Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think Kane would love to have a season at Spurs' new stadium but if he lights up the World Cup I can see R. Madrid coming in for him.

Not sure if Real would go for him tbh. Lewandowski is likely to go for much cheaper and he's as good if not better. Icardi would go for cheaper too ,and is also excellent, and likely to have no WC issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Deise Vu wrote: »
    OK lets just assume for a minute that this isn't the utter bollox that it is (I am not going to go through the additional revenue from tickets, hospitality, merchandising' naming rights, NFL receipts and other sponsorships, ye can have a shot at it yourselves). In 2017 Spurs made a profit before exceptional items and Depreciation of £117M. In 2016 the figure was £63M. To the financially retarded that means Spurs could have financed an extra £45M in the last two years and would have still have had a cash surplus £90M over those two years. All that cash has been invested in the stadium (£315M spent on the stadium at June 17 - Cash less borrowings £14M).

Just because you make £90m in profit does not mean you've an extra £90m lying around in the bank.

Unless your trying to say something else and I'm picking you up wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

titan18 wrote: »
    Not sure if Real would go for him tbh. Lewandowski is likely to go for much cheaper and he's as good if not better. Icardi would go for cheaper too ,and is also excellent, and likely to have no WC issues.

That's not exactly the Real Madrid model. Lewandowski missed his chance IMO. He's slowed down this season, I don't think Madrid see him as a target anymore. Icardi is a possibility, but I think Real will prefer the bigger name. Kane could definitely be a target, especially if he has a good World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of players from the top 6 available for transfer this summer, and probably for okay-ish fees too, relative to the market.

Alderweild, Dembele, Lallana, Ramsey, Martial, Bellerin, Willian, Rose all available for sale/purchase IMO. Probably some more that can be added to the list, but they are the 'main players' IMO.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of players from the top 6 available for transfer this summer, and probably for okay-ish fees too, relative to the market.

Alderweild, Dembele, Lallana, Ramsey, Martial, Bellerin, Willian, Rose all available for sale/purchase IMO. Probably some more that can be added to the list, but they are the 'main players' IMO.

Lalana won't be sold. Klopp rates him to high and won't want to let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yaya Toure to Liverpool on a free is the latest rumour.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/997118315112869888

Oblak's release clause set at over £87 million to fend off interest from Liverpool and Real Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well that's just mad, Yaya stopped running about 3 years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Lalana won't be sold. Klopp rates him to high and won't want to let him go.

Would agree with that. He's been unlucky this season but should be a good option again next season.
    Where would he go to ?He was bought for decent money is tied down to a long contract.
    Can't see anyone paying what would be a large transfer fee for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon United would like Alderwield, Bellerin, Willian off that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The lure of Real and Barca will always be a problem for all sides in the premier league, especially for players from outside the UK.

But there is one way to make a player think twice about such a switch and that's wages. The money the premier league generates is absolutely insane and if Liverpool and Spurs want to keep Salah and Kane that's how you do it.

That's how City will keep De Bruyne, that's how United will keep De Gea.

Real and Barca don't have an endless pit of money, they obviously have a lot of money but they can't pay everyone like they pay Messi and Ronaldo. La Liga simply doesn't generate the money that the PL does.

I think with the money available to the PL clubs there's a real chance of a couple of the English sides going on to do very well in Europe over the next few seasons. That Real side needs a rebuild soon, their best players are all 30+. Same for Barca. If the PL sides hold firm and pay their top players what they are worth I think we'll see a dominance shift to the PL over La Liga for the best players in the world.

You could already argue that a good few of the best managers are in the PL. Pep, Jose, Klopp and Conte are all top tier manager wise and the the likes of Pochettino knocking on the door. Hell you even have a manager like Rafa managing a newly promoted team in Newcastle.

There's a real chance for the PL to establish dominance over the next few seasons as long as the clubs keep their best players. I hope they do because I'm sick of seeing Real and Barca get their way every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not just players outside the UK and today the world is getting smaller and more and more kids growing up will see those two teams more than any other as the ones to play for no matter what Country they come from.

UK players also went at the peaks of the careers Archibald, McManaman, Owen, Beckham, Bale, Woodgate, Lineker, Hughes.

The two Spanish clubs will always be a draw due to money, lifestyle and football plenty of others went over to other Spanish clubs as well.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Would agree with that. He's been unlucky this season but should be a good option again next season.
    Where would he go to ?He was bought for decent money is tied down to a long contract.
    Can't see anyone paying what would be a large transfer fee for him.

He cost 25-30 I think. He was brilliant in Klopps first full season here and like you said was unlucky with injuries this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just because you make £90m in profit does not mean you've an extra £90m lying around in the bank.

Unless your trying to say something else and I'm picking you up wrong?

I knew it was a mistake to start accountancy lectures here. Spurs are investing all their cash in the new stadium so all profits are ending up in bricks and mortar not cash. But if you made £90M profit (which I didn't say but never mind) and you weren't investing in bricks and mortar then you would take the profit, add depreciation and deduct tax to arrive at cash generated. In Spurs case this is the money that will be available to finance the loan (along with huge increases in revenue). You might also have to adjust for player trading and amortisation which I am definitely not going to get into here but we know Spurs are pretty good at. This would leave substantially more than the hypothetically required £45M.

Incidentally all these accounts are on-line. You can google any clubs financial results and see them for yourselves. There is no need for airy fairy pub estimates at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,487 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

whatever about the figures, I do wonder if Khan looking to buy Wembley will have a big effect on their finances. If Khan buys Wembley I don't see that Spurs will be hosting any NFL games. I know the stadium was designed for it, but i would also figure 1 game a season wouldn't be a breaker.

It did feel, to me, that they were hoping an NFL team would relocate there. Maybe that was never part of their planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Not just players outside the UK and today the world is getting smaller and more and more kids growing up will see those two teams more than any other as the ones to play for no matter what Country they come from.

UK players also went at the peaks of the careers Archibald, McManaman, Owen, Beckham, Bale, Woodgate, Lineker, Hughes.

The two Spanish clubs will always be a draw due to money, lifestyle and football plenty of others went over to other Spanish clubs as well.

They're never going to be a complete non draw but you can lessen that draw.

Also I'd say Owen and Beckham played their peak years in the premier league and there wasn't huge resistance to either of them going to Real. United wanted to sell (fergie fall out), as did Liverpool (didn't rafa want different players?). They were by no means finished when they left but I don't think it was a case of Real coming in and them being unable to stop their best player going. Not sure about McManaman or below as I would have been very young or not born when they moved.

Bale would be the biggest one where Spurs were desperate to keep but couldn't. Had they the resources then to pay better wages then who knows. Money talks. That's what I'm saying now though. The clubs have to resist the Bale situation by giving that player wages so they won't move and by doing that you can start to shift the tide of dominance from La Liga to the PL.

whatever about the figures, I do wonder if Khan looking to buy Wembley will have a big effect on their finances. If Khan buys Wembley I don't see that Spurs will be hosting any NFL games. I know the stadium was designed for it, but i would also figure 1 game a season wouldn't be a breaker.

It did feel, to me, that they were hoping an NFL team would relocate there. Maybe that was never part of their planning.

Google is your friend:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/raiders-seahawks-kick-off-nfl-new-dawn-in-tottenham-110118/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Dickerty wrote: »
    I am not talking geographical, I am talking the club, manager, players, fans...

The club, manager and players might be fantastic, it's all still based in Liverpool though which makes it significantly less attractive.

Not really sure why the fans come into the above equation. From a players perspective there's no tangible difference in the fans from Liverpool, United, Chelsea etc

I knew it was a mistake to start accountancy lectures here. Spurs are investing all their cash in the new stadium so all profits are ending up in bricks and mortar not cash. But if you made £90M profit (which I didn't say but never mind) and you weren't investing in bricks and mortar then you would take the profit, add depreciation and deduct tax to arrive at cash generated. In Spurs case this is the money that will be available to finance the loan (along with huge increases in revenue). You might also have to adjust for player trading and amortisation which I am definitely not going to get into here but we know Spurs are pretty good at. This would leave substantially more than the hypothetically required £45M.

Incidentally all these accounts are on-line. You can google any clubs financial results and see them for yourselves. There is no need for airy fairy pub estimates at all.

Profit + deprecation - tax may not give cash generated. Your profit can include other non cash items other than deprecation such as unrealised gain/losses, deferred tax, gains/losses on disposal of assets and goodwill impairments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would think privately Madrid would be keener on having Firmino over Salah given that he would seem to be an ideal replacement for Benzema.

• Advertisement

I would think privately Madrid would be keener on having Firmino over Salah given that he would seem to be an ideal replacement for Benzema.

Firmino would start for every top attacking team in Europe.

He is ideal for City, and there was talk this morning that Pep had asked for him last summer, but thankfully Firmino has singed a new long term deal at Liverpool with no more release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The club, manager and players might be fantastic, it's all still based in Liverpool though which makes it significantly less attractive.

Not really sure why the fans come into the above equation. From a players perspective there's no tangible difference in the fans from Liverpool, United, Chelsea etc

he was born and raised in a very poor area of egypt,he's hardly slumming it in a big city is he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Firmino would start for every top attacking team in Europe.

He is ideal for City, and there was talk this morning that Pep had asked for him last summer, but thankfully Firmino has singed a new long term deal at Liverpool with no more release clause.

In certain systems he is fantastic(liverpool and city spring to mind) but he wouldnt start for every top attacking team in the world. Does he even start for brazil? Isnt jesus ahead of him(id take firmino over him for the record).

But i do think he is been a tad over rated, excellent striker and all that but not a patch on a peak tevez who is who is the benchmark for me for the role firmino plays.

I think with the money available to the PL clubs there's a real chance of a couple of the English sides going on to do very well in Europe over the next few seasons. That Real side needs a rebuild soon, their best players are all 30+. Same for Barca. If the PL sides hold firm and pay their top players what they are worth I think we'll see a dominance shift to the PL over La Liga for the best players in the world.

Are they needing a rebuild really? Like Madrid have Carvajal, Varane, Isco, Kovacic, Kroos, Bale, Lucas, Asensio, Theo. Bale has struggled with injuries but he's 28, and rest are all in their primes or younger. James out on loan too with whatever happens there, and Vinicius already signed.

Ramos, Marcelo and Ronaldo are the 3 they'll miss most (Benzema or Modric not as much imo).

Barcelona are probably more in danger as Iniesta is gone now and a bunch of the other top players are in their last 3/4 years but that's still a long while away for a rebuild, especially if they just go and sign Griezmann and Lenglet already signed.

Course both teams have a litany of talent in their younger sides and the money to outbid anyone if they want a player enough. City, United and PSG are only others who can compete financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Canal Plus are claiming Buffon is in advanced talks to join PSG. Not sure of the wisdom of that from PSG's point of view. Big fan of his but I felt a few errors were starting to creep into his game this season. I think Areola has played well for them as well.

he was born and raised in a very poor area of egypt,he's hardly slumming it in a big city is he.

Perhaps Liverpool reminds of him of home so, but beyond that it's not an attractive city to live in relative to Madrid, Barcelona, London, Milan etc.

• Advertisement

Most if not all players from Liverpool & Manchester don’t live in those Cites they live in the posh countryside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Spurs have a 10 year deal for 2 games a season with the NFL. This year's second game will be made up next year. The NFL also paid for the NFL facilities in the stadium. With Levy doing the deal I doubt they can pull out without Spurs getting all the money they're owed.

Spurs have a 10 year deal for 2 games a season with the NFL. This year's second game will be made up next year. The NFL also paid for the NFL facilities in the stadium. With Levy doing the deal I doubt they can pull out without Spurs getting all the money they're owed.

That's just 10 years though. Levy didn't go to Al that work on the new stadium just for that 10 year deal, he wants an NFL franchise use that long term. If Khan buys Wembley, he destroys that as Wembley will be the home of an NFL franchise rather than leasing it off Levy.

Most if not all players from Liverpool & Manchester don’t live in those Cites they live in the posh countryside.

Yea of course. My point is Liverpool, and Manchester to a lesser extent, are hardly attractive cities in terms of size, shopping, amenities, restaurants, night life, culture etc relative to some European cities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well that's just mad, Yaya stopped running about 3 years back.

Stick a birthday cake behind each goal and he'll be grand :)

• Advertisement

Profit + deprecation - tax may not give cash generated. Your profit can include other non cash items other than deprecation such as unrealised gain/losses, deferred tax, gains/losses on disposal of assets and goodwill impairments.

Just google Spurs accounts!!!!!!

Just google Spurs accounts!!!!!!

I've no need to google their accounts.

Yea of course. My point is Liverpool, and Manchester to a lesser extent, are hardly attractive cities in terms of size, shopping, amenities, restaurants, night life, culture etc relative to some European cities

Liverpool city centre is quite nice if I do think so myself. Was European Capital of Culture in 2008 so looks fairly new. The outskirts is a totally different story.

Also players these days jet off on chartered planes for day trips to dubai and other places when they have free time just look at their social media accounts to see the lifestyle they lead.

Which club they sign for doesn't effect lifestyles with the money they make.

Also players these days jet off on chartered planes for day trips to dubai and other places when they have free time just look at their social media accounts to see the lifestyle they lead.

It does ,they can jet off all they want but Northern England is a ****hole in comparison to several other areas they could live in.

Footballers have a lot of captive time too where the option of a seven hour flight to Dubai isn't practical. They train and have various other commitments midweek, and play weekends. That means a lot of time spent in the city they're based. If you think Liverpool has anything near as much to offer a young millionaire as Barcelona, Paris or Madrid, you're dreaming.

The location of your club has a massive influence on their lifestyles.

Liverpool city centre is quite nice if I do think so myself. Was European Capital of Culture in 2008 so looks fairly new. The outskirts is a totally different story.

Great for a weekemd. Then what?

Liverpool's comparable to Cork, albeit with an enlarged Mayfield. Grand for a weekend but not much else to offer. Weather is ****e too

Great for a weekemd. Then what?

Liverpool's comparable to Cork, albeit with an enlarged Mayfield. Grand for a weekend but not much else to offer. Weather is ****e too

Is it ****.

Liverpool is a great city. Cork is more like a big town.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Is it ****.

Liverpool is a great city. Cork is more like a big town.

Ok a bit of an exaggeration, but Liverpool is far from a great city. Look at Berlin, Lisbon, London, Paris, Madrid etc, big cities with a lot of culture, nightlife, restaurants etc. as well as the weather. Liverpool's a different world all together, even Dublin has a lot more to offer than Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

LiamoSail wrote:

Probably haven't been in liverpool much have you? While the outskirts are working class, the city center is modern and very trendy. Liverpool one is amazing with high class stores for the Mrs to shop while some awesome bars to have a few scoops. The nightlife is amazing and has everything from a coyote ugly bar to live music every single night. Away from Liverpool one you have the Latin quarter with high end restaurants and is located right beside the echo arena meaning not that much walking to or from gigs. Loads of hotels around with another big one currently being fitted out down by the Chinese district. Then of course there is the Beatles tours, 3rd beat zoo on the planet according to trip advisor, situated less than an hours drive in Chester, aquarium with the largest amount of sharks in Europe, the safari tour north of Liverpool and of course south port which is the upper class seaside area located near mosney.

I can also give directions, bus times and. Advice for nights out or getting to games.

Liverpool is far from comparable to cork City.

• Advertisement

To be fair Sanchez signed for arsenal because they were in london. His first interview he gave was telling everyone he can't wait to live in London.

Location does play a big role.

Tevez and masherano for example both wanted out of northern England. They wanted to go to Spain but at the times only had offers from their respective clubs.

While I'm sure money can make a player go anywhere, it isn't correct to say location doesn't matter.

LiamoSail wrote:
    Ok a bit of an exaggeration, but Liverpool is far from a great city. Look at Berlin, Lisbon, London, Paris, Madrid etc, big cities with a lot of culture, nightlife, restaurants etc. as well as the weather. Liverpool's a different world all together, even Dublin has a lot more to offer than Liverpool

Your comparing capitals of countries to a regional capital.

And your wrong about culture and nightlife

Mr.H wrote: »
    Your comparing capitals of countries to a regional capital.

And your wrong about culture and nightlife

I'm comparing cities on the basis of attraction for young wealthy athletes. Liverpool's a fine city, my point is that it's small and not very desirable when considered against the alternatives, which are big capital cities.

Wrong about nightlife? So there's a similar range and number of high end clubs, fine dining etc in Liverpool as in Paris, London or Madrid?

[
    Probably haven't been in liverpool much have you? While the outskirts are working class, the city center is modern and very trendy. Liverpool one is amazing with high class stores for the Mrs to shop while some awesome bars to have a few scoops. The nightlife is amazing and has everything from a coyote ugly bar to live music every single night. Away from Liverpool one you have the Latin quarter with high end restaurants and is located right beside the echo arena meaning not that much walking to or from gigs. Loads of hotels around with another big one currently being fitted out down by the Chinese district. Then of course there is the Beatles tours, 3rd beat zoo on the planet according to trip advisor, situated less than an hours drive in Chester, aquarium with the largest amount of sharks in Europe, the safari tour north of Liverpool and of course south port which is the upper class seaside area located near mosney.

I can also give directions, bus times and. Advice for nights out or getting to games.

A Beatles tour and a zoo? Suppose they've a cracking owl sanctuary too? You're kind of proving my point.

I stayed in Birkenhead for a few months and have worked in Bootle. I'm familiar with rather than know the city well. It's fine, and as I said the comparison with cork is exaggerated, but no more so than the argument in support for it being a great city. It's a small, regional city with an unattractive climate and high unemployment. The alternatives are some of the most attractive cities in the world. Put the red flag down and look at it objectively. Nobody has ever dreamed of living in Liverpool

You should work for the Liverpool tourist board.A grand city but nothing in comparison to big European capitals/cities.

[

A Beatles tour and a zoo? Suppose they've a cracking owl sanctuary too? You're kind of proving my point.

I stayed in Birkenhead for a few months and have worked in Bootle. I'm familiar with rather than know the city well. It's fine, and as I said the comparison with cork is exaggerated, but no more so than the argument in support for it being a great city. It's a small, regional city with an unattractive climate and high unemployment. The alternatives are some of the most attractive cities in the world. Put the red flag down and look at it objectively. Nobody has ever dreamed of living in Liverpool

2a50d727ae8a99c98d0a903bf3baae6f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Loads of great places to go in Liverpool. Even if you have a bit of money. Lots of hip bars and restaurants to go with your local boozers.

I mean it's not London or Paris but those are ginormous world capital cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Can we erm.....move on lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Real Madrid always go big after the world cup , I do think it's cute the Liverpool and Spurs lads on here so precious about Salah and Kane if real madrid really want them , they'll take them

this arrogance just riles me.

it's a different landscape. yes, quite often, Barca and Real are like cocaine to Spanish and South American players, but it's not as simple as 'Real come in when they want, and take what they want, when they want'. especially straight after a World Cup, and especially in a money rich English league.

What is far more likely to happen with someone like Salah if he ultimately wants a move at some point, is that Liverpool will treble his wages (or more) for next season, and Real might get him in June 2019. it is very, very rare for a player to be bought, be spectacular, then just leave after a season. it just doesn't happen.

with Kane, i don't think he has any intention of leaving Spurs soon. and Levy, of all people, isn't going to let anyone take him easily. even Real. do you remember how long Bale took? if they don't win trophies, i think he ultimately will go, but he seems very comfortable at Spurs while they progress, start in the new stadium and more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

yes lads I know the original argument was valid but let’s agree to disagree on the city’s pros and cons and get back to transfers please

Advertisement