Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Lukker- wrote: »

Ah that's not quite what you said.

He said he hasn't done any EXTRA weights in the off season and that you could just see his arms now cos he never trained in a vest at spurs.

He definitely does weights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Barca to bid for William - 60 million which is big money for a 29 year old even now according to Mail.

Liverpool to land Swiss Messi/Action Man before next weeks USA games start sez BBC quoting someone else (Joyce)

Liverpool not interested in Alisson according to Maddock man the in Mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Barca to bid for William - 60 million which is big money for a 29 year old even now according to Mail.

Aren't Barca at the max non EU quota?
    Even if they can sign him ,it seems an odd transfer.Dembele should be given a season at RW ,he has bags of potential and they paid a fortune for him last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

yabadabado wrote: »
    Even if they can sign him ,it seems an odd transfer.Dembele should be given a season at RW ,he has bags of potential and they paid a fortune for him last season.

Paulinho freed a spot for Arthur and they apparently want to offload Mina now so there would be space for Willian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

yabadabado wrote: »
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Paulinho freed a spot for Arthur and they apparently want to offload Mina now so there would be space for Willian.

I think Coutinho may be able to 'convert' to a EU citizen soon as he is married to his Portuguese wife for 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

All going mad in transfer world tonight.

Madrid to bid £150 million for Hazard.
    They are after Neymar and have made enquiries and sent representatives to have talks with his father/agent.

Barcelona in talks with Chelsea for Kante.

Shaqiri set for medical at Liverpool on Friday.

James wants to return to Madrid now there's a new manager there.

Juventus have made an approach for Marcelo.

Hames back to Madrid is surely the most obviously thing in the world for RM but they signed a stupid deal and Bayern can stop it.

Obviously Hazard and Neymar is not happening unless Bale is off to Man Utd for

2Jqmq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Real can do better than bringing back James. He needs so much protection in midfield because he's so unequipped to drop back defensively, it would hamper the likes of Modric, Kroos to play with him. A real treacle runner as well. The manager was rightly not starting him when he was there.

All going mad in transfer world tonight.

Madrid to bid £150 million for Hazard.
    They are after Neymar and have made enquiries and sent representatives to have talks with his father/agent.

Barcelona in talks with Chelsea for Kante.

Shaqiri set for medical at Liverpool on Friday.

James wants to return to Madrid now there's a new manager there.

Juventus have made an approach for Marcelo.

With only a month to go and so many clubs having done nothing it will get busy fast with some weird moves happening.

• Advertisement

Shaqiri arrives at #LFC for medical. This could kickstart the midfield-merry-go-round. Ritchie to #SCFC, Townsend to #NUFC, Antonio to #CPFC. All the latest transfer news on @SkySportsNews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Must be happy enough on the bench, can't imagine how he fits into a pressing system.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Must be happy enough on the bench, can't imagine how he fits into a pressing system.

IIRC there was a stat going around that himself and Joe Allen were responsible for most of the KMs Stoke covered last year.

I think that is an astute buy and he will do well as a stand-in for 1 of the front 3 for Liverpool. You are probably right though - from the bench.

Pter wrote: »
    IIRC there was a stat going around that himself and Joe Allen were responsible for most of the KMs Stoke covered last year.

I think that is an astute buy and he will do well as a stand-in for 1 of the front 3 for Liverpool. You are probably right though - from the bench.

Joe Allen wouldn't be great at the pressing either tbf.

No issue with the transfer, good squad option for them with little outlay.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Joe Allen wouldn't be great at the pressing either tbf.

He is. He was too lightweight and too unreliable fitness-wise, and didn't have the quality to make up for it, but he was a great fit for Klopp's midfield.

He left for more regular football.

If Shaqiri was there or thereabouts, it suggests his laziness is a bit of a myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Shaqiri being fat and lazy doesn't tally with how he plays. He doesn't play fat.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Shaqiri being fat and lazy doesn't tally with how he plays. He doesn't play fat.

I wouldn't call him fat or lazy, I would say his game isnt suited to a high tempo pressing one though. He will be grand though I'm certain as a squad option, good one to have coming off the bench.

Something different for the last 20 minutes when a defence has tired a bit, some of the weaker teams, well capable of a cracker from outside the box.

As I said can't see a downside to adding him for Liverpool

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He's a great addition once he's happy not being a guaranteed starter.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Gbear wrote: »
    He is. He was too lightweight and too unreliable fitness-wise, and didn't have the quality to make up for it, but he was a great fit for Klopp's midfield.

He left for more regular football.

If Shaqiri was there or thereabouts, it suggests his laziness is a bit of a myth.

And to focus on his chicken farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hames back to Madrid is surely the most obviously thing in the world for RM but they signed a stupid deal and Bayern can stop it.

Obviously Hazard and Neymar is not happening unless Bale is off to Man Utd for

2Jqmq.jpg

Bayern can do nothing about it if James wants to go back though. He can just reject Bayern's offer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

AdamD wrote: »
    Bayern can do nothing about it if James wants to go back though. He can just reject Bayern's offer

Surely they can stop him going back this summer seeing as it's a two year loan deal?

• Advertisement

and the option to buy.

Shaktar's Bernard (free agent) joining West Ham, how many signings is that now? 5? 6? and 3 weeks still to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

and the option to buy.

Shaktar's Bernard (free agent) joining West Ham, how many signings is that now? 5? 6? and 3 weeks still to go.

Hes quality great signing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

and the option to buy.

Surely the option to buy just means that Real can't reject the deal. James still has to actually sign a long term contract, which he can just not do.

That's correct, they have the option to buy for a fee already agreed upon and Madrid can't refuse the transfer but there is nothing to compel the player to sign if he doesn't want to.

Huddersfield sign Erik Durm on a one year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Real Betis ask you to find their new player

https://twitter.com/realbetis/status/1017839652022243328?s=21

It’s william carvalho by the way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shaqiri officially announced by Liverpool.

£13m can't really go wrong at that price.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1017862665719468032/video/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

astradave wrote: »
    Real Betis ask you to find their new player

https://twitter.com/realbetis/status/1017839652022243328?s=21

It’s william carvalho by the way :D

Some of the replies are brilliant. :D

https://twitter.com/marcosb_12/status/1017841379525955585?s=20

Shaqiri officially announced by Liverpool.

£13m can't really go wrong at that price.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1017862665719468032/video/1

Cracking back up for that price, will be interesting to see how he works in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

astradave wrote: »
    Cracking back up for that price, will be interesting to see how he works in the press.

But he's not a journalist?

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    But he's not a journalist?

tenor.gif?itemid=5208511

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That is high on the list of weird signings. Like I get the cheap price and all, but it’s hard to see what Klopp would use a guy who doesn’t/can’t run for.

Assumed he’d end up somewhere like West Ham where he can score a great goal every so often and be the hero and his overall lack of contribution to the team would be better ignored than at a club like Liverpool where you need to perform.

Could be an investment purchase. 13m now. Play the odd bit . Sell for 20m next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've always felt that Shaqiri is too muscular and that if he toned fownva bit he'd be a bit more elusive and quicker over five yards. Interesting to see how he dies under Klopp. At that prices it's a cheap gamble for Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've always felt that Shaqiri is too muscular and that if he toned fownva bit he'd be a bit more elusive and quicker over five yards. Interesting to see how he dies under Klopp. At that prices it's a cheap gamble for Liverpool.

That's just his build, he's barrel chested and stocky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

CSF wrote: »
    That is high on the list of weird signings. Like I get the cheap price and all, but it’s hard to see what Klopp would use a guy who doesn’t/can’t run for.

Assumed he’d end up somewhere like West Ham where he can score a great goal every so often and be the hero and his overall lack of contribution to the team would be better ignored than at a club like Liverpool where you need to perform.

Watched the Switzerland v Serbia 2nd round match in the World Cup the week before last and Shaqiri was the best player on the pitch by a mile. He's always been a stocky fella but I don't think he's lazy. Certainly Stoke fans seem to think highly of him and any lazy players tend to get spotted fairly quickly by fans in England.

His biggest challenge might be going from the main man at Stoke to often coming off the bench at Liverpool. He seems like the type of character who has a bit of arrogance about him. Not in a bad way necessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Shaqiri is quick in bursts, good finisher, great touch, wants the ball and is good on it. Can go down the outside or cut inside, also a decent set piece take. He's 26 now and seems to have a lot of belief in himself/arrogance, maybe he was too young when he got his Bayern and Inter chances. He's not going to be expected to be the main man, maybe he'll grab this likely last chance at a big club and drive on and achieve his potential. He's a very good squad option for Liverpool and I think he'll be a hit. And at £13m he's at worst a punt who you can still recoup money on.

Shaqiri is a considerable improvement on Solanke/Origi/Ings as a back up to their front 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

pjohnson wrote: »
    Shaqiri is a considerable improvement on Solanke/Origi/Ings as a back up to their front 3.

That's my thinking too. If we hadn't signed him, I don't think I'd be complaining if he ended up at one of our rivals but he's a useful option from the bench.

I've always wondered about his consistency, seemed to be an issue at every club he's been at, so the challenge for Klopp now will be get the best out of him while giving minimal game time. He isn't going to dislodge any of the front 3 but should still see action due to a high number of games. Question is whether he can make an impact in the 20/30 minute appearances and sporadic starts that I would think he's more likely to get.

That said, we have often run out of steam for a few games at a time over the last two seasons so all the extra options we can get are useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Carvalho, Inui, Canales, Pau Lopez, Joel Robles(back-up keeper). We are having a good window lads!!

Carvalho, Inui, Canales, Pau Lopez, Joel Robles(back-up keeper). We are having a good window lads!!

Ye did very well to snap up Inui before the World Cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Great signings.

I really hope Los Verdiblancos can push on from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fromvert wrote: »
    Shaqiri is quick in bursts, good finisher, great touch, wants the ball and is good on it. Can go down the outside or cut inside, also a decent set piece take. He's 26 now and seems to have a lot of belief in himself/arrogance, maybe he was too young when he got his Bayern and Inter chances. He's not going to be expected to be the main man, maybe he'll grab this likely last chance at a big club and drive on and achieve his potential. He's a very good squad option for Liverpool and I think he'll be a hit. And at £13m he's at worst a punt who you can still recoup money on.
    No issues with his ability as he has plenty. But for me, he is very lazy and that won’t suit the Klopp style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Lukker- wrote: »
    That's just his build, he's barrel chested and stocky.

The hips don't lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Really surprised to see Carvalho end up at Betis, no offence to them but I thought he'd end up at a bigger club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Johner wrote: »
    Really surprised to see Carvalho end up at Betis, no offence to them but I thought he'd end up at a bigger club.

It's a great city to live in, especially if you've money like him. Sun, good food, beautiful women(hopefully he concentrates on football and not do a van der vaart), great culture, near to Portugal. Sure a big club like Manchester united could buy him but it's a ****hole of a city compared to Sevilla.

He is as slow as a tanker and turns like one too. That's his biggest issue and why I think no big club ever went seriously after him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/1018188959472594944

Hazard with a not so subtle come and get me to Madrid.

Where We those quotes supposed to come from ?

Not his Twitter or insta ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Where We those quotes supposed to come from ?

Not his Twitter or insta ...

Read the twitter thread. He said it after the match today. Terreur is a Belgian journalist and was there when he said it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement