Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What was the bar for the previous World Record price for a keeper in Ederson one season in a second rate league and 1 international cap which he got after his record move and hasn't been able to displace the new record holder in the international team.

Don't think anybody mentioned him did they? Or said he was proven to be more accurate

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

He wasn't really rated that highly though I remember a lot of people raising eyebrows when they saw city signed him.

And yes he has proved to be worth the money he has come into a new league and been one of the best keepers in the league, only GK id even put in the same sentence as him is DeGea.

Both I think would fetch more than Allison if they were to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

SeanHarty wrote: »
    He wasn't really rated that highly though I remember a lot of people raising eyebrows when they saw city signed him.

And yes he has proved to be worth the money he has come into a new league and been one of the best keepers in the league, only GK id even put in the same sentence as him is DeGea.

Both I think would fetch more than Allison if they were to leave.

DeGea would go for £100m no problem at all I don't think Ederson would for any more than Alisson even now.

Courtois would be going for a world record fee to Madrid if he had more than 1 year left on his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

So basically we agree?

Dlifference between Allison and the rest though is the rest are proven...

Not saying any of them are worth the money because their not but it's a much bigger risk on Allison than would be on the rest.

That being said it can only be an improvement on what liverpool have.

SeanHarty wrote: »
    So basically we agree?

Dlifference between Allison and the rest though is the rest are proven...

Not saying any of them are worth the money because their not but it's a much bigger risk on Allison than would be on the rest.

That being said it can only be an improvement on what liverpool have.

Ederson wasn’t proven when he went for a world record fee and I’d still question if he was worth it he made quiet a few mistakes last season.

Cities attack won the league last season not the goalkeeper or defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

A lot of touchy folks in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Ederson wasn’t proven when he went for a world record fee and I’d still question if he was worth it he made quiet a few mistakes last season.

You don't understand Ederson or City if you're questioning whether he was worth it. He has been their best signing since De Bruyne and completely invaluable to that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

A lot of touchy folks in here

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Still no news re max Meyer, apparently burnt his bridges at Schalke and is a free agent. He’d be a good addition to the likes of Arsenal imo.

• Advertisement

Still no news re max Meyer, apparently burnt his bridges at Schalke and is a free agent. He’d be a good addition to the likes of Arsenal imo.

I read yesterday that Arsenal and Liverpool won't touch him due to his crazy wage demands.

He went for €40m, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Paully D wrote: »
    The Richarlison deal is “only” £35m potentially rising to £50m. Many of those clauses will probably never be met. We’ll never know anyway, but I’d be astonished if Everton ever ended up parting with the full £50m. £40m-ish would be far more likely.

These “rising to” fees are a nice way for clubs to keep fans happy. Watford and fans having a go get to say it’s £50m and lose the run of themselves a bit over the fee.

The truth, as always, is closer to somewhere in the middle.

Its like when United signed Martial for 80m, when it was 35m rising to 80m with clauses like winning the Ballon D’or and if he turned out that good they’d be happy to pay the bonuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Word is there's some compensation in the Richarlison fee for the "unsettling" of Silva last year. I'm an Everton fan and tbh the fee doesn't bother me. Silva wants the player and the board are going out to get him. He'll improve us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I read yesterday that Arsenal and Liverpool won't touch him due to his crazy wage demands.

Seems weird that would be the reason, I bet he wasn't on more than 40k-50k at Schalke 04, any top 6 PL side could pay him 100k without blinking.

Richarlison deal agreed (quell surprise!)
    Everton have agreed a £44million deal with Watford for winger Richarlison.
    The 21-year-old Brazilian will undergo a medical on Monday after the clubs finalised terms on Saturday.
    The fee for Richarlison will represent an incredible profit for Watford who paid just £11.5million to Fluminense last summer.

Everton have agreed a fee for Richarlison from Watford in a deal worth up to £44million

Talks over a deal took shape in London on Thursday after Watford showed initial resistance to sell to the Goodison Park club following their pursuit of Watford's former manager Marco Silva.

Richarlison, who attracted interest from Chelsea and Tottenham earlier last season, was left out of Watford's friendly with Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday as he finalised terms with Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Am I the only one who thinks the Richarlison transfer isn’t that big relative to transfers have gone?

Transfer fees have been flying up in recent years and people are still comparing them to like they were in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think a lot of it is because he didn't register an assist or a goal for the majority of the season. He's a very decent player but I think it's a fair enough criticism in relation to a potential high fee. I think improving a team these days seems to have no boundary of what might be 'too much', instead high fees are fine because a player would 'improve' the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Corholio wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is because he didn't register an assist or a goal for the majority of the season. He's a very decent player but I think it's a fair enough criticism in relation to a potential high fee. I think improving a team these days seems to have no boundary of what might be 'too much', instead high fees are fine because a player would 'improve' the team.

Richarlison your talking about right?He got 5 goals and 8 assists. He contributed alot.

Conceded 27 goals and conceded the least in the league last season ,and racked up 16 clean sheets , your crazy to think the defence didnt help win the league .
    Ederson been an unbelievable signing.

Richarlison your talking about right?He got 5 goals and 8 assists. He contributed alot.

The whole sentence included 'for the majority of the season'. He scored those 5 goals in the first 12 games and didn't score another for the entire rest of the campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Selling Ademola Lookman would be a strange one. He looks like a very talented footballer.

Everton do need to cut a few players from the squad for sure. I feel like they have the basis of a very good side but you can easily pick out 4/5 players who could go and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to the rest of the squad. Mirallas, Martina, Sandro, Klassen, Besic, McCarthy... Hard to see many of those making an impact.

As surprised as you would be with Lookman going, I'd be even more surprised that other PL clubs wouldn't jump in and take a punt on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Conceded 27 goals and conceded the least in the league last season ,and racked up 16 clean sheets , your crazy to think the defence didnt help win the league .
    Ederson been an unbelievable signing.
    Agreed. Second highest number of clean sheets in the league after utd, IIRC. Wasn't Ederson in the running for the Golden Gloves award up to the final weekend of the season (he didn't play at Southampton, I think)? In the end we finished with two fewer clean sheets than utd, who were praised for having an excellent defensive unit. Ludicrous to suggest the defence didn't get a huge upgrade with Ederson's arrival. It cannot be overstated how much of a lift a defence gets from having a decent 'keeper behind it. Liverpool will discover that this coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

blueser wrote: »
    Agreed. Second highest number of clean sheets in the league after utd, IIRC. Wasn't Ederson in the running for the Golden Gloves award up to the final weekend of the season (he didn't play at Southampton, I think)? In the end we finished with two fewer clean sheets than utd, who were praised for having an excellent defensive unit. Ludicrous to suggest the defence didn't get a huge upgrade with Ederson's arrival. It cannot be overstated how much of a lift a defence gets from having a decent 'keeper behind it. Liverpool will discover that this coming season.

I think you kept more clean sheets and conceded less last season because you were keeping the ball so well and keeping the opposition penned in.

There was a few games last year where you could have not played a keeper and the other team still wouldn't have scored against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think you kept more clean sheets and conceded less last season because you were keeping the ball so well and keeping the opposition penned in.

There was a few games last year where you could have not played a keeper and the other team still wouldn't have scored against you.
    You raise a valid point. However, I still maintain that Ederson (along with the FBs) were pivotal signings for us. Compare Bravo/Sagna/Kolarov/Clichy/an aging Zabba to Ederson/Walker/Mendy/Danilo.

Can anyone clarify the transfer rules suppose a club in the PL wanted to get a loan player in from abroad would that have to be done by the new cut off date?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

The very same could of been said for the season before but every shot on target went in. There was a stage in the season that year when 15 of the previous 19 shots on target were goals.

Only one person to blame for a stat like that, the goalkeeper.

Corholio wrote: »
    The whole sentence included 'for the majority of the season'. He scored those 5 goals in the first 12 games and didn't score another for the entire rest of the campaign.

Why are you not acknowledging the assists,every time I watched him he was good.

You raise a valid point. However, I still maintain that Ederson (along with the FBs) were pivotal signings for us. Compare Bravo/Sagna/Kolarov/Clichy/an aging Zabba to Ederson/Walker/Mendy/Danilo.

You forgot Navas ,fun times.

As a United fan currently I am disappointed with the business so far. Fred seems a good acquisition, and Dalot could be anything but is highly rated (injured till September anyway)

Thought there would be more movement for the pretty obvious places that need improvement. Still, I am disappointed but not yet despondent. There is still time to get a couple in but even now they won't get a full pre season with their new teammates which is not ideal and only exasperated by the players missing due to the WC.

Seems to me that things have not gone to plan but maybe Jose looks at it differently to me, maybe he is happy to go with what he has. That would be a big call and his United future hinges on it, personally I wouldn't be staking my own future on Mata on the right wing, Valencia at RB and Young at LB.

A back up for Lukaku is surely still being sought or at least considered, to leave yourself an injury away from having no focal point or no genuine goalscorer is pretty poor planning. The players are there to step in if he does go down but it would involve a change of style/system which isn't really on the cards. Hopefully we see a couple more additions anyway, I think full backs who can get by their man and put in good delivery or at least draw defenders toward them as a legitimate threat(!)

I'd still be prioritising a right sided attacker and a left back, can deal with Valencia once he is not the sole creative force on the right wing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

As a United fan currently I am disappointed with the business so far. Fred seems a good acquisition, and Dalot could be anything but is highly rated (injured till September anyway)

We also signed Lee Grant tbf :D

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    We also signed Lee Grant tbf :D

Very true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just came across this table that shows save percentages over shots faced last season for keepers.

https://i.redd.it/lil7dc30rfb11.jpg

Looks like Ederson has just under a 67% (?) save rate while facing the lowest amount of shots on goal per game (just over 2) of all the keepers selected.

If we could find the prior year table it'd be interesting to compare Bravo.

Also look at DDG. He faced a huge amount of shots last season (average of four per game) and has a very high save percentage only beaten by Oblak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Just came across this table that shows save percentages over shots faced last season for keepers.

Looks like Ederson has just under a 67% (?) save rate while facing the lowest amount of shots on goal per game (just over 2) of all the keepers selected.

Also look at DDG. He faced a huge amount of shots last season (average of four per game) and has a very high save percentage only beaten by Oblak.

You are underestimating his distribution too. He is obviously comfortable aying out from back but his long kicking accuracy is incredible, if teams penned us back hed kick it long, unlucky not to have a few assists and got one in the league cup final. I wouldnt swap him for anyone in the world he is best keeper for city(not say he is the best around but the best for our needs). His signing was pivotal to city winning the league as is Allison to give Liverpool a chance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

City generally face a different type of shot , give up a better standard of chance to score compared to utd though. Due to the way both teams attack/defend. Bravo is much the same as mignolet/karius just won't bail you out when needed. Ederson has done that for City and that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Thought there would be more movement for the pretty obvious places that need improvement. Still, I am disappointed but not yet despondent. There is still time to get a couple in but even now they won't get a full pre season with their new teammates which is not ideal and only exasperated by the players missing due to the WC.

Seems to me that things have not gone to plan but maybe Jose looks at it differently to me, maybe he is happy to go with what he has. That would be a big call and his United future hinges on it, personally I wouldn't be staking my own future on Mata on the right wing, Valencia at RB and Young at LB.

A back up for Lukaku is surely still being sought or at least considered, to leave yourself an injury away from having no focal point or no genuine goalscorer is pretty poor planning. The players are there to step in if he does go down but it would involve a change of style/system which isn't really on the cards. Hopefully we see a couple more additions anyway, I think full backs who can get by their man and put in good delivery or at least draw defenders toward them as a legitimate threat(!)

I'd still be prioritising a right sided attacker and a left back, can deal with Valencia once he is not the sole creative force on the right wing.

Would you take Hernandez as backup to Lukaku?

Pjanic on the streets of.....? Juventus are seeking to have a low net spend summer by offloading a player they really need to keep

Spurs, Fulham and Palace after Grealish, the latter two also linked with Schurle who has left BVB summer tour.

Finally Kovacic seeking exit having talked with incoming RM coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It's good to see Fulham linked with bringing in... *insert player name of any half decent player*

Why are you not acknowledging the assists,every time I watched him he was good.

I already said he was good. I just don't think he is worth that in regards to his season return overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

James McClean has completed his move to Stoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

James McClean has completed his move to Stoke.

given todays over inflated transfers - good move from Stoke

ps Probably first time I have paid stoke a compliment , but my tip to go up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Can anyone clarify the transfer rules suppose a club in the PL wanted to get a loan player in from abroad would that have to be done by the new cut off date?

why would it be any different now?

https://twitter.com/TimNash_1/status/1021144139612770306
    I'm being told that Monaco midfielder Joao Moutinho, 31, is set to sign for @Wolves

https://twitter.com/TimNash_1/status/1021147300062793728
    @Wolves are also in pole position to sign @Boro winger Adama Traore

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1021147108295020545
    Jose Mourinho told he must sell before he can make £65million Harry Maguire move (another 10m since this afternoon!)

The richest club in the world have to sell before they buy?

Something seriously off there if that is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Surely that price tag is just another tabloid pisstake trying to drum up interest?

I’d find it very hard to believe any team on the planet would bid anywhere near that amount for a player of that standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The richest club in the world have to sell before they buy?

Something seriously off there if that is true.

A load of middling players need to be gone from the wage bill. The squad is bloated and there's players taking up space who should be moved on.Nothing more dramatic than that.

• Advertisement

A load of middling players need to be gone from the wage bill. The squad is bloated and there's players taking up space who should be moved on.Nothing more dramatic than that.

So if you can’t get those players off the books Man U won’t be buying any players?

Wolves look like having a much better window than most rich PL clubs as things stand. Whether all the new blood can click quickly is the challenge there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

So if you can’t get those players off the books Man U won’t be buying any players?

I doubt it but Maguire coming in when we have Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo, Smalling and Jones would leave us a little top heavy on CBs. All of them would be on a decent wage aswell so id say the sell to buy is to clear out a cb

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

duffman13 wrote: »
    I doubt it but Maguire coming in when we have Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo, Smalling and Jones would leave us a little top heavy on CBs. All of them would be on a decent wage aswell so id say the sell to buy is to clear out a cb

Jose might be planning to go with a back 3.
    Young and Valencia probably better at WB than FB.

Wolves have a plan though - mainly Portuguese new players under a Portuguese manager so they will be culturally cohesive

• Advertisement
Advertisement