Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Doesn't make too much sense putting him as a striker no? A quality forward surely has to be brought in to replace Ronaldo's goals.

Personally I think Asensio and Bale will be on the wings, both well able to alternate sides and a striker will be brought in. Mbappe the ideal guy but Cavani, Icardi or Lewandowski decent alternatives.

I can't see Bale leaving tbh, now is his big chance with a new manager in and the big man gone to Juve.

Yeah I don't think signing a CF will impact Bale at all. He should be a shoe in for the RW spot. Don't see Lopetegui sticking with Zidane's 442 either.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think signing a CF will impact Bale at all. He should be a shoe in for the RW spot. Don't see Lopetegui sticking with Zidane's 442 either.

He will play 433 more than likely, but the guy loves Isco so who’s going to be left out for him? Can see Asensio and Isco either side of Bale if a Striker isn’t bought. Either that or he breaks up probably the best midfield 3 in the world at the mo to put Isco in instead of Kroos/Modric..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then Martial out. PSG is often a home to expensive unwanteds, would they be able to find the money for him? Cavani was being touted with a move

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1022232774705442816

https://twitter.com/JamesRobsonMEN/status/1022234146838523904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Martial actually flew home for the birth of his kid. But clickbait gotta be put out.

So you think he's staying or just that this particular story is wrong?

So you think he's staying or just that this particular story is wrong?

Meh could go either way really but this "departure" story means shag all about his future at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He sounds like a good signig, sure, but I'm always wary of signings from the Eredivisie and how they will adapt to the EPL.

Boro signed a guy who was scoring more goals than Suarez was for a smaller team and yet he struggled to make an impact. Depay flattered to deceive despite the enormous outlay. There are a few others that spring to mind as well. There are success stories too but I think the gap seems to be getting bigger.

Big Jozy used to hit 90 a season over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mourinho is clearly going to leave after this season anyway, if he even lasts that long.

For that reason, it seems absolutely ridiculous to me to let him sell or alienate players like Martial.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Mourinho is clearly going to leave after this season anyway, if he even lasts that long.

For that reason, it seems absolutely ridiculous to me to let him sell or alienate players like Martial.

Martial is alienating himself by not giving a **** when he gets the chance.. he’s been given numerous chances and gives half hearted displays.. his agent doesn’t stop running his mouth either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

As expected really. CL v EL, Monaco v London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Martial out Willian in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Magic 8 ball ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Based on what generally when leaving a club he has moved to a bigger club, the only clubs he cracked up at are Chelsea and Madrid and I could be wrong but is he the longest serving manager of both clubs in recent years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Based on what generally when leaving a club he has moved to a bigger club, the only clubs he cracked up at are Chelsea and Madrid and I could be wrong but is he the longest serving manager of both clubs in recent years?

Chelsea and Madrid aren't really noted for standing by their managers though so no one lasts very long at either club.

Jose's previous management positions

Porto 2002-2004
    Chelsea 2004-2007
    Inter 2008-2010
    Madrid 2010-2013
    Chelsea 2013-2015
    United 2016-

He stays on average 3 years where ever he goes.

Porto to Chelsea was a step up, Inter to Madrid was a step up and I'd say Chelsea to United is a step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Chelsea and Madrid aren't really noted for standing by their managers though so no one lasts very long at either club.

Jose's previous management positions

Porto 2002-2004
    Chelsea 2004-2007
    Inter 2008-2010
    Madrid 2010-2013
    Chelsea 2013-2015
    United 2016-

He stays on average 3 years where ever he goes.

Porto to Chelsea was a step up, Inter to Madrid was a step up and I'd say Chelsea to United is a step up.

Exactly could Chelsea to inter have been a step up dominating the league but getting nowhere in Europe to then win a treble including the champions league.

The 3 year argument doesn't stand up when you actually look at the circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Exactly could Chelsea to inter have been a step up dominating the league but getting nowhere in Europe to then win a treble including the champions league.

The 3 year argument doesn't stand up when you actually look at the circumstances

It kind of does, sure he was stepping up leaving Porto and Inter, but the rest he had ran into the ground and lost either player or club support each time and/or the results had dried up. With City and Pool pushing on and supposedly now having 'his team' at Utd he'll be under pressure again this year.

Barry Douglas set to join Leeds apparently. I was looking forward to seeing him this year he seemed a crucial part to Wolves promotion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Saying Chelsea to United is a step up forgets he got sacked

Unemployed to United was a step up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Saying Chelsea to United is a step up forgets he got sacked

Unemployed to United was a step up

Same with Chelsea to Inter.

Real Madrid to Chelsea was another case of Madrid and the players being sick of him and Madrid happy enough to let him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What is going on at Chelsea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

They are preparing for life as a mid-table club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Replacing him with Higuian, Sarri knows him well.

We've sold nobody of note yet.

I do think Courtois will go and nobody else will follow him out the door.

Sarri, reportedly wnats to see all the players first, which is why Willian was kept, even though I think we're mad to keep him after Barca offering mental money for him :rolleyes:

If the Morata that started last year could perform for an entire season, we'll have a big asset, if its the Morata that misses chance after chance and falls over shows up, he'll be benched and Giroud or Michy will start a head of him. If Milan offered good money and Higuain wasnt the other option, I'd have no issue with Morata leaving.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Sarri, reportedly wnats to see all the players first, which is why Willian was kept, even though I think we're mad to keep him after Barca offering mental money for him :rolleyes:

If the Morata that started last year could perform for an entire season, we'll have a big asset, if its the Morata that misses chance after chance and falls over shows up, he'll be benched and Giroud or Michy will start a head of him. If Milan offered good money and Higuain wasnt the other option, I'd have no issue with Morata leaving.

It's more the lack of ins, haven't had a good window in a good while.

Had completely forgotten Michy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

they signed Rob Green yesterday - thought he'd retired years ago - last year linked with Peter Crouch - signing Drinkwater a year ago - cancelling new Stadium - Abramovic certainly seams to have lost interest

They are preparing for life as a mid-table club.

<checks posters history>

<Arsenal fan>

:pac:

There's been rumours of Courtois, Hazard and Morata wanting out. There was also a bid for Willian.

I don't think we've seen anything like that at Chelsea before and it looks like other clubs are getting word that everything isn't rosey over there and are trying to take advantage of that.

• Advertisement

It's more the lack of ins, haven't had a good window in a good while.

Had completely forgotten Michy

Pretty much the same squad ran away with the league 2 years ago.

We dont need that many players.

Chelsea have also never capitalised on winning the PL and oushing on with big signings.

It was a downfall for Jose MK I & II, Carlo and now Conte, a PL win has usually followed with a mediocre title defence.

We'll be grand this year, although I predict a 5th place finish, if we dont lose Hazard, which I'm very confident that we'll keep, we should be ok. Club is at a crossroads though, Sarri could be a success or he could be out on his ear by February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

<checks posters history>

<Arsenal fan>

:pac:

:p

I'm being serious though. Their actions this summer so far smack of a club trying to consolidate their position rather than kick on for a title push. The appointment of a perennial runner up as their coach. The wait and see, hope for a lucky break in the market kind of approach. But most importantly I'm saying this from the bitter experience of having gone through the same as an Arsenal fan :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Chelsea have such a bloated squad in some positions that they probably could push 4/5 players to the door and see no negative impact whatsoever.

Danny Drinkwater (and that will be a struggle if Chelsea are hoping to recoup their outlay), Ross Barkley and David Luiz (I genuinely thought he had left last season) for a start but it's hard to see Hector, Kalas, Miazga, Omeruo, Zouma, Piazon, Van Ginkel or Abraham making any impact this season.

Granted, that second group is likely to be loaned out but it's a really overstocked squad at present.

If Sarri switches to 4-3-3, you'd wonder for a few players too - Victor Moses doesn't have an obvious role in that system, for example.

There's more than enough talent in the squad to compete at the top end of the league but it does seem a little unfocused in terms of signings and sales the last season or two and pulling, say, Courtois and Willian or Hazard out (as has been rumoured) with just a few weeks to find replacements could be tricky.

That or they'll just unveil £200 million of talent in one presser on Friday, adding that Morata and the above lot have all been sold.

There's been rumours of Courtois, Hazard and Morata wanting out. There was also a bid for Willian.

I don't think we've seen anything like that at Chelsea before and it looks like other clubs are getting word that everything isn't rosey over there and are trying to take advantage of that.

Courtois was always going to end up at Madrid given his personal situation.

Hazard wont be sold.

Willian and Morata are no huge losses IMO, I think we missed a trick in not selling Willian given the numbers he puts up, 60m was an insane offer to turn down by Chelsea.

People already forgetting that Jorginho picked Chelsea over City?

I’d personally be upset if Morata was at the club next season, he doesn’t have the mentality of a top player and I don’t think he ever will

Chelsea have such a bloated squad in some positions that they probably could push 4/5 players to the door and see no negative impact whatsoever.

Danny Drinkwater (and that will be a struggle if Chelsea are hoping to recoup their outlay), Ross Barkley and David Luiz (I genuinely thought he had left last season) for a start but it's hard to see Hector, Kalas, Miazga, Omeruo, Zouma, Piazon, Van Ginkel or Abraham making any impact this season.

Granted, that second group is likely to be loaned out but it's a really overstocked squad at present.

If Sarri switches to 4-3-3, you'd wonder for a few players too - Victor Moses doesn't have an obvious role in that system, for example.

There's more than enough talent in the squad to compete at the top end of the league but it does seem a little unfocused in terms of signings and sales the last season or two and pulling, say, Courtois and Willian or Hazard out (as has been rumoured) with just a few weeks to find replacements could be tricky.

That or they'll just unveil £200 million of talent in one presser on Friday, adding that Morata and the above lot have all been sold.

We'll definitely be going to a 433.

I think we'll see plenty leave on loan or be sold in the coming 2 weeks too.

Barkley will likely feature in the 433, Drinkwater is one of the worst transfers we've completed, up there with Sidwell, was a complete waste of money.

Alonso and more likely Moses will suffer in the switch to a back 4.

Id ont think we'll go to mad in the market, we'll need a new GK for sure, we're still after Rugani apparently which would mean Cahill or Luiz, or both will be off. We might need a new CF if Morata is off too.

I'd guess our team for the first PL game will be something like

New GK

Azp Rudiger Christensen Alonso

Kante Jorginho Barkley

Pedro Morata Hazard

Doesnt suit the Chelsea in free fall narrative :pac:

That is to say, I dont think we'll finish top 4 but the sky is hardly falling.
    I’d personally be upset if Morata was at the club next season, he doesn’t have the mentality of a top player and I don’t think he ever will

Era I'm not sure, I think the 433 will suit him better, hes the best equipped CF at the club to play the system IMO.

Theres not many alternatives either out there and I dont want Higuain at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Courtois was always going to end up at Madrid given his personal situation.

Hazard wont be sold.

Willian and Morata are no huge losses IMO, I think we missed a trick in not selling Willian given the numbers he puts up, 60m was an insane offer to turn down by Chelsea.

Why do you think Hazard wont be sold?

He has basically said he wants off to Madrid.

Madrid have lost their talismanic player and love a good statement signing.

You boys have shown more than once ye are willing to let players go if the right bid comes in.

Did Chelsea not offer him more money than City?

• Advertisement

I don't know. We paid the same as City were offering. It could just be he wanted to work with Sarri again. He's getting paid considerably less than Kante and Fabregas so Chelsea aren't exactly paying through the nose for him.

You boys have shown more than once ye are willing to let players go if the right bid comes in.

I dont think he'll be sold for a few reasons but mainly Madrid wont pay the money Chelsea want.

I can see Courtois at Madrid alright but not Hazard, Madrids apparent interest in Lloris is a load of bo**ocks if I was a betting man they're trying to hurry up Chelsea who have no replacement lined up by all accounts.

I think we'll end up with someone like Butland, recently relegated and homegrown, so wont cost massive money.

He has basically said he'd be happy to stay too.

Madrid haven't shown any initiative to sign him and don't seem close to matching Chelsea's valuation.

Any examples of star players being sold? Typically what we've seen is players who are on the decline and around 30 getting sold for pretty large sums.

I reckon the Sarri effect was the biggest factor.

City were chasing him for far longer than we were and at the start of July, it looked nailed on that he'd end up at City.

Although Napolis mad president said something like Jorginho never wanted to go to City and choose London over Manchester, not hard to see why but the Sarri to Chelsea deal was known for some weeks before it happened so maybe Napoli used City to extract a few more Euro out of Chelsea, we seemed to get the deal done pretty quickly, which is strange for us in fairness. :o

He has basically said he'd be happy to stay too.

Madrid haven't shown any initiative to sign him and don't seem close to matching Chelsea's valuation.

Any examples of star players being sold? Typically what we've seen is players who are on the decline and around 30 getting sold for pretty large sums.

Or players who wanted out, Matic, Cech, Costa, Luis.

The last player we probably sold that could have stayed was Mata or Luiz when sold to PSG.

I don't know. We paid the same as City were offering. It could just be he wanted to work with Sarri again. He's getting paid considerably less than Kante and Fabregas so Chelsea aren't exactly paying through the nose for him.

Didn’t offer the same as City, Chelsea paid €65m for both Sarri & Jorginho with City only having bid €50m with €5m incentives.

The word was that Napoli told him they would make him see out his final 2 years of his contract if he didn’t join Chelsea as the package was the only way they would receive compensation for Sarri.

I’m sure it didn’t bother Jorginho a whole pile as he got his move to the Premier League but the general consensus was City was his first choice.

Either way, what a player he looks like he’ll be for Chelsea, watched the Perth game & don’t think he gave the ball away once (opposition aren’t great granted) & looked to want it all the time & barking out orders to team mates.

He will be Sarri’s representative out on the pitch, if Chelsea are to have a good season, it will depend a lot on him.

• Advertisement

In fairness I would say that Jorginho chose Sarri over Pep not Chelsea over city. He has worked with him before and knows he will go straight in as first choice with Kante..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I have been waiting for the mayhem that would follow on from Madrid looking to replace Ronaldo. Given the price for Neymar, Coutinho, Allisson etc I was expecting some eye watering transfers with no-one off limits.

I'm just wondering though, would doing nothing be the smartest thing for Madrid? It's not like Bale, Benzema, Isco, Arsenio etc are going to struggle in La Liga to make CL next year. They might even do a Saipan and be collectively better without Ronaldo glaring at them if he doesn't get the pass every time.

A Madrid refusal to invest would send shock waves through the market and a message to clubs and agents that maybe the only way isn't up. They could even stick their collective tongues in their cheeks and get all uppity about FFP. It might bring the market to it's senses and then they can step in next year and hoover up all the talent again. Worst case scenario they have a dead season but won't have bankrupted themselves chasing non-existent Galacticos.

(Now watch Madrid bid €500M for Messi).

Chelsea have only 14 days to replace Hazrd if they sell him. The transfer deadline is today fortnight. I would doubt it very much he will be sold unless something drastic happened from now to then but they aren’t even linked with a player of the same calibre as him.

Would have to take stupid money now at this stage for them to seek, Neymar money I’d imagine.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Didn’t offer the same as City, Chelsea paid €65m for both Sarri & Jorginho with City only having bid €50m with €5m incentives.

The word was that Napoli told him they would make him see out his final 2 years of his contract if he didn’t join Chelsea as the package was the only way they would receive compensation for Sarri.

I’m sure it didn’t bother Jorginho a whole pile as he got his move to the Premier League but the general consensus was City was his first choice.

Either way, what a player he looks like he’ll be for Chelsea, watched the Perth game & don’t think he gave the ball away once (opposition aren’t great granted) & looked to want it all the time & barking out orders to team mates.

He will be Sarri’s representative out on the pitch, if Chelsea are to have a good season, it will depend a lot on him.

Chelsea would have had to pay the €7m release clause for Sarri anyways. So you can deduct that sum from the figure outright.

We don't know how the deal is structured incentive wise either. And certainly the idea that City was choice between the two, isn't supported by the brief that City themselves pushed, which was they only want players who want to play for City.

Chelsea would have had to pay the €7m release clause for Sarri anyways. So you can deduct that sum from the figure outright.

We don't know how the deal is structured incentive wise either. And certainly the idea that City was choice between the two, isn't supported by the brief that City themselves pushed, which was they only want players who want to play for City.

They said the same about Sanchez.

Jorginho would have been a serious buy for City and kept their CM ticking over very nicely, not that they needed another brilliant CM but its nice to at least stop them from one signing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement