Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fee agreed £67m including add ons. Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

rob316 wrote: »
    Fee agreed £67m including add ons. Wow

Absolutely mental money, if he has the same effect on the back 4 as VVD it'll be money well spent but I dont think hes worth that.

A really strange year for Klopp, big money spent on VVD, Keita and now Allison, not his usual MO. Fun times for pool fans though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I said it in the Chelsea thread, anyone paying 60m+ for Alisson is mad.

That goes for Chelsea, Madrid or Pool.

Whats worse for Chelsea is we're going to lose Courtois for half of it and struggle to replace him without spending considerably more that what we make on him.

Who cares about how much.

Alisson is one the best GK's in Europe.

MD1990 wrote: »

Tbf to Gav it's different for a Chelsea fan looking at it as opposed to a Liverpool fan. He's a good keeper but arguably a downgrade (At the moment) on Courtois for twice the money.

Value is in the eye of the buyer and in this case to keep Karius away from the team 60 odd million will look like a bargain the most Liverpool fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Alisson is one the best GK's in Europe.

Hes an upgrade on Karius and Mignolet alright, I'll give him that.

Maybe my judgement is being clouded that we're losing a considerably better GK than Alisson for half the price and we'll struggle to replace him without breaking the bank or getting in someone well below his level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Interesting reading on some of the reasons why Klopp has gone with him

alisson-karius-stats-ps_feaju0270qev1cmwnc21tzt8e.png?t=-1454419892

456040.PNG

De Geas save % by comparison is 74% since he has been playing in the PL, Courtois' was 70% since he has been playing in the PL.

Its only from memory, but i think Allison went a record amount of games without conceding last year as well. Which is what made the goals Liverpool scored against him in the CL even more crazy.

He is a good buy and in the current market, the fee was always gonna be crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Maybe my judgement is being clouded that we're losing a considerably better GK than Alisson for half the price and we'll struggle to replace him without breaking the bank or getting in someone well below his level.

No real alternatives to Courtois. Who was poor last season as well but is a great GK.

Cech & Schmeichel 2 mentioned who are not good enough for a top 6 club anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Am surprised Handanovic lasted so long at Inter. Always seemed like a top keeper (or at least the level just below) and Inter haven't been going anywhere in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Liverpool had paid that for a striker no one would bat an eyelid in this day and age.

Liverpool's weakness over the last decade has been the defence which everyone knew so they are addressing it by sending money on the spine of the team that should be there for the next 5/6/7/8 seasons now with Fabinho in as DM VVD as CB and now Alisson as a goalkeeper.

Klopp now as a really strong new spine to the team in Alisson, VVD, Fabinho, Keita & Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As long as he avoids concussion.

Saw it posted yesterday that Chelsea were considering Cech to replace Courtois.

It'll be an odd goalkeeper market alltogether now. Roma/Chelsea will be looking to sign a new #1 very quickly, Navas, Mignolet and Karius will all want out of their clubs probably.

Joe Hart still can't find a club.

There will be plenty of loosers with this window closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Courtious had 3 years left on his contract he'd be going for £80m+. De Gea would be close (if not more than) £100m.

Unfortunately Chelsea have let themselves get in this situation and now have two options, take £40m or let him leave for free next year.

No real alternatives to Courtois. Who was poor last season as well but is a great GK.

Cech & Schmeichel 2 mentioned who are not good enough for a top 6 club anymore.
    pjohnson wrote: »

Saw it posted yesterday that Chelsea were considering Cech to replace Courtois.

It'll be an odd goalkeeper market alltogether now. Roma/Chelsea will be looking to sign a new #1 very quickly, Navas, Mignolet and Karius will all want out of their clubs probably.

Joe Hart still can't find a club.

If Chelsea could avoid signing any of those GKs, I'll be happy.

Cech would be ok back up but not good enough to be a number 1 anymore.

I think Navas is far too small for the PL and would seriously struggle with the league, I also dont really rate him, hes had a few f**k ups for Madrid throughout the years.

Hart, would be a board signing and the fact hes HG would worry me that we'll end up with Hart either on loan or as number 2.

One of the reliable Italian journos who broke Sarri and Jorginho to Chelsea has said we're after Donnarumma now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Liverpool had paid that for a striker no one would bat an eyelid in this day and age.

If Liverpool's manager had not come out and said previously that he would do it differently even if he had big money to spend maybe people wouldn't be so skeptical of the whole thing.

Klopp should really be called out more on those quotes, strange he gets almost a free pass on them.

Will another 4th place suffice after the spending spree this year?

If Chelsea could avoid signing any of those GKs, I'll be happy.

Cech would be ok back up but not good enough to be a number 1 anymore.

I think Navas is far too small for the PL and would seriously struggle with the league, I also dont really rate him, hes had a few f**k ups for Madrid throughout the years.

Hart, would be a board signing and the fact hes HG would worry me that we'll end up with Hart either on loan or as number 2.

One of the reliable Italian journos who broke Sarri and Jorginho to Chelsea has said we're after Donnarumma now.

Tbf after Caballero's WC ye really need a new #2, or will that Delak lad finally get on the bench after what 11 years?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If Courtious had 3 years left on his contract he'd be going for £80m+. De Gea would be close (if not more than) £100m.

Unfortunately Chelsea have let themselves get in this situation and now have two options, take £40m or let him leave for free next year.

Given his ex and kid have been in Madrid for 2 years, he was always going to end up there but ya, Chelsea not at least sorting his contract out last year and promising to sell him for a fee more suited to the club down the line, is something we'll regret this summer.

If we hold on to Hazard, which I'm confident of, I'm not overly pushed about losing Tbo, if both go, putting it simply, we're f**ked.

Given his ex and kid have been in Madrid for 2 years, he was always going to end up there but ya, Chelsea not at least sorting his contract out last year and promising to sell him for a fee more suited to the club down the line, is something we'll regret this summer.

If we hold on to Hazard, which I'm confident of, I'm not overly pushed about losing Tbo, if both go, putting it simply, we're f**ked.

Do like Liverpool did with Suarez. Get him to stay for a year, sign a new contract and put in a clause that if RM come in with £60m you can leave and we wish you well.

Tbf after Caballero's WC ye really need a new #2, or will that Delak lad finally get on the bench after what 11 years?

Hes gone, saved a last minute penalty in his first game to get his new side a win too. :pac:

Caballero done alright for us last year but you could see there was a mistake in him waiting to happen.

I think the club offered him a year extension until 2019 anyway.

At the moment our Gk options arent inspiring, Caballero, Tie and Bulka (both youth team players).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Liam O wrote: »
    If Liverpool's manager had not come out and said previously that he would do it differently even if he had big money to spend maybe people wouldn't be so skeptical of the whole thing.

Klopp should really be called out more on those quotes, strange he gets almost a free pass on them.

Tbf on klopp the neymar deal has kinda ruined football a decent player is now being sold for 40 million or so ! PSG really did wreck the transfer market last summer along with the mbappe deal.

Do like Liverpool did with Suarez. Get him to stay for a year, sign a new contract and put in a clause that if RM come in with £60m you can leave and we wish you well.

I would love if we could but I dont think Courtois would play ball.

Ideally, we'd sign him to a new 4 or 5 year deal and keep him or alternatively, sign him to a deal and sell him in January or the summer but I think hes pushing for the move now as apparently Chelsea turned down a big offer in 2016 from Madrid for him.

Hes gone, saved a last minute penalty in his first game to get his new side a win too. :pac:

Caballero done alright for us last year but you could see there was a mistake in him waiting to happen.

I think the club offered him a year extension until 2019 anyway.

At the moment our Gk options arent inspiring, Caballero, Tie and Bulka (both youth team players).

Aww didn't know he left I thought he was gunna be there forever ha.

Actually who broke this latest Alisson bid? Could it be from Roma hoping to start a bidding war between ye and Liverpool?

• Advertisement

I think Courtois has basically said he will see out his final year if he has to.

GK market is very strange anyway.

We're likely to lose Courtois for 35m with 12 months on his contract but we signed Barkley for 15m with 6 months left on his contract.

Actually who broke this latest Alisson bid? Could it be from Roma hoping to start a bidding war between ye and Liverpool?

Its was james pearce from the liverpool echo so pretty much this transfer should happen now.

Its was james pearce from the liverpool echo so pretty much this transfer should happen now.

Ah it wouldn't be Roma shítarsing so!

I think its been widely reported by a lot of good Pool sources on Twitter.

Paul Joyce and the likes.

Few reports from Italy too, I'd say at this stage, hes pretty much a Pool player.

Ah it wouldn't be Roma shítarsing so!

I can see this getting wrapped up by tomorrow or so with a medical. I think they tried a few weeks back with a bidding war but it kinda failed cause i think he has a buyout clause anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

LOL

I would love if we could but I dont think Courtois would play ball.

Ideally, we'd sign him to a new 4 or 5 year deal and keep him or alternatively, sign him to a deal and sell him in January or the summer but I think hes pushing for the move now as apparently Chelsea turned down a big offer in 2016 from Madrid for him.

Sorry I meant if they had offered that last summer to him. Then they would have had 12 months to work on a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Too much salt.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I would imagine 4th would be disappointing next season but even if the Alisson deal goes through Klopp has spent roughly the same in 3 years at Liverpool that Mourinho has spent in 2 at Man Utd and about £120 million less than Guardiola has spent in two years at City.

Neither City nor Utd had to sell their best player either during that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

How dare pool spend big on players !!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I would imagine 4th would be disappointing next season but even if the Alisson deal goes through Klopp has spent roughly the same in 3 years at Liverpool that Mourinho has spent in 2 at Man Utd and about £120 million less than Guardiola has spent in two years at City.

Neither City nor Utd had to sell their best player either during that period.

And Jose and Pep had better squads starting off than Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Massive money for a keeper and one who is relatively untested,will be really interesting to see how he gets on.

FSG backing Kloop in the market anyways,a lot of money spent in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How dare pool spend big on players !!

It's not that obviously. It's throwing money at the problems in a similar way to United under LVG. United have spent big on Pogba, Lukaku and Fred under Jose, all in different seasons. Other signings all around the 30m mark or less.

Liverpool spending big money on VVD, Keita, Fabinho, looking like Allison and potentially Fekir or another attacker in the last 12 months (Salah obviously being a bargain who has shown that he just about fits in :p ) means that Klopp is going to have to be judged by the same standards of Pep and Jose, neither who will be happy to finish below 1st.

With a potentially resurgent Arsenal along with Spurs and Chelsea still hanging around means that, especially with all those new players having to buy into Klopp's style there is a lot of competition regardless which could lead to disappointment if there is an early blip and they don't live up to expectations who is the axe going to fall on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sport Witness:
    Malcolm deal expected to be done by the end of the week.

If Moyes was still there, it'd drag out until the final hour of the transfer window and they'd end up signing some fella from Wigan.

Januzaj also been linked this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

yabadabado wrote:
    Massive money for a keeper and one who is relatively untested,will be really interesting to see how he gets on.

Not sure I'd agree he's untested? Serie A, Champions League (semi finals no less), No 1 choice for club and country, World Cup QFs....

Overspent? Perhaps. Transfers are mental nowadays though.
    Don't agree he's untested at all though, as far as options go he's arguably one of the best (attainable) keepers out there.

He's no Bernd Leno though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

yabadabado wrote: »

FSG backing Kloop in the market anyways,a lot of money spent in the last year.

A lot of money alright but a lot of money taken in as well. That said not all owners would let you spend it all. Between player sales and TV/Champions League money there is obviously quite a bit there to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Necrominus wrote: »
    Not sure I'd agree he's untested? Serie A, Champions League (semi finals no less), No 1 choice for club and country, World Cup QFs....

Overspent? Perhaps. Transfers are mental nowadays though.
    Don't agree he's untested at all though, as far as options go he's arguably one of the best (attainable) keepers out there.

He's no Bernd Leno though :pac:

He's had one season as first choice,I'd call that untested.

Coutinho, Champions league, premier league money, very low net spend under Klopp so far. They have loads to spend.

Coutinho, Champions league, premier league money, very low net spend under Klopp so far. They have loads to spend.

We haven't had a good net spend debate in awhile actually.

• Advertisement

Pogba was the first player to break the world record where it was unwarranted for a player of his calibre since then the market has just went crazy. You've seen Coutinho go for even stupider money.

Last summer it was Ederson was made money for a GK, its just gotten even crazier this summer with Alisson. There will probably be a 100m goalkeeper next summer. It doesn't matter anymore, English clubs have so much they will pay what the German, Italian or Spanish club want.

Not even Klopp could of envisaged the market going this mad.

I love the net spend discussion when it kicks off......

It's been a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I spent €20 this month on take away coffees. I made €0 selling coffee myself, so my net spend is bad and I'm bad at drinking coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Seems a very Ferguson signing as do the last few Liverpool transfers

No compromise ,just get the best possible player for the position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We haven't had a good net spend debate in awhile actually.
    duffman13 wrote: »
    I love the net spend discussion when it kicks off......

It's been a while!

It matters for Liverpool though, Utd and City have bottomless wells to draw from, Chelsea uised to but I'm not sure these days. Liverpool like Arsenal and Spurs do not so sales and success in something like the CL actually matters. The last time Utd sold a player for anything approaching a decent profit was Ronaldo, City are harder to judge being Nouveau Riche but I can't think of any player developed by City and sold for a fortune since the takeover. It's become part of LFC's business model intended or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It matters for Liverpool though, Utd and City have bottomless wells to draw from, Chelsea uised to but I'm not sure these days. Liverpool like Arsenal and Spurs do not so sales and success in something like the CL actually matters. The last time Utd sold a player for anything approaching a decent profit was Ronaldo, City are harder to judge being Nouveau Riche but I can't think of any player developed by City and sold for a fortune since the takeover. It's become part of LFC's business model intended or not!

2 months old, so summer deals aren't included. But, really it's an equal playing field really for every big club that aren't City or United.

3vo8cw8bi3v01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everton got such value for their spend didn't they? Obviously Soton's profit is mainly Liverpool's doing ;)

If thats accurate, Liverpool have shot right up to 3rd with this summers spending but its still leagues behind Manchester clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Given the daft figures floating around, you wouldn't be that surprised to see Liverpool with a pretty low net spend again.

Sturridge, Ings and probably another one like Origi.

Whether they're worth it, that's probably the guts of the Alisson deal, and is probably double his wages off the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If thats accurate, Liverpool have shot right up to 3rd with this summers spending but its still leagues behind Manchester clubs.

That Andy Carroll/Fernando Torres money still having an effect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement