Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If Ronaldo goes to Juve will the United fans stop following Madrid and now support Juve as well? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

All over Spanish news last night and this morning, reckon he is gone. Some move for Juve, It might push them on to win the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any chance of Buffon re-signing too? One last hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ronaldo to Juventus makes a bit better reading legacy terms then Ronaldo to PSG and the French league.

Smart move for him if the option is there tbh.

Could see dybala on the move?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Surely FFP wouldn't allow that especially with AC Milan getting a ban for breaking the rules recently??

It's a very different situation though, Juve are a well run club who would use one of the Agnelli owned companies like FIAT to give Ronaldo a personal sponsorship to cover the wages that the club can't offer due to FFP. Milan on the other hand is a complete mess, their owner is bankrupt and has loans from a vulture fund that need paying back, in fact they even made a payment that he couldn't and if he doesn't pay it today the Elliott will get control of the club.

As much as I hate the idea on Ronaldo playing for Juve, it will be a great signing for them and the rest of the league would also see a benefit from the increased interest in the league. I bet they are kicking themselves that they sold the TV right recently as this could have worked in their favour to increase the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Ronaldo to Juventus makes a bit better reading legacy terms then Ronaldo to PSG and the French league.

Smart move for him if the option is there tbh.

Could see dybala on the move?

Id see Higuain being shifted first. Ronaldo will be playing CF i should imagine....Dybala is still very very useful for Juve as a WF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Pter wrote: »
    Id see Higuain being shifted first. Ronaldo will be playing CF i should imagine....Dybala is still very very useful for Juve as a WF.

Please not us, please not us, please not us.

hots wrote: »
    Please not us, please not us, please not us.

Why not? Sarri got the best out of him when he was at Napoli, breaking the all time record for Serie A goals in a season, so he would be able to slot in easily. The way the team plays will change under Sarri and having a player like him who knows exactly how he wants him to play would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I can understand that logically for sure, but apparently himself and the manager don't get on and they play a 352 alot so could see higuain and Ronaldo up front, I think Dybala and Ronaldo as a partnership would be better, Higuain and Ronaldo is not very mobile these days. Even playing dybala in behind the other two in a 3412 system allowing Ronaldo freedom and keeping Higuain and the point man could be excellent.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

dor83 wrote: »
    Why not? Sarri got the best out of him when he was at Napoli, breaking the all time record for Serie A goals in a season, so he would be able to slot in easily. The way the team plays will change under Sarri and having a player like him who knows exactly how he wants him to play would help.

Wrong side of 30, physically not great, playing in a slower and less physical league, don't believe he can lead a line on his own, mentally not exactly a leader (last thing we need is two soft, quiet lads up top), hides during games a lot, not exactly shining in the CL or WC (not getting a chance tbf).

He doesn't excel at any one aspect of the game and chelsea need that. He's not a bad player, but I think he'll need a certain type of team to excel.

I can understand that logically for sure, but apparently himself and the manager don't get on and they play a 352 alot so could see higuain and Ronaldo up front, I think Dybala and Ronaldo as a partnership would be better, Higuain and Ronaldo is not very mobile these days. Even playing dybala in behind the other two in a 3412 system allowing Ronaldo freedom and keeping Higuain and the point man could be excellent.

Cant see them using 2 €90m+ 30+ CFs myself, but absolutely it could happen. And if they look at recouping their money at all, it would perhaps make sense to move Higuain on rather than Mandzukic?

Mandzukic > Higuain in that target man role, for me. Ronaldo and Higuain would be fulfilling a similar role (they arent necessarily similar players but i could see them being asked to do the same job).

You are right SB - i have a very logical mindset (i think) and that isnt how these things are decided some/most of the time.

Dybala could be unsettled and moved on for sure.

Wrong side of 30, physically not great, playing in a slower and less physical league, don't believe he can lead a line on his own, mentally not exactly a leader (last thing we need is two soft, quiet lads up top), hides during games a lot, not exactly shining in the CL or WC (not getting a chance tbf).

He doesn't excel at any one aspect of the game and chelsea need that. He's not a bad player, but I think he'll need a certain type of team to excel.

That's fair, I actually think he is a little over rated myself but he suits Sarri and that will be very important because I think it will take time to change the way the team plays and having a player who just slots in would help. What would you class as a good season this year? I think it will be difficult for Chelsea this season, competing for a top for finish but if Sarri is given time he will improve them a lot more, it's just that to do that in his first season is difficult especially with the 4 who finished ahead of them having stability and building on last year.

dor83 wrote: »
    That's fair, I actually think he is a little over rated myself but he suits Sarri and that will be very important because I think it will take time to change the way the team plays and having a player who just slots in would help. What would you class as a good season this year? I think it will be difficult for Chelsea this season, competing for a top for finish but if Sarri is given time he will improve them a lot more, it's just that to do that in his first season is difficult especially with the 4 who finished ahead of them having stability and building on last year.

Unfortunately I don't think we can hope for more than top 4 and decent cup runs. If Sari comes in it'll be a huge change in style so it'll take time to adapt, and he won't exactly be inheriting an easy squad to fit to it. It'll be a big change just going from a 5atb to a 4. Nevermind a few players looking over the fence at better options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Players in the dressing room will not be unhappy with Ronaldo earning more than them. It’s Ronaldo

So long as they keep winning, at any rate.

I'm sure they'd all chip in a tenth of their own wages to pay for him if it got them a CL winners medal.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    So long as they keep winning, at any rate.

I'm sure they'd all chip in a tenth of their own wages to pay for him if it got them a CL winners medal.

Would you if you were in their position?

Would you if you were in their position?

In a heartbeat.

Gbear wrote: »
    In a heartbeat.

I can see where you are coming from, but id be putting it to Juve to make the deal happen without touching my wages, if getting him on board and winning the CL was the goal.

I can see where you are coming from, but id be putting it to Juve to make the deal happen without touching my wages, if getting him on board and winning the CL was the goal.

Well yeah.

That was one of those "I'd drive him to the airport myself" sorts of things. I don't think there's actually a mechanism for having a whip round to pay Ronaldo's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Chelsea trying to include Jorginho in a possible deal for Sarri.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlfredoPedulla/status/1015193833020313603

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thought he was tied up by Man City.

Thought he was tied up by Man City.

Yeah, that deal has been marinating for over 3 weeks now with no apparent progress.

There was meant to be a breakthrough a while back where Napoli finally agreed a fee for him, but nothing since, which maybe points to other suitors?

He'll probably get announced by City tomorrow..

Torreira 'all but signed' for Arsenal.

https://www.football365.com/news/torreira-rejects-arsenal-medical-but-deal-still-on

Good signing for Arsenal if it is completed; and a good summer / 12 months for Arsenal transfers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Don't forget Douglas Costa, which should pretty much always be a starter. Ronaldo upfront with Dybala and DC just behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Who are you talking about here? Higuain has been great the last two CL campaigns and has been a huge presence for them in key matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Who are you talking about here? Higuain has been great the last two CL campaigns and has been a huge presence for them in key matches.

He's proven to be a serial bottle job in finals in the past though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

BeepBeep67 wrote:
    Pending Fiat training top sponsorship announcement at €20M per year

Probably do marketing for Ferrari or something. Would fit in image wise there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote: »
    He's proven to be a serial bottle job in finals in the past though.

Chelsea won't be near the Champions League final anytime soon, I'm sure he'd do it in an FA or League Cup final if you'd count those as serious finals. Plus they are trying to replace Conte with a manager who himself never won a trophy.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Chelsea won't be near the Champions League final anytime soon, I'm sure he'd do it in an FA or League Cup final if you'd count those as serious finals. Plus they are trying to replace Conte with a manager who himself never won a trophy.

Or probably just one season..

The cup thing is a straw man. Conte didn’t win a trophy til he managed Juve. Same with Klopp at Dortmund. Jose at Porto. Napoli was the first job he’d be expected to even get close to challenging and pushed Juve to the wire on a shoestring compared to em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wouldn't be a good buy for Chelsea IMO. He's a striker on the wane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Payet linked with a return to West Ham, according to The Guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Buffon has joined PSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

West Ham have met Balbuena's release clause. Not good for Rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'll be very surprised if Ronaldo starts the season anywhere other than Madrid,with a new contract in tow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Roberts joining Leicester to replace Mahrez for £10m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Marca: "If Neymar can't be signed by Madrid then Hazard is plan B."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Paulinho returns to China after 1 year at Barca,for 44 million... Head scratching ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Officer999

Paulinho returns to China after 1 year at Barca,for 44 million... Head scratching ..

That whole transfer looks very dodgy

• Advertisement

It frees up space for Arthur to join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Officer999 wrote:
    That whole transfer looks very dodgy

Like most fees to that part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

pjohnson wrote: »
    It frees up space for Arthur to join them.

Who dat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mes Que Un dodgy as fúck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Who dat?

Brazilian midfielder,the deal was done a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

J. Marston wrote: »
    Mes Que Un dodgy as fúck.

No more than PSG or City, all their deals are corrupt as fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Football is being used to launder money is my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Football is being used to launder money is my guess.

Would always have been suspicious of this...then Luiz to and from Chelsea/PSG happened, seems fairly blatant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

No more than PSG or City, all their deals are corrupt as fcuk.

Which City transfer is suspect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Barca needed to move on an non eu player I believe if bringing in Arthur. That doesn't sound as exciting as money laundering though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Mushy wrote: »
    Would always have been suspicious of this...then Luiz to and from Chelsea/PSG happened, seems fairly blatant.

that was my first thought when it happened. it was when 50M was crazy money and David fn Luiz?

• Advertisement
Advertisement