Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Point proven. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Alison has had what ? One season as first choice at a top club? I don't get the clamouring for him tbh,even as a pool fan,he's no neur or ddg ,far from it from what I've seen of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Navas is a good goalie, he's hardly some calamity of a player. Not a Neuer or De Gea, sure, but neither is Allison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gbear wrote: »
    If Utd won't sell Martial this summer, would he be free to talk to teams in January?

He apparently has an option for another year but I dunno is that at his discretion or Utd's.

It's usually at the discretion of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Gbear wrote: »
    If Utd won't sell Martial this summer, would he be free to talk to teams in January?

He apparently has an option for another year but I dunno is that at his discretion or Utd's.

It’s a club option.

Pre contract agreements are only for teams outside of the FA, but in this case he basically already has a pre-contract agreement(for another year) so he probably wound not be able to agree with anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

He was being sarcastic...(Why I don't know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Point proven. :pac:

I wish Djimi Traore won 3 CL titles but he won 1.

Navas has won 3 CL. La Liga as well. Also was won best La Liga gk in 2014 at Levante.

So a comparison with Traore is clearly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So there’s a special on Spanish TV right now where Griezmann is going to announce whether he stays or goes this summer. So far he’s been playing Fortnite and eating popcorn according to Twitter.

You nearly have to admire the neck on him, I haven’t seen anything so self-indulgent in all of sport since LeBron James did something eerily similar.

Now he’s pausing for dramatic effect. This is glorious stuff! :D

So far, he’s been playing basketball, watching his friends go horse riding and sat down for a bit of dinner. This is top level trolling. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

LeBron was rightly pillored for "The Decision" He regretted it afterwards. I'm not sure Griezmann has the same self awareness, he'll probably always think it was cool

• Advertisement

And it’s official, he’s staying. Literally everything in the program leading up to this suggested that he was, yet he still strung us all along. Brilliant stuff, I’d say the smarter Atletico fans will want him gone now though, he’s really disrespected the club by doing all of this.

I'd say now the club isn't that bothered when he has everyone tuned in to hear him say he's staying. They'd be a lot less happy if he said he wanted to go. Roy Keane did the same thing in the pre social media era, and talk up a move away.

Meanwhile he keeps all his own sponsors happy by getting everyone to sit up and listen, even when he's not changing clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

They should put him on the transfer list for acting a twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well I hope he's proud of himself. Laughing up his sleeve like that.

mpbp.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wonder is it the 22m a year Madrid are paying to keep him, swayed him from leaving for Barcelona for a reported 13m a year. Hmmm

Where the **** are atletico getting 22m a year in wages for him by the way. That's Ronaldo money like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gimli2112 wrote: »
    LeBron was rightly pillored for "The Decision"

After his last time dressing up as a basketball player I hope Griezmann didn't dress up as him for the occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'd say now the club isn't that bothered when he has everyone tuned in to hear him say he's staying. They'd be a lot less happy if he said he wanted to go. Roy Keane did the same thing in the pre social media era, and talk up a move away.

Keane did nothing like it. He held out for a better contract. Unless he released a video of himself sucking his own dick, it doesn't compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rob316 wrote: »
    I wonder is it the 22m a year Madrid are paying to keep him, swayed him from leaving for Barcelona for a reported 13m a year. Hmmm

Where the **** are atletico getting 22m a year in wages for him by the way. That's Ronaldo money like

Ronaldo money is double that.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Keane did nothing like it. He held out for a better contract. Unless he released a video of himself sucking his own dick, it doesn't compare

Nope. Before signing contracts, he always spoke of his desire to play elsewhere. Regular as clockwork. Everyone was wondering would he sign for Celtic and it was always a ruse to get more money out of ManU. It was exactly the same, albeit without the immediacy that modern day social media brings, just a player talking up his desire to move.

Rooney also used the same stunt with ManU, same result, huge contract to stay.

I don't recall any player releasing a video of himself sucking his own penis though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liam O wrote: »
    Ronaldo money is double that.

Ronaldo is actually on around 20m, Messi is on double at 40m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Nope. Before signing contracts, he always spoke of his desire to play elsewhere. Regular as clockwork. Everyone was wondering would he sign for Celtic and it was always a ruse to get more money out of ManU. It was exactly the same, albeit without the immediacy that modern day social media brings, just a player talking up his desire to move.

Rooney also used the same stunt with ManU, same result, huge contract to stay.

I don't recall any player releasing a video of himself sucking his own penis though...

I'm referring specificallly to the delay and video announcing his decision to stay.

Normal people sign contracts and announce decisions. Not Griezmann though, he needed the process to be dragged out long after the decision was made and to cumulate in an hour long video about himself.

I'm not one to exaggerate but between that and the goal celebration he's definitely one of the worst human beings ever

I'm not one to exaggerate but between that and the goal celebration he's definitely one of the worst human beings ever

Urgh...you reminded me why I hated him, that celebration. I wouldn't say worst ever, but how about "since 2010, not including ISIS leaders"?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah, got to be up there with Pol Pot, Idi Amin and even Hitler!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1007402304306282498

The Portuguese Players' Union has said that seven Sporting Lisbon players have terminated their own contracts in response to an attack by fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Far better,one of the highest rated keepers in the World Cup.

What exactly are you basing this on
    Navas is one of the highest rated keepers at the world cup to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1007402304306282498

The Portuguese Players' Union has said that seven Sporting Lisbon players have terminated their own contracts in response to an attack by fans.

Is that 7 in total, or another 7?

Cause they'll be down to the U-14s if it's another 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Carvalho, Martins, probably a couple more will surely be of interest to the English teams. I wouldn't mind Martins at all, even Carvalho would be good back up to Matic actually.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Carvalho, Martins, probably a couple more will surely be of interest to the English teams. I wouldn't mind Martins at all, even Carvalho would be good back up to Matic actually.

No-one will be touching any of them until they can prove they had cause to leave that will satisfy a court judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fernandes and Martins please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Pter wrote: »
    No-one will be touching any of them until they can prove they had cause to leave that will satisfy a court judge.

I'm not following it too closely but some of the reports suggested the President asked the Ultras to sort them out & they got stabby with a few of them. In terms of workplace harassment this would be pretty much tier 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

They will be fine, especially dost who got his head smashed open. Scummy club with a scummy president. After they lost the cup final it was even worse with the ultras reminding the players they know where they live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah, got to be up there with Pol Pot, Idi Amin and even Hitler!!!

You've Godwinned the thread :p

gimli2112 wrote:
    I'm not following it too closely but some of the reports suggested the President asked the Ultras to sort them out & they got stabby with a few of them. In terms of workplace harassment this would be pretty much tier 1.

Needs to be proven is all im saying. I personally don't doubt it and I don't think they will play for the president again, but million euro contracts are gonna be harder to get out of than that.

Any 'buying' club will be facing an unknown future fee decided by a court if they take the players on a free now without the contract situation being resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Needs to be proven is all im saying. I personally don't doubt it and I don't think they will play for the president again, but million euro contracts are gonna be harder to get out of than that.

Any 'buying' club will be facing an unknown future fee decided by a court if they take the players on a free now without the contract situation being resolved.

It doesn’t need to be proven. Their employer failed to provide a safe working environment. That’s grounds for self termination in any developed country.

Lukker- wrote:
    It doesn’t need to be proven. Their employer failed to provide a safe working environment. That’s grounds for self termination in any developed country.

That's just silly. If they can't prove the employer was involved its an extraordinary situation out of his control.

You can't just up and leave a job without having a decent case for yourself. Especially when millions of euros are in question.

Anyway this is all speculation either way and is prob OT. So I guess we will wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1006902511528173568

West Ham close to agreeing deal to sign Issa Diop from Toulouse. Deal worth up to €25m. Deal agreed in principle this afternoon. Highly-rated 21-year-old centre back

He'll go the way of Fonte and be a Pissa Poop by October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That's just silly. If they can't prove the employer was involved its an extraordinary situation out of his control.

You can't just up and leave a job without having a decent case for yourself. Especially when millions of euros are in question.

Anyway this is all speculation either way and is prob OT. So I guess we will wait and see.

The employer that SAID he would let the Ultras sort them out.

I'm not saying he organised the attack, but through his actions and words he encouraged such actions, and contributed to the unsafe work environment.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Link?

You must be new here...

This is the internet... Where there is no proof of anything and all the information in the world!

In fairness, the president was a former member of two groups of Sporting ultras and has always defended them or refused to condemn anything they’ve ever done while he’s been president. You can argue over whether he’s dangerous to the club or it’s players or not, but he isn’t fit for the role he’s in, that much is for sure.

• Advertisement

SeanHarty wrote:
    You must be new here...

Yeah totally. What does this button d......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1007967173275537408?

Wilshire to leave Arsenal after being told he's not a key part of Emery's plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Not really a huge shock I don't think. His contract was winding down for quite some time and there seemed to be little appetite from the club to make an offer that matched the role he wanted. I thought they might chance him for a year but guess not.

He has West Ham written all over him IMO. Could be a good acquisition for someone if the injuries can be managed but always thought he was desperately overhyped by the British media.

Presumably the worst that would happen is that the players may be exposed to a claim for breach of contract, but not sure why the new club would be compelled to pay a fee unless FIFA rules provide for this situation. If I walk out on my job and take a new role, I can be sued...but trickier to frame a case against my new employer.

Presumably the worst that would happen is that the players may be exposed to a claim for breach of contract, but not sure why the new club would be compelled to pay a fee unless FIFA rules provide for this situation. If I walk out on my job and take a new role, I can be sued...but trickier to frame a case against my new employer.

Presumably there arent usually mutli million euro transfer fees paid between both workplaces when you change jobs though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Wilshere going to do his version of "The Decision" on Arsenal Fan TV.

Presumably there arent usually mutli million euro transfer fees paid between both workplaces when you change jobs though?

But that doesn't create a cause of action and a remedy where there is none. If a player walks out on a contract, what duty has his next employer to his previous one? The player may of course be sued, even possibly injuncted to prevent him playing, the new club has no contract, no duty of care etc.

But that doesn't create a cause of action and a remedy where there is none. If a player walks out on a contract, what duty has his next employer to his previous one? The player may of course be sued, even possibly injuncted to prevent him playing, the new club has no contract, no duty of care etc.

Until the contract is legally cancelled, he is still under contract. It's an unprecedented situation but I don't think it's as clear cut as some are making out.

Even if new clubs jump in and there are no direct legal implications on the new club, they will be getting a player who may be unsettled for the duration of any future legal action against the player.

No use getting a player on a free, giving him a Whopper signing on fee and decent wage if his head is all over the place and it impacts his performance.

As I have said this is all speculation but I'm surprised there are so many that seem to think players can walk out on contracts with no future implications.

Until the contract is legally cancelled, he is still under contract...
    As I have said this is all speculation but I'm surprised there are so many that seem to think players can walk out on contracts with no future implications.

Both sentences are correct, insofar as the player is under contract and there may certainly be implications.

But unless the second club break some rules set out by FIFA, those implications are for the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

But unless the second club break some rules set out by FIFA, those implications are for the players.

Can the second club legally register the player without consent from the former club? I take it UEFA would be the ones managing it rater than fifa

• Advertisement
Advertisement