Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

Jose might be planning to go with a back 3.
    Young and Valencia probably better at WB than FB.

Or he could be buying Maguire to play a holding role in front of Matic and Fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Or he could be buying Maguire to play a holding role in front of Matic and Fred.

tumbleweed.jpg?quality=85

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s a good point, Fellaini would be more effective in that role.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That’s a good point, Fellaini would be more effective in that role.

Finally one that talks sense!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Chelsea's board turn down Barcas bid for Willian they're madder than I thought they were.

Hopefully he pushes for the move himself anyway and gets the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Martial out the door and the country?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/23/jose-mourinho-anthony-martial-transfer-manchester-united
    José Mourinho will only consider selling Anthony Martial for the right fee, with Manchester United’s manager preferring that the Frenchman move to a club outside the Premier League rather than to a direct rival.

Mourinho had been minded not to allow the forward to depart but has shifted his stance. The Portuguese has reluctantly decided that if Martial does not wish to play for United then his leaving the club should at least be explored.

Monaco could make good use of him.

I'd take him at Chelsea in a heart beat but cant see Jose selling him to Chelsea at all costs.

Martial out the door and the country?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/23/jose-mourinho-anthony-martial-transfer-manchester-united

Monaco could make good use of him.

Doubt they would pay the fee required to get him though, or any club really for that matter. Could see him offloaded cheaper to a team outside of England but sill the club are gonna look for 65-80 million there so it's doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd take him at Chelsea in a heart beat but cant see Jose selling him to Chelsea at all costs.

I'd take him at Liverpool as well. Always thought he was a good player and has serious potential.

He wouldn't be starting but he'd be the first attacking change without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

He's got the talent but his attitude is poor. He looks like a kid who was forced to turn pro but never loved the game or something. Needs to find a team that suits his style and a manager that can really get him going, being the main man in a smaller league might do him the world of good so Monaco was a good shout.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    He's got the talent but his attitude is poor. He looks like a kid who was forced to turn pro but never loved the game or something. Needs to find a team that suits his style and a manager that can really get him going, being the main man in a smaller league might do him the world of good so Monaco was a good shout.

Would he want to re-join Monaco though?

I mean if we bend Barca over the barrel for Willian, I'd be knocking down Utds door for Martial anyway, see what they say.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd take him at Liverpool as well. Always thought he was a good player and has serious potential.

He wouldn't be starting but he'd be the first attacking change without a doubt.

Given our options could be about to thin, he'd be 2nd choice LW, assuming praying Hazard stays.

2nd or 3rd choice CF depending on which CF stays.

1st choice RW, no matter what Willian does. :pac:

Would he want to re-join Monaco though?

I mean if we bend Barca over the barrel for Willian, I'd be knocking down Utds door for Martial anyway, see what they say.

Could just ask Barca to make the cheque out to us and we throw and other 20 million or so on top of it alright :)

He wouldn't be a rw though, pretty much failed everytimr he has been played there. Hell if he could do it he'd be first choice at united!

There's definitely a player in there but the mentality is a real issue. I'd hope he knuckles down at united but if not so be it.

Given our options could be about to thin, he'd be 2nd choice LW, assuming praying Hazard stays.

2nd or 3rd choice CF depending on which CF stays.

1st choice RW, no matter what Willian does. :pac:

He's best playing from the left.

Could just ask Barca to make the cheque out to us and we throw and other 20 million or so on top of it alright :)

He wouldn't be a rw though, pretty much failed everytimr he has been played there. Hell if he could do it he'd be first choice at united!

There's definitely a player in there but the mentality is a real issue. I'd hope he knuckles down at united but if not so be it.

Oh I know that, at this stage I just want Willian out the door with Chelsea. :o

I've no clue why Barca want a near 30 year old who runs around a bit and doesnt score or assist nearly as much as he should and all for near 65-70m, its madness.

Willian to Barcelona could well be the most inexplicable transfer of the summer if it happens for the money quoted. What system requires him and Dembele for a combined 180/190m quid!? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If Chelsea's board turn down Barcas bid for Willian they're madder than I thought they were.

Hopefully he pushes for the move himself anyway and gets the move.

They've an aging forward line while they've recently spent €300m on two wide attackers, but now they're looking at another, who'll also be over 30 at the start of the season.

It's one of the more bizarre things I've seen recently, but after the Paulinho situation, it seems Barca have just gone mental.

Willian is a fantastic grafter for a player of his talent. He could slot into a **** team and be their best player as easily as he'd slot into the best team in the world without skipping a beat. In this market, a 25 year old Willian might well be worth €70m, but at 30 years old, it's just awful business.

Some of Barca's transfers have seemed stupid to the point of suspicion. People were going on about money laundering over the Paulinho transfers, because intuitively it just seems fishy, and not because there's anything credibly suspicious about it.
    This is another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barca buy Paulinho for €40m this time last year then loan him back to a team in China less than a year after signing him.

They then offer €70m for Willian.

Money laundering through agents springs to mind if I was to have a wild guess however there is something very dodge going on.

Barca buy Paulinho for €40m this time last year then loan him back to a team in China less than a year after signing him.

They then offer €70m for Willian.

Money laundering through agents springs to mind.

What would the actual mechanism be for that?

Whose money is being laundered? Barca can't launder money they already have. It'd be in their accounts already, surely.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    They've an aging forward line while they've recently spent €300m on two wide attackers, but now they're looking at another, who'll also be over 30 at the start of the season.

It's one of the more bizarre things I've seen recently, but after the Paulinho situation, it seems Barca have just gone mental.

Willian is a fantastic grafter for a player of his talent. He could slot into a **** team and be their best player as easily as he'd slot into the best team in the world without skipping a beat. In this market, a 25 year old Willian might well be worth €70m, but at 30 years old, it's just awful business.

Some of Barca's transfers have seemed stupid to the point of suspicion. People were going on about money laundering over the Paulinho transfers, because intuitively it just seems fishy, and not because there's anything credibly suspicious about it.
    This is another one.

Its strange to say the least.

Chelsea fans cant believe our luck somebody is willing to pay mad money for Willian and hope the board sell him given his profile.

On the other hand, Barca fans are up in arms and dont want to waste money on him.

I've no doubt, as you said, Willian would work for pretty much any team on the planet but his return in the attacking 3rd is woeful to say the least, we've had some frustrating players over the years but I think Willian has been the biggest offenders in that regard.

I do hope that Willian pushes for the move or the board see sense and that doubling your money on a near 30 year old player is amazing, even in this market.

Whose money is being laundered? Barca can't launder money they already have. It'd be in their accounts already, surely.

Could be the Chinese companies trying to get their money out of China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

He's best playing from the left.

Not that he would come, but himself and Hazard having fairly fluid roles behind Morata could be interesting, Hazard likes to drift anyway and Martial always wants to come in off the wing... He'd be better than Pedro anyway who'll be our only other senior winger assuming Willian goes for mad money and Hazard stays (please).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,161 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Could be the Chinese companies trying to get their money out of China?

If a Chinese company is trying to get money out of China, why would they take £40M from Barcelona for a product they're taking back for free the following year. If they were trying to get money out of China it would've went the other way.

Quazzie wrote: »
    If a Chinese company is trying to get money out of China, why would they take £40M from Barcelona for a product they're taking back for free the following year. If they were trying to get money out of China it would've went the other way.

They sold Paulinho for £60m, bought him back for £40m.

£20m out of China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,161 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

They sold Paulinho for £60m, bought him back for £40m.

£20m out of China?

He's only going back on loan isn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's only going back on loan isn't he?

A loan with a mandatory purchase at a set fee at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The clubs have set prices on their books and accounts its all the money going through agents and second parties that’s where the issues would be for me.

We have seen from so many deals with 3rd party ownership etc that money is being throw across continents and jurisdictions without much involvement of the local tax authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1021394065257091072
    Breaking | Arsenal are actively seeking to negotiate Sevilla down from the €40m release clause & price that the Spanish side are demanding for Steven N'Zonzi, according to France Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Besiktas have announced Fabri has completed his move to Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Given the market 40m doesn't seem like a bad price for nzonzi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interesting developments with Malcom tonight. Was seemingly a slam dunk that he was heading to Roma but Bordeaux apparently are denying him authorisation to complete the move. As to why that is...

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1021496888267354113

He'll be a great signing wherever he ends up. Special talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Would presume that if Barca moved for Malcom, that'd put an end to their pursuit of Willian, too.

Interesting one!

Barca look like they're flailing around drunkenly.

Richarlison has completed his move according to reports. Everton to announce it tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Would presume that if Barca moved for Malcom, that'd put an end to their pursuit of Willian, too.

Interesting one!

Yup, they are saying they are unwilling to go any higher than their last bid that was rejected.

There is loads of Roma fans waiting for Malcom to land but he hasn’t got on a plane yet cause Barca bid :pac: great craic on twitter

Edit:

https://twitter.com/gffn/status/1021498590978600967?s=21

I do love a good gazumping even if Liverpool have been on the wrong end of more than a couple.

Speaking of whom, Klopp is throwing out all his old toys, not exactly bargain prices but Mike Edwards seems to have a skill for this sort of thing

Echo (The Telegraph throws Karius into the mix)
    There could be up to seven departures over the coming fortnight - potentially generating up to £100million in sales.

The Reds are open to offers for Origi, who has struggled to impress since returning from a loan spell at Wolfsburg.

Liverpool want 30million Euros (£27million) for the Belgium international with Valencia keen to secure his services.

Danny Ings, Marko Grujic, Sheyi Ojo, Lazar Markovic, Simon Mignolet and Pedro Chirivella are also expected to move on during the current window.

I do love a good gazumping even if Liverpool have been on the wrong end of more than a couple.

Speaking of whom, Klopp is throwing out all his old toys, not exactly bargain prices but Mike Edwards seems to have a skill for this sort of thing

Echo (The Telegraph throws Karius into the mix)

Definitely a briefing too, there is 5/6 places all reporting the exact same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Well he has had 3 weeks now to look over some players coming back, particularly Origi, Ojo and Markovic. Ings was always going to be allowed to leave, Migs too after Alisson joined. Chirivella always on the fringe, be surprised if we get much for him.

The only one on that list I'd even be hopeful of holding on to is Ings and, even then, I'd have no major qualms about him going.

He needs to play regularly and that won't happen at Liverpool. Not sure I'd be entirely comfortable with Ings and Origi going, leaving just Solanke, Sturridge and Shaqiri as back up to the front 3 but not sure Ings or Origi is the answer there either so...

I do think the suggestions in the Liverpool Echo that it would generate £100 million in transfer income is a little optimistic to say the least, though.

Even in the current market, £27m for Origi, £20m for Grujic, £7m for Markovic and £6-7m for Chirivella seems unlikely to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Even in the current market, £27m for Origi, £20m for Grujic, £7m for Markovic and £6-7m for Chirivella seems unlikely to me.

12million rated Danny ward says hi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Origi has one year left on his contract.

20m at the very most for him.

When Daly Blind goes for €16m Euro rising to 21m, it’s very likely that those players could get those fees, well 27m might be a bit much for Origi since he’s in the last year but they could get 15-20m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I agree that they arent worth it. But ive realised i havent a clue what players are worth anymore. I did not see danny ward going for 12 million after just three games of to flight football.

Ings has a couple of years but his injury record goes against his fee. Origi has loads of experience in the premier league france and germany but having a year left goes against his fee. Although ox was in a similar spot.

Fees these days seem to be based a lot on how much the buying club will need to pay in wages also. Even look at how much Southampton paid for long. Or how much everton are wasting compared to arsenal.

Player values are random right now.

Mr.H wrote: »
    I agree that they arent worth it. But ive realised i havent a clue what players are worth anymore. I did not see danny ward going for 12 million after just three games of to flight football.

Angus Gunn moved for 13.5 with zero top flight games. Homegrown status helped both aswell as their age.

Mr.H wrote: »
    12million rated Danny ward says hi

Touché.

:pac:

Can't say the owners are not releasing that coutinho money anyway! Some online fluff had it up this morning too that Liverpool have broken man city's calendar year record (that's a thing now apparently) for spending on transfer fees.

Fair going.

What do the pool fans think? Is that ye done for the window or is a replacement going to have to be brought in for the ox, lallana can't exactly be relied upon I'd imagine and with can gone too I'd be surprised if he doesn't look to bring in another body

Can't say the owners are not releasing that coutinho money anyway! Some online fluff had it up this morning too that Liverpool have broken man city's calendar year record (that's a thing now apparently) for spending on transfer fees.

Fair going.

What do the pool fans think? Is that ye done for the window or is a replacement going to have to be brought in for the ox, lallana can't exactly be relied upon I'd imagine and with can gone too I'd be surprised if he doesn't look to bring in another body

There's space in the squad for improvements but I expect that all of Liverpool's activity from this point will be in sales.

In terms of numbers, we are well-covered in most positions, really. I think an extra attacker would be useful - I just don't like Shaqiri, Solanke and Sturridge as the backup to the attackers as Solanke is still very raw and Sturridge still very injury prone - but, beyond that, I don't see much change.

There seems to be a bit of chatter on some forums that Lallana "can't be relied on" and I'm at a loss why. He missed last season through injury but that was a first for him. He's not an injury prone player and, sure, he may get injured again, but so might all of our players... With Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Fabinho and Keita all there, I just don't see where the extra bodies would fit.

It's hard to know what to make of some of Klopp's comments at times - he says Karius is number 1 and then signs Alisson, for e.g. - but he said last week we're done in the market and I think I'd be more surprised if we signed another player than if we didn't.

All this goes out the window if a big player leaves, of course, but I think this is it for the season and I'm mostly happy with that.

Fair going.

Still rumours of Fekir. Might not be done now but maybe in January.

Might bring in a older guy as backup keeper and let Karius go on loan to get out of the spotlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Leonardo Bonucci has told Gattuso he wants to leave A.C, Milan.

Where do we reckon he ends up?

He left Juventus last season because of problems with Allegri and stayed in Italy because his kid was very ill and recieving treatment in Milan.

His kid is on the mend now so he's free to move over seas.

Would be a damned fine addition to any team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Leonardo Bonucci has told Gattuso he wants to leave A.C, Milan.

Where do we reckon he ends up?

He left Juventus last season because of problems with Allegri and stayed in Italy because his kid was very ill and recieving treatment in Milan.

His kid is on the mend now so he's free to move over seas.

Would be a damned fine addition to any team.

Bonucci took big steps backwards last season. Any team looking to sign him better be committed to playing 3 at the back because he would be killed in a back 2.

Advertisement