Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Richardlison and Siggy for 100m is eye-watering, that's almost Mane, Salah and Firmino or one Gareth Bale/Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

yabadabado wrote: »
    But isn't everyone overpriced now or does that only matter for some clubs ?

Seems so, not too long ago Oxlaid Chamberlain cost 40m pmsl. All gone crazy unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

PL prices were going mad before Neymar moved because of added tv revenue

Pickford had 1 okay season for a relegated Sunderland and Everton signed him for 30m early last summer

Stones could do Cruyff turn as a cb but wasn't a fantastic defender and City signed him for 55m in 2016 with Chelsea putting in many high offers the summer before that

In season 2016-17 Everton generated £131 million through tv revenue, Leicester city £121m plus another £70 million in champions league revenue. When you consider that for the whole of that season Everton raised £14 million through ticket sales and Leicester £16m its not hard to see what is the most important revenue stream for clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MD1990 wrote: »
    Everton really are showing how you don't run a football club.

Sigurdsson 50m
    Keane 30m
    Tosun 23m
    Klaasen 27m
    Pickford 30m
    Walcott 25m

last 2 not bad signings but overpriced

now Richardlison for 50m

It is complete mismanagement of the transfer market.

Honestly I think most of their signings in isolation were decent. The problem is that they haven't been knitted together into a functioning team. Having Tom Davies as a great young number 10, and then bringing in Rooney, and Sigurdsson, and Klaasen, all who want to occupy the same space on the field.

Think all of Walcott, Tosun and Pickford (for his quick distribution) are good guys to play with one of the above 10's though (aside from Rooney who's obviously already gone). Add Richarlison, and you very quickly have the setup of a team that could do quite well with Silva's style. I would say he's going for 10 million more than he's worth, but hey, if there's anyone you should trust to know what he's capable of and what he adds, its Silva.

----Idrissa Gueye--McCarthy
    Sigurdsson
    ----Walcott
    Richarlison
    Tosun

That's a very solid midfield and front 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Atletico Madrid want Giroud on loan but Chelsea want an option to buy clause in any deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Liamalone wrote: »
    Seems so, not too long ago Oxlaid Chamberlain cost 40m pmsl. All gone crazy unfortunately :(

Chamberlain is young, 30+ England caps and scored vital goals for Liverpool last season in big games like twice against City. Fee was £35 million and that's because Chelsea were also bidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Richardlison and Siggy for 100m is eye-watering, that's almost Mane, Salah and Firmino or one Gareth Bale/Ronaldo

But arent all those players you are comparing Sigi and Richardlison to pre Neymer deal ,which is seen as some watershed when discussing what teams are now paying ?

One club signs someone it's overpriced, another club signs a player and it's just the way things are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Sigurdsson 50m
    Keane 30m
    Tosun 23m
    Klaasen 27m
    Pickford 30m
    Walcott 25m

now Richardlison for 50m

Don't understand why you've added 5m to most of them fees but whatever helps you sleep I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's all kicking off

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1020431923917852673
    Aleksandr Golovin will join AS Monaco

Kante to PSG (if sales allow)

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1020428931134992384

Benzema to Milan maybe

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1020425752116940806

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thought Milan were broke?....again.

Standard Italian loan with an option to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus what's going on at Chelsea? Courtious and Hazard linked to Madrid, Kante to PSG, Willian linked to Barca.

If they lose those four they'd struggle to get Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Thought Milan were broke?....again.

Standard Italian loan with an option to buy?

Well i saw the CAS founded for them against the FFP sanctions so that could have freed up something, i know that they are allowed play in Europe in the coming season so that means projected income so they could be using that as collatoral

Richarlison - 50m for an attacker with no goals or assists in his last 23 games.

Solid buy from Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Richarlison - 50m for an attacker with no goals or assists in his last 23 games.

Solid buy from Everton.

https://twitter.com/MirrorDarren/status/1020376959946297345?s=20

Makes a lot more sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Solid buy from Everton.

its 50 million with add-ons - then again Alisson is hardly worth 60 million - the whole thing is just mad - James McClean for 5 mill seams decent value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I think he has great potential ,but 50 mill is insane when he ain't had one great season yet,

Alisson is Brazil's no1 , this kid is nowhere near the Brazil squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

It's 35m. Mad money but Liverpool spent nearly double that on a keeper with one good season behind him who they knocked 7 goals past in two games.

It reminds me of the Andy Carroll signing Liverpool made a few years ago. Panic buying. Even Carroll had better form though when signed. Huge gamble by Everton. I'm assuming it's a good chunk of their budget.

It reminds me of the Andy Carroll signing Liverpool made a few years ago. Panic buying. Even Carroll had better form though when signed. Huge gamble by Everton. I'm assuming it's a good chunk of their budget.

Silva probably thinks he can get him back to his best,he was very good when the two of them were at Watford.
    I dont think it's a panic buy but is a gamble .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sigurdsson 50m
    Keane 30m
    Tosun 23m
    Klaasen 27m
    Pickford 30m
    Walcott 25m

now Richardlison for 50m

Klaasen was cast aside by Big Sam, came back into the squad at the end of the season, I thought he looked decent earlier on in the season but with Rooney there any pace was negated. I'd like to see him get a consistent run.

Tosun has only been there since January and has settled pretty well in fairness to him. 23m might not be bad at all for him

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Klaasen was cast aside by Big Sam, came back into the squad at the end of the season, I thought he looked decent earlier on in the season but with Rooney there any pace was negated. I'd like to see him get a consistent run.

Tosun has only been there since January and has settled pretty well in fairness to him. 23m might not be bad at all for him

Don't be talking sense ,it doesn't help the OP having a dig at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Solid buy from Everton.

I watched Richarlison a lot more than I would care to admit last season as a result of Fantasy Premier League.

I’d urge caution on writing him off based on the no goals and assists thing. Every time I saw him he was still getting into great positions and his underlying stats were continually very good. He was extremely unlucky a large number of times with superb saves from goalkeepers and teammates missing excellent chances he provided.

I think he wil end up doing very well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Richarlison is a very decent player and a bit unlucky with the way the stats portray him, but he's not a £50m player. The more these high fees get explained away by 'it's the market etc' the more the ridiculous will become the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

eh i dunno wrote: »
    It's 35m. Mad money but Liverpool spent nearly double that on a keeper with one good season behind him who they knocked 7 goals past in two games.

And they put 9 past ederson. Does that make him a dodgy keeper now?

rob316 wrote: »
    And they put 9 past ederson. Does that make him a dodgy keeper now?

9 isn't bad when you consider he was only half the price :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Be nice if there was some actual transfer news, not this petty 'we don't sign bad players like you' argument going on, which I appreciate was started by Liverpool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It's strange how little activity there has been since the World Cup. I understand that a lot of players are still on their break but there's only a few weeks left for Premier League sides to get their stuff in order and there's 5/6 teams who need quite a considerable injection of talent and numbers.

Liverpool, Arsenal and West Ham all went and did a lot of their business quite early but that's not the case for quite a few other sides. Brighton, Huddersfield, Leicester, Watford and Southampton have all done a bit too but you would expect a lot more movement from Bournemouth, Palace, Everton, Chelsea and Spurs anyway.

Anyway, speculation on my part here but Danny Ings isn't in Liverpools squad for the US pre season tour. Would expect his Southampton move to be completed very soon as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sigurdsson 50m
    Keane 30m
    Tosun 23m
    Klaasen 27m
    Pickford 30m
    Walcott 25m

now Richardlison for 50m

Not a single one of the figures in that list is accurate!

Sigurdsson 43m
    Keane 25m (possibly rising to 30m)
    Tosun 27m
    Klaasen 23.6m
    Pickford 25m (possibly rising to 30m)
    Walcott 20m

now Richardlison for 35m, possibly rising to near 50m

As an Everton supporter, I'd only want 2 refunded!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Not a single one of the figures in that list is accurate!

Sigurdsson 43m
    Keane 25m (possibly rising to 30m)
    Tosun 27m
    Klaasen 23.6m
    Pickford 25m (possibly rising to 30m)
    Walcott 20m

now Richardlison for 35m, possibly rising to near 50m

As an Everton supporter, I'd only want 2 refunded!

Are your fees in £? If so it looks like MD has shown €

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Are your fees in £? If so it looks like MD has shown €

Yes mine were in £
    If converted to €, MD is still close to 30m off cumulatively over the 7 transfers on the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

It's strange how little activity there has been since the World Cup. I understand that a lot of players are still on their break but there's only a few weeks left for Premier League sides to get their stuff in order and there's 5/6 teams who need quite a considerable injection of talent and numbers.

Liverpool, Arsenal and West Ham all went and did a lot of their business quite early but that's not the case for quite a few other sides. Brighton, Huddersfield, Leicester, Watford and Southampton have all done a bit too but you would expect a lot more movement from Bournemouth, Palace, Everton, Chelsea and Spurs anyway.

Anyway, speculation on my part here but Danny Ings isn't in Liverpools squad for the US pre season tour. Would expect his Southampton move to be completed very soon as such.

Check out fulhams squad they be lucky to fill a tewm!! Lots of work to do for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Burnley still struggling to sign players . Could be a very tough year for them especially if they make the EL group stages.

Going to be really interesting to see how Burnley handle the extra games actually. Part of their strength last season was in having such a close-knit group that started together in most games. Europe means more games which means rotation will be necessary so you'd wonder will that impact their form.

Dyche maintains he's unfazed by the lack of activity but there are reports of moves for Craig Dawson, Jay Rodriguez, Alfie Mawson and Sam Clucas (all linked by Sky at least) so there's likely to be some interest in adding something to the squad.

Keeping the likes of Pope, Tarkowski and Defour should be the priority but unless they add least one or two players, I'd imagine they'll struggle. I wonder are they waiting until after the Europa qualifier to see if they'll need it? I mean, lose to Aberdeen and the current squad can probably handle the rigours of the season and aim for the top half again. Beat them and it's a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Be nice if there was some actual transfer news, not this petty 'we don't sign bad players like you' argument going on, which I appreciate was started by Liverpool fans.

Who said they were bad?

Richardlison is a good player. But Everton are paying about 25m too much. Very poor way to run a football club.
    They bought players with no pace last summer 3 AM's.

As a result they have been unable to buy many players his summer as they need to get rid of deadwood first.

Tosun is another decent player but again another player with no pace.

They still have Sandro,Niasse,Bolasie all in the squad who may have no future.

They are also selling Lookman to Leipzig. Better player than Calvert Lewin.

Selling Ademola Lookman would be a strange one. He looks like a very talented footballer.

Everton do need to cut a few players from the squad for sure. I feel like they have the basis of a very good side but you can easily pick out 4/5 players who could go and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to the rest of the squad. Mirallas, Martina, Sandro, Klassen, Besic, McCarthy... Hard to see many of those making an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Who said they were bad?

Richardlison is a good player. But Everton are paying about 25m too much. Very poor way to run a football club.

As a result they have been unable to buy many players his summer as they need to get rid of deadwood first.

Liverpool and every other club has well over paid for plenty of players too, it's normal. This time next year we could be talking about wasting millions on Fabinho or Alisson you never know.

Who said they were bad?

Pure bull**** ,for some clubs it's overpaying and for others it's just the way of the world.

The double standards here is brutal and looks to be purely for some sort of one upmanship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Over paying on proven quality is one thing but over paying on potential is another. I think Richardlison is still at the "potential" stage of his career but who knows if he develops right that 50M might seem perfectly reasonable in a few years.

If it's true I'm surprised Everton are selling Lookman though. Always been impressed with him even in the brief chances he got at Everton before going to Leipzig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£40/50m is just the new £15/20m.

In 3 or 4 seasons £75/100m will be the norm for players until the tv bubble goes bust and that won't happen for a while when the streaming big boys join in.

Amazon are just testing the waters now.

Wait till Amazon or Facebook or Google actually buy a club and pump money into it.

Liverpool and every other club has well over paid for plenty of players too, it's normal. This time next year we could be talking about wasting millions on Fabinho or Alisson you never know.
    Pure bull**** ,for some clubs it's overpaying and for others it's just the way of the world.

The double standards here is brutal and looks to be purely for some sort of one upmanship

Of course many clubs are overpaying.

But I prefer overpaying for a proven CL players like Alisson & Brazil's #1 above Ederson.

Than overpay for a talented player like Ricardlison who has not scored in 23 games.

If anything it was a good time to target him while he was off form but looks like the previous Silva saga back before Sam was appointed(another mistake by the club) has cost the club about 20m.

Speaks for itself that Everton are being run very poorly but under Silva they should improve next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Proven is a little bit of a stretch when it comes to the goalkeeper tbf.

Hes only really established himself in the Roma team only getting the chance as szezeney left for Juventus. Only made his serie A debut last year if I'm not mistaken. So he's had a year of being Roma number 1, hardly proven

Bad player to use an example given he just has the one season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

31 caps for Brazil.

3 league titles with Internactional

Best keeper in CL last season. That is pretty proven to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

31 caps for Brazil.

Always good to know where the bar is I suppose.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

31 caps for Brazil.

Proven player bar is set fairly low I see.
    Sub keeper in 2 out of the 3 years.

You really could have used a better example.
    He has had one season as first choice in a major league.To me he has shown massive potential but aint proven yet.

What was the bar for the previous World Record price for a keeper in Ederson one season in a second rate league and 1 international cap which he got after his record move and hasn't been able to displace the new record holder in the international team.

Proven player bar is set fairly low I see.
    Sub keeper in 2 out of the 3 years.

You really could have used a better example.
    He has had one season as first choice in a major league.To me he has shown massive potential but aint proven yet.

He's only been at Roma two seasons? And Szcchney (can't spell that) was superb the year he joined so he was never going to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

What was the bar for the previous World Record price for a keeper in Ederson one season in a second rate league and 1 international cap.

When ederson signed he wasn't considered one of the best though? He also went for half the price.

He's gone on to prove himself to be worth the money, personally I hope Allison does as well but he's far from proven only having one good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Richarlison deal is “only” £35m potentially rising to £50m. Many of those clauses will probably never be met. We’ll never know anyway, but I’d be astonished if Everton ever ended up parting with the full £50m. £40m-ish would be far more likely.

These “rising to” fees are a nice way for clubs to keep fans happy. Watford and fans having a go get to say it’s £50m and lose the run of themselves a bit over the fee.

The truth, as always, is closer to somewhere in the middle.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He's only been at Roma two seasons? And Szcchney (can't spell that) was superb the year he joined so he was never going to replace him.

I think you are agreeing with the point I was making.

SeanHarty wrote: »
    When ederson signed he wasn't considered one of the best though? He also went for half the price.

He's gone on to prove himself to be worth the money, personally I hope Allison does as well but he's far from proven only having one good season.

Lol only half the price and it was a mind blowing transfer fee for a keeper at the time.

Of course he was rated otherwise there wouldn't have been a world record price paid for him.

Also the highlighted part does one season now really prove it what if the next 5 years are sh1t?

Surely that can only be judged at the end of his contract.

I think Alisson will be a success at Liverpool. Is *£56m a crazy price to pay for any player yes it is however this is the modern day transfer market.

*£56m is the price Liverpool are paying the rest is add-ons just like Richarlison isn't going for £50m he is going for £35m and add-ons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement