Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm posting this only because it manages to include 4 of the current top 6 PL clubs in one tweet.

https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1011689917838188546

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Another left winger? Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thought he had to go do national sevice in SK soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Thought he had to go do national sevice in SK soon?

Heard if south Korea get to the quarter finals of the world cup then son will be exempt from natural service... same deal if they win the Asian cup..

Need to clarify the small print read it on a Facebook spurs group could be total b.s..

Hopefully he scores another couple of belters and Korea go through. Hate seeing the poor guy in tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

davycc wrote: »
    Heard if south Korea get to the quarter finals of the world cup then son will be exempt from natural service... same deal if they win the Asian cup..

Need to clarify the small print read it on a Facebook spurs group could be total b.s..

Hopefully he scores another couple of belters and Korea go through. Hate seeing the poor guy in tears

It is a load of BS. The world cup has no bearing, neither does the Asian cup. He needs to place in the Asian games this August. Or place in the Olympics 2020. Likelihood is he is gone come 2019 summer if this August doesn't work out for him.

He also will not be allowed to play K League if he does have to do national service as he is designated as 4th rate manpower due to not completing his final exams in Korea. Has to work a desk job as per policy. It is an absolute ****show for him that could have been avoided had Leverluson released for 2014 Asian games where SK came 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It is a load of BS. The world cup has no bearing, neither does the Asian cup. He needs to place in the Asian games this August. Or place in the Olympics 2020. Likelihood is he is gone come 2019 summer if this August doesn't work out for him.

He also will not be allowed to play K League if he does have to do national service as he is designated as 4th rate manpower due to not completing his final exams in Korea. Has to work a desk job as per policy. It is an absolute ****show for him that could have been avoided had Leverluson released for 2014 Asian games where SK came 3rd.

I don't agree with the SK policy, but don't see why Son should be exempt from it when your average South Korean isn't.

I get that it's the prime of his career and it's a significant interference but it's as much an interference in anyone else's life, though they don't have the cushion of a few million in the bank

I'm really enjoying the Fellaini transfer saga.

As for Son, while the story is tosh obviously I'd have him in a flash.

Joining Liverpool in 2019 for 50m

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1011894994599366656
    SKY SOURCES: @SouthamptonFC agree fee in region of £16m for Basel winger Mohamed Elyououssi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Roma must be signing a player every other day at this rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rooney will join DC tomorrow apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's the right time for Rooney. The legs are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

klose wrote: »
    Roma must be signing a player every other day at this rate?

They've done good business so far. Always a risk signing a large group of players but...

In: Pastore, Kluivert, Defrel (on loan last season), Santon, Schick (on loan last season), Crisante, Coric, Zaniolo, Mirante and Ivan Marcano.

Out: Nainggolan, Skorupski, Iturbe and some youngsters.

Skorupski was the sub 'keeper, replaced by Mirante so no loss there. Iturbe was out on loan the last season and a half so won't be a miss so it's just Nainggolan so far.

If they can fend off interest in Manolas, Alisson and Dzeko, they really could be in a good position next season.

Kluivert, Crisante and Coric are exciting prospects, Pastore is a talent... It'll be interesting at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not convinced by Roma's signings.

Signing plenty of players but not much quality. Many look like punts, Pastore could be a good signing. Christante maybe as well.

Allison will be sold too but the WC & last few months his value has probably dropped.

Monchi loves a doing a deal. The Harry Redknapp of the Mediterranean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I think selling Nainggolan was a mistake by them, I know he's 30 and maybe his style isn't suited to EDF as much as Spalletti but he has a great drive and always gives his best. I am also very happy that Inter signed him, he's the type of player Inter have needed for years and with him not playing for Belgium it should help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Reports in Germany and Spain that Bayern won’t be taking up the option to buy James.. saying Arsenal & Chelsea are interested in signing him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

astradave wrote: »
    Reports in Germany and Spain that Bayern won’t be taking up the option to buy James.. saying Arsenal & Chelsea are interested in signing him

It's a 2 year loan though, so he might not be going anywhere just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It's a 2 year loan though, so he might not be going anywhere just yet.

Thought I read they wanted to cut it short but not 100% on that.

In other news Law is pretty decent with Chelsea sources

https://twitter.com/matt_law_dt/status/1012762444677242880?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dunno if I’m alone in this, but I don’t rate Son at all. United should proceed with a Martial, Sanchez, and Lukaku front 3 next year and Rashford there for rotation and impact sub.

If you’re adding someone to take minutes off Martial it should really be somebody who wins games by themself, the sort of player you can’t turn down.

Martial’s ceiling is much higher than anything Son could hope to achieve IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Absolutely but Martial looks like he wants out. Something doesn't seem right between him and Jose but yeah Martial is a much bigger talent than Son.

In a perfect world he'd be given the chance to develop into the player he should be at Old Trafford. I fear that's not going to be what happens though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

CSF wrote: »
    Dunno if I’m alone in this, but I don’t rate Son at all. United should proceed with a Martial, Sanchez, and Lukaku front 3 next year and Rashford there for rotation and impact sub.

If you’re adding someone to take minutes off Martial it should really be somebody who wins games by themself, the sort of player you can’t turn down.

Martial’s ceiling is much higher than anything Son could hope to achieve IMO.

I really like Son, excellent player - but I think the level he's at is about right for him. Wouldn't improve upon what's already at Utd. Saw him linked with Liverpool too... makes a little more sense in that context, as 'first sub' for the front three, but again, wouldn't displace any of them in a strongest 11. For what he'd cost from Spurs (and more importantly Levy), probably not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

With his possible upcoming 2 year military service I wouldnt think any club would want to sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

astradave wrote: »

It's a terrible shame that he can't stay fit.
    He's a phenomenal player.

Son would be a better fit for Liverpool than United. He’d be a starter eventually too because one of the front 3 will eventually leave.

Cabaye is set to be released by Palace today hasn't announced a renewal with them and this is his last day as a Palace employee, same with Krul @ Brighton.

Gbear wrote: »
    It's a terrible shame that he can't stay fit.
    He's a phenomenal player.

I’d love him at Chelsea if the price was right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

I agree with people are saying about martial and son in terms that martial has much more potential but he hasn't really developed that much since he's signed so it's a question if he will ever meet that potential.

Son is currently at a higher level than him but I agree son is more than likely as good as he's going to get and would cost an arm and a leg from spurs.

Being an arsenal fan I hate to say it but I think Son is playing some class stuff and I can't see why people don't rate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Son is an incredibly greedy player. Very effective at times but if he knew when to release the ball or square it to a player in a better position he would be some player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Son is a brillant player. Very quick,good finisher & 2 footed. Better than Martial & Rashford.

Would love him at Liverpool.

Wolves have turned the loans of Bonatini and Vinagre into permanent deals. The Bonatini one is very weird as he had lost his spot to Afobe (who Wolves already signed and then sold this very window).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mo Salah has signed a new 5 year deal with no buy out clause at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Any idea what they offered in the contract or was that leaked .
    He could easy turn into a one season wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does the 'no buy out clause' have any relevance?

He can still move within the 5yr contract, so I don't see the point of not having one. If Pool are afraid of some team offering it, make it silly like £500,000,000 or something.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does the 'no buy out clause' have any relevance?

He can still move within the 5yr contract, so I don't see the point of not having one. If Pool are afraid of some team offering it, make it silly like £500,000,000 or something.

Just stops them having to notify the player if someone had met the buy out clause with an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Any idea what they offered in the contract or was that leaked .
    He could easy turn into a one season wonder.

Maddock is saying £10m a year.

https://twitter.com/MaddockMirror/status/1013678938286100480?s=19

He's been very good (and improving) every year since he left Chelsea so I wouldn't be calling him a one season wonder.

I highly doubt any Liverpool fan expects him to score as many goals again next season though. 20 in all competitions would be a more "normal" return.

TitianGerm wrote: »

He's been very good (and improving) every year since he left Chelsea so I wouldn't be calling him a one season wonder.

I highly doubt any Liverpool fan expects him to score as many goals again next season though. 20 in all competitions would be a more "normal" return.

That is what I am expecting aswell,if even a bit less to normalize from last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Funny thing is he was guilty of missing alot of sitters at the start of the season, so could of scored even more. See him easily scoring 30 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob316 wrote: »
    Funny thing is he was guilty of missing alot of sitters at the start of the season, so could of scored even more. See him easily scoring 30 next season.

20 is more realistic. Mane and Bobby match that and it'll be a very good return for the front three.

We need more goals from midfield next season and not to be so reliant on the front three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Yea, it wouldn't be like Liverpool fans at all to be unrealistic or overly ambitious when it comes to expectations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Yea, it wouldn't be like Liverpool fans at all to be unrealistic or overly ambitious when it comes to expectations

I expect him to score at least 50 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ricero wrote: »
    I expect him to score at least 50 goals

In which game?

• Advertisement

Sokratis completes his move to Arsenal

Joel Ward renews his Palace contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Reina signed for Milan, wonder if Donnamarua is off somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

xtal191 wrote:

I think you'd be looking for somebody younger if Donnaruma was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

xtal191 wrote:

Should have went last summer. His form was way down this past season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think you'd be looking for somebody younger if Donnaruma was leaving.

If you’re Milan, this is exactly what you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

LiamoSail wrote: »

Rival fans have a habit of downplaying Liverpool players too regardless how good https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76066783

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Rival fans have a habit of downplaying Liverpool players too regardless how good https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76066783

7 years......

Jaysus, you've held onto that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

pjohnson wrote: »
    7 years......

I can dig up the posts from last year saying Coutinho is over-rated if you want..

• Advertisement

I can dig up the posts from last year saying Coutinho is over-rated if you want..

He certainly wasn't worth what was paid for him. very good player though.

Advertisement