpg

So you don't think clubs use the transfer market for PR reasons, at all? You think the stories of superstar links and transfer warchests, which come out right around season ticket renewal tie, are a little suspicious?

Imply I am a crackpot if you want to - but I'd be surprised if clubs didn't engage in bids as part of a narative rather than a feeling they will actually get the player. Not saying that is what happened with Lemar, but it wouldn't surprise me. Trying to start and complete a 100million deal, half way through dead line day when the player is on international duty would surprise me.

• Advertisement

Imply I am a crackpot if you want to - but I'd be surprised if clubs didn't engage in bids as part of a narative rather than a feeling they will actually get the player. Not saying that is what happened with Lemar, but it wouldn't surprise me. Trying to start and complete a 100million deal, half way through dead line day when the player is on international duty would surprise me.

Just....the conspiracy theories with your username and profile. It's too perfect.....I do agree with your point re pr reasons fyi :D

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1006902511528173568

West Ham close to agreeing deal to sign Issa Diop from Toulouse. Deal worth up to €25m. Deal agreed in principle this afternoon. Highly-rated 21-year-old centre back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1006902511528173568

West Ham close to agreeing deal to sign Issa Diop from Toulouse. Deal worth up to €25m. Deal agreed in principle this afternoon. Highly-rated 21-year-old centre back

He is a very exciting prospect and I've been a fan of his since I saw him at the U-20 Euros a few years back. Strong and powerful and with a presence that you wouldn't expect for his age. He struck up a good partnership in the 16-17 season for Toulouse with another talented young player Christopher Jullien. I recall him playing very well against PSG that season. The season just gone was more of a struggle as his club narrowly avoided the drop, but he played well when I saw him.

This move would concern me though because he's not great in 1 v 1 situations, he's not the quickest in the world, and he's not got the long-range vision with his passing that a lot of Premier League defenders would be expected to have. To me if he was going to England he'd be more suited to a club like Burnley rather than one where there's an expectation on attacking and where he may not get protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Spurs in for grealish .. is he prem quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Prob now yeah, had a great season at villa.
    Wouldnt say he is spurs quality though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He’d be an alright back up, can’t see him getting a game as he would be in the same position as Alli or Eriksson

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/1006991276095524866?s=19

Unsurprising if martial wants to get away from united/mourinho.

Hopefully he us fold to a foreign club, and used either a leverage for a target we want or to fund another transfer, hopefully a right sided attacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

According to twitter, Griezman will announce his decesion via videos. He has apparently recorded two videos, one where he's leaving and the other where he's staying.

Wtf is wrong with this guy? Why can't he just say whether he's away or not? Stay or go, but jesus he's milking it. Between this and his phone celebration, he's got to be one of the most annoying players around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

LiamoSail wrote: »
    According to twitter, Griezman will announce his decesion via videos. He has apparently recorded two videos, one where he's leaving and the other where he's staying.

Wtf is wrong with this guy? Why can't he just say whether he's away or not? Stay or go, but jesus he's milking it. Between this and his phone celebration, he's got to be one of the most annoying players around

Trying to keep relevant through teasing people about will he stay or will he go.

I bet he's comfortable at athletico being the big fish and wouldn't handle the pressure of going to a Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Like a French Jesse Lingard

https://twitter.com/DeanJonesBR/status/1007206943121903616

Madrid closing in on Allison, Liverpool still pursuing him but Roma not making it easy.

Player has reservations about living in Liverpool...... Can't blame him really. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is he better than Keylor Navas?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is he better than Keylor Navas?

Far better,one of the highest rated keepers in the World Cup.

Madrid closing in on Allison, Liverpool still pursuing him but Roma not making it easy.

Player has reservations about living in Liverpool...... Can't blame him really. :)
    Hopefully Real sign him up asap and it stops the annual DDG to Real stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Far better,one of the highest rated keepers in the World Cup.

Based on??? All his medals? His stellar seasons at the top level like navas? His champions league medals?

Far better than that ? Really?

Based on??? All his medals? His stellar seasons at the top level like navas? His champions league medals?

He has certainly achieved less, yes. But Navas is not at all a top level keeper, Allison is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd disagree, I have watched Navas for a couple of seasons at Madrid now and he appears very good.

OK so he had a few high profile mistakes this season, but most keepers do. Overall he kept Madrid in more games than he cost them.

I think if it is an improvement, its a very slight one.

Dudek won a Champions League medal. ;)

Basing it on medals won :o

Alisson is 6 years younger than Navas and has been excellent since he made his breakthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Navas has made some errors but he is an excellent keeper.

Would love him at Liverpool if Allison joins Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think Navas would be good enough for the PL if im honest.

If Real went after Courtois, I'd hate to think we were getting Navas in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

GavRedKing wrote: »

You'd be losing an excellent keeper and getting in a keeper who's untried in the PL, but has played for Madrid for years, and won lots of honours. He has a few mistakes in him but he's still in the top 10 in the world, no doubt.

Liverpool don't have an excellent keeper to lose, so for that reason I'd take him no bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

GavRedKing wrote: »

lol

000_BB3RH-700x466.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Navas has had a mediocre season at Real this season, he's still a very good goalkeeper but he's not someone that gives a 100% confidence to a defence at times. Quite a few goals that were blamed on Real's 'dodgy' defence were communication breakdowns between him and the defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Think Navas is a very good keeper, excellent in fact. I think at this stage of his career though coming to England might be a bit tough for him, think he would struggle in the same way De Gea did initially but he does not have the benefit of being young to lean on. A team taking him on will be looking for a top class number 1 and if he doesn't adapt quickly....

He will have plenty of offers though across the leagues I'm sure if he is out the door at Madrid, he has made some errors this season but as I said he is an excellent keeper. Allison to Madrid rumours have been going since Christmas at the very least and you have to assume if they really want him they will get him. So someone will be getting a top class keeper in Navas and if thats an English team and he adapts well to the league they will be getting a bargain.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Palotta apparently saying it's close.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/1007245865050935298

I hope Roma have a better fax machine than United. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

MD1990 wrote: »
    lol

000_BB3RH-700x466.jpg

Wow, a picture of a CL winning player.

Far worse than him have won it.

My point is, he wouldnt adapt to the PL, I reckon it would be like Bravo joining City, it would be car crash TV, I'm not doubting how good hes done, at times, for Madrid, I've watched them plenty to see it myself, I just dont think he'd transition well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In the wake of the calamity of Karius in the final, people have forgotten that Ulreich and Navas lit up the semi's with their ****ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If Utd won't sell Martial this summer, would he be free to talk to teams in January?

He apparently has an option for another year but I dunno is that at his discretion or Utd's.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    lol

000_BB3RH-700x466.jpg

Traore%20UCL%20final%202005.jpg

Advertisement