Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gbear wrote: »
    Given the daft figures floating around, you wouldn't be that surprised to see Liverpool with a pretty low net spend again.

Sturridge, Ings and probably another one like Origi.

Whether they're worth it, that's probably the guts of the Alisson deal, and is probably double his wages off the wage bill.

Ya they could probably see 50m out of those 3 and they have Mignolet to shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Imagine Liverpool didn't have to sell their best players at their peak and were going into the new season with a midfield and forward line options of Keita, Fabinho, Coutinho, Sterling, Mane, Salah, Firmino and Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rob316 wrote: »
    If thats accurate, Liverpool have shot right up to 3rd with this summers spending but its still leagues behind Manchester clubs.

It depends on if you count Keita this summer, but if we get Alisson and Fekir we're on course for well over 200m this summer.

Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea and City are around the 60m mark. Spurs have spent nothing.

At a certain point, slagging about overspending needs to become anxiousness about your own team not getting the finger out.

City don't really need anything. Maybe a long term replacement for Fernandinho, but it's probably better to get the right guy than any guy.

The rest are in the same boat and have a lot of catching up to do on City.

There's less than a month left in the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

3 weeks and two days I think.

It depends on if you count Keita this summer, but if we get Alisson and Fekir we're on course for well over 200m this summer.

Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea and City are around the 60m mark. Spurs have spent nothing.

At a certain point, slagging about overspending needs to become anxiousness about your own team not getting the finger out.

City don't really need anything. Maybe a long term replacement for Fernandinho, but it's probably better to get the right guy than any guy.

The rest are in the same boat and have a lot of catching up to do on City.

There's less than a month left in the window.

I'd judge Klopp on the calibre of squad than spending and right now its right up there.

I'm an expecting a proper title challenge, atleast quarter finals of CL and it would be nice to pick up the league or FA Cup.

Very little weakness now in the squad, can't be any excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Imagine Liverpool didn't have to sell their best players at their peak and were going into the new season with a midfield and forward line options of Keita, Fabinho, Coutinho, Sterling, Mane, Salah, Firmino and Suarez.

Weren't Mane, Salah and Firmino all signed as part of filling the void left by Suarez? I severely doubt Liverpool would have signed all of them if Suarez was still at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf after Caballero's WC ye really need a new #2, or will that Delak lad finally get on the bench after what 11 years?
    We finally let him go! In sweden now I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Pretty much is for me, at least if you're overspending you're filing holes in some way!

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Weren't Mane, Salah and Firmino all signed as part of filling the void left by Suarez? I severely doubt Liverpool would have signed all of them if Suarez was still at the club.

Suarez would have been sold by now in any event in all likelihood - there is hardly an example of the club having a prime forward on the books when they hit 30 - Ian Rush was the last and he was a physical stamina phenomena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

hots wrote: »
    Pretty much is for me, at least if you're overspending you're filing holes in some way!

Like Leeds, Bolton and... eh Manchester City back in the day. Have people forgotten City were a Third Division team only 20 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Liverpool might have more work (Fekir revived maybe?)

Oxlade-Chamberlain joins Lanzini (West Ham) in having their 2018/19 season over before it even begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Like Leeds, Bolton and... eh Manchester City back in the day. Have people forgotten City were a Third Division team only 20 years ago?

Difference is Liverpool are spending the money that klopp has earned for the club from back to back cl campaigns, getting to a cl final, selling coutinho etc. Klopp has raised the bar for the club to be able to compete for big signings with transfer fees and made the club an attractive proposition for players. This wasn't possible before he took over . Although he has won nothing he has managed to get the club in a position when it can now have the type of squad other top 4 teams have and sign the type of players that weren't attainable a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rodgers had Liverpool closer to winning a title and were a CL team only few years ago.Klopp hasn't exactly broke the mould at the club.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Rodgers had Liverpool closer to winning a title and were a CL team only few years ago.Klopp hasn't exactly broke the mould at the club.

Back to back cl qualification is a real upward sign of consistent progress. The season under Rodgers proved to be the exception rather than the norm.
    Klopp has established Liverpool in Europe again he will look to establish Liverpool as title challengers next.

rob316 wrote: »
    Back to back cl qualification is a real upward sign of consistent progress. The season under Rodgers proved to be the exception rather than the norm.
    Klopp has established Liverpool in Europe again he will look to establish Liverpool as title challengers next.
    I didnt say there isnt progress but it sounded like the poster was making out Klopp had dragged some small club to unprecedented levels.
    Pool have been in very similar positions before, what's happens next will be the real achievement. Klopp needs to get the club close to a title and win some trophies.

• Advertisement

And did you see the standard of players he was able to attract on the strength of it. Lots of players Rodgers wanted went elsewhere salah, William,mkhitaryan. Things are a lot different now.

And did you see the standard of players he was able to attract on the strength of it. Lots of players Rodgers wanted went elsewhere salah, William,mkhitaryan. Things are a lot different now.

Yes the owners are now spending bigger sums of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

pjohnson wrote: »
    Liverpool might have more work (Fekir revived maybe?)

Oxlade-Chamberlain joins Lanzini (West Ham) in having their 2018/19 season over before it even begins.

What a shame,good chance he will never play as well as last season so

Yes the owners are now spending bigger sums of money.

Based on the influx of the coutinho money and back to back CL campaigns. All clubs situations are different. Liverpool have been far behind utd,city, Chelsea and arsenal for most of the last 10 years. Players either didn't want to sign or the club couldn't compete for them. Utd, City and Chelsea have squads that are fit for purpose for Europe and domestically. Liverpool have to and are getting to that level. This doesn't happen based on one season qualifying for the CL. Jose can take over utd who aren't in the CL and break the transfer record and have a huge squad and offer really high wages. Due to the prestige of the club over the previous 20 years and the amount of money the club is generating. Klopp has moved Liverpool up a level financially by what he has done while at the club. He has also made the club far more attractive for players partly due to the higher money he can now offer and that now possibly players view the club as a more attractive proposition than at anytime over the last 10 years. Now with these changes in circumstances he will be under more pressure to win a trophy. Its easier to compete on all levels when you have a bigger squad something he will now have and something which has reign has helped deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

"Other clubs can spend big money on top players. I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money”

Chequen Booken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like Alisson, think he will be great wherever he ends up.
    Obviously I'm not the only one as I didn't hear anyone complaining about him being Brazil no.1 with Ederson on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Obviously your not the only one as there is a team spending a world record fee for a keeper on him!

Big season for klopp based on last year's success and the big sums spent. I could be wrong of course but as a general rule with big investment comes big expectations. He needs a trophy really after the place he set the bar last year.

Oh and for the record I don't care how much any other team spends, I don't care that football people are hypocrites, I am aware it is a big season for more than one manager.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/leicester-open-talks-with-liverpool-over-12m-ward-transfer/1otf9apc13agj14goq8gl7f1bp

Looks like Ward to Leicester is doing the rounds. Reported fee of £12m.

That's a huge amount for a guy who's played very little for Liverpool since he joined in 2012 for £100k.

Fantastic deal for Pool if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fantastic deal for Pool if true.

Wonder if Kasper is off to Chelsea now and Tbo to Real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

"Other clubs can spend big money on top players. I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money”

Chequen Booken

Klopp said this in 2016.

Since then the transfer record has more than doubled to 200m pounds.

Liverpool have sold Coutinho for 140m & there transfer record is 75m.
    Transfer market has changed considerably since the comment was made.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Klopp said this in 2016.

Since then the transfer record has more than doubled to 200m pounds.

Liverpool have sold Coutinho for 140m & there transfer record is 75m.
    Transfer market has changed considerably since the comment was made.

Transfer market has changed doesn't mean what he said at the time wasn't bull ****

Up to date net spend in euro.

Liverpools will be fairly low still after outs.

Surprising Madrid is are in profit. That's value for money on your transfers.

113646_d0b3244693f743a542dc6a84b8f5ae22.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nothing better than hearing about net spend in sport :) strangely you hear less about wage bills which you would think are at least as significant.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Wouldn't be great if Utd-heads spent less time writing about Liverpool? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wouldn't be great if Utd-heads spent less time writing about Liverpool? :)

All as bad as each other as far as I'm concerned. Especially with condescending smileys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Wonder if Kasper is off to Chelsea now and Tbo to Real?

There is an insane amount of English Chelsea fans that want Pickford to replace Courtois after a decent WC.

No matter who we get is a downgrade but going after Pickford, Schemichel or Cech is jumping off the deep end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Other than Liverpool it’s been a pretty quiet window so far for the rest top 6 teams.

Deadline day this year might actually make Jim White explode if teams leave it to the last minute.

It's almost as if they've forgotten that the window ends early (Arsenal aside).

Nixonbot wrote: »
    All as bad as each other as far as I'm concerned. Especially with condescending smileys :)

:):p

Utd are relevant to me twice a year, beyond that it would take something fairly extraordinary to get me posting about them more than the odd time. Yet when I take a peek at the Utd forum it's Liverpool this, Klopp that. Just odd to me but there we are.

Apparently Ward is supposed to "replace" Jakupovic and compete with Schmeichel as #2.

Considering Jakupovic lost his #2 spot to the released Hamer (now Huddersfield back up) means its no suprise they are looking for a proper #2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Other than Liverpool it’s been a pretty quiet window so far for the rest top 6 teams.

Deadline day this year might actually make Jim White explode if teams leave it to the last minute.

Arsenal have been pretty busy. 5 signings I think?

Cardiff have 5 or 6 in aswell. West Ham have 8 by now I believe.

Edit.

Huddersfield have 5ish in aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

:confused:

Arsenal have all their buying done at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Arsenal have signed quite a lot of players as well, and seem to be adreessing weak areas of their team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

This is a great resource for checking all signings

Ah ye how could I forget about Arsenal hopefully Arsene will have decent final season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ah ye how could I forget about Arsenal hopefully Arsene will have decent final season.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GavRedKing wrote:
    No matter who we get is a downgrade but going after Pickford, Schemichel or Cech is jumping off the deep end.

Agree that Courtois is a class act but Pickford is already an excellent keeper and has shown in this World Cup that he is not fazed in big games. He is only 24 and has his best years ahead of him.

Schmeichel is a class act too.

Cech would be a big downgrade imo. I thought he was showing signs that he was regressing last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd prefer Butland over Schemichel or Pickford.

Dealing with Everton, ever since the Stones saga would put me of trying to deal with them again anyway.

I'm no fan of Pickford either, I dont rate him as highly as others.

Edit : Although looking at the alternative, Caballero, Pickford would be prime Buffon in comparison. :o

• Advertisement

Jaysus I completely forgot Arsene quit/sacked/forced out before the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What about donnarumma,,areola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Lyon don't sound like they have any intention to sell Fekir:

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1019968423223353345

West Ham now in discussions with free agent Diego Reyes.

Rice's agent would wanna start trying to get him to the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Advertisement
Advertisement