Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I can dig up the posts from last year saying Coutinho is over-rated if you want..

Well if thats what ya wanna be doing in the heat then great for you. But maybe make a "reeling in the years" thread or something to show off your bookmarks and not have this thread go to Utd vs. Liverpool archive shíte ok?

Amadou (Lille) who nearly joined Crystal Palace in January has now joined Sevilla probably meaning Llenglet will be headin to pastures new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Rival fans have a habit of downplaying Liverpool players too regardless how good https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76066783

Demba Ba , was a god read going through that agian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Demba Ba , was a god read going through that agian.

Jose Enrique, world class, signing of the summer.

What a wild time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Gbear wrote: »
    Jose Enrique, world class, signing of the summer.

What a wild time.

Long :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well if thats what ya wanna be doing in the heat then great for you. But maybe make a "reeling in the years" thread or something to show off your bookmarks and not have this thread go to Utd vs. Liverpool archive sh ok?

It's a transfer rumours thread. It's already total ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1014060487443730432?s=19

Only €9m which is a bit of a bargain.

Mahrez is apparently joining City, at least he didn't leave it till deadline day this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1014060487443730432?s=19

Only €9m which is a bit of a bargain.

Already played more than 100 club games and is only 19. Very unusual for a 'keeper; must be very highly rated.

Must say I'm only familiar with him as a 'one to watch' rather than one that I have watched!

Edit: Isn't Fiorentina's other young goalkeeper, Bartłomiej Drągowski, meant to be one of the best in his age group (20) too? Or is that not the case?

Sky Sports News tweeting that Leicester have accepted a £60m offer for Mahrez from Man City with the player set to complete the move before the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah not seeing much significance in the Salah contract, id have assumed a good pay rise for him would have been expected after the season he had and with it obviously a new contract?

Should get another year out of him anyway, he looks happy though. Liverpool set up to bring out the best in him and as long as they pay him well I can see him being happy to stay there for ankther few seasons. Still young enough to head off to Madrid or whoever in a few years if he continues his form

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Chelsea reject a £50m bid for Willian from Barcelona, according to Sky Sports.

Cabaye has gone off to the middle east.

Also with under 40 days to go in the window Fulham have a squad of 15 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Reports from Mediaset in Italy that An offer of €60m from Chelsea has been accepted for Higuain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

FFS. COME ON FULHAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Did they rely on loans last year or how are they so short of players?

Their owner is loaded too from what I understand so funds shouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A fair few loans alright.

Lost Fredericks on a free as well.

Id imagine they will be dipping into the loan market again in the next month or so.

So in the last couple of days Real have been linked to huge deals for both Neymar and Mbappe, they have release official press release denials on their website and twitter about both of these..

Must not want to piss off the PSG owners :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Real Madrid said to be considering an offer of €100m from Juventus for Cristiano Ronaldo. Everyone seems to be running the story now, could explain Madrid’s recent interest in Mbappé after missing out last summer to PSG. This one could warrant its own thread if it gathers any more pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm surprised Harry Kane hasn't been linked with Madrid yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kane lacks the x factor for Real Madrid.

Great goalscorer but not a possible galactico like Mbappe or Neymar.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Kane lacks the x factor for Real Madrid.

Great goalscorer but not a possible galactico like Mbappe or Neymar.

I do think Kane benefits more from having the team built around him and cater to his game the way Spurs and England do. That’s not taking anything away from him but that wouldn’t happen at Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

astradave wrote: »
    Reports from Mediaset in Italy that An offer of €60m from Chelsea has been accepted for Higuain

Unless half his wages are dependent on him losing 2 stone I'm not sure that's a great idea.

I'm not knocking the quality of the Italian league but maybe you can get away with being that shape in a league with that sort of pace. I think he'd be cast adrift in the PL.

And maybe you can carry that amount of timber in your 20's but as we saw with Rooney, if you don't take care of yourself your ability to perform can drop off a cliff once you're getting in and around 30.

Great business for Juve at that price. Would support the rumours floating around about Ronaldo. That'd be a perfect fit and you could see him still banging them in in Italy until he's 40.

If he goes there, a brave man might make a bet for him to become their all time top scorer. 208 league goals in 6 years? Maybe just maybe worth a punt. Certainly the 51 European goals might be given how he's gone absolutely demented in the CL in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Higuain has got into good shape at Juve.

But I wouldn't be paying 60m for him.

Ronaldo apparently having medical at Juve soon. Insane if this is true.

https://twitter.com/elchiringuitotv/status/1014569536408805377

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/1014592527230492672

Madrid make improved contract offer to Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Wilshire being linked with west ham and fenerbache .Will be very surprised if he ends up with a top 6 team. Southgate with the way he has set up his team was 100% correct not to bring Wilshire .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wilshere is such a West Ham signing if they do make a move for him, would like to see it work out for him, he has been one of the most technically gifted players England have produced in my lifetime. Will never forget his performance against Barcelona in the Champions League when he first came onto the scene, unfortunately he has never kicked on and has had rotten luck with injuries. Agree Southgate was correct not to bring him but England could definitely do with a player in a similar mould to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wilshere at the World Cup could’ve been up there with Neymar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Kind of ironic that someone who can pick a pass and add a bit of creativity, a la Wilshere, is exactly what England seem to be missing!! A fit Wilshere should definitely have been on that plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ronaldo's last great act will be his longevity. He has at least 200 goals left in him. Selling him to Juve for 100m doesn't make sense. Saying that though, a straight swap to PSG for MBappe could make sense.

I do find it strange that Real Madrid are issuing statements denying transfer rumours. If Man Utd or Man City did that it would be a constant flow of statements. They have their eyes on somebody and have set up the non-statement to maneuver something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Kind of ironic that someone who can pick a pass and add a bit of creativity, a la Wilshere, is exactly what England seem to be missing!! A fit Wilshere should definitely have been on that plane.

The way they are set up is all about energy and pace. You couldn't play him deep over Henderson they would get overrun. He doesn't have the energy to get about the pitch like lingard and he doesn't offer a goal threat like alli. The whole dynamic of their team would change with Wilshire in it and I don't think it would be for the best.

The way they are set up is all about energy and pace. You couldn't play him deep over Henderson they would get overrun. He doesn't have the energy to get about the pitch like lingard and he doesn't offer a goal threat like alli. The whole dynamic of their team would change with Wilshire in it and I don't think it would be for the best.

I think you are missing the point a little. When England needed someone in midfield who could pick that pass forward last night they had no one. Lingaard has great movement but isn't a playmaker. Henderson is industrious but basically safe in possession. Dier came onto solidify things which ended up actually hindering the football and retention side of their game. Kane had to play a much deeper role once Vardy came on, sacrificing him being the one you would actually want on the shoulder of the last man. Alli looked to be well off the pace, possibly still injured. Sterling was wasteful. England's whole attacking ethos seems to be get it wide to the wing backs. They'll need more than that to progress as Sweden will lap up any crosses that come in from wide. They need someone in midfield who can play more of a playmaker role, and of which they seem lacking of.

The Ronaldo to Juve rumours are surprising. I really thought it would be PSG and then the MLS once his Real days were done. He still has the hunger to be the best so could only see him going to a league/team where he will still score 30+ a season, which I don't see in Serie A!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ronaldo's last great act will be his longevity. He has at least 200 goals left in him. Selling him to Juve for 100m doesn't make sense. Saying that though, a straight swap to PSG for MBappe could make sense.

I do find it strange that Real Madrid are issuing statements denying transfer rumours. If Man Utd or Man City did that it would be a constant flow of statements. They have their eyes on somebody and have set up the non-statement to maneuver something.

You think he'll score 40 goals a season for the next 5 seasons?

Why would PSG swap Mbappe who they paid 200m for last year for Ronaldo? Ronaldo is not worth that price. He's probably got 3 more years left at the very most. It doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You think he'll score 40 goals a season for the next 5 seasons?

Why would PSG swap Mbappe who they paid 200m for last year for Ronaldo? Ronaldo is not worth that price. He's probably got 3 more years left at the very most. It doesn't make sense.

Maybe they realise that they don't need the best in the world to win the French league and that Ronaldo has more CL pedigree and can spur them to win that in the few years he has left, while flogging more shirts.

Gbear wrote: »
    Unless half his wages are dependent on him losing 2 stone I'm not sure that's a great idea.

I'm not knocking the quality of the Italian league but maybe you can get away with being that shape in a league with that sort of pace. I think he'd be cast adrift in the PL.

And maybe you can carry that amount of timber in your 20's but as we saw with Rooney, if you don't take care of yourself your ability to perform can drop off a cliff once you're getting in and around 30.

Great business for Juve at that price. Would support the rumours floating around about Ronaldo. That'd be a perfect fit and you could see him still banging them in in Italy until he's 40.

If he goes there, a brave man might make a bet for him to become their all time top scorer. 208 league goals in 6 years? Maybe just maybe worth a punt. Certainly the 51 European goals might be given how he's gone absolutely demented in the CL in the last few years.

Continues to bang them in at the CL level. Spurs will tell you all about it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

In awe of Juventus if they pull it off

When I was thinking where he could go at the start of the summer, I presumed it would be United or PSG never even considered Juvi. Fair play to them. He will be able to bang ingoals and rest for Juve, and should make them proper contenders now for the CL, instead of "always thereabouts but never able to get over the line" constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I have a lot more respect for Ronaldo going to Juve over the likes of PSG to be honest. He could have easily gone to France and scored a shed load of goals and spent the next few seasons padding out his goal stats in a league that's a couple of levels below what he's been playing in for the last 15 years.

Instead he's going to Italy, and although it's to a club who have dominated it for the last 7/8 years, I do think it's more difficult to post insane goal numbers there. The champions league will be the main target though and that's where this move will be most interesting. Can Ronaldo go from 3 in row and 4 in 5 seasons at Real to driving Juve to their first Champions League in 22/23 years?

It's not a bad career either, biggest club in England, biggest club in Spain and biggest club in Italy. 3 of the 4 elite level leagues played in.

I do wish it was him coming back to United but I can't really blame him for wanting to test himself in another league.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's all happened very quickly. Wonder will this open up Neymar/M'Bappe to Madrid.

From a Galactico perspective, Perez will want a big name. Serious amount of goals to replace too.

I think Juve is the best possible move for Ronnie, they will tailor the system totally around him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

If Ronaldo were to go to Italy I'd love Messi to join him at one of the Milan clubs or Napoli perhaps, unlikely but it would be massive for serie a as a whole.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    If Ronaldo were to go to Italy I'd love Messi to join him at one of the Milan clubs or Napoli perhaps, unlikely but it would be massive for serie a as a whole.

Napoli were probably the closest in term of challenging based on last season but they seem to be losing a few players and manager is already gone.

AC have a European ban so would probably rule them out of a title challenge as it'll be very difficult to attract the quality needed.

Inter seem like they have a bit of money and have done some decent deals. They could be an interesting side next season.

I'd love to see them face off with Messi out of Barca alright but I don't think he'll ever leave his comfort zone until its time for his Qatar payday at the end of his career.

Big part of this deal for Juve is the marketing and exposure they'll get on a global scale if it goes through. Walk around any city in Asia, Africa or the Americas and you'll spot Madrid jerseys for sale and being worn with Ronaldos name on the back. Obviously, Madrid were always massive on a global scale in terms of sales, etc but having Ronaldo certainly added to their attraction in some areas.

Juve, and Italian clubs in general, just aren't on the same scale as Madrid, Barca, Man Utd, etc and while this won't change that overnight, you'll definitely see a huge increase in the number Juve jerseys being sold in those territories if Ronaldos name was on the back of them.

Also, Madrid signed Alvaro Odriozola from Sociedad. €40m. Right back who can play on the wing too. Will be interesting to see what role he gets as it's hard to see him moving Carvajal but Lopetegui is a big fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Napoli would be a team Messi would thrive in, but this is fantasy football levels of thinking.

Personally this Ronaldo/Juve thing smells a bit fishy to me and a new contract would be as likely as a move imo. Saying that hats off to the lad if he goes, it'll send shockwaves everywhere. I hope Madrid end up getting Neymar and all, they'll collapse if he's to be their star man. Knowing Madrid it'll be Neymar and Mbappe replacing him though, why the f*ck not like, Kaka and Ronaldo splurging 2018 edition. They also bought Xabi Alonso and Benzema that summer good God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Napoli would be a team Messi would thrive in, but this is fantasy football levels of thinking.

Personally this Ronaldo/Juve thing smells a bit fishy to me and a new contract would be as likely as a move imo. Saying that hats off to the lad if he goes, it'll send shockwaves everywhere. I hope Madrid end up getting Neymar and all, they'll collapse if he's to be their star man. Knowing Madrid it'll be Neymar and Mbappe replacing him though, why the f*ck not like, Kaka and Ronaldo splurging 2018 edition. They also bought Xabi Alonso and Benzema that summer good God.

I dont think Real have €500 million to splash on Neymar and Mbappe and that is what they'll cost. If they sell Bale for another €100 odd woth the Ronaldo money then its achievable but id say unlikely.

I still can't see this happening, can Juve afford to match what he's on at Real and not shift a few on. The disparity in wages will also cause some dressing room unrest.

Players in the dressing room will not be unhappy with Ronaldo earning more than them. It’s Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Fiat will be covering his wages apparently

Fiat will be covering his wages apparently

Surely FFP wouldn't allow that especially with AC Milan getting a ban for breaking the rules recently??

Had a good chuckle at this, Perez is some man :pac:

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1014980665677402113?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Surely FFP wouldn't allow that especially with AC Milan getting a ban for breaking the rules recently??

Pending Fiat training top sponsorship announcement at €20M per year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement