Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ha! :D You tried it at Liverpool and should have quit while you were ahead at City laddie! It's only down from there for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ha! :D You tried it at Liverpool and should have quit while you were ahead at City laddie! It's only down from there for you.

I mean what top team would even buy him after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Off to China Raheem if you want mad money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Irish international and my friend John Egan moving to Sheffield United from Brentford. Club record 4m

City know they don't need him so the threat to sell him is a strong one, be interesting to see if Sterling can think long term or not. Sure he can get another club but it won't be Man Utd, won't be Liverpool, a London side might well feel they can exploit the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Liverpool and United are supposedly after Gary Cahill..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lukker- wrote: »

Your ok, you can keep him :pac:

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Your ok, you can keep him :pac:

I'd say Gaz himself might have started that rumour. :P

I could see him doing well at United though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'm be sick if he was signed,I'd rather see Bailly and Lindelof get a chance to form a partnership than a past his best Cahill. Not sure Cahill was ever that good to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did Jose sign Cahill for Chelsea?

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'm be sick if he was signed,I'd rather see Bailly and Lindelof get a chance to form a partnership than a past his best Cahill. Not sure Cahill was ever that good to start with.

You can't really go wrong for £7m, I think he might be one of the best signings Chelsea have made. No expectations from him, but he won the CL in his first half season, and added every other cup and title to his resume in the mean time.

I think he's a rock in a low defensive block, he's a monster in the air, he has outrageous recovery tackles and was part of defensive setups that only conceded like 30 goals in multiple seasons. Scored his fair share of important goals too. Any team outside of the top 6 would be lucky to have him.

Did Jose sign Cahill for Chelsea?

He was a board signing, was signed after AVB was sacked mid season.

You can't really go wrong for £7m, I think he might be one of the best signings Chelsea have made. No expectations from him, but he won the CL in his first half season, and added every other cup and title to his resume in the mean time.

I think he's a rock in a low defensive block, he's a monster in the air, he has outrageous recovery tackles and was part of defensive setups that only conceded like 30 goals in multiple seasons. Scored his fair share of important goals too. Any team outside of the top 6 would be lucky to have him.

Chelsea got a bargain at the time and got the best years out of him.He would be a good buy now for a lot of clubs but he isn't the standard required at United imo.
    They need some to build a defense around and a 32 year old Cahill isn't that.

Alisson joins Liverpool for £56m with add-ons of £9m

From Roma's website.
    The Brazilian goalkeeper goes to the English club for a fixed sum of 62.5 million euros, and variable, up to a maximum of 10 million euros, for bonuses linked to the achievement by the club and the player of certain sports objectives .

Alisson, who arrived in Rome in July 2016, has played 64 times in the Giallorossi between league and cups.

http://www.asroma.com/it/notizie/2018/07/alisson-ceduto-a-titolo-definitivo-al-liverpool

https://twitter.com/gffn/status/1020067959526608896?s=21

https://twitter.com/gffn/status/1020068805354106881?s=21

The journalist has now come out and said he is unsure if it’s for Hazard alone, might be for both Hazard and courtois

€190m? That'll punch a hole in RM's net spend ;)

€190m? That'll punch a hole in RM's net spend ;)

DiMarzio reporting that Real are meeting Hazards “Entourage” Saturday too, so looks like it has some legs anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

astradave wrote: »
    DiMarzio reporting that Real are meeting Hazards “Entourage” Saturday too, so looks like it has some legs anyways

Hazard seems like the type who would have an entourage. I’d say it’s a done deal based on that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Have a feeling Chelsea will sell Hazard & sign Zaha & Golovin.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Have a feeling Chelsea will sell Hazard & sign Zaha & Golovin.

I could see Golovin signing but Zaha isn't needed unless they plan on selling Willian.

They will find it very hard to replace Hazard if he is sold be a massive loss and he will most likely be replaced with an inferior player.
    Same with Coutouis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Chelsea's attack really would need a good seeing to if Hazard goes.

Morata? Who knows about him. Pedro's 31 in a week. Giroud's 32 in a couple of months and of debatable quality.

Willian is good, but won't get the volume of goals.

That leaves Batshuayi, who seemed to have a good season at Dortmund.

Other than Higuain, who have they been linked with? That'd hardly be a long term solution. More likely another Torres or Shevchenko than another Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Giroud has a particular type of job he is suited to and is of, imo, undoubted quality when doing it.

Pter wrote: »
    Giroud has a particular type of job he is suited to and is of, imo, undoubted quality when doing it.

He is, but that job isn't starting CF and chief goalscorer for a team that wins leagues though.

Gbear wrote: »
    He is, but that job isn't starting CF and chief goalscorer for a team that wins leagues though.

Just World Cups.

Pter wrote: »
    Just World Cups.

Cup competitions are a very different beast.

For one, I think teams are more conservative, so defence is more important, and you often find small numbers of goals can break games.
    The number of penalties and set piece goals was remarkable in the WC.

You need a volume of goals to smooth out the bumps in a 38 game season.
    Giroud didn't even have a shot on target in the WC.

He's a great option as backup or off the bench, but you need goals behind him, like Hazard provided, or Sanchez and co in his time at Arsenal. He has a particular role but it's additive to an already functioning attack, and not an effective attack in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

0 goals in WC. Extrapolate that out over a 38 game league season and you have 0 goals. Not a great return for a center forward it must be said.

Gbear wrote: »
    Cup competitions are a very different beast.

For one, I think teams are more conservative, so defence is more important, and you often find small numbers of goals can break games.
    The number of penalties and set piece goals was remarkable in the WC.

You need a volume of goals to smooth out the bumps in a 38 game season.
    Giroud didn't even have a shot on target in the WC.

He's a great option as backup or off the bench, but you need goals behind him, like Hazard provided, or Sanchez and co in his time at Arsenal. He has a particular role but it's additive to an already functioning attack, and not an effective attack in itself.

I understand your point but we can agree to disagree. My point was that he has quality, just in a certain role. I dont see you saying anything that contradicts that.
    fyfe79 wrote: »
    0 goals in WC. Extrapolate that out over a 38 game league season and you have 0 goals. Not a great return for a center forward it must be said.

:D can i see your workings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

1 World Cup winners medal in WC. Extrapolate that out over a 38 game league season and you have 1 Premier League medal. that's a great return for a center forward it must be said.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Roma have offered €35 million for Malcolm, somehow I don't think he'll be Everton bound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Roma have offered €35 million for Malcolm, somehow I don't think he'll be Everton bound.

I like the cut of his jib.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But Everton won 22-0 the other day. Why wouldn't he want to join them?

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1020266594289750016

"Rugani agent after meeting with Juventus: at the moment, no agreement with Chelsea".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Who on earth pays 12.5m for someones fourth choice who has never played a top flight game(i might be wrong with that bit)? Whats going on at leicester???

Leicester City have bought Liverpool's 3rd choice keeper Danny Ward for £12.5m and a 20% sell on clause.

https://twitter.com/LCFC/status/1020360247213547520/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

POKERKING wrote: »
    Who on earth pays 12.5m for someones fourth choice who has never played a top flight game(i might be wrong with that bit)? Whats going on at leicester???

Ward is HG. Thats always gunna set a price at min £10m-ish I'd say. Plus hes young for a GK so resale value/potential.

I mean Maddison moved for 22m, HG players have a guaranteed tax on any fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,195 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Ward played twice in the league back in 2015-16. But yeah a lot of money to pay on an untested keeper much the same way Southampton paid big bucks for Gunn.

Ward played twice in the league back in 2015-16. But yeah a lot of money to pay on an untested keeper much the same way Southampton paid big bucks for Gunn.

Yeah hes the other young lad I couldn't think off. Young Homegrown players will get stupid money alltogether.

Richarlison being linked with Everton. They'd not want to fire Silva anyway lest he go in another strop like he did last year after Silva left Watford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

pjohnson wrote: »
    Richarlison being linked with Everton. They'd not want to fire Silva anyway lest he go in another strop like he did last year after Silva left Watford!

50 million is the figure mentioned - insane - peoples game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

3 seasons ago Ward impressed with Aberdeen, the following season impressed again with Huddersfield in their promotion season. Last season he was recalled by Klopp but probably should have stayed with Huddersfield for PL experience - not the best plan to have him not even in the matchday squad at Liverpool.. I think he'll do well if he gets game time at Leicester - depends if Schmeichel is moving on.... Chelsea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

3 seasons ago Ward impressed with Aberdeen, the following season impressed again with Huddersfield in their promotion season. Last season he was recalled by Klopp but probably should have stayed with Huddersfield for PL experience - not the best plan to have him not even in the matchday squad at Liverpool.. I think he'll do well if he gets game time at Leicester - depends if Schmeichel is moving on.... Chelsea?

I’m not saying he’s a bad keeper but it’s insane money even in today’s climate.

As things stand he is second choice there, if scheimichael stays it’s awful business. Lee Grant could have done that job for free.

It only makes sense if Kaspar goes but even then it’s a huge gamble imo.

12,5 million is not a huge gamble for an established PL side, if it was they wouldn't have signed him.

I think people need to forget that the pre-Neymar era ever existed. It's a new world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think people need to forget that the pre-Neymar era ever existed. It's a new world

Does this not rattle the tits off anybody else?

Neymar did not sell the 220mill cause he was worth that he sold cause that was the buyout clause!!! Same way Messi has 700 Milion clause.......not worth it but that the premium you pay to get him instantly

Now people go around say well if neymar sold for X then {insert player} must be worth Y

thebaz wrote: »
    50 million is the figure mentioned - insane - peoples game ?

Zaha' s price tag probably 70-80m now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

racso1975 wrote: »
    Does this not rattle the tits off anybody else?

Neymar did not sell the 220mill cause he was worth that he sold cause that was the buyout clause!!! Same way Messi has 700 Milion clause.......not worth it but that the premium you pay to get him instantly

Now people go around say well if neymar sold for X then {insert player} must be worth Y

he sold at that price brcause psg wrre willing to pay it. People seem to underestimate how good he really is because of his playacting at the world cup. A thoroughly enjoyable player once he got on the ball,teams had to resort to hacking him down at every oppurtunity such was his threat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

12,5 million is not a huge gamble for an established PL side, if it was they wouldn't have signed him.

PL prices were going mad before Neymar moved because of added tv revenue

Pickford had 1 okay season for a relegated Sunderland and Everton signed him for 30m early last summer

Stones could do Cruyff turn as a cb but wasn't a fantastic defender and City signed him for 55m in 2016 with Chelsea putting in many high offers the summer before that

Everton really are showing how you don't run a football club.

Sigurdsson 50m
    Keane 30m
    Tosun 23m
    Klaasen 27m
    Pickford 30m
    Walcott 25m

last 2 not bad signings but overpriced

now Richardlison for 50m

It is complete mismanagement of the transfer market.

It's classic keeping up with the Joneses, while a bit tipsy.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Everton really are showing how you don't run a football club.

Sigurdsson 50m
    Keane 30m
    Tosun 23m
    Klaasen 27m
    Pickford 30m
    Walcott 25m

last 2 not bad signings but overpriced

now Richardlison for 50m

It is complete mismanagement of the transfer market.

But isn't everyone overpriced now or does that only matter for some clubs ?

Advertisement