Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Thread Bonanza (World Cup watch included)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Lukker- wrote: »
    Chelsea would have had to pay the €7m release clause for Sarri anyways. So you can deduct that sum from the figure outright.

We don't know how the deal is structured incentive wise either. And certainly the idea that City was choice between the two, isn't supported by the brief that City themselves pushed, which was they only want players who want to play for City.

As far as I know (what I’ve read) is that Napoli weren’t entitled to compensation as they parted ways & appointed a new number, but that’s neither here nor there. City also briefed the press that Jorginho was forced into the move to Chelsea didn’t they? Either way, he’s at Chelsea end of. Best of luck to him, as a City fan I’m very much looking forward to watching him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Man Utd want Maguire according to Sky

He was only ok last year but he is overated after some good WC performances. He is going to cost huge money too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MD1990 wrote: »

He was only ok last year but he is overated after some good WC performances. He is going to cost huge money too.

i can see what Mourinho likes in him. he's a good front post defender. he heads the ball well, and has a bit of John Terry about him in terms of all that, as well as his sheer size.

the thing is, he's not the leader JT was.
    he doesn't have the presence.
    he doesn't have the passing ability.
    plus he turns like an oil tanker.

immensely overrated after the World Cup.

there are far better defenders out there, but Utd have obviously been struggling to land their targets this summer, for whatever reason. whether that's Mourinho, Woodward or something else. Maguire might be seen as someone gettable, who can improve, and is better than most of the CBs they currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

SlickRic wrote: »
    i can see what Mourinho likes in him. he's a good front post defender. he heads the ball well, and has a bit of John Terry about him in terms of all that, as well as his sheer size.

the thing is, he's not the leader JT was.
    he doesn't have the presence.
    he doesn't have the passing ability.
    plus he turns like an oil tanker.

immensely overrated after the World Cup.

there are far better defenders out there, but Utd have obviously been struggling to land their targets this summer, for whatever reason. whether that's Mourinho, Woodward or something else. Maguire might be seen as someone gettable, who can improve, and is better than most of the CBs they currently have.

His passing is actually quite good, surprisingly so. You're right in that it wouldn't be at Terrys level of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Apparently £60m is the figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Maguire was always going to be linked with a move after the WC, however, any top 6 side willing to spend money him would need their heads examined.

Watch him join Chelsea on deadline day for 50m. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't think he's much of an improvement on Phil Jones,
    if even any improvement.

Leicester should sell him though for the money reported, especially after getting Evans for 3m was it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

70m for Maguire is a bit steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

newcastle have signed fabian schar for 3m

for nothing really, could see him being sold for 10x that if he has a good season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

To say I would be amazed if united went for Maguire would be an understatement.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Makes Van Dijk look a bargain. Even with the English tax thats huge money, but that's the market.
    Did he really have a great World Cup? Given the opposition England faced I wouldn't be using the WC as a barometer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Does Maguire really make that much of an improvement to United's CB situation?

Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo are there already. Few injury problems for sure but given the prices quoted for Maguire, would they not be better off just throwing a bucketload of cash at someone who is a clear improvement? Say, Boateng (linked to PSG this week), Varane, Alderweireld, Koulibaly or Manolas?

I'm just not sure Maguire is that much better than any of the current CBs at United other than, potentially, his fitness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo are there already. Few injury problems for sure but given the prices quoted for Maguire, would they not be better off just throwing a bucketload of cash at someone who is a clear improvement? Say, Boateng (linked to PSG this week), Varane, Alderweireld, Koulibaly or Manolas?

I'm just not sure Maguire is that much better than any of the current CBs at United other than, potentially, his fitness.

Meh, the bolded above can't either make the England squad (Smalling) the England starting 11 (Jones) or are seemingly not trusted by Jose (Lindelof & Rojo). Given Bailly's injuries I think it kind of make sense.

Price is crazy but that's the market.

Really don't understand some folks rather un-natural attachment to Smalling or Jones.
    They really aren't Utd calibre ala Vidic, Rio, Pallister, Bruce.

I seem to recall Utd paying at the time obscene money for a certain Rio Ferdinand who would go on to be a lynchpin in their central defence for years.

I'm not suggesting or comparing Maguire to Rio, they are very different players - but I think he's a huge upgrade on the abject mediocrity of the other options, perhaps Lindelof aside if he's ever even trusted (Who was also signed for big money.

Though I will miss the opportunities for Jones gifs :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He's an improvement on Jones and Rojo, and probably Smalling.

just not enough of one to warrant the outlay IMO.

as StringerBell says, I'd be shocked if Utd actually go after him properly. it would only be if Mourinho and Woodward decide they have to get somebody.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Meh, the bolded above can't either make the England squad (Smalling) the England starting 11 (Jones) or are seemingly not trusted by Jose (Lindelof & Rojo). Given Bailly's injuries I think it kind of make sense.

Price is crazy but that's the market.

Really don't understand some folks rather un-natural attachment to Smalling or Jones.
    They really aren't Utd calibre ala Vidic, Rio, Pallister, Bruce.

I seem to recall Utd paying at the time obscene money for a certain Rio Ferdinand who would go on to be a lynchpin in their central defence for years.

I'm not suggesting or comparing Maguire to Rio, they are very different players - but I think he's a huge upgrade on the abject mediocrity of the other options, perhaps Lindelof aside if he's ever even trusted (Who was also signed for big money.

Though I will miss the opportunities for Jones gifs :P

I have no particular attachment to any of United's defenders but I just don't see what Maguire offers that the rest don't. He's a good defender playing in a good side but I don't think he elevates the current United defence to another level.

The market is volatile, prices are high but that doesn't mean you can't still get the right players. The ones I mentioned - Boateng, Alderweireld, Koulibaly, for e.g. - might all cost slightly more than Maguire but, I would suggest that they are worth the extra for what they would bring.

As a Liverpool fan, I've seen years of poor defensive signings. I am much happier than Liverpool held off and spent big on Van Dijk in the winter rather than signing, say, De Vrij last summer as many (myself included!) called for at the time.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    He's an improvement on Jones and Rojo, and probably Smalling.

just not enough of one to warrant the outlay IMO.

as StringerBell says, I'd be shocked if Utd actually go after him properly. it would only be if Mourinho and Woodward decide they have to get somebody.

That's my thinking really. He's good but is he worth throwing that much cash at? Not for me.

Spend a little more and get it right or continue as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newcastle signing Japanese international Muto from Mainz.

If Utd wanted a limited English CB theres a fella at Chelsea who they can have for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Some player.

260?cb=20140913195211

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Great Mutao
    O1oRe6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Utd wanted a limited English CB theres a fella at Chelsea who they can have for free.

Your doing your best to ship players out this summer. I'd say you'd drive Willian and Cahill to Old Trafford yourself at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

there's one at City too. I just hope they'd make a decision 'cos I can't move on my fantasy football team until they do.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Your doing your best to ship players out this summer. I'd say you'd drive Willian and Cahill to Old Trafford yourself at this stage :pac:

Special offer, buy Willian for 50m get Cahill free, petrol money included. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Thought it was obvious that Green was a HG quota signing. Media probably trying to make something from nothing

https://twitter.com/matthughestimes/status/1022739741450616832?s=21

astradave wrote: »
    Thought it was obvious that Green was a HG quota signing. Media probably trying to make something from nothing

https://twitter.com/matthughestimes/status/1022739741450616832?s=21

Last year Eduardo was 3rd choice and didnt play at all, now it means if we have to, we can add another non-HG player to the squad.

If Green plays this year it will be due to injury to the 2 GKs ahead of him.

What would be worrying as a Chelsea fan is if Courtois goes and no 1st choice GK is signed, pushing Caballero to #1 and Greeen #2, that would be a nightmare scenario. :pac:

Last year Eduardo was 3rd choice and didnt play at all, now it means if we have to, we can add another non-HG player to the squad.

If Green plays this year it will be due to injury to the 2 GKs ahead of him.

What would be worrying as a Chelsea fan is if Courtois goes and no 1st choice GK is signed, pushing Caballero to #1 and Greeen #2, that would be a nightmare scenario. :pac:

For ye yeah, for non chelsea fans it would be hilarious:D we live in hope

• Advertisement

I'd nearly feel safer with Green on goal.

Whats even funnier is that Hilario is one of the GK coaches at the club too.

Blind, leading the blind. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Think those of you sleeping on Maguire are mad, I've been banging the Maguire drum for a few years now.

He's been a pro for 7 years and won player of the year at whatever club he's been at in 5 of them.

He was ready to play for a top 6 team last year but Leicester were the only ones awake and look like they might make 50 million on a 1 year player.

He's big, strong and in the age of VAR practically unstoppable in the opposition box. Wish Arsenal would buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Plus it's nice to see Chelsea continue on from where they left off last year, signing players without any input from the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

al87987 wrote: »
    Think those of you sleeping on Maguire are mad, I've been banging the Maguire drum for a few years now.

He's been a pro for 7 years and won player of the year at whatever club he's been at in 5 of them.

He was ready to play for a top 6 team last year but Leicester were the only ones awake and look like they might make 50 million on a 1 year player.

He's big, strong and in the age of VAR practically unstoppable in the opposition box. Wish Arsenal would buy him.

He's a good old fashioned defender imo but if he is playing CL football he'll get passed around like a traffic cone by better players/teams playing decent ball. Reminds me of Shawcross at his peak hype. Wouldn't argue with his strength in the air at set pieces though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Plus it's nice to see Chelsea continue on from where they left off last year, signing players without any input from the manager.

I doubt Sarri will lose too much sleep over getting a foreign player spot back and a strange face carrying out the balls to warm up Courtois.

• Advertisement

Last year? You're about 15 years too late with that stick I'm afraid. :D

Thats part of the reason ye're stuck with Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Bought last year for approx £24m. Sold for approx £12m.

7 PL appearances totaling 249 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Pter wrote: »
    Bought last year for approx £24m. Sold for approx £12m.

7 PL appearances totaling 249 minutes.

He was a good player arriving, badly managed by a club that's consistently been badly managed since Moyes left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd nearly feel safer with Green on goal.

Whats even funnier is that Hilario is one of the GK coaches at the club too.

Blind, leading the blind. :pac:

So Hilario would be 3rd choice if Willy and Green get struck down :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Carl Ikeme has retired after medical advice.

pjohnson wrote: »
    So Hilario would be 3rd choice if Willy and Green get struck down :pac:

Hilarious

Golovin confirmed to Monaco.

At one stage looked like a done deal to Chelsea then for a few weeks it went cold.

Would have been interesting having him in a midfield 3 with Kante and Jorginho.

Have only seen Golovin at the World Cup so would have liked to get another look at him.

In other news, Besiktas have enquired about Simon Mignolet and Olympiakos for Lazar Markovic, so they should be on the way out of Liverpool soon.

And Bournemouth target Jefferson Lerma put in a transfer request at Levante (or was it Leganes?) after a reported bid of 22.2m was rejected. If that goes through, he'd be their record signing and would follow Diego Rico (left back) and David Brooks (attacking midfield) in this summer. Sky reporting that Rico turned down an approach from Dortmund to join Bournemouth too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Have only seen Golovin at the World Cup so would have liked to get another look at him.

In other news, Besiktas have enquired about Simon Mignolet and Olympiakos for Lazar Markovic, so they should be on the way out of Liverpool soon.

And Bournemouth target Jefferson Lerma put in a transfer request at Levante (or was it Leganes?) after a reported bid of 22.2m was rejected. If that goes through, he'd be their record signing and would follow Diego Rico (left back) and David Brooks (attacking midfield) in this summer. Sky reporting that Rico turned down an approach from Dortmund to join Bournemouth too.

Brooks is a signing that sort of went under the radar earlier in the summer. I think he will be a very good signing for Bournemouth, really nice left foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/SkySports_Keith/status/1022920793649553413

Japanese international Muto joins Newcastle, subject to work permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea want Pickford to replace courtois. Can't see everton selling but if they do, Alisson won't be the most expensive keeper for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

rob316 wrote: »
    Chelsea want Pickford to replace courtois. Can't see everton selling but if they do, Alisson won't be the most expensive keeper for long.

Don't believe that tbh, nowhere reputable reporting it

Sky do seem to report a lot of these from their "sources" that make sense in ways, a bit like a Willian-Martial swap, while also taking bets on their next club over on SkyBet as well like the crooks they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Chelsea will sign butland.

Isn't he championship at the moment ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd give Butland the year to attempt to make the step up, hopefully even we make CL and even if he doesn't turn into a top keeper there could be a few more options on the market next year

He's worth a year imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea will sign butland.

Isn't he championship at the moment ??

Well he plays for Everton so not far off. :o Hang on that's Pickford isn't it? Or Pope. So many average English keeper around these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Well he plays for Everton so not far off. :o Hang on that's Pickford isn't it? Or Pope. So many average English keeper around these days.

Whichever one the stoke one is haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pickford is well above average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think Pickford is the real deal, you could see the intensity at the WC. If he joins someone like Chelsea I think he'd shine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Don't believe that tbh, nowhere reputable reporting it

Sky do seem to report a lot of these from their "sources" that make sense in ways, a bit like a Willian-Martial swap, while also taking bets on their next club over on SkyBet as well like the crooks they are

Sky PLC don't own SkyBet.

Advertisement